Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: The Mission

• Start Topic

The Brobergs call in the FBI to search for Jan; Jan is tasked with a disturbing responsibility

Air Date: October 6, 2022

This thread is for the discussion of the EPISODE, if you wish to speak about the family in the media, or Compare/Contrast the documentary, please do that in the appropriate thread.

I have to say Hendrix Yancey (young Jan) is an amazing little actress. 

Bob seems to be the only adult acting “somewhat” reasonably. And I say somewhat because he’s about 24hrs too late in calling the police. I can see the fear on Gail’s face, but there’s also a kind of indignation?

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I think one of the reasons the UFO/mission stuff was what B used to manipulate Jan, is because the themes share a lot of similarities to the LDS faith (Joseph Smith being spoken to directly by God, how the faith portrays angels etc). Someone who is LDS or more educated about it than me could expand on that.

For the record, nothing B has done is condoned by ANY religion, I’m just saying that given her background Jan would’ve heard similar stories and it would’ve had an emotional connection for her. A perfect ruse to emotionally manipulate and groom an innocent girl. It’s similar to how other figures of authority have used religious devotion to manipulate kids (and adults as well). 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

I wonder why B chose the alien narrative to influence and brainwash Jan. Maybe he was trying to create an alternate sense of belonging and invisible wall, away from the earthy family.

On 10/6/2022 at 11:04 PM, Armchair Critic said:

The FBI didn’t know what a pedophile is? WTF?!

Maybe the agents were more familiar with the term childlove.

There were childlove movements in the 70s, right?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Also- I realized where I knew the FBI Agent from, he’s Austin Stowell, he was in The Hating Game with Lucy Hale. He’s so tall!

I've been thinking he looks familiar but I didn't see that so that's not it. I need to google him lol.

ETA: I know him from Keep Breathing.

• Love 1

I am out after seeing this episode. I guess the writer of this mess regards Mexico police as complete idiots since they put a 12 year old girl  in the same car and jail cells in close proximity. Who would arrest a young, terrified girl and put her in a miserable jail cell after she has been rescued from her kidnapper? The slow moving and ridiculous reactions of Jan's parents had been driving me crazy, but this jail scenario is insane.

52 minutes ago, Kenz said:

I am out after seeing this episode. I guess the writer of this mess regards Mexico police as complete idiots since they put a 12 year old girl  in the same car and jail cells in close proximity. Who would arrest a young, terrified girl and put her in a miserable jail cell after she has been rescued from her kidnapper? The slow moving and ridiculous reactions of Jan's parents had been driving me crazy, but this jail scenario is insane.

It’s all based on a true story. 

• LOL 1
2 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

It’s all based on a true story. 

At the beginning of the program it issues a statement that the story has been fictionalized with certain events, etc , so I have no doubt that they dramatized the Mexican jail scenes to the hilt. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Kenz said:

At the beginning of the program it issues a statement that the story has been fictionalized with certain events, etc , so I have no doubt that they dramatized the Mexican jail scenes to the hilt. 

The script has followed the book’s accounts very closely. Can’t say more about that here. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 10/11/2022 at 11:59 AM, Kenz said:

I was out after half the first episode. Too creepy. 

On 10/8/2022 at 4:20 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I think one of the reasons the UFO/mission stuff was what B used to manipulate Jan

Really late here, probably no one will see my reply. It was either the first episode or this one that Jan was watching some type of Star Trek or Lost in Space show, and her Dad said something like she watches too much of these alien shows.  So I take it that B knew she was drawn to that genre and thus preyed upon it. 

• Like 1