Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E22: The Sub-Zero Scramble

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Stevie Nicks said:

Rips boat continues to need a good smudging or an exorcist or something. The bad luck on that boat is crazy. 

I think we've seen the last of the CM thanks to Josh's stupidity. 

What he did was not stupidity but I am glad that Discovery has finally cut Josh loose.  DC has fired him.

DC was never going to fire Josh.   They promoted him sooooo bad as "continuing the Old Man's Legacy."   Now they have to scrub all the footage for upcoming episodes of the CM.    Bwahahahahahahahahahah.

We go from Rip saying "we get the quota because we get it done" to yet ANOTHER breakdown.   I would not sail on that boat.   Sailors are supposed to be superstitous and there is some seriously bad juju on that boat.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

There were some ridiculously bad edits depicting sea conditions and ice floes.  How many establishing shots of a given F/V showed completely bare of ice rails and decks, only to immediately cut to guys with sledge hammers pounding away at accumulated ice?  The opposite happened, as well.  

I loved Bill's outsized concern as to the sorting of crabs.  If he develops a reputation for skirting the rules, every drop he makes at any cannery would be problematic.  Glad he was not dinged this time.  The whole issue of how to sort would be a great segment, if not full ep, as the various captains talked of their methodologies.  

The Sig edit was not comprehensible to me.  I get that he took a bigtime risk with that final string.  What I don't get is how he went from having 30 pots or so in the thickening floes, to harvesting that last hyper-risky string in basically clear waters.  How long did it take for him to find and hoist aboard all those ice-bound pots?  How many did he lose?  Not a word about any losses, either.  How much time elapsed?  Also no mention of the limited tank time. 

How much of the alleged $4 million bounty the Patty Lee might claim would go to the crew?  Why didn't the captain explain that little detail to his lads when he approached them about extending their season?  What's that?  Ohhhhh.  Disco staged that meeting and the decision had already been taken.    

OK.  There may not even be a next season of crab harvesting.  So, time for Tony Beets to buy Josh's share of the CM?  I'd watch.

7 hours ago, iluvobx said:

What he did was not stupidity but I am glad that Discovery has finally cut Josh loose.  DC has fired him.

It was indeed stupidity. Criminal stupidity. I'm so glad he's gone. He always seemed smarmy to me, and useless as a captain. 

• Love 3

Stupidity is shoplifting, speeding things like that.  What he did is sick and not stupidity.  Just because he was able to pled to a lesser charge does not change what he did and that was not stupidity.

I am so glad he is finally GONE.  I used to like Casey and felt bad that he had to put up with Josh but in the past couple of years, he was getting just as nauseating as Josh. 

Maybe now DC will allow Phil to rest in peace.

• Love 3

Think about all the people involved in the show who knew. Knew and said nothing. Ok, maybe they couldn't say anything - sealed juvenile record, etc. But to pal around with him? Knowing? I have to think they just didn't.

But Phil knew.

I don't know how they continue with OR drop the CM next year. Casey's been tied at the hip to him. Do they just have Rowe quickly mutter "Captain Casey, captain of the CM" with no further comment? Or cut them out entirely. If he's still an owner and they're paying gas/fees for the boat, they're still tied to him.  Easier to drop the boat entirely. Though they just stopped including Edgar and never said a word and continued to pay the NW. 

I don't know how crab contracts work but we've seen Captains ask crew if they want to stay out and fish more or not. I guess it depends on whether the contract is for the # of pounds, or a period of time.  If they're close to the end of either, extending without consent of the crew would be a form of kidnapping, because you'd be holding them past what they contracted to do. But maybe they're written so that the season can be extended by the captain with a higher rate after ___ days/pounds, and then they're stuck with whatever the captain wants to do.

On 9/22/2022 at 6:39 AM, iluvobx said:

Stupidity is shoplifting, speeding things like that.  What he did is sick and not stupidity.  Just because he was able to pled to a lesser charge does not change what he did and that was not stupidity.

I am so glad he is finally GONE.  I used to like Casey and felt bad that he had to put up with Josh but in the past couple of years, he was getting just as nauseating as Josh. 

Maybe now DC will allow Phil to rest in peace.

Wait a darn minute! What did I miss? This show has been going downhill for many seasons now, and I get so tired of all the over dramatization BS, and the fact that Josh and Casey are buffoons. Josh does jack shit other than sit up in the captain's wheelhouse chain smoking, while Casey does all the actual captaining. Josh couldn't captain his way out of a paper bag which is why even on the spin off Hawaii show they need Casey because all Josh does is say repeatedly, 'well the old man said this..." and "the old man said that..." He is a useless schmuck. And yes, I totally agree that originally I was wondering WTF Casey would tether himself to this idiot, but the last few seasons Casey has grown just as tiresome and assholish as Josh is. And don't get me started on them constantly whining and opining about not being on the crab, so they beg someone to partner with them and then they screw them over.

All that said, I must have glazed over during some of the recent episodes, what did Josh do that got him fired, finally?!

ETA: Never mind, I just googled it and I'm boggled, how disgusting.

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 4