Type keyword(s) to search

S43.E01: Livin

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

20 hours ago, meep.meep said:

The identifying marks are part of the game - it's how one player signals to the others that this is his/her vote.

And if you used cards, then the voters could look at how many were left and figure out how the people before them had voted.

There's nothing really wrong with spelling mistakes, and I can only remember one time when Probst couldn't figure out who the vote was for (Ghandia in Thailand was the "Denver Diva")

That's why I think it would be good to cut out the identifying marks, makes playing that little bit harder.

Numbers can be avoided by having a gazillion of each name or by having a self replenishing system that slides a new name token forward when one is used, like in shops.

16 hours ago, millennium said:

"Cody, how's business?"

"Oh you know, up and down."

My joke on Wednesday night was that I hope he didn’t sell elevators door-to-door.

It’s one of things where it’s probably not that bizarre an occupation, but it just sound bizarre. Are there many manufacturers. What are their differences?

Just checking . . . when was this filmed? I was thinking that Morriah got voted off because she was too similar to Maryann, but I figure S43 was filmed before May. I don’t think Morriah got the boot for obvious, superficial reasons . . . but a crappy reason might be better than theat stated, which is basically “Ehhhhhhhhh? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

In general, I think it’s standard procedure for casts to be unaware of the season right before them. That’s why people can play back-to-back seasons without anyone knowing how they play. Can’t say for sure on this season, but I’d be very surprised if this cast knew about Maryanne.

I am one of those who got very Maryanne-ish bubbly, quirky vibes from Morriah, and I was sorry to see her go. I liked her (visibly) colorful attitude, and also wanted to see how long those extensions could retain their vibrancy before settling in the brown end of the spectrum.

Happy to have the show back. Not sure how I feel about having it on with the Amazing Race, though. Too many new people to sort out, too much to watch on one night.  Take pity, CBS! Spread the wealth!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

That was a pretty good premiere. Glad they only had one Tribal so we could get lots of camp life scenes.

Early faves: Owen, Gabler, Nneka, Sami.

"Baka" means idiot in Japanese, so of course every time they cut to Baka failing at something, I had a good chuckle.

• LOL 2
On 9/23/2022 at 11:25 AM, Kelda Feegle said:

I'd really like to see voting done by choosing a card or something that is pre-printed with the names so that we avoid all the spelling issues and the identifying marks like hearts, smiley faces and cutesy tags.

Nooooo!  I love seeing the different writing styles.  Who uses cursive?  Who prints?  The misspellings are just icing on the cake.  Ricard of season 41 had the most gorgeous classic cursive penmanship.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I forgot to bring up a few other things.

1, Cody's "LIVIN" tattoo. First thought: he can't spell. Or maybe he couldn't afford the "G." He might be so poor, he couldn't afford an apostrophe.

2. I caught Ryan's arm tattoo. He's got what appears to be the Opprobrious mark that the Homunculi in the anime Fullmetal Alchemist. It could mean something else, but I'm tickle an otaku might have been cast. Look out for this in the next episode:

image.png.f23fc0a0cd284c08b1026774e5527852.png

I almost forgot one of the good things about Survivor . . . waiting on Erik Reichenbach's take of each episode. Here's the first one for S43:

image.png.218607ed8871e358c58822d67cf9e8ce.png

4 hours ago, Valerie said:

"Baka" means idiot in Japanese, so of course every time they cut to Baka failing at something, I had a good chuckle.

I knew I was forgetting something! And yeah, that's what I was thinking! Did you see the tattoo on Ryan's arm as well?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

In general, I think it’s standard procedure for casts to be unaware of the season right before them. That’s why people can play back-to-back seasons without anyone knowing how they play. Can’t say for sure on this season, but I’d be very surprised if this cast knew about Maryanne.

They may not know that Maryanne won, but they are aware of the S42 cast.  One tribe name-checked Jonathan while assembling their shelter, noting that he made using the machete look easy.

Usually for Survivor, it's the cast on the even-numbered seasons that are mostly unaware of what happened in the previous odd-numbered season.  That's how they got away with re-using the majority of the twists in S41 in S42.

While this was the case even before the pandemic, that made the recording gap closer.  As I understand it, now they're basically flying the second cast down while shooting the first set, so the cast can quarantine for two weeks in Fiji before starting.   And the crew has been in isolation since before the first cast was flown in. 

In the before-times, there were occasions when the even-numbered casts had seen the start of their preceding odd-numbered season, but not all of it.  For example: FvF was #16, and the tribe of fans recognized James from China (#15), but didn't seem to recognize Amanda (same season).

And the majority of back-to-back players (seven of the eleven/thirteen) first appeared in odd-numbered seasons.  The exceptions are two groups of two.  The first are Stephenie and Bobby Jon.  Palau is 10 and Guatemala 11, and all of Palau aired before Guatemala shot.  The other pair are Joe and Shirin. WA is 30, and Cambodia 31.  But since Cambodia was filmed 32nd, they didn't really play back-to-back.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

My joke on Wednesday night was that I hope he didn’t sell elevators door-to-door.

It’s one of things where it’s probably not that bizarre an occupation, but it just sound bizarre. Are there many manufacturers. What are their differences?

Just checking . . . when was this filmed? I was thinking that Morriah got voted off because she was too similar to Maryann, but I figure S43 was filmed before May. I don’t think Morriah got the boot for obvious, superficial reasons . . . but a crappy reason might be better than theat stated, which is basically “Ehhhhhhhhh? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I think the cast of 43 could see the pre-merge of 42 before they flew out to film.

I agree with those that think the tribe made a mistake in voting out Morriah.  Interesting that Elie and Jeanine went along with the idea that "we need the guys for strength".  Owen doesn't look that strong.

Gabler irritates me.  I automatically dislike anyone who goes on Survivor insisting that they be called by their last name.  He was a big part of why they lost the immunity challenge, he wasn't doing his part and Sami called him out on it.  But then he goes on this self-sacrificial "I'm as much of a reason why we lost so I'm not going to use my Idol and I'm going to play my Shot in the Dark".  Which, of course, he didn't do, because "other people talked him out of it".

Personally, I would have called his bluff.  Vote him out with the Idol in his pocket.

Is his Idol good for the next two tribal councils, meaning after Episode 2 it's null, or is it the next two tribal councils that he attends? 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Lucas Rowan said:

It's good for one more Tribal Council that Baka attends.

Technically, it's good for one more TC that Gabler attends, regardless of which tribe he's on.

In the hypothetical (but incredibly unlikely) scenario of a tribe swap in the next episode, and Gabler ending up on either non-Baka tribe:

1. If nuBaka then went to TC, Gabler's idol would still be valid.
  2. If nuBaka didn't go to TC, but Gabler's new tribe did, his idol would become null as soon as Peachy started reading the votes.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't get why Moriah was voted out.  she did very well on the challenges.  i would have voted out one of the other two women, who didn't seem to do as much, and one pretty much lost the immunity challenge for the team.  i hate to think that she was voted out because she was more different than the others.  

good thinking by Sam on the savvy challenge.  i never would have thought about creating a five figure number out of the four.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 9/25/2022 at 11:52 AM, jsm1125 said:

I think the cast of 43 could see the pre-merge of 42 before they flew out to film.

I rewatched tonight. One of the players actually said “we saw 41 and 42”.

12 hours ago, Hanahope said:

I don't get why Moriah was voted out.  she did very well on the challenges.  i would have voted out one of the other two women, who didn't seem to do as much, and one pretty much lost the immunity challenge for the team.  i hate to think that she was voted out because she was more different than the others.  

good thinking by Sam on the savvy challenge.  i never would have thought about creating a five figure number out of the four.  

Agreed- upon rewatching, Jeanine really was the weakest in the challenge, if that truly was their motivation. Gabler wasn’t great either. I have a feeling Jeanine and elie bonded closer so they were using “weakest person” as an excuse. 

• Love 1

The way it was edited it seems that Ellie was in charge and knew that Jeanine and gabler were easier to manipulate, that's why she chose to keep them. Jeanine was the weakest link and she was saved, but she took no credit for it, Ellie took all the credit and that's something that will matter later on.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Lucas Rowan said:

Elie went along with it.  In fact, it was her idea.  Jeanine actually didn't want to go along with it and tried to talk Elie out of it.

It seems that Ellie happened to be the strongest personality with persuasion abilities, she even said it herself that due to her profession she has the ability to make people do things. Maybe Ellie gor scared of Morriah who seemed to have a strong personality as well.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, SummerDreams said:

It seems that Ellie happened to be the strongest personality with persuasion abilities, she even said it herself that due to her profession she has the ability to make people do things. Maybe Ellie gor scared of Morriah who seemed to have a strong personality as well.

Yes, Elie reminds me a lot of Shan from two seasons ago.  Shan said that her job as a pastor is to make all the people think that they are making the decisions when really her goal is to get them to do what she wants to be done, without them knowing it.  The way Elie went on and on and on about her job as a psychotherapist made her sound every bit as manipulative as Shan sounded.

If she thinks being a therapist is all about making people do things, then I'd say she's a pretty awful therapist.  The therapist isn't supposed to make people do what she wants.  The therapist is supposed to listen to the client, and make some suggestions.  Above all, it is about guiding the client into making good choices of their own free will.  It's not about "making people do things".

Gabler and Elie are my two least favorite so far.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 5
43 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Yes, Elie reminds me a lot of Shan from two seasons ago.  Shan said that her job as a pastor is to make all the people think that they are making the decisions when really her goal is to get them to do what she wants to be done, without them knowing it.  The way Elie went on and on and on about her job as a psychotherapist made her sound every bit as manipulative as Shan sounded.

If she thinks being a therapist is all about making people do things, then I'd say she's a pretty awful therapist.  The therapist isn't supposed to make people do what she wants.  The therapist is supposed to listen to the client, and make some suggestions.  Above all, it is about guiding the client into making good choices of their own free will.  It's not about "making people do things".

Gabler and Elie are my two least favorite so far.

Elie didn't go on and on about her job; it was one or two sentences. She didn't say "being a therapist is all about making people do things". She did say it was part of her job, but she elaborated that it is to help them adjust their behavior, to keep them from doing things that hurt them - not to get them to do what she wants. I think all she meant by it was that she could use those same skills in this, very different, context. At any rate, I don't think these little soundbites that people say in Survivor confessionals as they discuss their gameplay should be taken so seriously or literally. If Elie starts exhibiting truly awful behavior toward the others or excessively gloating, I'll change my opinion, but for now all she's done is played the game and voted out a nice person.

53 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Elie didn't go on and on about her job; it was one or two sentences. She didn't say "being a therapist is all about making people do things". She did say it was part of her job, but she elaborated that it is to help them adjust their behavior, to keep them from doing things that hurt them - not to get them to do what she wants. I think all she meant by it was that she could use those same skills in this, very different, context. At any rate, I don't think these little soundbites that people say in Survivor confessionals as they discuss their gameplay should be taken so seriously or literally. If Elie starts exhibiting truly awful behavior toward the others or excessively gloating, I'll change my opinion, but for now all she's done is played the game and voted out a nice person.

She talked about her job enough that it made it memorable.  Apart from her, Cody the elevator salesman, and the pet cremator, I have no clue yet what any of these people do for a living, because either they didn't talk about it or they didn't talk about it enough to make it stick in my head.  And the way she talked about her job and how she's going to use her skills on Survivor made her sound like a very manipulative person.  As I said, to me, it was an instant reminder of Shan.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

As I said, to me, it was an instant reminder of Shan.

At least Elie didn't arrive with her own self-created villain theme music!

On 9/22/2022 at 4:00 PM, eel21788 said:

What happens when Jeff announces a reward that includes alcoholic beverages but states there is a virgin alternative for Sami? Maybe he'll try to claim it's a religious thing.

I think Sami will not drink for three reasons:

1. He’s underage. 
2. He’s LDS. 
3. He goes to BYU which has a strictly enforced honor code and students are encouraged to report violations. 

First episodes are hard to comment on as so much is happening and everyone are strangers but here goes.

Instant dislike for 19 years old young Tom Hanks and his cavalier attitude about being a pet cremator. People that care enough about their pets to do that take is seriously and he seemed disrespectful to me. It's just a paycheck to him I guess. I hope he bites the bullet early on.

Can't believe they kept out of shape, less attractive Woo clone over the  Maryanne clone. At least she had distinctive hair and you could tell her apart. It's all the psychiatrists's fault. She comes on with a sob story about her sister making her seem sympathetic but instead she turns out to be a manipulator with bad judgement. She blows up the Girls/Girl alliance quicker than BIG BROTHER did and I hope it claims her as a victem.

Jeannine naturally is my favorite as I always root for the sexy asian girl until their inevitable boot. I wish she were on a better team.

Gabler won't get far with lousy game play like volunteering to take the shot in the dark just be noble. Don't waste a slot that someone else probably desperatly wanted.

Elevator salesman is a smarmy knock off of Boston Rob without any charm. Please exit soon.

Karla think she's a lynch pin but I see her as easy boot cannon fodder.

Nobody else really stands out yet.

Edited by North of Eden
  • Love 2
On 9/21/2022 at 9:02 PM, LadyChatts said:

I also don’t understand Sami’s logic lying about his age.  It might actually work to his advantage if people think he’s a dumb kid.

If Sami thinks the difference between 19 and 22 is that monumental, then yeah – he IS a dumb kid.  😄

On 9/21/2022 at 10:09 PM, susannot said:

Also Pet Cremator???  Has there ever been a more off-putting job description on any show?  He said he lovingly laid shih-tzus to rest.  OK, I know someone has to do it.  But are we supposed to like him for it?

Of course kid (forget his name) will go far as he is big and strong and as long as his teammates don't find out that he kills animals for a living.  I don't think that will fly.

Don’t quote me on this, but I’m pretty certain cremating live animals is illegal in, like, every state in the USA.  😂

On 9/22/2022 at 12:01 PM, Apocalypso said:

I thought "Text me back" would have been a good title for the episode.  I liked it as a metaphor for preliminary selection of potential allies.

I was SO hoping somebody would give us a “textual tension” quote, but alas….

On 9/24/2022 at 4:14 PM, Lantern7 said:

Floor-to-floor, maybe?  😁

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1