Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 9/19/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Sept. 19 – Network Pre-emption

Tuesday, Sept. 20 – Jenifer Lewis (author, “Walking In My Joy”)

Wednesday, Sept. 21 – Billy Eichner (actor and co-writer, “Bros”); Neil deGrasse Tyson (author, “Starry Messenger: Cosmic Perspectives on Civilization”)

Thursday, Sept. 22 – Tyler Perry (“A Jazzman’s Blues”)

Friday, Sept. 23 – U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, Linda Thomas-Greenfield

• Thanks 1

Dear Asunción, you may have a lot of things to criticize Nikki Hailey for, but calling her out for an anglicized nickname is petty.

Sunny is being an obnoxious know-it-all today. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 2
  • Love 20
21 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Dear Asunción, you may have a lot of things to criticize Nikki Hailey for, but calling her out for an anglicized nickname is petty.

I have not seen the show yet, but I have noticed that Sunny uses many of the GOP's childish tactics. For example, calling Desantis Deathsantis. I dont like him and I think he is evil personified, but I find a lot of the things she says to be petty and childish. There are a million things to criticize both of these clowns for, but she has to go there. Her strawman argument about abortion last week is straight out of their playbook as well. I canceled her for myself so I don't even know why I am talking about her,but the irony of her mentioning Nikki changing her name when she has done the same thing was just too much to take. To be clear-not defending Nikki or the Florida governor at all.

• Love 12

I agree with Sunny that this being the first time Biden's said something a bit different, and after a rise in approval, does make you wonder about Garland's investigation. I did laugh when Whoopi somehow made Sunny's point about Nikki Haley into a dig at her (since her real name is Caryn)....

To Alyssa's point about 'new blood'--this is the same chatter that always happens, that seldom ends up happening in reality. I think it's more a case of hoping so on her part more than anything (and for the obvious reason).

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 1

Sunny's self-righteousness is up to 11 today--criticizing Nikki Haley's chosen name and insisting that married women should advise single ones. I often think Whoopi (Caryn Johnson) is too hard on Sunny, but today I could see how all of that could get on her nerves.

• Like 4
  • Love 6

Sunny Hostin, shut the hell up!!!! I'm halfway into the show, and I'm over her today.  She kept interrupting Alyssa today at ever turn. Let the woman speak and express herself. If the tables were turned, she'd have an issue with this course of action. Sunny is becoming too much to handle. Back in the day, I hated the way Whoopi would treat her sometimes.  However, on days like this, Whoopi needs to check miss know it all, is never wrong, Hostin. 🤮

• Like 6
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I have not seen the show yet, but I have noticed that Sunny uses many of the GOP's childish tactics

For such a smart educated accomplished woman Sunny can be very childish.  From the way she bats her eyes to her stories about destroying Manny's phone and throwing away a birthday cake given to Manny by a coworker Sunny has a streak of immaturity in her.  When SWSNBN was on the show anyone sitting on that panel looked miles better but without her Sunny looks worse each day.  

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Haven't watched yet, but did they talk about the Queen's funeral?

There's about 20 mins left, but i didn't see anything.  Just dumb shit.  Dating as a single person vs married.  Biden re-running or who would be good.  Is the pandemic over.  A really blah ep so far.

9 minutes ago, Oneofem said:

Well thank goodness for no more Brit funeral talk,so far at least!  Over it since 1776, personally.

Omg is that you SWSRN? hah j/k (I think? lol)  🙃

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Oneofem said:

Well thank goodness for no more Brit funeral talk,so far at least!  Over it since 1776, personally.

I’m thinking they’re avoiding the funeral stuff so they don’t have to listen to Sunny and her rants about the Royal Family. 

I know we have Ana, but the next time they consider a new full time host, I’d love someone who grew up in Canada, Europe, Asia, etc instead of looking for the conservative/progressive POV. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

For such a smart educated accomplished woman Sunny can be very childish.  From the way she bats her eyes to her stories about destroying Manny's phone and throwing away a birthday cake given to Manny by a coworker Sunny has a streak of immaturity in her.  When SWSNBN was on the show anyone sitting on that panel looked miles better but without her Sunny looks worse each day.  

Sunny is just a horrible person, she has to wear designer clothes so that we all know how well off she is & how much better she is than the general population, it's Gucci again today rather than that horrible Versace crap she wears. The fact that she thinks the way she treats Manny if he dares so much as even thinks something she doesn't agree with is funny and the right thing to do shows how childish she is. She has some serious issues that are going to come back & bite her self righteous ass one day.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Sunny is being an obnoxious know-it-all today. 

Then she has the nerve to say that the reason she goes by Sunny is because "Americans" can't pronounce her given name so that's ok - she's not a "chameleon", trying to "pass", unlike Nikki, who's Indian name is undoubtedly very easy for everyone to pronounce. I think Sunny slipped up there, saying that the people who can't pronounce her name are "Americans", not just English-only speaking people. I'm sure many Americans could pronounce her given name just fine. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

So I haven't watched today's show yet but in the Nikki Haley name discussion, is it ever brought up that Nikki is her middle name?  Or are they just pretending that she pulled it out of thin air?  Also, it's a Punjabi name, so Sunny can suck it.

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

So I haven't watched today's show yet but in the Nikki Haley name discussion, is it ever brought up that Nikki is her middle name?  Or are they just pretending that she pulled it out of thin air?  Also, it's a Punjabi name, so Sunny can suck it.

Unless they revisited the topic (I managed to watch the first segment), her first name wasn't even mentioned, what with Sunny and Alyssa going back and forth, before Whoopi jumped in to say they had to go to commercial.

I'm actually surprised that they didn't even discuss the funeral.

Because there was no controversy?

Okay, just watched the segment where they talk about Nikki Haley and all I can say is that I hope that this is Sunny's last season and that they fire her over the summer, because she is just awful.  That condescending tone she was using with Alyssa.  I don't even agree with Alyssa on most things and think it's ridiculous that they hired someone from the Trump administration but the fact is that ABC did and Sunny needs to get over it and do her job, not some stupid mean girl act any time Alyssa speaks.  You don't agree with someone?  Great, that's the point of the show but you can discuss things in a civil manner and have an actual discussion with someone, not just be snide and rude the entire time.  It's shades of Meghan all over again, just with more meanness as opposed to crazy.  Second, what she said about Nikki Haley (who again, not a personal fan of), is disgusting.  Sunny's mixed race.  She knows what it's like to have people claim that you're not "x enough" and claiming that Nikki Haley is denying her Indian heritage because she goes by her middle name (her Indian middle name) is just next level offensive.  

And I'd just like to add that all of this info about Nikki Haley that I just typed out, you know how I found it?  By using Wikipedia for five seconds, then searching for "Nikki Indian name".  So if I, a viewer, can do less than five minutes of intenet research on someone, why oh why can no one on The View do the same?  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Did anyone catch Sarah's crack in response to Joy saying she'd had more jabs than her honeymoon.  (That was funny.)

I loved it!!!  That comment even made Whoopi laugh out loud, and she usually only laughs at her own jokes!  

I love that Sarah can joke around with Joy like that - to me, it shows a natural friendship.  

• Like 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Sunny is just a horrible person, she has to wear designer clothes so that we all know how well off she is & how much better she is than the general population, it's Gucci again today rather than that horrible Versace crap she wears. The fact that she thinks the way she treats Manny if he dares so much as even thinks something she doesn't agree with is funny and the right thing to do shows how childish she is. She has some serious issues that are going to come back & bite her self righteous ass one day.

I thought the ladies' outfits were chosen by the wardrobe team for the show and technically don't belong to the ladies?  (I could be wrong)

I do agree with you that Sunny is definitely more into wearing logo'd designer stuff than the others, but I bet all their clothes are pretty pricey, too, just not offering free advertising for the designer.  Even Whoopi's oversized, sloppy garments are probably some designer brand.

I'm not a fan of a lot what Sunny wears, especially the Versace stuff, but I have to admit - I did like the top she had on today.  Not that I could ever afford it, but I liked it.  I also thought that Sarah's outfit today was nice, and Joy's wardrobe team has definitely been stepping it up this season.  Alyssa needs some help - she's too reminiscent of a Fox-bot - bright colors, super tight, super short skirts/dresses, with very high stiletto's.  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 1

I was (gladly & easily) distracted from the Oprah merch by the sight of 2 gorgeous fashion victims, Asunción (Eng. trans: hypocrite)in her 4 in. platforms (so unflattering to the feet/legs) & Sarah’s all too obvious strapless bra, which she’s worn previously and just as visibly.  (I did love the neckline of Sarah’s (wrinkled) dress, just wish she’d find better-fitting lingerie.)

• Love 1

Oh Sweet Jeebus Cripes!

Could they have mucked up the discussion about married friends giving advice to single friends?

First, whoever wrote that introduction about the advice column, got it WRONG. I know, because it was to Caroline Hax and printed in The Washington Post--and I read it today.

Second, the one who wrote in, was recently married--not married for a long time, SUNNY!--and the friend who was bitching about being single-wasn't dating anyone. But the married friend's attempt to empathize wasn't appreciated, because while newly married, hadn't been single "for a long time" so not at ALL was Sunny was yammering about. What a hot mess.

But Jennifer Lewis made it all better.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

I loved it!!!  That comment even made Whoopi laugh out loud, and she usually only laughs at her own jokes!  

I love that Sarah can joke around with Joy like that - to me, it shows a natural friendship.  

I was actually asking what Sarah said ... LOL.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
33 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I was actually asking what Sarah said ... LOL.

Oh, I'm sorry!!!  From The Primetimer recap:

"....Joy Behar had her co-hosts in stitches when she revealed that she just got her third COVID-19 vaccine booster shot, joking, 'I've been jabbed more than I was on my honeymoon!'  When (Sunny) Hostin asked if Behar had any arm soreness after the booster shot, Haines chimed in with a joke of her own: "What about the wedding night? Did you hurt?" Well played, Sara. Well played."

It was a great little fun moment between the hosts!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 6
49 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

Oh, I'm sorry!!!  From The Primetimer recap:

"....Joy Behar had her co-hosts in stitches when she revealed that she just got her third COVID-19 vaccine booster shot, joking, 'I've been jabbed more than I was on my honeymoon!'  When (Sunny) Hostin asked if Behar had any arm soreness after the booster shot, Haines chimed in with a joke of her own: "What about the wedding night? Did you hurt?" Well played, Sara. Well played."

It was a great little fun moment between the hosts!  

Thanks very much.  Could I have the Primetimer recap link?  TIA.

4 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I'll be honest, I had to go look up Nikki's name, and I had no idea that Nikki was of Punjabi origin. I thought it was a common enough American name, a shortened version of Nicole, or the like, and I figured that she'd taken it in an attempt at assimilation and to avoid racism. Which, understandable. Just like Sunny, I assume. Though, I figured that Sunny was a nickname for Asunción, and I assumed that Nikki had taken on her name. I stand corrected. 

To me, one main difference is that Sunny is obviously a Black woman, while Nikki might could pass as a white woman. 

I have seen so many politicians with ethnic backgrounds, particularly on the conservative side, scrub all aspects of their culture and take on Americanized names - Ted Cruz, Bobby Jindal, et al, in a bid for acceptance and to advance politically.

I'm no Alyssa fan, but Sunny has been very ugly towards her. Alyssa's totally trying to rehab her image here...I'll be honest, I'm torn. I totally get that Sunny loathes her for who she is and what she was a part of...and I get wanting to rub it in her face...HOWEVER...it makes Sunny look so very petty. And I get it. I GET it. Progressives and liberals get tired of always having to take the high road, of having to rise above. Sometimes you just wanna sling mud. But, it looks bad every time. It only get's you filthy. And, for Sunny, as a Black woman, it looks like an angry Black woman picking on a delicate white woman who's just trying to be nice. I hate the optics. And I hate the position that Sunny is in. After years of dealing with Meghan, she's tired. And I kinda even feel a little bad for Alyssa, who's trying to walk that line of repping the conservative viewpoint and trying to fit in. 

I'm appreciating how Sarah is stepping up. She's asserting herself more, asking more pointed questions, and getting in some clever quip. I like it. 

Edited by rollacoaster
  • Like 2
  • Love 6

I go back and forth on how Sunny interrupts Alyssa--on one hand it's not "right," on the other hand it makes me laugh, I admit--but I don't necessarily judge her for treating Alyssa as such. Whoopi's been treating Sunny that way for years and nobody's stopped it, and that's including today when she was being rude to Sunny over the married people giving advice to single people topic. And besides we already know all about Alyssa, I'm not going to pity her because she's getting iced out by someone on a talkshow.

7 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Okay, just watched the segment where they talk about Nikki Haley and all I can say is that I hope that this is Sunny's last season and that they fire her over the summer, because she is just awful. 

She signed a three-year contract a month ago, I believe. I think the only way anything would happen to her is if they decided to pay her out, the way they considered doing to Whoopi some years back, but I don't think things will ever get that bad that they'd actually do that. I imagine the people running this show like all these sparks Sunny's making, too... We know Teta has no standards.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Like 4
14 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I go back and forth on how Sunny interrupts Alyssa--on one hand it's not "right," on the other hand it makes me laugh, I admit--but I don't necessarily judge her for treating Alyssa as such. Whoopi's been treating Sunny that way for years and nobody's stopped it, and that's including today when she was being rude to Sunny over the married people giving advice to single people topic. And besides we already know all about Alyssa, I'm not going to pity her because she's getting iced out by someone on a talkshow.

She signed a three-year contract a month ago, I believe. I think the only way anything would happen to her is if they decided to pay her out, the way they considered doing to Whoopi some years back, but I don't think things will ever get that bad that they'd actually do that. I imagine the people running this show like all these sparks Sunny's making, too... We know Teta has no standards.

Because Sunny deserved to be treated that way.  She proves having an education doesn't make one smart nor emotionally mature.  

Edited by JAYJAY1979
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Sunny should learn that she should just let Alyssa finish her sentences rather than constantly interrupting her before she can say anything stupid. The one time she did, when everyone was stunned into silence by Alyssa saying she'd never heard of the Proud Boys, she dug herself deeper as she was allowed to continue speaking.

Edited by deirdra
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Perhaps she'll get a talking to and a time out as Whoopi did earlier this year. Granted this isn't on the same scale, but at least Whoopi's issue was (IMO) primarily due to ignorance, while Sunny here is just being what? - mean, racist (although I think that label is handed out too easily), obnoxious, partisan, self-important? 

• Love 1

Sunny Hostin is a racist hypocrite and a really disgusting person.   She is so judgmental of EVERYONE who doesn't share her views and basically accuses those folks as "racist".  Today when she attacked Nikki Haley for not using her birth game,  we found out that Sunny herself doesn't use her birth name either yet she though her excuse was ok but Nikki's (because she's Republican) wasn't.

I think most people who know of Sunny and are honest would admit she is a constant racist hypocrite but today took the cake.  Her rule of thumb is clearly "It's ok for me to do it but when you do it you're a racist".  She's awful and I have no idea why The View keeps her around.  She's not a dynamic personality, she's not particularly noteworthy for anything, and she so self-absorbed, judgmental, and once again hypocritical and racist that watching her spew her opinions and attack anyone who doesn't agree is neither enjoyable or enlightening.   She really makes the show next to unwatchable.

Edited by KennyW
misspelling
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

Sunny is officially insufferable this season. 

Today was one of her worst days.  The whole show she was being a mean girl.  I am not an Alyssa fan but personality wise she is miles better than SWSNBN. And if I recall Sunny was a lot friendlier to her.  

• Like 5
  • Love 3

Watched Tuesday's show this morning.  I never thought I would say this, but Sara was this particular episode's MVP.  When Sunny hypocritically brought up Haley's name, Sara actually interrupted Sunny and Alyssa with "I have an important question."  Score one.  Next segment, when Sunny doubled down on her hypocrisy about Haley's name, Sara was the one that brought up that Sunny doesn't go by her birth name.  Score two.  And in the next segment Sara asked if Joy's honeymoon jabs hurt.  Score three.

10 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

Sunny is officially insufferable this season. 

Sunny's been insufferable for a while now, but this season she has certainly ramped it up.  She's bordering on asshole territory.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Like 3
  • Love 10
32 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Watched Tuesday's show this morning.  I never thought I would say this, but Sara was this particular episode's MVP.  When Sunny hypocritically brought up Haley's name, Sara actually interrupted Sunny and Alyssa with "I have an important question."  Score one.  Next segment, when Sunny doubled down on her hypocrisy about Haley's name, Sara was the one that brought up that Sunny doesn't go by her birth name.  Score two.  And in the next segment Sara asked if Joy's honeymoon jabs hurt.  Score three.

I think Sara is a genuinely nice person.   She isn't going to play gotcha with her cohosts or guests.  When she called out Sunny for being a hypocrite (which she did nicely) she was saying what all of us watching were saying. 

36 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Sunny's been insufferable for a while now, but this season she has certainly ramped it up.  She's bordering on asshole territory.

I look for her to get worse.  Either this is who she really is or this is who she wants to be.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

So they have a chance to hear something really interesting from Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Whoopi has to cut him off because of time.

But they spent all that time on Adam Levine's "scandal" which they indicated they really had no desire to discuss.

Do the producers really think we want to talk about silly topics on this show?

Tyson should be booked when they have time to let him speak.

• Like 6
  • Love 4

Maybe if ABC wasn't so hell bent on selling shit, we would get a decent show but when it is constantly being interrupted, when they aren't even 7 MINUTES into the show and they go into a break, it ruins the continuity big time. The way they cut people off is so bloody annoying! If I had to watch this with all the ads, I wouldn't.

Laughed my ass off at Joy: "Who is Adam Levine?" comment. Joy? He's someone not worth you knowing about in the first place, so spending so much on time on him was stupid, childish and so unnecessary. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I think that Whoopi seems bent on having many "free" things for people. The problem is that she seems to ignore that someone has to pay for that stuff, and she's said many times how much she doesn't like paying whatever taxes she has. I'd love it if she would at least acknowledge that money for free benefits has to come from somewhere, and either taxes have to be increased, or hard decisions need to be made about what the money is spent on. In order to afford free therapy for everyone, something else will need to be cut.

Also, I liked the point that was made that there are different types of potential immigrants - those who are in real imminent danger of life and limb should be given priority, while those who want "a better life", meaning more economic opportunities, should file the appropriate paperwork and wait their turn. No one likes line jumpers even for small things, so why is skipping the official immigration process any better? As for those places that virtue signal by saying they are "sanctuaries", why not put your convictions into action and make actual efforts to relieve the pressure border states have from high numbers of illegal immigrants? Put your money where your mouth is or shut up and admit this is phony compassion signaling.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

So they have a chance to hear something really interesting from Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Whoopi has to cut him off because of time.

But they spent all that time on Adam Levine's "scandal" which they indicated they really had no desire to discuss.

Do the producers really think we want to talk about silly topics on this show?

Tyson should be booked when they have time to let him speak.

Given the panelists...silly topics are probably best.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Given the panelists...silly topics are probably best.

whoopi voiced her displeasure at having to talk about these things and i had the impression the other panelists felt the same way

• Love 1
22 hours ago, deirdra said:

Sunny should learn that she should just let Alyssa finish her sentences rather than constantly interrupting her before she can say anything stupid. The one time she did, when everyone was stunned into silence by Alyssa saying she'd never heard of the Proud Boys, she dug herself deeper as she was allowed to continue speaking.

I agree, it's a much better strategy to let her hang herself, so to speak.

Today's show was only worth watching for the Eichner interview for me since I've been looking forward to Bros!

3 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I think Joy said something about having to pee every two hours (join the Club) & I was wondering what the context was.  TIA.  (Couldn't find the print-out of the show.)

I think maybe it had to do with the discussion that medical personnel are now handing  out pamphlets to 65 year olds with  sources for emotional / depression help. She was saying why only worried about 65 year olds what about someone like me. Sunny did say her 18 was given something too. I had to go to ER this last year and I’d been talking to RN during IV starting and out of the blue she said do you feel safe? Couldn’t figure out what she was referring to until she elaborated  a bit . Think she wanted to know about possible elder abuse.  It’s a good thing.  
I hadn’t deleted yet so watched again with my cc on. . This is stated as under 65 will be getting psychological help.   Joy said why the cut off at 65 ? I’m not anxious anymore? I’m anxious about the democracy ,I’m anxious I have to pee every 2 hours.   I get it ,I’m more anxious than I’ve ever been ever and lucky I don’t have to pee every 2 hours. 

Edited by athousandclowns
Add
  • Thanks 1

Up until 1993 when the liquor stores were privatized, Alberta Health Service & Alberta Government Liquour Stores had a program where AHS paid for one bottle of booze per month for seniors "for medicinal purposes".  Brandy or sherry were popular choices. A little nip when feeling anxious helped with sleep and a feeling of well-being. And it probably cost less than doctor visits & drugs. No need for Nyquil or cough drops - just a spoon of brandy in your tea.  Joy should try it.

Edited by deirdra
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, KingCharlesIII said:

I was catching up on the past two days on my DVR. 

Does  Asunción realize she's sitting next to Caryn and Josefina - better known as Whoopi and Joy ?  Joy had said time and time again her birth name is Josefina and her Italian family always called her Josefina - she changed it to Joy when she entered college, as she never liked 'Josefina'.  Does  Asunción consider Joy a 'chameleon' who's trying to hide her heritage, too ? 

Again - between the facelift, Botox, fillers and the " Whitney Houston 1987"  wig -   Asunción looks horrible this season. Perhaps that is why she is so bitter since the season started ? 

I had forgotten that Joy goes by a nickname.  Her real name is Josephine though, not Josefina (which is the Spanish form of Josephine.  Giuseppina is the Italian form).

4 minutes ago, KingCharlesIII said:

I've been wondering - now that the Queen is dead, will Whoopi no longer do her Queen impersonations on the show ? That used to really make everyone laugh.

Everyone?

4 minutes ago, KingCharlesIII said:

Or come up with a great King Charles III impersonation. 

A tantrum over a leaky pen could be quite humorous.

• LOL 3