Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: We Light the Way

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

Daemon visits his wife in the Vale. Viserys and Rhaenyra broker agreements with the Valeryons. Alicent seeks the truth about the princess

Reminder: 

This is for discussion of the TV show only, no book talk allowed - including saying "but it's different in the books". Any other spoilers (previews, media articles, etc) and HotD extras (After The Episode, Behind The Scenes, etc) should be in spoiler tags.

8 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

I don't see how Ser Criston can beat the rap after killing one of the guests. Nothing plausible that is.

I don't think it to be anything official. I just think she'll secret him out of King's Landing.

Speaking of getting away with murder, Daemon just rubbing it in Rhea's cousin's face was quite magnificent bastard-y. You have to hand to the old wife-killing, niece-lusting asshole.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 16
  • Love 4

Wow, what an episode! There was so much going on in the undercurrents especially at that feast, I was feeling the tension. I was surprised that Rhaenyra knew that Laenor was not into women and they did seem happy together, I have to admit that Rhaenyra and Laenor had chemistry, it's a pity their marriage is what it is.  I don't think she realized that Ser Christian had real feelings for her, I felt for him when he said she wanted him for her wh*re . When it came down to it, the throne is more important than love and she isn't in-love clearly.  Also were they planning on getting married at that feast or did they do that because of what happened.  Did Ser Christian kill that guy because he threatened Rhaenyra?  Also didn't need to see the half beaten off face.

I was also wondering if Alicent was going to end up hooking up it's a Christian, they had chemistry too.

Daemon continues to be a magnificent bastard..I had to laugh at his comments tonight...shocked he killed his wife and interesting that the marriage was never consummated, if her cousin knew this he could probably have it annulled.

Viserys continues to fall apart..NOW things are getting interesting..

Also was that Vhagar I saw in the previews- she dragon is HUGE!!

ETA: is it Christian or Criston?

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

I don't think Ser Criston had feelings for Rhaenyra, he said and clearly in his mind, running off and marrying her was the only way to absolve himself of breaking his kingsguard vow but I don't think it works that way, heh. So I think that was what was eating at him and why he blabbed so easily after Rhaenyra rejected his proposal - guilty conscience + bitterness. 

Also why he went psycho on Laenor's lover - he felt humiliated although I don't think that was the intention - but maybe it was, idk. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

My favourite episode yet!

Daemon really embracing his inner asshole by killing his wife and then later on, lowkey bragging about it to her family while also plotting to steal her money. Viserys and his Hand (can't remember this guy's name, sorry) looking like they wanted to be anywhere but there but also wanting to soak up that gossip. Totally believable reaction.

Alicent's entrance in that green dress was magnificent. There's declaring war and then there's declaring war! The way she was looking at Rhaenrya the rest of the wedding was chilling. Poor girl doesn't even realise yet the knifes are coming out for her.

Whenever there's a royal wedding, there's always some murder damn. We even have another Joffrey who fucked around and found out. What is dead may never die indeed. Criston turned that dude' face to pulp.

Looks like a timeskip with a bunch of new characters next week. Really looking forward to it.

Edited by Diapason Untuned
  • Like 2
  • Love 12

Westeros Weddings! Ugh! I was so stressed out through that whole nightmare. 

So what is up with Vicerys’ arm? Has he got greyscale on top of his other assorted ailments? Watching him wrestle with whatever he was trying to eat at that feast was also stressing me out. I’m sure that bleeding him some more will clear that right up. 

So after that bloodbath of a rehearsal dinner, they decide to hold the wedding right then? I mean indiscreet boyfriend’s blood is still there on the floor…not to mention that of the Father of the bride.

So Daemon talks big, but kind of lacks on the follow through, apparently. 

It seems weird that there will be a time jump when so little has been resolved. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I wasn't expecting for Daemon to do that to his wife!  Why did he step on her wrist, to confirm that she was paralyzed?  I guess Rhea goaded him so that she could have a quicker ending.

I guess Laenor's paramour spoke to Cristen because he thought the knight would be ok with sharing and they could both protect the Queen and King Consort.  He was way off base, I'm surprised that Cristen snapped like that and was able to walk away.

The guy with the cane worked fast, he made sure to drive that wedge between Alicent and Rhaenyra.  Since Rhaenyra has showed that she could lie using the memory of her dead mother, then Alicent has started believing what Otto said about her children not being safe.  Otto drove her to seduce the king in the first place.

Why did they have the wedding like that?

I really liked all the politics in this episode.

Edited by peridot
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

I don't think Ser Criston had feelings for Rhaenyra, he said and clearly in his mind, running off and marrying her was the only way to absolve himself of breaking his kingsguard vow but I don't think it works that way, heh. So I think that was what was eating at him and why he blabbed so easily after Rhaenyra rejected his proposal - guilty conscience + bitterness. 

Also why he went psycho on Laenor's lover - he felt humiliated although I don't think that was the intention - but maybe it was, idk. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think he had some amount of feelings for her.

• Like 5
  • Love 4

So much for Lady Rhea.  Too bad she wasn't as smart as Mysaria.

Loved how Viserys was giving Daemon that side-eye when Rhea's cousin was accusing him of murder. He knows his brother did it!😄

Rhaenyra seems determined to learn things the hard way. She's completely self-centered and careless with the lives of others.

Viserys shouldn't have started his welcome speech without the queen being present so he played himself on that one.  

Laras Strong is a sly one, which seems to be consistent with the family Strong. The father and his two sons look to be formidable adversaries. 

Alicent is now fully in the game and begins to assert her power. 🤔She holds her cards close to the vest, and it'll be interesting to see how she plays them. 

Laenor's boyfriend was too smart for his own good. He should have sat there and ate his food instead of talking shit to Ser Criston, who made sure the Knight of Kisses would never say another word about Rhaenyra. 😐

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 10
19 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I think Alicent is severely sexually frustrated. She has to close her eyes and think of Westeros every night when sickly, elderly Viserys does his business. The thought of Rhaenyra having hot sex is making her very jealous.

I agree, I think jealousy is part of it, Rhaenyra gets this young stud and she gets Mr. falling apart.  That guy with the walking stick was sneaky sneaky

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, peridot said:

I guess Laenor's paramour spoke to Cristen because he thought the knight would be ok with sharing and they could both protect the Queen and King Consort.  He was way off base, I'm surprised that Cristen snapped like that and was able to walk away.

I feel like the title of this episode should have been "SHUT THE FUCK UP!"

shut-up-dont-talk.gif

Ser Cristen Cole and the Laenor's paramour just spoke at the most inopportune times. I fail to understand why the paramour thought that was okay to say, because i would assume he knows that just by suggesting sleeping with Rhaenyra would put Ser Cole in jeopardy.

All Ser Cole had to do keep his mouth closed for 30 seconds. Allicent would have never known about him and Rhaenyra.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 3

So far, this show seems to be staying away from the magical/mystical aspects that GOT had, like the Man of Many Faces who taught Arya how to be an assassin. No Melisandre with her smoke babies and fire magic. No giants like Won Won or the Lord of Light, Ice King or 3-Eyed Raven, etc.

So far, I'm not missing any of that stuff.

• Like 9
  • Wink 1
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, dramachick said:

Laenor's boyfriend was too smart for his own good. He should have sat there and ate his food instead of talking shit to Ser Criston, who made sure the Knight of Kisses would never say another word about Rhaenyra. 😐

Yeah, maybe acting like a smug jerk and threatening a member of the Kingsguard while not knowing anything other than what your own mind has cooked up isn't the best idea.

• Like 1
  • Love 18

I get Littlefinger vibes with Larys Strong.  Definitely the slithering snake in the garden with the Queen.

Daemon's wife had a way with words....total emasculation for him!  I don't think he could have said anything even if he wanted to.  I almost laughed when she looked surprised at his murderous look.

• Like 3
  • Love 7
31 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

but IMO Matt Smith doesn't have the humor and charm of Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and so the character is just all sorts of awful.

My wife and I thought that the lack of Smith was a problem for not just this episode but the series as a whole.  How much time is spent on weak, drunk, sick, sad-sack, predictable Viserys over endless far more interesting characters?

Edited by Lassus
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I am glad Lady Rhea's horse lived. I have my priorities.

What game is Lionel Strong's youngest son playing?

When that rat was feeding on the spilled blood I got nauseous.

I feel sorry for Cristin Cole and worse for the man he killed. This world will destroy you unless you are a ruthless son of a bitch, and even then you won't get through undamaged. Cristin had been in Court for a while, how was he still so naive? And how can he possibly come through this, even with Alicents support?

Daemon demanding his inheritance from Rhea's cousin after the cousin had just accused him of murdering Rhea was so brazen. I just had to shake my head.

Well, enter the Green Queen.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

Do they not send ravens at this point in Westerosi history? Viserys had to drag his sickly self to Driftmark to propose a marriage?

I don’t think a proud man like Corlys, who sent his daughter to greet the king, would take kindly to a marriage proposal by raven.

Also, I assume that was Rhaenys flying on her dragon with Laenor.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

Do they not send ravens at this point in Westerosi history? Viserys had to drag his sickly self to Driftmark to propose a marriage?

Since they aren't on good terms with the Velaryons, presumably Viserys wanted to make a big show of it.

• Like 3
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Ser Criston is a simple country lad who hasn't had the benefit of watching thousands of hours of Law & Order.

Criston is also someone who values honor and is filled with shame/guilt over giving his up.

Choosing not only to be truthful with the Queen, but confess his sins and accept his punishment without making excuses is him trying to be what a Kingsguard should be in that situation. 

Edited by Dac22
  • Like 6
  • Useful 3
  • Love 10
31 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I think Alicent is severely sexually frustrated. She has to close her eyes and think of Westeros every night when sickly, elderly Viserys does his business. The thought of Rhaenyra having hot sex is making her very jealous.

No, I think there is more to it.  I think maybe deep down Alicent was in love with Rhaenyra and that is why she feels so betrayed that Rhaenyra lied to her about everything.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Daemon demanding his inheritance from Rhea's cousin after the cousin had just accused him of murdering Rhea was so brazen. I just had to shake my head.

How or why did he seemed shocked or discomfitted by that?  How long since the murder, and he's part of a royal house and now he's OMG I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT?   That also made no sense.

Edited by Lassus
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Raynera and Lanor, the new Shiv and Tom.

At least this Joffrey went away quick.

Criston was a dullard, confessing immediately.  Doesn’t that put Raynera at risk?  Way to protect.  All of a sudden he’s in his feels?

If Alicent did declare war, it was a stupid move.  Viserys is about to drop which means she better suck up to Raynera.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
Just now, magdalene said:

No, I think there is more to it.  I think maybe deep down Alicent was in love with Rhaenyra and that is why she feels so betrayed that Rhaenyra lied to her about everything.

I never thought of it that way but you might be right. She does seem to crave Rhaenyra's friendship even after the marriage to Viserys. Rhaenyra's continued coldness towards her is eating her up.

• Love 5

I was excited we finally got to meet Daemon’s wife, but that didn’t last long. Too bad. She seemed interesting, and she wasn’t wearing a terrible wig.

Corlys should listen to his wife—his son is going to be in a lot of danger marrying Rhaenyra. Also, guys don’t grow out of being attracted to men any more than they do being attracted to women. Because sexual attraction is not like clothes.

Both Alicant and the king were wearing green so that comment about her dress did not  make much sense.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Lassus said:

How or why did he seemed shocked or discomfitted by that?  How long since the murder, and he's part of a royal house and now he's OMG I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT?   That also made no sense.

He'd be shocked by that because it's not how Westerosi inheritance normally works. Rhea's heir should be whoever her closest blood relation is.

Farewell to Milly Alcock and Emily Carey. I'll miss them both.

• Applause 1
  • Love 14
3 minutes ago, aghst said:

Criston was a dullard, confessing immediately.  Doesn’t that put Raynera at risk?  Way to protect.  All of a sudden he’s in his feels?

Alicent was going to ask about Daemon / sneaking out but she was long-winded like Boyd Crowder and got a Perry Mason confession instead of corroboration that Daddy was lying...

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 10
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Cristin had been in Court for a while, how was he still so naive?

In his defense, Criston is a simple guy who happens to be a member of the Kingsguard. 

Even if he's been at court for several years, he hasn't been an active participant when it comes to scheming and political shenanigans. His job is to stand there and look intimidating for hours unless he's asleep. That's his job.

So he's so far out of his depth when Rhaenyra/Alicent/etc drag him into their world.

Edited by Dac22
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6

Well damn.  That surely didn't end the way I thought it would.

Ser Criston done f*cked up the thang! (TM Funky Dineva)  Rule number one in FWB situationships: Don't. Catch. Feelings.  Did he really think the Heir to the Iron Throne would just run off to Essos with him?  I would call him Poor Lil Tink Tink, but Laenor gets that title after seeing his lover's face bashed into the floor at the wedding feast. Yikes. Since Criston done lost his mind, I wonder if this paves the way for Ser Harwin Strong?  He seems to always be the one to notice Rhaenyra's shenanigans and keep them to himself...

The Queen is also tripping. Why is she so green with envy towards Rhaenyra? She needs to make the best of her own situation.  What can she possibly do with Criston? Smuggle him to Oldtown? 

Damn, they made Laenor get married right there with Joffrey's blood still on the floor? That is cold. They could have at least gone to another room. I thought that Viserys was a goner after the "wedding" until I saw him in the previews for next week's episode. 

It was nice that Rhaenyra and Laenor had an understanding; but she won't get any heirs from him now. That man is ruined in more ways than one.

To be honest, I thought Daemon would have been the catalyst for the wedding fight.  He was pretty bold talking to his wife's cousin like that.  Lady Rhea wasn't ugly at all. She clearly spooked her horse and paid dearly for it. How convenient for Daemon to now be free to do what he wants.

So does Daemon clearly have issues with his virility or he just didn't want to consummate his marriage? Daemon stays getting in his own way. I wonder if he will get Runestone?

I would have loved to see things from the Velaryon perspective.  Corlys is ride or die for Rhaenys and I love to see that. But he is not so quick about more sensitive issues. Did they stop Laena's marriage to the Free Cities Lord's son?  She seemed hot for Daemon when all he could see was Rhaenyra.  Is Corlys going to demand restitution for Joffrey's death? He was a member of the Velaryon contingent.  He did stand out from the rest of the House; I just didn't expect Laenor's boo thang to get the Red Shirt treatment!

They need to release 2 or 3 episodes at a time. This waiting 7 whole days for the next part of the story is so not cash money.

• Like 5
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, Lassus said:
51 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Daemon is awful. I think they're trying to make him another Jaime Lannister, but IMO Matt Smith doesn't have the humor and charm of Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and so the character is just all sorts of awful. His poor wife.

Tastes will differ.  NCW could be very good when he was given good material but I have seen Matt Smith excel in lots of roles over the years and he is no slouch in the charm department.  I think he and Paddy are the highlights of this show so far. They both have a lot of range as actors.

Did Rhea goad Daemon into finishing her off?  She had broken her neck when she fell off her horse. So it was only a matter of time and he was walking away at first.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5