Type keyword(s) to search

Droughtlander: The Official Outlander Podcast

Athena
  • Start Topic

The podcasts are likely to continue as long as Ronald D. Moore is the showrunner. They do offer a lot of insight on the production of the show. I've created this topic for people to discuss the content in the podcasts. After a podcast has been uploaded or streamed, you can discuss here. Please also let anyone know if there are accidental spoilers.

No book talk please. Thank you.

While we do not have a direct link to the actual podcasts, you may download the podcast and find other production information from the Starz's Outlander Extras page or Outlander Podcast

• Love 1

Regarding the request in the "Castle Loech" thread about the spoiler in Ron Moore's podcast for the second episode:

People mention that Ron's wife utters the spoiler info, but in fact, Ron refers to it even earlier in the podcast. He talks about Claire possibly wearing her 20th century shoes in the 18th century, but they decided against that for multiple reasons including the fact that Geillis might recognize that Claire's wearing shoes from an advanced time.

Later, Ron's wife, Terry, also references Geillis' commonality with Claire, i.e., that she is from a different century too. (I went back and listened to the exact wording.) Terry mentions this in relation to Geillis lack of a corset and how her character refuses to wear one.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 1

I'm new to listening to podcasts.  I took someone's suggestion to watch the episode with the sound muted while Ron's talking about it.  Loved the first one and hearing how/why he did certain things.  While I enjoyed hearing a little about the costuming, I really missed his detailed commentary - Terry was distracting.  Might be just me.

Currently re-reading the entire series (currently immersed in "Fiery Cross") and I am LOVING this show!

• Love 2

Ooh this is so exciting! I loved listening to the official Breaking Bad podcasts (even though Vince Gilligan's ass-licking of every single person involved in every minute detail of production was exhausting... seriously, even the extras were called out as 'wunnerful'). I'm looking forward to this one. I much prefer this type of behind-the-scenes podcast to the straight recap-type. 

If anyone ever finds that Starz has provided an RSS feed for the podcast, could you post it here? I prefer to get all of my podcasts through a podcatcher instead of having to remember to go download it separately.

• Love 1

Okay, I am a total technology 'avoider' and don't own a cell phone nor have I ever even seen an Ipod or MP3 player up close.  And sorry but I don't want to.  Would have no earthly idea how to download a podcast.  Yes, I know, my own grown children think their Mom is so strange and off.  LOL  That said, these podcasts intrigue me and my question is can they be listened to somehow online?  Or am I simply out of luck with this?  

Most computers have a media player as a part of their software, something that will play audio recordings such as music or a podcast. So, you should just go to the link(s) on the page that was previously posted with his podcasts and just click on them. Whatever software you have will ask you if you want to download the file and listen to it immediately or save it. So, you can choose whichever you'd like to do. (I didn't choose to save the file, so can't remember if that's complicated by the fact that you have to remember where it's been saved.)

It looks like the podcast is on iTunes (I'm waiting for the show to air tonight in Canada, so only listened to the first minute or so, but sound like it's the correct one). Only the first two eps are up thus far.

• Love 1

I didn't realize how much I'd miss Ron's podcasts from BSG until I started listening to his Outlander podcasts. I really do enjoy hearing his commentary about how production went on set/location, what went on in the writers' room in regards to making decisions, and how he's interacted with the actors and Diana. I do think Terry being in the podcasts shifts the focus to other things, like the costumes. But darnit if I didn't spend episode 3 paying way more attention to the clothing after listening to the episode 2 podcast. That cowl Claire wears is gorgeous.

Things like the 'Castle Leoch' podcast are exactly why I read the book after episode 1; that was one spoiler and a half. The half was for the comments

on Leoghaire doing something bad at a later stage

even if they didn't mention what it was.

I love audio commentaries, so getting one for every episode is like TV Christmas. The one for Castle Leoch irked me for two reasons though: the spoilers and the fact that Terry didn't let Ron finish his sentences. I get that you want to tell us about the costumes and I do want to hear it, but for frek's sake, let your husband finish talking first. There are people who are actually intersted in what he has to say and it's plain rude to constantly interrupt someone like that.

• Love 1
QuoteQuote

Regarding the request in the "Castle Loech" thread about the spoiler in Ron Moore's podcast for the second episode:

If you want to listen to the podcast on iTunes and don't want to be spoiled:

Pause at exactly 17:15 and resume at 17:55.

Pause again at 43:38 and resume at 44:05.

:-)

Edited to add the second spoiler location

Edited by AEMom
  • Love 3

If you want to listen to the podcast on iTunes and don't want to be spoiled, pause at exactly 17:15 and resume at 17:55. :-)

The same spoiler came up twice in the podcast.  Ron actually mentioned it first and then Terry mentioned it again later.  I tried to find the times in my podcast so I could say what to avoid, but I'm having trouble finding it now.  I'll keep looking!

As far as listening to it, I'm assuming that if you download the podcast you can listen to it using any media player.  I also was able to listen to it from the website on my phone.

Really?  I don't remember that at all, so my apologies if I missed another time when it was mentioned.

See my post above -- the very first one after Athena's -- with the spoiler tag. It mentions the two places.

• Love 1
There are people who are actually intersted in what he [Ron] has to say

Too much of Terry in the 103 podcast again. I really want to hear about the production with a bit of costume information on the side. Instead, it's about every bit of costume and barely anything about production. The costumes are beautiful, but seriously, I want to hear Ron's discussion about the whole show.  (Edit: Credit rainmom for basically saying the same thing last week. -- Didn't mean to be a copycat!)

I don't have Itunes - how can I listen to the podcast?

You can download the podcasts directly from the Starz site: Outlander Extras (give it a second to load; it's kind of an overlay of another page).  As others have said, you can then play the files on various media players like Winamp, Quicktime, RealPlayer, and probably VLC. I'm pretty sure most of the players are free downloads; just do a search for them.

Edited by bets
  • Love 6
The same spoiler came up twice in the podcast.

OK, I found the other location of the spoiler.

Pause at 43:38 and resume at 44:05.

I'm REALLY REALLY sorry if I messed anybody up on this - not my intention at all.

• Love 2

OK, I found the other location of the spoiler.

Pause at 43:38 and resume at 44:05.

I'm REALLY REALLY sorry if I messed anybody up on this - not my intention at all.

Please don't apologize, in my eyes, you are going above and beyond by giving us spoiler tags for a podcast!  Thank you so much!

• Love 3

Too much of Terry in the 103 podcast again. I really want to hear about the production with a bit of costume information on the side. Instead, it's about every bit of costume and barely anything about production. The costumes are beautiful, but seriously, I want to hear Ron's discussion about the whole show.

Couldn't agree more! I re-watched with the podcast on yesterday and thought the exact same thing. Who knows how many interesting things we didn't get to know because it was more important to state for the umpteenth time that Lotte Verbeek likes to play with her clothes or that we've seen this or that piece before. Was it just me/my laptop or was she very shrill in this one? I literally flinched a couple of times when she shrieked into the mic.

How about an additional costume podcast for those who are so inclined if there's so much to say? But please, let us hear about the other aspects of production too. I would have liked to hear more about how the train station scene came about, considering it's not in the book. The fact that Terry hates military uniforms on the other hand was rather expendable to me.

Edited because grammar is important.

Edited by Sonja
Who knows how many interesting things we didn't get to know

I was looking forward to some commentary about the scene between Jamie and Claire at the second concert and especially in the surgery, but no. Who knows, maybe Ron was exhausted from other work since they just finished or are now wrapping up filming (I think I heard that in there), and he asked her to step in. But I agree, a separate podcast about costuming would be a great idea, and let this one be Ron's inside info on production. Anyone on Twitter who can respectfully suggest as much?

P.S. The sound was really off for me on this one, and I had trouble hearing at all, so no shrieks.

Edited by bets
QuoteWho knows how many interesting things we didn't get to know

I agree as well.  Too much focus on the costumes. 

No real spoliers in this one (S103) , but I would still pause from 40:50 to 41:05, just... because.

I also had a trouble hearing the podcast.  it was recorded very quietly.

My opinion on something in the podcast is probably a spoiler so:

I was surprised to hear that Geillis' red shoes were not intentional.  She

is portrayed as a woman who doesn't respect the society standards and I've heard

that in the past, respectable women did not wear red shows, so I figured this

was another way of the character thumbing her nose at society.  I found

it interesting that it was a fluke by the actress.

Edited by AEMom

I'm a costumer and I'm over the costuming stuff. I do not want to hear anything else about Geillis. I thought her bodice looked really wrong on my first watch and I was appalled to hear the actress insisted on wearing it backwards. The red shoes don't bother me and I can see that being a character choice (even it if seemed random in the podcast.) Geillis is nuts but she also has a goal and I don't see her doing something so socially awkward in any time that would get in the way of her goal. 

Ron asked her about the WWII uniforms and I do appreciate the tedium in making them and the seam checking by WWII enthusiasts but we did not need the whole rant! Geeze. 

• Love 2

I also don't like when his wife randomly blurts out, "I love this scene" or "isn't that pretty?" without any context whatsoever. It's not informative or interesting to the audience. What annoys is that she will literally interrupt him while he's actually giving substantive information and, he'll stop to let her speak, and she'll say, "I just wanted to say, 'I love this scene.'"

Ugh.

• Love 3

Ron and Terry mentioned they should actually watch the episode before recording the podcasts - I hope this doesn't mean she's going to be a recurring guest. 

For some reason, I was amused by the clinking ice in their glasses as they drank their adult beverages.

I, too, wanted to hear Ron's take on the on the hall scenes.

I have never watched ANY show over and over and over again like I'm doing with this series!  During the podcast my eyes are on Jamie almost exclusively.  Someone said this show has turned them into a 14 year old girl again - my sentiments exactly!

• Love 4

I have never watched ANY show over and over and over again like I'm doing with this series!  During the podcast my eyes are on Jamie almost exclusively.  Someone said this show has turned them into a 14 year old girl again - my sentiments exactly!

I used to watch episodes of Doctor Who and Veronica Mars over and over again but I thought I had outgrown such obsessiveness. It turns out that I just needed the right show to come along. I wonder how many times I'll watch the first eight episodes during the hiatus.

• Love 4

I used to watch episodes of Doctor Who and Veronica Mars over and over again but I thought I had outgrown such obsessiveness. It turns out that I just needed the right show to come along. I wonder how many times I'll watch the first eight episodes during the hiatus.

When my niece was a child, she watched "The Lion King" every day without fail.  Sometimes she watched it twice.  She watched it so much that she could point to places on the screen where characters would enter, she knew it inside and out.  I think I understand now.  *g*

Hmmm, I have a little time before dinner...

• Love 3

Ohh - I should watch Doctor Who with closed captioning on, now that I've learned that trick by the good folk here.

• Love 2

I so see a series rewatch during hiatus for all of us.  ::giggle::

• Love 2

ou can download the podcasts directly from the Starz site: Outlander Extras (give it a second to load; it's kind of an overlay of another page).  As others have said, you can then play the files on various media players like Winamp, Quicktime, RealPlayer, and probably VLC. I'm pretty sure most of the players are free downloads; just do a search for them.

Thank you, bets! Much apreciated. I have VLC and it works just fine.

• Love 1

I haven't listened to the 1.03 podcast yet, but I'm reluctant to now that I know his wife is with him again.  I love some of the insights about costuming but I'm also really interested in the rest of the production, and she interrupts him way too much.  Hopefully someone will figure that out soon and make a tactful suggestion.

• Love 2
I also had a trouble hearing the podcast.  it was recorded very quietly.

That might have been my problem with the shrieking. I turned the sound on my laptop up to 11 so it was audible, which of course does affect the sound quality. I just managed to keep the Jameson in its glass one time because I was so startled by one of the 'I loooove this scene' interruptions. Of course I didn't want to get up and adjust the sound once I had started the episode *g*

I listened to the podcast last night and yeah, this one was not as interesting as the last two.  I think they diagnosed the problem themselves when they admitted that episode 103 was delivered nearly a year ago so they find themselves getting engrossed in watching it and frequently don't have much to say beyond "Oh, look how good the CGI legs look!"  I'm still really glad they do these.  I wanted to hear how the red shoes came into the show and I liked the story about Lotte's reversing the furry waistcoat so I do like much of what Terry has to say.  But I think they were both really tired for this one.

I particularly enjoyed hearing about the writers' struggle to come up with the "A story" for this episode -- the "CSI Highlands" story that they introduced.  I've said before that I (a book loyalist) thought it was a great addition so I give them props for sticking with it and finding a way to show Claire's developing 18th century medical skills, give Jamie and Claire more getting-to-know-you time together, introduce the priest (and the potential menace he represents), show Claire flouting local traditions by going fearlessly to the Black Kirk (that may come back to haunt her), and introduce the notion that Claire's efforts to ingratiate herself via medical services may actually have back-fired by making her too valuable to release.  The last item in particular serves as nice foreshadowing/motivation for what we know (via the previews) is going to happen in the next episode.

My only real disappointment is learning that Ron was absent the day the Black Kirk was filmed and he could not remember the location.  I really wanted to know where that was -- it was gorgeous. I definitely think it will be a stop on any Outlander-themed tourism that springs up as a result of the show.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

Totally misnamed thread. The Voice of Ron and Terry and the clock and the fire and the dog: The Outlander Podcasts. It was raining too but since it was raining where I was that wasn't so bad.

Think someone must have warned them not to be too spoilery because they started to allude to a big one but backed away.

My favorite bit was hearing about the shinty game and how they tried to make it safer but broke all the safe sticks in the first half hour of filming.

• Love 1

LOL, the fire popping in the background was so distracting.  Plus, I'm in the desert, so the thought of a cozy fire burning today is just, No.

I also liked the info on the shinty game.  They hired real shinty players as the extras for the game.  Makes the WTF? looks on the players faces as they watch Jamie and Dougal slam each other even better.

They pointed it out but I had also noticed the breath fog from Jamie and Claire in the scene in the stable.  It clearly was very cold when those scenes were filmed last year.

Interesting to hear that

because they wanted to continue to shoot at Castle Leoch since they were already set up for it, they continued on filming the future episodes that take place there later and shot the upcoming ones (Rent and ???) after that.

I never heard Ron's podcasts for BSG.  Did he ever have any of the actors join in?  Just wondering if he does that, since they should be done shooting S1 by now or soon, so some of the cast might have some spare time to share their thoughts.  That would be interesting.

• Love 1

The podcasts are killing me.  S0104 is recorded even more quietly than the last.  I have the volume turned to max and I am really struggling to hear everything.  Then you add the bloody fire into it and it makes it worse.

If anybody on the Outlander staff is reading this - please turn up the volume!

Edited by AEMom
  • Love 1

I've found other podcasts have audio issues which is irritating to say the least. I think that they sometimes forget that they are recording this for others to hear LOL. Did Terry dominate the conversation again talking about wardrobe stuff? I wish Ron would have Maril do them with him instead since they are producing partners.

I've had to use headphones for the last two podcasts.  What kind of microphones are generally used for these kinds of things?  If it's just them talking at their computer, the open mic apparently picks up every sound in the room at the same volume.

• Love 1

In the new podcast they spend a lot of time talking about how much the costumes should be showcased I understand their (and Terry's) point of view but they discussed it for whole scenes, so that was kind of tedious. It does get better though, lol.

Edited by glitterpants

Well, I tell you what, listening to Terry complain about how all the costuming things went wrong and weren't showed off well enough makes me feel better about my job. I guess I won't run away to Hollywood, doesn't sound as glamorous as people make it out to be. Thanks, Podcast.

• Love 2

I find myself feeling sorry for Terry and also annoyed with Terry.  I feel really bad that all this work has gone into the costumes and the viewers either barely get to see it or don't really care so long as it's close enough.  I want to appreciate all the work she and her team put into wardrobe but I also know that while I'm watching, most of my thoughts about the costumes revolve around the characters having too many different outfits.  I also feel bad because Ron keeps shutting her up when she goes on an on about the clothes.  He even said one "they're just clothes"...in a joking way, but still.  But I'm also annoyed because, ffs, they are just clothes and I really want to hear more about the actual filming process and especially the writing process.  I want to know why they chose one thing over another or how an actor brought a certain thing to life in a way they weren't expecting.  

• Love 4

I really want to hear more about the actual filming process and especially the writing process.  I want to know why they chose one thing over another or how an actor brought a certain thing to life in a way they weren't expecting.

I so agree.  When I watch the commentaries for the Lord of the Rings movies (and hopefully for the Hobbit movies) the first one I want to listen to is the one with Peter, Fran & Phillipa because the thing I am most interested in is the process of adapting a huge complex book into a visual medium.  Later on I'm happy to hear all about props and sets and costumes but it is the writing that I am most interested in.  So I'd like to hear more about that from Ron, and I suspect we will because most of the actors only have one costume (apparently Murtaugh broke out his fancy-go-to-gathering jacket for its one and only viewing this past week).  Even Claire, whose amazing wardrobe can be compared with that of Ginger on Gilligan's island (she packed all that for a "3-hour-tour"?) will eventually stop showing up in anything new.  So I'm hoping the pod-cast conversations will naturally evolve to more of Ron talking.  But even if it stays exactly how it is, I'm still grateful that they take the time to do it.  It's such fun to get to peek behind the veil.

• Love 1
I find myself feeling sorry for Terry and also annoyed with Terry.  I feel really bad that all this work has gone into the costumes and the viewers either barely get to see it or don't really care so long as it's close enough.  I want to appreciate all the work she and her team put into wardrobe but I also know that while I'm watching, most of my thoughts about the costumes revolve around the characters having too many different outfits.  I also feel bad because Ron keeps shutting her up when she goes on an on about the clothes.  He even said one "they're just clothes"...in a joking way, but still.  But I'm also annoyed because, ffs, they are just clothes and I really want to hear more about the actual filming process and especially the writing process.  I want to know why they chose one thing over another or how an actor brought a certain thing to life in a way they weren't expecting.

In the new podcast they spend a lot of time talking about how much the costumes should be showcased I understand their (and Terry's) point of view but they discussed it for whole scenes, so that was kind of tedious.

...the thing I am most interested in is the process of adapting a huge complex book into a visual medium.  Later on I'm happy to hear all about props and sets and costumes but it is the writing that I am most interested in.

But even if it stays exactly how it is, I'm still grateful that they take the time to do it.  It's such fun to get to peek behind the veil.

I agree that the adaptation process is the most interesting. And I'm also grateful that they're doing the podcasts at all. Is it greedy to want two separate ones so we can hear about both areas?

I think Ron made the comment about costumes only being clothes when Terry kept going on about how they should be showcased in each scene. She clearly works hard and does a great job, but the directors cannot start designing shots just to feature the costumes (if they did, without it being a natural part of the story, I'm sure there would be many pissed off viewers). They're beautiful, and they are important to the overall production design -- and to defining character -- but they're only one element. It's completely understandable for her to want people to see her work, and for that to be her main focus, but I was actually pretty irritated with her suggestion.

Carrying Terry's thought forward, they should also pan around every set to show all the design detail and set decoration so that viewers will see it. There's a whole lot of work there that is probably only generally noticed much of the time as well, yet it's equally important to setting the scene. (They do point out sets and decoration, deservedly so, but in a balanced way.)  All that said, the public nature of Ron's comment was unfortunate. There are times when they bicker a bit, which is another reason for separate podcasts! I don't know how far in advance of airing they record these, but I really, really hope they do decide to separate them.  I doubt that they're reading here for feedback though.

• Love 1

I don't know how far in advance of airing they record these, but I really, really hope they do decide to separate them.  I doubt that they're reading here for feedback though.

They can't be too far ahead because Ron did mention on this week's podcast that they were now to a point where episodes are airing. I hope that they can at least make a change for the second half of the season.

I thought their little riff about diet coke and ice cubes was kind of endearing. Terry mentioned putting photos up of the costumes. I'd love to see those. Anyone know where these might be. I have a ton of sewing to do for Halloween but there is some lovely plaid in my fabric stash that has been crying out to me for a month. 

There's a spoiler at the end of the podcast that tells what happens at the beginning of the next episode. If you don't want to hear that part, stop listening when Ron mentions coming to the end of the episode.

The scene was originally going to be included in "Rent" but Ron decided to shift it so the tension remained on the officer's question. In explaining that, Ron tells what happens.

Claire rides off with the Redcoats.

Well that was a really good podcast.  I particularly loved learning that they wanted the opening scene of "Rent" to be Claire swimming tranquilly in a loch only to have the "louts" come cannonballing into the shot.  Considering that Cait was already physically worn down at this point in the shoot (having lots of allergic reactions) it's probably a very good thing that they didn't ask her to swim in a freezing loch.  But I must voice my disappointment at the missed opportunity for male nudity on a grand scale.  Or maybe not so grand.  Those lochs are cold, ye ken?

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3