Type keyword(s) to search

Reasonable Doubt - General Discussion

• Start Topic

ie_92043.jpeg

Reasonable Doubt is a 10 episode drama series with the fisrt two episodes streaming September 27 on Hulu, with a new episode released each Tuesday.  

In "Reasonable Doubt", you will chastise Jax Stewart and her morally, but not legally questionable ethics and her wild interpretations of the law, that is until you are the one in trouble. Then you will see her for what she is: the most brilliant and fearless defense attorney in Los Angeles who bucks the justice system at every chance she gets. This sexy legal drama, centered on a high-powered criminal defense attorney, who is dealing with her past traumas, a failing marriage, motherhood, and a murder case... all while trying to keep her shit together. 
reasonabledoubt_8100x12000-pre.jpeg

Written by Raamla Mohamed leads the show's all-Black writers room and executive produces alongside Kerry Washington and Pilar Savone for Simpson Street and Larry Wilmore via Wilmore Films. Disney launched the Onyx Collective, to bring shows mainly to Hulu as a Content Brand For Creators Of Color and underrepresented voices, a curated slate of content.  Onyx Collective is building a home where creators of color are inspired, empowered and have unparalleled access to reach audiences around the world. This artist-first approach will make Onyx Collective synonymous with entertaining, brave and bold ideas told from a distinct point of view. 

The show's title and all the episode titles are songs from Jay-Z.

Reasonable-Doubt-Teaser.jpg?strip=all&lo

Emayatzy Corinealdi plays Jacqueline “Jax” Stewart, a Los Angeles defense attorney with questionable ethics. 
reasonable-doubt-hulu.jpg

McKinley Freeman as Lewis Stewart, said to be the man your mama meets once and asks about forever. Lewis is Jax’s husband, the father of their two children, a successful video game designer and a genuinely good guy. Lewis understands that he’s married to a complicated woman and the two of them share a good-humored, strongly bonded connection, though at times he craves something deeper which she doesn’t seem emotionally capable of giving.

Thadeus J. Mixson as Spenser. A full-on teenager, complete with lots of eye rolling and attitude, Spenser is the son of Jax and Lewis. Spenser makes it clear that he prefers to spend time with his dad (a video game designer) instead of his mom.

Aderinsola Olabode plays Naima, the sweet, loving daughter of Jax and Lewis. Naima hasn’t hit the teenage years yet (unlike her 13-year-old brother, Spenser) and she’s still an obedient, loving child to both her parents.

Pauletta Washington as Mama Lu. Mama Lu keeps it real about everyone and everything (unless it’s about her own mistakes). Jax’s mother, Mama Lu is opinionated and a little overbearing. She loves Jax and she also loves Jax’s husband, Lewis. She makes it clear she thinks that Jax should work less and spend more time with her husband.
REDBT_107_SB_00760RT.jpg

Angela Grovey plays Krystal, a woman whose honesty makes you fear her but also love the hell out of her. Krystal is Jax’s assistant at the law firm. Very smart, savvy, opinionated, sharp as a tack, Krystal says what she thinks, which can be brutal at times. She is a good sounding board for Jax, even though sometimes she says things that Jax would rather not hear.

Tim Jo as Daniel, the dorky next door neighbor who grew up to be hot but couldn’t shake being a dork, Daniel is an investigator at Jax’s law firm. He makes his living talking to people, and yet he’s afraid to ask Jax’s prickly assistant for parking validation.

Perri Camper as Kaleesha Moore. Smart and confident, Kaleesha can fit into any room she steps into. Kaleesha is an Executive Vice President at Brayden Miller/Mitchell’s company.

Christopher Cassarino plays Rich, an attorney at the same firm where Jax works, dealing mostly with contracts and litigation. He clashes with Jax during a huge case during the season.

Victor Rasuk plays Mike Llanas, an overzealous D.A., a man who lives and dies for his work. He and Jax went to law school together and have a history as rivals.

Nefetari Spencer as Sally, a straight-talking, good-humored doctor. Sally is the “ride or die” friend among Jax’s group of close women friends.

Tiffany Yvonne Cox plays Autumn, the listener and caretaker of Jax’s friends. Autumn is happily married to her wife and considers herself Jax’s best friend since tenth grade.

Shannon Kane plays Shanelle, the quiet “judger” of Jax’s group of close friends. Shanelle and Jax have a complicated history that often puts them at odds.

Sean Patrick Thomas as Brayden Miller. Rich, sexy, stylish, entitled, and savvy, but don’t let that fool you: underneath that is a brother from Southeast D.C. whose bite is actually worse than his bark. Brayden comes in as a client at Jax’s firm and immediately rubs her the wrong way.

Brooke Lyons plays Sarah Miller, the wife of multi-millionaire Braydon Miller. Sarah is well-educated and gave up everything to support her husband.

Paul Fox plays Theo James, Brayden Miller's CFO, a warm and genuine individual who is dismayed at all the controversy surrounding his boss, but also a man whose loyalty would make him cross some questionable boundaries.

Michael Ealy as Damon. Giving OG prison bae vibes, Damon isn’t someone you should look at too long unless you are trying to get into trouble. Complex, smart, troubled, Damon is a former client of Jax’s who’s been in prison for sixteen years for a murder he didn’t commit.

Eugene Byrd plays CJ, Damon’s brother, who feels betrayed when Damon questions him about conducting other business at the auto-shop while Damon was in jail.

Toby Onwumere as Will

Christopher Mychael Watson as Jamarion Tucker

Jamie Jones as Devin MacDonald

Monte Bell as Brent

Jasmine Akakpo as Kanika

Reasonable Doubt    September 27, 2022        Hulu

Episodes 1-2      Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: Can't Knock The Hustle

Jax Stewart, a brilliant and fearless defense attorney in Los Angeles, juggles work, family, friends, and a complicated personal life while bucking the justice system every chance she gets as she’s faced with a potential high-profile client. 

S01.E02: Family Feud

Jax has to decide whether or not to take on a high-profile murder case for a client who rejected her services. Meanwhile, Jax and Lewis are still adjusting to their new situation as Damon reemerges into the outside world.

I am liking it... but....   Yes, there is a but

I almost feel like they are making Jax needlessly edgy.  I get that they want to show a different sort of complicated character but her character traits feel deliberate, not like they are lived in.

I like her husband, I like their chemistry and I like the idea that they are having marital problems for ... reasons.  But him with the cameras and watching her have sex with the other guy who just came off as a drug dealer... sigh.  That is one of those needlessly edgy things.

Are anvils hitting that her stepfather did something to her?  Or is that just me.  Because... sigh.

I admit I am very bothered by the N* bombs.  I know the production team have made it clear that they really want this to be very grounded in Af-Am culture but we are not all out here dropping the N word left and right.  Again with them trying to make her seem edgy.

That said, I did like how grey Jax comes off.  She is a lawyer after all.  I like the push-pull between wanting to do well for your client but not wanting to be party to aiding a rapist in getting out.  I liked the case.  Kinda disappointed that Brayden Miller's wife won;t be played by Julia Stiles since that would been a nice a nice Easter egg for Save the Last Dance fans esp. with Kerry Washington being an EP on this.

Not sure what they are doing with Michael Ealy.

Must not be a lot of black churches in LA if everybody shows up at hers on Sunday.  LOL.

Loved the last line of the second episode from the murdered woman's cousin 'This, bitch."  Ha!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Unlike the well-thought out comments in the previous post, I have a couple very superficial observations.  First, I almost didn't recognize Jax from one scene to the next because her hair was so different.  Apparently she straightens it for work (I saw her using a straightener at least once) but wears it curly/natural at other times.  Black hair is definitely not my area of expertise but that seems like a ton of time and effort.  I guess they're making a point about her work persona vs. social?

But no worries, I can always recognize her by her shoulders!  Does she have a clause in her contract that her shoulders have to appear in every scene?

Told you it's superficial!  But I do find it entertaining and want to find out how she got to where she was in the opening.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

But no worries, I can always recognize her by her shoulders!  Does she have a clause in her contract that her shoulders have to appear in every scene?

OMG! Her shoulders!  Thank you😂😂.  I thought to myself, man , does Jax have any tops that cover her shoulders? There was one top she wore where the style had the sleeves starting practically in the middle of her arms and I just wanted to reach through the tv and pull them up.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, DearEvette said:

OMG! Her shoulders!  Thank you😂😂.  I thought to myself, man , does Jax have any tops that cover her shoulders? There was one top she wore where the style had the sleeves starting practically in the middle of her arms and I just wanted to reach through the tv and pull them up.

And I'm pretty sure that was a work outfit, if it's the one I'm thinking of!

• Love 2

I was excited to see this on my Hulu suggestions. Emayatzy Corinealdi is one of my favorite actresses, so I'm glad she got her own series. I agree with the comments above about the language. It doesn't seem natural for the characters.

The husband watching her on video is creepy. Her mom is out of line for being pushy with her opinions about the marriage. Speaking of her mom, I almost didn't recognize Pauletta Washington.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

S01.E03: 99 Problems

86290096-952e-4053-87c1-7a6188429f56?bas

As Brayden’s newly appointed defense attorney, Jax and the team dive in, gearing up for the preliminary hearing. Lewis and Jax come together to help Naima. Damon and Jax decide to be friends after she helps him with a problem.

October 4, 2022    Hulu  

S01.E04: Guilty Until Proven Innocent

50393792-2286281.thumb.jpg.01a5cfda8c44f1e6935c07c13ae2e204.jpg

As Brayden’s newly appointed defense attorney, Jax and the team dive in, gearing up for the preliminary hearing. Lewis and Jax come together to help Naima. Damon and Jax decide to be friends after she helps him with a problem.

October 11, 2022       Hulu      

I just started episode one. I’ll have to catch up.  I’m just not too impressed with some of Krystal’s positions to legal situations.  You really do need to look at what will put the client in the best situation.  Her position on morality is not necessarily what might be in the client’s best interest.  Her response to the man in prison was bizarre.  He’s the one serving the time, not her.  Many things are considered in getting a person out of prison, but her response was really over the top.  Her feelings are so not relevant.  JMO, as an attorney who handles criminal and civil matters.  I get it’s a tv show and not real, but some things just bug me though. Lol. Still, I’ll keep watching.  It’s entertaining.  They need some real attorneys to give them some insight though.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

They need some real attorneys to give them some insight though.  

The story is loosely inspired by the life of attorney Shawn Holley, who is a co-executive producer on the show, she was a member of O.J. Simpson’s legal defense “Dream Team”.  

• Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 1

S01.E06: Renegade

Jax and Damon’s relationship goes to another level. But Jax is focused in on the start of Brayden's trial as she senses Brayden may be withholding crucial information.

October 25, 2022       Hulu      

8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Anyone still watching this?  I’m trying to.  For some reason, I just don’t find Jax very likable.  

I’m still watching, but 95% to keep up with the shoulders. Kinda loved the houndstooth shoulderless business dress. Nice to see she apparently got the style from her mom. 

• LOL 1
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Anyone still watching this?  I’m trying to.  For some reason, I just don’t find Jax very likable.  

I'm watching, but I'm definitely not as enthusiastic about this show as I once was. I was hooked with the 2-episode premiere and liked episode 3. However by last episode, I waited until the weekend to watch.

1. There are just too many storylines going on. We're only on episode 6 and I think there are about 8 storylines, and some haven't been touched upon since the premiere. Like Jax's apparent kidnapping and torture the show opened with. The smaller stories also take away from the one or two stories I actually wanna watch.

2. Onto your point about Jax, I'm not certain how I feel about her. Oddly, I feel I understood the character in the first three episodes more than I do now. I don't know if the actress has been given new direction or there are so many storylines that the character is getting lost. Unfortunately, I just watched episode 6, and I just had no idea who Jax was anymore. I also was not interested in Jax's younger years/public defender days. That's why it took me days to watch what was still a not particularly enjoyable episode for me.

3. Next is Jax's friendship group. I usually love strong (female) friendships on shows, but there's something about Jax's group that comes off...off. Like the actresses are still getting their groove together and aren't fully comfortable yet. I also don't particularly care for the frenemyship of Jax and that one woman in a failing marriage. I don't understand the dynamics yet, so they both just come off mean, petty, and like they're only in the other's life to make cruel, sideline comments.

Anyway, as I said, I just watched the episode that uploaded today. I see me finishing the season, but I can't imagine me returning for next season if the show continues down this path.

• Like 2

I don’t like the scenes from her early days either.  Not interesting to me.  

I have a question about an early episode.  I’m not sure which one.  Jax invites a guy into her living room and is having sex with him on the couch.  She seems to look into a camera.  Someone is watching. Who was it?  

Am watching this. Never miss.

Still watching only because of Michael Ealy but I find his character is one dimensional and he’s kinda wasted in this show. Jax needs Damon only when her “pu$$y is pulsing”. 😆

Jax isn’t likeable. Does Emayatzy Corinealdi have some kind of “shoulders clause” in her contract that stated “shoulders must be featured at all time” or something??! 🤔

I wonder, if Jax is played by some likeable actress like Meagan Good etc, will it make any difference?

The murder case is meh, nothing intriguing about it.

I don’t understand why people on Twitter love this show so much. So confusing.

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
Removed the unnecessary.
39 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don’t like the scenes from her early days either.  Not interesting to me.  

I have a question about an early episode.  I’m not sure which one.  Jax invites a guy into her living room and is having sex with him on the couch.  She seems to look into a camera.  Someone is watching. Who was it?  

Jax's husband. Jax and the husband then recreate the sex scene between the two of them on the couch. Jax gets mad and stops it. The dialogue seems to hint they've done this before but doesn't outright say it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

Jax's husband. Jax and the husband then recreate the sex scene between the two of them on the couch. Jax gets mad and stops it. The dialogue seems to hint they've done this before but doesn't outright say it.

I thought so.  Pretty kinky.  

Jax annoys me trying to be so adamant about her parenting.  She is restricted due to her job.  It’s true.  As an attorney, your client’s case must get your full attention at certain crucial times, even if it means staying up all night, working holidays, missing school events and recitals, etc.   She seems to be in denial about that.  Thank goodness her husband can step in.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

I know we're supposed to think Jax and Damon's relationship is sexy, but all during the flashback episode, I kept thinking how inappropriate it was. If she'd kept her distance and not let him sweet talk her and hype her up, maybe she would have served him better as attorney by trying harder to convince him to take the deal offered.

You hear stories about lawyers falling for their clients, so I know it's something that happens. She was feeling lonely. I get it, but I think it's fair to say that her judgment was clouded.

I felt bad for the ADA that Jax didn't realize that he was actually asking her out (or was she just letting him down easy by playing dumb?).

ETA: I'm talking about the beginning of their relationship, not what happens after he's released.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

What smart professional like Jax doesn’t know about over the counter treatments for yeast infections?  They’ve been available for many years.  She asked her friend if she knew any home remedies for a yeast infection…..that’s odd.  Also, you can go online and have a 15 minute consult with a doctor who’ll call you in a prescription to your pharmacy if the over the counter treatments don’t work.  Most have home delivery within a couple of hours.  

I still don’t see why Jax is so desirable.  Her new lover doesn’t seem impressive either.  I just don’t find these characters appealing. All about stuff and not substance.

What’s up with time sequence?  They are in trial, but then they seem to be elsewhere, meeting in a conference room, handling other cases, etc.  Attending her high school reunion?  Who goes out partying at a high school reunion during a huge murder trial?  Makes no sense.  

• Like 1

Damon is getting on my nerves. Jax stated very clearly what she wants and what she can give him, and he thinks he can fuck her into changing her mind? Her life is completely different from when they met 16 years ago, and he seems to have no respect for that. He's crossing all kinds of boundaries. If he gets hurt from their relationship, it will be his own fault.

I'm willing to take bets that security guard guy will end up being the kidnapper from the show opening.

• Love 4

What’s with this show and the N word? Keep it minimal, will ya!

At first, I thought Jax is too good for Damon. Then we see that Jax is willing to suffer thru yeast infection for her criminal bae, hmm yeah they deserve each other.

I think the person who has kidnapped Jax is CJ - Damon’s brother.

Finally Lewis got some TLC for himself. Sadly, he chose a neighbourhood h0e out of desperation. This decision may come back and bite him. We’ll see.

Is this show trying to imply that Paul has molested Jax? 😳

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Is this show trying to imply that Paul has molested Jax? 😳

That's what I'm thinking, or at the very least, he physically abused her. I'm surprised Jax never told Lewis what happened. And if that is what Paul did, then her mother is triply wrong for butting into Jax's marriage. She has no standing to tell anybody anything.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/6/2022 at 8:16 AM, mrsbagnet said:

That's what I'm thinking, or at the very least, he physically abused her. I'm surprised Jax never told Lewis what happened. And if that is what Paul did, then her mother is triply wrong for butting into Jax's marriage. She has no standing to tell anybody anything.

Do you remember Paul’s birthday scene in E01 where Naima sat on his lap?

Why would Jax be okay with it if Paul really did abuse her. I really don’t understand Jax sometimes.

D5918BAE-5183-4E79-8D15-6C24B1DC7BCF.jpeg

• Like 1

S01.E08: Song Cry

With Paul in the hospital, we flashback to teenage Jax and gain a deeper understanding of her past trauma and how it informs the present. The defense rests in Brayden’s case as Jax has a revelation about the case.

November 8, 2022      Hulu         

Max discussing details about her trial, case and client with Damon is terribly inappropriate.  Omg, it’s cringe worthy.  I don’t even mention details of a case about a client that my family doesn’t even know.  To speak in detail about a known client is just bizarre.  And it’s clear he is unhinged.  She would have seen this, if she waited 5 minutes before sleeping with him.  Then to meet with him in private!  Omg, he’s unstable.  Poor choice to further enmesh herself with him. So, this tells me she really doesn’t want a marriage with Louis.  She’s a player.    

Jax’s childhood experience is terrible.  Her decisions from back then are understandable. She was a child.  I’m glad she confronted Paul.  She probably wasn’t the only one he abused or attempted to abuse.  It looks like he’s a goner, unless they resuscitate him.  

So, why did Jax get upset with Chanel for commenting to Louis that Jax seemed happy with Louis?  That’s a good thing, no?  

They sure have a lot of time spent out of the courtroom to be in the midst of a major trial.  Plus, all that detective and research work last minute……I don’t it.  And they haven’t already prepped their witnesses?  Odd.  It seems rather haphazard.  

So, who is the killer?

The defense has already rested, so will she improperly address new evidence in her closing argument?  It wouldn’t surprise me.  Lol

• Love 1

I’ve rewatched some early episodes.  In episode 2 Jax has a flashback of the murdered woman looking upset.  It’s just for a second. Why?  

The part about the murdered lady (Kalisha) having signed the settlement agreement before her death seems sketchy.  Really?  Normally, something like that would require a notary, but it is tv.  Did they introduce the document in court?  Did anyone confirm it was her signature?  I’m wondering if murdered lady’s cousin got upset that she signed it. Her cousin found her….hmmm….Said they were preparing to go on GMA the next day.  So, I’m suspicious of the cousin, victim’s husband and Rich, Jax’s law firm partner.  Why did Kalisha accuse the defendant of rape, if it didn’t happen?  Or was Kalisha a tool of the guy who works under Brayden Miller…to unseat him from the company.  Is there a conspiracy with multiple people? Lots to consider.  

Huh, did Damon kidnap Jax??! He’s too possessive. Or could it be CJ? She hurts his brother.

Paul… gaslighting till the end!

Always make the victim question her judgements, memories, mind and reality.

Jax: "Were all those a mistake?"

Paul: "If that's your truth, Jackie, then that's your truth. I can respect that. But it's not mine. I'm sorry."

giphy.gif

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Wink 1

So Damon's been pining after Jax for 16 years and seems to have no awareness that she was not doing the same. She has a whole family. The fact that he has any degree of jealousy is beyond the pale. She needs to stay far away from him, and he needs some therapy.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, mrsbagnet said:

So Damon's been pining after Jax for 16 years and seems to have no awareness that she was not doing the same. She has a whole family. The fact that he has any degree of jealousy is beyond the pale. She needs to stay far away from him, and he needs some therapy.

I completely agree, but I think it may be too late for that. Jax had no business opening this door. I find it ridiculous that she wasn't more aware of the minefield she was stepping into. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Everyone was willing to say that the poor security guard guy was the kidnapper!  LOL!  I'm still holding out hope that it isn't him!  I feel so bad for him!

I know. I feel bad for saying that. I'm not sure who it is now. Everyone on this show is shady except Daniel and Krystal.

Some of my favorite moments on the show are the little Black cultural moments that confuse the non-Black characters. Like when Jax and Krystal used the phrase "been done," and Daniel was confused, then tried and failed to use it correctly. In the last episode it was "All skinfolk ain't kinfolk" in front of Rich, who looked bewildered.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • LOL 1
32 minutes ago, mrsbagnet said:

In the last episode it was "All skinfolk ain't kinfolk" in front of Rich, who looked bewildered.

That moment was so odd.  Jax and Krystal had a little sidebar where they kept kind of ad-libbing, and it went on, and it trailed off.  I feel like they kind of improvised it, because why wasn't the camera on them???  And it went on for a few minutes, all the while, the camera is just staring at Daniel just reacting.  LOL.  I watch a LOT of TV, and I don't really see things like that.  It was so funny and weird!

They kind of said something like

"You know?  Because they don't.... they don't ... you know."  😄

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Everyone on this show is messy! Whooee, messy!!!

Except Naima, at least so far. She seems like the only one who hasn't revealed her terrible flaws...yet.

It was a GROSS violation and VERY unethical for a public defender to get personal that way with a client. OF course he's desperate and sees her as a lifeline and the transference is similar to what sometimes happens with a psychiatric patient and their therapist. It's absolutely not a line to cross. WHether he was innocent of the murder and just had his mind wrecked by his experience of being locked up, or whether he was guilty and manipulating her the entire time, it was just wrong for Jax to get involved with Damon to the extent she did when they first met and again after he got out of prison. 

The marriage between Jax and Lewis creeps me out. He seems to be a mostly okay father, but she's a great mother, and actually knows more about what's going on with her kids than he does, despite that he thinks she's not paying attention. Whenever there's a crisis, he doesn't know what to do and she does. He doesn't remember permission slips or know how to assess constipation vs cramps vs something serious. He panics. He also uses the kids as a threat to try to leverage getting what he wants from Jax, like when he says he's ready for divorce "and nothing will keep him from his kids"-- as though there was any suggestion that Jax would try to take them away from him vs having joint custody. He's shady as hell and I can't stand him.

He refuses to go to couple's therapy because he doesn't want to look at himself and just wants Jax to change. It's creepy as hell. He has sex with that other woman purely out of anger, which is also really creepy. It's like he thinks women exist to serve him and he isn't really interested in their feelings or experience.

I felt so bad for Will. He should file an assault complaint but he's probably so depressed by his situation that he won't.

I thought the Jax childhood reveals were developed really well. The way her thinking about it came out in layers, to me really evoked how traumatic it was for her and how much it's gotten stuck in her processing of it because of the secrecy and the choice she made to not draw a line and risk what she thought of as her family. 

The Braden trial... they didn't tell us whose fingerprint was on the glass, did they? So whatever they are hiding from us is probably means something, but maybe they left it ambiguous because they wanted to throw all the possibilities at the jury to increase doubt and keep the tv audience also hesitating to decide.

I liked Jax's friends more and more the more we got to know them. Ditto for Jax's work team. The investigator is a bit annoying to me, in a stylized TV way, but he seems okay other than that. The assistant I like a lot. And the other lawyer who does corporate/contract work-- I didn't like him at all in the beginning but he's grown on me. I like that he sees through things and isn't actually as threatened by Jax or easily baited by his clients as it seemed at first. 

• Love 2