Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

I give the show a reverse* for Wednesday’s FJ, because the wording kept me from a respectable 2/5. So just a sad 1/5 here, which is honestly still better than I expected for TOC week. I may not be a champion, but at least I’m in excellent company!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 5

3/5 with one*.  Monday and Wednesday were right in my history major brain but am not quite sure why Thursday was such an instaget for me since to the the best of my remembrance, I have never read nor seen Lost Horizons but there I was shouting out the answer as soon as the clue appeared. 

Am mad at myself for missing Longfellow - read enough literature/poetry of the period in college but could not pull the name out of my memory banks.  For Friday, I was zipping all around the mid European map but didn't come close to Zurich.

In honor of Longfellow publishing in Portland, I will bring some classic Whoopee Pies as a suitably Maine dessert for the table. 

• Applause 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 11/7/2022 at 12:15 PM, Grundoon59 said:

In honor of Longfellow publishing in Portland, I will bring some classic Whoopee Pies as a suitably Maine dessert for the table. 

Oh, man, I love me some Whoopee Pies. Yeay! (Even though I'm not seated anywhere near your table ...)

Scores are in for Week 8. Of the 30 contestants, seven got 1 * and three got both *. Congrats to those 10 Smarty Pants. Three scored 0, the popular T41 seated 13 players (waves HELLO to my friends!), six got a 2, seven got a 3, no one is sitting at the Table 4 4, and one very lonely person is at the table for 5. And that person HAS to be Winner of Week 8, the very talented and oh-so-TofC-smart @Toothbrush! It just doesn't get any better than that.

1926064155_perfectTrophycopy.jpg.e00bc7709d35c4baed9e665120af3346.jpg

Edited by saber5055
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 8
  • Love 3

Thank you @saber5055!! Believe it or not I’m 3/3 so far this week. 

There are fried pies local to New Orleans called Hubigs, that have been out of commission since a fire in 2012. They finally hit stores again Monday, starting out with lemon (Dr Toothbrush’s favorite) and apple. He brought 5 home this evening and the mini-Toothbrushes were not impressed. More for us! 

• Fire 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Driad said:

Week 9: 3/5 plus today's big asterisk.  I had cataract surgery this week so I'll bring carrots and other healthy-eyes foods.

Wow! I guess blaming my weekly score on having another bad cold is a pretty wimpy excuse!

Week 9: 0/5

I'm bringing cans of Wegmans Organic Chicken Noodle Soup and some fresh baby spinach to add to it:

large_824c504a-13d2-44cf-92c8-7627c0a7144f.jpglarge_f97baa10-f6c0-470a-a3a0-58ccaac0be32.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, GrannySmith said:

Kew came to mind, but I dismissed it because I didn’t think it was a former Royal estate. 😜

Ditto.

2/5 0*

11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I haven't been paying attention. My brother died Wednesday night. I'm devastated.

I am so sorry, @Prevailing Wind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

Week 9:  1/5, and that's being generous with Monday.  I think I just had "sword" without "Damocles".  I'll be glad to sit at the table for zero or for one, whatever makes the seating assignment work better.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 11/12/2022 at 5:36 PM, DXD526 said:

1/5. 1/1 on Monday, 0-fer the rest of the week. I first heard of the Sword of Damocles as a tiny tot, while watching the 3 Stooges (yes, they can be educational)!   

"Lady, you must be psychic!"

• LOL 3

Week 9 • Nov. 7, 2022 — ONE asterisk
36. Phrases from the Ancient World. Cicero wrote that a tyrant ordered this to be hung from the ceiling “by a horse-hair”; his guest begged to leave.
37. Chemical Element Names. The 3 elements whose names begin with 2 vowels are iodine & these 2, one synthetic & one natural.
38. Contemporary Authors. A trip to El Paso with his young son & wondering what the city might look like years into the future inspired a novel by this author.
39, Geographic Pairs. By ferry, the distance between these 2 paired Mediterranean islands is about 40 miles from Alcudia to Ciutadella.
* 40. London Locales. To fight malaria, this former royal estate helped move quinine-producing cinchona plants from South America to India.  *

• Thanks 4

Surprisingly good week for me! 3/5 (no asterisk), and I almost got the elements, as well. I knew one of them instantly and the other came to me just a little too late. Too bad we don't do half points 😆

• Applause 5
  • Love 1
On 11/11/2022 at 8:13 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I haven't been paying attention. My brother died Wednesday night. I'm devastated.

My sincere condolences. 

My TOC FJ streak is over. Damn you Kew Gardens!! I guessed Covent Garden, even though I was pretty sure it was never a royal property. 4/5 no *

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

2/5 with one * - bookends of Monday & Friday. The Sword of Damocles popped into my head at the very last second and the only way I can figure out that I got Kew Gardens was I have been rewatching the tv series "Rosemary & Thyme" which has an episode about a possible alternative malaria drug and botanist who spent time in South America - I think Rosemary consults someone connected to Kew Gardens in the episode - anyhow, it got me there only as a wild guess.  For Tuesday to Thursday, I couldn't even come up with guesses.

@Prevailing Wind, I am so sorry for your loss - sending big hugs and solace through the ether to you and your loved ones. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4

Our FJ players are holding their own during the ToC. Of the 29 reported scores, five of you got the asterisk, no mean feat topping the ToC's three top-shelf players. I'm hanging with the 0 group, which has six members this week. The T41 indeed needs a bench to fit all 15 player who got that score. T42 has a group of five, T43 is seating two, and Toothbrush, you are seated all alone at that very fine T44.

Winner of Week 9 is our most consistent player of all times, or at least these past nine weeks. And that's @labresq, who has scored the same for the past seven weeks. That has to be a record! So behold, our mighty labresq, your official Week 9 Winner badge of honor.

162229851_week9.png.5252f3bc0c2148bba2ab4008470aac5f.png

• Applause 9
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Our FJ players are holding their own during the ToC. Of the 29 reported scores, five of you got the asterisk, no mean feat topping the ToC's three top-shelf players. I'm hanging with the 0 group, which has six members this week. The T41 indeed needs a bench to fit all 15 player who got that score. T42 has a group of five, T43 is seating two, and Toothbrush, you are seated all alone at that very fine T44.

Winner of Week 9 is our most consistent player of all times, or at least these past nine weeks. And that's @labresq, who has scored the same for the past seven weeks. That has to be a record! So behold, our mighty labresq, your official Week 9 Winner badge of honor.

162229851_week9.png.5252f3bc0c2148bba2ab4008470aac5f.png

Why, thank you so much!!!  A very nice surprise!  I appreciate your taking the time to find the positive!

• Applause 5
  • Love 2