Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

2/5. Just Hemingway and Trevi for me.

I will bring a key lime pie in honor of Hemingway’s home. 
68253650-21F4-4256-AFFA-A90B91419165.jpeg.b05f1274fc84e656a2f74dde499e19bf.jpeg

(What, did you think I was going to bake it myself?)

We never wait for it to thaw - it's enjoyable frozen too.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

2/5. Just Hemingway and Trevi for me.

I will bring a key lime pie in honor of Hemingway’s home. 
68253650-21F4-4256-AFFA-A90B91419165.jpeg.b05f1274fc84e656a2f74dde499e19bf.jpeg

(What, did you think I was going to bake it myself?)

As long as nobody minds if I scrape the yummy filling off the nasty graham cracker crap underneath. (I make key lime pie with chocolate cookie crust.)

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
47 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

As long as nobody minds if I scrape the yummy filling off the nasty graham cracker crap underneath. (I make key lime pie with chocolate cookie crust.)

Key Lime Pies are supposed to have a real pie crust, not that graham cracker crap. Whoever invented graham cracker crust... someone needs to go back in time and kill them before they invent it.  It's horrible crap.

• Fire 1
11 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Key Lime Pies are supposed to have a real pie crust, not that graham cracker crap. Whoever invented graham cracker crust... someone needs to go back in time and kill them before they invent it.  It's horrible crap.

Love graham cracker crust - particularly my own. But hey, different strokes and all that.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Finally caught up on Jeopardy, after getting back from vacation several days ago. I have a new bestie who thinks I'm hilarious... Hanging out with a 5 month old is great for the soul, but can also give one delusions of grandeur  "Should I become a comedian?!!! All my bits are absolutely slaying in this crib." Great trip, obviously 🥰

Week 6: 2/5, one *

Week 7, much better! 4/5. No asterisk though. I had no clue on Friday. I thought I had no clue on Thursday, the American composer, and threw out a wild guess that turned out to be right. When that happens, I wonder if it was really a lucky guess, or did I know it deep within my brain somewhere 🤔 

• Applause 3
  • Love 6

Week seven: three of five, but no asterisk.

Sorry for the late posting. I was out of town, at Homecoming for West Virginia University, where I was honored for being one of the first women in the University Marching Band 50 years ago, in 1972. I even got to ride on the back of a convertible in the parade!

• Fire 3
  • Applause 6
  • Love 4

Got 4/5 with no *.  My favorite was Tuesday since I got the answer because as a small Grundoon, I had repeatedly listened to the old Danny Kaye "Hans Christian Anderson" album - "Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen".

No spare food (even imaginary) in the cupboard this week since I haven't been shopping.  Will do better next week.

Thanks for all the good wishes about my trip - I had a grand time on my one week NYC to Bermuda to NYC cruise and an amazing time on my one night stay over in NYC after it when I saw two fantastic Broadway shows and walked around Manhattan until my feet gave out.  Mother Grundoon was with me in spirit and had a good time as well. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 10

@Ailianna - I saw Into the Woods and 1776 - both are running through January 8 (I think that is the date).  Long time fan of both shows (saw original Woods on tour and all Broadway versions of 1776) - LOVED both of these versions.  I went to both box offices on the day I was there and got great seats - for Woods, I was front row and for 1776 I got a rush seat in the mezzanine so saw both for $105 total.  I would go back to either in a heartbeat and I am not usually one to hang out at the stage door but I did for both and got to speak briefly with some of the cast in each show. 

• Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

While we've yet to hear from @theartandsound, @OperaLover1229 and @shapeshifter, here's the roundup for Week 6 of our contest.

Of the 28 recorded scores, three got the asterisk. CONGRATS! Six scored a 1 (Saber takes a bow), seven scored 2, 10 scored a 3, four achieved 4 correct answers, and one stood out above the rest, the only player to have a PERFECT WEEK! That player is hereby awarded Winner of Week Six. Behold @Driad:

1388274469_perfectcopy.jpg.cabd39b6eff12f7e4b07e30b8315ae0c.jpg

• Fire 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

That player is hereby awarded Winner of Week Six. Behold @Driad:

Thank you, Saber.  As far as FJ was concerned, that was a good week for me: none of the categories in which I tend to fail miserably.  I probably just jinxed myself.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

While we've yet to hear from @theartandsound, @OperaLover1229 and @shapeshifter, here's the roundup for Week 6 of our contest.

Of the 28 recorded scores, three got the asterisk. CONGRATS! Six scored a 1 (Saber takes a bow), seven scored 2, 10 scored a 3, four achieved 4 correct answers, and one stood out above the rest, the only player to have a PERFECT WEEK! That player is hereby awarded Winner of Week Six. Behold @Driad:

1388274469_perfectcopy.jpg.cabd39b6eff12f7e4b07e30b8315ae0c.jpg

Oops. 

Week 7: 2/5 no *

Did I ever tell all y'all about the summer I picked cherries in the Okanagan Valley of BC on a 16 ft. wooden ladder wearing an ankle-length hippie skirt? No? 
You grab the middle of the hem of the back of the skirt and tuck it into the front of the waist.
Anyway, here's a food representing the number 𝟐

181-1812130_cherry-fruit-food-red-2-cherries-hd-png.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

You grab the middle of the hem of the back of the skirt and tuck it into the front of the waist.

That's what Yul Brynner did with the big skirt he wore in "The King and I."  There was a twirling motion involved to twist the fabric before the tucking, eventually appearing to be pants.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

Week of 24 October:
4/5, one *.

Sorry for being late, sick as a dog for a week now.... really bad cold or something (neg on COVID 4 times, neg on flu).... guess this one is just kicking my ass cause I haven't had my usual yearly cold since before the pandemic started.

• Hugs 6
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, theartandsound said:

Sorry for being late, sick as a dog for a week now.... really bad cold or something (neg on COVID 4 times, neg on flu).... guess this one is just kicking my ass cause I haven't had my usual yearly cold since before the pandemic started.

I had my first actual cold since before covid last week. In the past 2+ years I haven't had anything more than a slightly scratchy throat for a few days a few times. It wasn't too bad (an actual sore throat for two days and sniffles and some coughing for a few more), but it came with an ear infection that got me a course of antibiotics and is still mildly affecting my balance.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

• Hugs 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Thanks TAAS. I will always save your weekly score space, don't worry! Sad to hear you are under the weather though, that stinks. But J is fun to watch from the couch, under a warm, snuggly quilt. So there's that plus to it! Plus being sick didn't affect your J brain power, so good on that, too!

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

Week 8: 1/5
YTD: 18/40 (45%)

Like I said in the TOC thread, my ego will be glad when this tourney is over. I am doing so badly this week.

I made Annie's mac & cheese for dinner; still have some left.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Week 8 • Oct. 31, 2022 — TWO asterisk
31. Places in American History. A Native American story says this creek got its name from an injury suffered by a Sioux warrior in a fight with the Crow.
* 32. Poets. Inspired by stories from his grandfather, his “Battle of Lovell’s Pond” appeared in the Portland Gazette in 1820 when he was 13.  *
33. Phrases in American History. Andrew Johnson vetoed a bill that gave reparations to formerly enslaved people, hence this phrase for an unfulfilled promise.
* 34. Novel Locales. This place from a 1933 novel lies in the Valley of Blue Moon, below a peak called Karakal. *
35. World Cities. The name of this city may come from “dur”, meaning water, a reference to the Helvetian people’s settlement on a lake.

• Thanks 3

5/5 ** I average 3/5 and maybe get 50% of * in regular games but perfect week during TOC. I am an enigma wrapped in whatever. 
Shangri-La was a guess, and I instaguessed Geneva but thought too obvious then suddenly caught the ‘dur’ ‘Zur’ich connection just in time. Whew! 

• Fire 3
  • Applause 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

5/5 ** I average 3/5 and maybe get 50% of * in regular games but perfect week during TOC. I am an enigma wrapped in whatever. 
Shangri-La was a guess, and I instaguessed Geneva but thought too obvious then suddenly caught the ‘dur’ ‘Zur’ich connection just in time. Whew! 

Congratulations @Toothbrush You had an awesome week.
Especially as it was a TOC game 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

Week eight: three of five, with one asterisk!

It's seems that it was my week for geographically related questions -- I got Wounded Knee, Shangri-La, and Zurich. My mother is descended from Swiss immigrants, but we don't have any traditional recipes. I guess I'll have to bring chocolate fondue!

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2