Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Week 5: 3/5 one *

YTD: 14/25  one *

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Mine were Gerber, Woodstock, and Jules Verne. 
Did other 3-ers have the same? 

I did!

Wow, what a great bit of good news for your daughter's friend!

• Like 3
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Driad said:

I did, so 3/5, 1 *, 1 C*, right?

I guess?

Does
C* = just Cris whiffed FJ,
but
I got FJ?

And does
* = no contestants got FJ,
but
I got FJ?

Or . . .?

Ya know, I used to be really good at math and calculus and such, but I never did well on logic portions of exams because I can see too many possibilities. 

Be thankful I didn't list here all the possible FJ Contest Asterisk definitions that popped into my head.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Does
C* = just Cris whiffed FJ,
but
I got FJ?

And does
* = no contestants got FJ,
but
I got FJ?

As I understand it, C* means Cris whiffed FJ, whether or not the others got it.  * means none of them got it.  So while Cris is on, a * is also a C*.

And in both cases, that you got it correct.

Edited by Driad
  • Useful 1

Week 5 - 1/5 for me, no *'s of any kind.  Unless I get a ruling from our Supreme Leader that I get credit for "Gerbers" on Monday (which would bring me up to an impressive 2/5).

But if we're doing this C* thing, I think I got one in week 3 (Ian Fleming) and one in week 4 (Green Book).  Now I feel a little better.

Edited by SoMuchTV
Clarification
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Ya know, I used to be really good at math and calculus and such, but I never did well on logic portions of exams because I can see too many possibilities.

I'm a terrible filer for the same reason - never can remember what I filed stuff under. On the other hand, it made me a great indexer.

• Applause 1
38 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Am I correct, we don’t do the FJ Contest during tournament weeks?

As long as the tournaments are actually part of Jeopady!, ie not a primetime special, we do the FJ contest.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

Week 5 • Oct. 10, 2022 — ONE asterisk which was also a C*
16.  Brand Names. A neighbor’s charcoal drawing of Ann Turner Cook at age 4 or 5 months won a 1928 contest to appear in ads for this brand.
17. Famous Ships. Its wreck was discovered in 1989, 48 years after it had been sunk & 91 years after the man it was named for had died.
18. 20th Century Leaders. In a Sept. 3, 1939, speech, he said, “Everything that I have worked for…has crashed into ruins.”
19. Documentaries. In this 1970 film, Max Yasgur says, “I’m a farmer…I don’t know how to speak to 20 people…let alone a crowd like this.”
*C* 20. Authors. Featuring a statue of a man escaping his grave, his tomb in Amiens contrasts with the title of his 1864 adventure novel. *C

ETA: Contest will continue as usual through the tournaments. FYI!

4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Unless I get a ruling from our Supreme Leader that I get credit for "Gerbers" on Monday (which would bring me up to an impressive 2/5).

I'm giving credit for Gerbers. So 2/5 for you, my friend.

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I'm giving credit for Gerbers. So 2/5 for you, my friend.

Woohoo! Suck it, you pedants on the main thread!  (Oh and also thank you for taking the time to give me your well thought out responses which were probably more in line with what the actual Jeopardy! judges would rule.)  Extra puppy treats (or people treats) for Saber at the table for two. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

3/5 with the * this week 

I'm on vacation (finally met my newest niece today!) and won't be watching until I get home next Wednesday. And it'll take a few days to catch up on a week and a half worth of recorded episodes... since it's a tournament, I don't want to just look it up. I'll post when I'm up to date 😁

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

2/5 *C* (Gerber and Verne)

Since most of us got Gerber, I’m bringing a pot of beef vegetable soup, which was the first flavor of commercial baby food ever marketed and also part of the initial Gerber line. I’m hoping you’ll find mine to be a little less mushy.

53127EC8-BD75-4BFB-ACE3-24B08386DDA7.jpeg.286d0a21146b47c935cd3e90559de221.jpeg

• Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

2/5 *C* (Gerber and Verne)

Since most of us got Gerber, I’m bringing a pot of beef vegetable soup, which was the first flavor of commercial baby food ever marketed and also part of the initial Gerber line. I’m hoping you’ll find mine to be a little less mushy.

53127EC8-BD75-4BFB-ACE3-24B08386DDA7.jpeg.286d0a21146b47c935cd3e90559de221.jpeg

We need a yum emoji!

• Applause 3
  • Love 3
On 10/16/2022 at 12:04 AM, j5cochran said:

Week five: four of five without the asterisk. I sat there Friday thinking, "it's the French guy that wrote Around the World in Eighty Days... and all those other early sci-fi novels..." time! 

Get out of my head @j5cochran - exact same score (4/5, no *) and almost word for word thinking on Friday.  I am blaming a rough week at work.  🤣

The beef vegetable soup looks yummy - I will bring a green salad to pass around the table. 

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

Get out of my head @j5cochran - exact same score (4/5, no *) and almost word for word thinking on Friday.  I am blaming a rough week at work.  🤣

The beef vegetable soup looks yummy - I will bring a green salad to pass around the table. 

And I'll bring dinner rolls. Soup, salad, and rolls are a great combo.

• Like 4

If the question has already been answered, I missed it. Does our FJ contest include the next two weeks for the Second Chance Tournament and the following two weeks for the TOC?

Or

Is the contest on hiatus until the week of November 14th?

2 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

If the question has already been answered, I missed it. Does our FJ contest include the next two weeks for the Second Chance Tournament and the following two weeks for the TOC?

Or

Is the contest on hiatus until the week of November 14th?

My understanding is that if it runs in the regular Jeopardy time slot, it's included in the contest.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
On 10/14/2022 at 8:42 PM, shapeshifter said:

I am sure I only got today's because my daughter called during the break to tell me that she got a thank you note from her coworker for saving her life and said to thank me too. In 2016 I survived stage 4 colon cancer, and ever since then my oldest daughter has been telling people far and wide (and she travels the world and is on social media) to get colonoscopies. Her coworker was only 37, but her coworker's grandmother died of colon cancer and when her mother had a colonoscopy, she had polyps. After much nagging by my daughter, the coworker went back to the doctor who had told her to wait until she was 45 to get a colonoscopy and convinced him to let her get a colonoscopy at 37. It turned out she had a huge cancerous tumor in her appendix that was about to rupture, which would have killed her. 

And that's why I got today's C* of Jules Verne.

Amazing story. I’m glad you’re both ok. 

Non-FJ shout out to our favorite French philosopher today. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Week 6: 3/5 with one *
YTD: 13/30 (43%)

In honor of tonight's FJ, how 'bout some knitting-themed cookies?
image.png.e63f87e82b82342c450f2dc424e3e61e.png

(Funnily enough, I was an English Major and took a whole class on Dickens, but we didn't read A Tale of Two Cities. I read it sometime after I graduated.)

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5

Week 6: 0/5

I have a big fat zero unless the ever-merciful @saber5055 wants to start making it more complicated by offering halves for 2-part clues, in which case I would be:
0.5 or ½ out of 5 for Kazakhstan on Thursday, but I don't think I can forgive myself for not coming up with either of the gimmees of Mongolia or North Korea.

And since I have a large bag of O-shaped Clementines in the fridge that I need to rehome or else they will mold because it seems my heartburn has returned, I am virtually offering them here to those not of the faint of heartburn:

clementines.jpg

11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

(Funnily enough, I was an English Major and took a whole class on Dickens, but we didn't read A Tale of Two Cities. I read it sometime after I graduated.)

We did read A Tale of Two Cities in high school, but it's the books I read outside of school that stuck with me; I would never have come up with Madame DeFarge.
So I said Silas Marner because he was a weaver from the right century, even though I knew he didn't fit the clue. 

11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

In honor of tonight's FJ, how 'bout some knitting-themed cookies?
image.png.e63f87e82b82342c450f2dc424e3e61e.png

Love the knitting-themed cookies for the Friday FJ!

Edited by shapeshifter
De not Le
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Dropping in to say I've been gone so much the past two weeks, I'm way behind on keeping up with the contest. Planning on doing that now, before I'm gone again tomorrow.

And yes, the contest takes no breaks regardless of what's on the daily Jeopardy, tournament or regular play, we count all of them thar FJs in this contest.

I like to be a nice guy but sorry @shapeshifter, no half points. Although half a point would be better than half a brain. Or would it?

Like an old friend used to say, half a loaf is better than no rest at all.

ETA: That picture of Current Champion Cris on TJF home page ... he looks an awful lot like Misha Collins. YOWZA!

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

WEEK 6 • Oct. 17, 2022 — TWO asterisk
21. Famous Animals. In September 1964 the New York Times announced the passing of this pet, a gift, “used as a symbol of honesty in 1952.”
* 22. Landmarks of Science. Clones of an original one of these grow outside the math faculty at Cambridge University & in the President’s garden at M.I.T.  *
23. American History. Ben Franklin, John Adams & John Jay succeeded as a trio in this city, though Adams wrote of fearing the other 2 would gang up on him.
24. International Borders. 2 of the 3 countries that share land borders with Russia & China.
* 25. 19th Century Literary Characters. This character from an 1859 novel symbolizes the fates, who in mythology spin the web of life, measure it & cut it off. *

Edited by saber5055
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, Driad said:

Thanks, but you listed only four days.  Asterisk today, correct?

Thank goodness posters here are keeping track of me and helping me do better. This week's clues have been corrected and yes, asterisk today. THANKS @Driad!

• Hugs 1
  • Love 1

Thanks, Saber.  Virtual treat for you!

This week I got 4/5, 2 *.  Some guesses but they count.  Bringing pita bread, veggies, hummus, and baba ganoush.

I have been an editor, and appreciate the usefulness of "other eyes."

Edited by Driad
  • Like 2
  • Love 1