Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Week 3 • Sept. 26, 2022 — THREE asterisk
* 6. Magazines. A now annual issue of this magazine was inspired by the high-society parties of Caroline Astor, whose ballroom fit about 400 people.  *
7. World Airports. Africa’s 2 busiest passenger airports are in these 2 countries; it’s an 8-hour flight between them.
* 8. World Rivers. These 2 rivers share the names of countries, end with the same 4 letters & both join up with the Parana River. *
* 9. Innovations. Seen by a worldwide audience in 1970, black pentagons were added to these to help viewers follow them better on TV. *
10. Before They Were Authors. While working for British intelligence during World War II, he was codenamed 17F.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
(edited)

I didn't have a clue what day it is today until I went to schedule next week's FJ contest and saw today is 1001. Holy cow, @ams1001, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Here is my contribution to this week's fiesta. Because I prefer pie to cake, and it's all about me, right? so here is a confetti birthday PIE to celebrate ams1001's special day. Party on, my fellow dudes!

confetti-birthday-pie-1.jpeg

Edited by saber5055
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

I didn't have a clue what day it is today until I went to schedule next week's FJ contest and saw today is 1001. Holy cow, @ams1001, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Here is my contribution to this week's fiesta. Because I prefer pie to cake, and it's all about me, right? so here is a confetti birthday PIE to celebrate ams1001's special day. Party on, my fellow dudes!

confetti-birthday-pie-1.jpeg

I won't turn down pie! Thank you :)

• Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

4/5 w/**
I missed soccer balls & guessed weather maps???? Don’t know where that came from But 1970 was before my time anyway haha 

The rivers were a huge guess. I was lucky that my mind went to S America & those were the only countries that I could think of with the same last 4 letters. I had no idea that there are rivers with those names as well, and hopefully I’ll remember if it ever comes up again. 

Forbes, Ian Fleming, & Egypt were instagets. South Africa took a second but once I started thinking what countries are in Southern Africa, oh, South Africa, of course. Thank goodness the name was obvious based on my train of thought. 

Happy Birthday @ams1001bundt cake comedy GIF by My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2  My office celebrates birthdays with a cake from Nothing Bundt Cake and of course we have to do the bunk-bonk scene. It’s mandatory. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Fex said:

hoops! I don't think "Forbes 400" even rings a bell.

It didn't ring a bell for me, either, but I've seen at least three mentions of Forbes (and at least one was the Forbes 400, specifically) since that clue.

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

• Love 3

2/5, no *.

Both were instagets, although for a quick moment I said Cairo and Jo-berg, then realized they wanted countries. Ian Fleming was just something I apparently just knew, but I love true spy materials, especially WWII and Cold War.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

In the "Magazines" category, I definitely honed in on the wrong part of the clue. Instead of paying attention to the 400, my brain locked on ballroom and I said Architectural Digest. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

In the "Magazines" category, I definitely honed in on the wrong part of the clue. Instead of paying attention to the 400, my brain locked on ballroom and I said Architectural Digest. 🤦‍♀️

I did the same!

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Both were instagets, although for a quick moment I said Cairo and Jo-berg, then realized they wanted countries. Ian Fleming was just something I apparently just knew, but I love true spy materials, especially WWII and Cold War.

Get out of my brain! That was exactly my thinking about Cairo and Jo-Berg first, then I saved myself. And I knew the Ian Fleming answer even w/o the extra clues. Sometimes I do feel smart.

Sometimes.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Get out of my brain! That was exactly my thinking about Cairo and Jo-Berg first, then I saved myself. And I knew the Ian Fleming answer even w/o the extra clues. Sometimes I do feel smart.

Sometimes.

Just ride that feeling and enjoy it without too much analysis. It's good for you to feel smart.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Three cheers and three toots of a unicorn's horn for @ProudMary, winner of Week 3. Old-timey players know I like patterns, and ProudMary was the only one who created a countdown pattern over the three weeks of this contest. For this, she deserves recognition of the highest measure. CONGRATS ProudMary!

unicorn-three.jpg.602304142ac4708b34699bdee51f98b6.jpg

• Applause 8
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Three cheers and three toots of a unicorn's horn for @ProudMary, winner of Week 3. Old-timey players know I like patterns, and ProudMary was the only one who created a countdown pattern over the three weeks of this contest. For this, she deserves recognition of the highest measure. CONGRATS ProudMary!

unicorn-three.jpg.602304142ac4708b34699bdee51f98b6.jpg

Oh wow, what a nice surprise. Thank you. I love unicorns! 🦄

@saber5055, as a lover of patterns, you'll be pleased to hear that as of tonight I'm right on target to continue the countdown. Incorrect answers for Monday and Tuesday, but I did get tonight's FJ correct, so I'm sitting at 1/3. I'm certainly going to attempt to break the pattern Thursday and Friday, but I wouldn't be surprised to find myself at the T41 at week's end.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1