Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

The tallies for Week 1 are in. Congratulations ALL players, the summer off was good for your brain power. We had an amazing THREE perfect scores from GrannySmith, Illdoc and TheArtAndSound. Browncoat gets special recognition for having the only 4 score (and not seven years ago) PLUS that illusive asterisk. Nine others got plain old regular 4s. (Note that 4s are not "regular" in Saber's universe.) Also shining a spotlight on Driad and Mindthinkr who both got 3s plus THAT asterisk. Nice! Seven other players got asterisk-less 3s. Eight players got 2s. And rounding out the field as the only player to get that lonely 1, ta da! Presenting your contest host, SABER! Woo hoo!

With so many doing so well, it was easy for me to pick the first winner of Season 39's Final Jeopardy! Contest, and that's the person who made me laugh more than once (three times actually) in this thread, and trust me, a laugh is golden in my life at the moment. And that Weekly One Winner is no other than @opus, shown here wearing the T-shirt he was awarded as this week's prize. Lookin' good, Opus!

opus.jpg.7ed24a58c56cb0fa9c4eb6b7bb9fec12.jpg

• Fire 2
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
54 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The tallies for Week 1 are in. Congratulations ALL players, the summer off was good for your brain power. We had an amazing THREE perfect scores from GrannySmith, Illdoc and TheArtAndSound. Browncoat gets special recognition for having the only 4 score (and not seven years ago) PLUS that illusive asterisk. Nine others got plain old regular 4s. (Note that 4s are not "regular" in Saber's universe.) Also shining a spotlight on Driad and Mindthinkr who both got 3s plus THAT asterisk. Nice! Seven other players got asterisk-less 3s. Eight players got 2s. And rounding out the field as the only player to get that lonely 1, ta da! Presenting your contest host, SABER! Woo hoo!

With so many doing so well, it was easy for me to pick the first winner of Season 39's Final Jeopardy! Contest, and that's the person who made me laugh more than once (three times actually) in this thread, and trust me, a laugh is golden in my life at the moment. And that Weekly One Winner is no other than @opus, shown here wearing the T-shirt he was awarded as this week's prize. Lookin' good, Opus!

opus.jpg.7ed24a58c56cb0fa9c4eb6b7bb9fec12.jpg

51ACA233-D3E6-49C9-ACF4-E114F7A00250.jpeg

• Applause 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

Tried to multi quote and I'm not sure if it worked. I'm such a techno dweeb.

Muddying up this thread to say HUGE thanks to all of you, esp those who gave hugs! (Laughter and hugs are the best medicine IMO) I've always had this secret wish to meet some of the posters here in real life to tell you how important you are to me. I actually did that for some DWTS chat friends back in 2010 - we met in NYC and have been corresponding ever since. Internet buddies!

I've had a year+ of pure hell - physically and emotionally - and I'm ecstatic that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I had quite a few days when I didn't know if I would... it's been the biggest challenge of my life.

Moral of the story: keep the faith! Soldier on! One day at a time! Follow your bliss! And if none of those work, swear a lot! LOL

• Hugs 6
  • Applause 6

Week 2 - 3/5.  Setting an unreasonably high bar for myself for the rest of the season.

What was the *? Nevermind, the previous post was talking about both weeks so far.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

Sorry for being late guys, I've been gone. But I'm back so yeay for me.

Week 2 • Sept. 19, 2022 — NO asterisk
6. Historic Documents. The governor of Mass. wrote, it “is a poor document, but a mighty act…wrong in its delay till January, but grand & sublime after all.”
7. American Government. Delivered on January 8, 1790, the first of these was also the shortest, at 1,089 words.
8. Famous Names. Perhaps the most famous picture of him was taken in New Jersey in 1951 as he was annoyed by paparazzi on his 72nd birthday.
9. Pop Culture. In 2011 Leland, Mississippi, where Jim Henson grew up, honored Henson & his Muppets by renaming a bridge this, also a song title.
10. Literary Characters. In a later part of the epic named for him, this character becomes king after his cousin Heardred dies in battle.

• Thanks 3
  • Love 2
On 9/22/2022 at 7:07 AM, Bliss said:

Muddying up this thread to say HUGE thanks to all of you, esp those who gave hugs! (Laughter and hugs are the best medicine IMO) I've always had this secret wish to meet some of the posters here in real life to tell you how important you are to me.

This is for you @Bliss. You are def NOT "muddying up this thread." On the contrary, this where FJ Contest players can meet and greet and post about anything besides FJ. This contest is for fun, and I want to keep it that way, not just a cut-and-dried score-posting site. We're a family, as people like to say. So please continue to post, even if you can't play. We care about you and need updates. So there!

As for meeting posters, I got to be excellent friends with posters on the old TWoP site for, of all things, Prison Break. We kept in touch after TWoP closed shop, and exchanged Xmas presents and such. Good friends can be found in the most unlikely places, no? Reading here certainly brightens my day, for sure. It's a small pleasure but a pleasure all the same.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
On 9/22/2022 at 8:07 AM, Bliss said:

Tried to multi quote and I'm not sure if it worked. I'm such a techno dweeb.

Muddying up this thread to say HUGE thanks to all of you, esp those who gave hugs! (Laughter and hugs are the best medicine IMO) I've always had this secret wish to meet some of the posters here in real life to tell you how important you are to me. I actually did that for some DWTS chat friends back in 2010 - we met in NYC and have been corresponding ever since. Internet buddies!

I've had a year+ of pure hell - physically and emotionally - and I'm ecstatic that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I had quite a few days when I didn't know if I would... it's been the biggest challenge of my life.

Moral of the story: keep the faith! Soldier on! One day at a time! Follow your bliss! And if none of those work, swear a lot! LOL

I'm sorry the last year has been so bad for you, but glad you are finding your way out. I can empathize with this feeling this year too. In March I went in for surgery and was expected to shortly walk out much improved. Instead, 63 days in the hospital, ten weeks of home confinement, and now I'm in a wheelchair. BUT, I'm finding there can be a lot of joy in simple things. I got hand controls in my car, so I can drive again. This week, I got from home outside and into the car, wheelchair and all, in under ten minutes one day. Sometimes it's like walking a dog. You can focus on the doodoo, or you can watch the sun coming up with your best friend. I hope you have a lot of best--friends-sunrises coming up!

In slightly more on topic thoughts, I claim 4/5! Einstein entirely escaped me but I'm still enjoying Kermit singing in my head!

• Hugs 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

I didn't get any this week.  I thought about Rainbow Bridge but ruled it out because of the poem Rainbow Bridge and thought they wouldn't name a real bridge that.  That's not to say that I don't believe in the Rainbow Bridge...cause I do.

Edited by labresq
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 1

I was shocked and stunned to get a 3 this week. Unheard of! Most amazing was Friday. I typically get the FJ and show results from TJF every afternoon but was gone Friday so just watched the show figuring I would tank FJ as usual. And I guessed Beowulf! Go figure! I've never read it but I do own the Gerald Butler movie I purchased (and watched) during my post-300 Gerald Butler craze. It made my day.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 2

3/5 this week

As always, missed the show Friday due to football. Then didn't catch up until today due to hurricane Fiona!

My power is still out, but my apartment building has a generator, and they provide coffee, treats, Wi-Fi, and OF COURSE power outlets for charging your devices, in the common areas. Now if only I could get a hot shower... 🤣

• Hugs 12
2 hours ago, Fex said:

Now if only I could get a hot shower... 🤣

That sucks. When my power was out for almost a week after Superstorm Sandy, the only thing I had was hot water. Showered with a small flashlight hanging between the shower curtain and liner. (I lasted a couple days before I got too cold and moved to my parents' house where they at least have a grill and a fireplace.)

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Hugs 1

Week two: three of five. I seem to do better when I watch live, rather trying to guess from thejeopardyfan website. I had an evening meeting on Monday, and on Friday the family headed out of town for a weekend in Cass, West Virginia, an old logging town turned state park with tourist train rides up the second highest mountain in the state. Beautiful weather and a great weekend with friends and family!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, j5cochran said:

Week two: three of five. I seem to do better when I watch live, rather trying to guess from thejeopardyfan website. I had an evening meeting on Monday, and on Friday the family headed out of town for a weekend in Cass, West Virginia, an old logging town turned state park with tourist train rides up the second highest mountain in the state. Beautiful weather and a great weekend with friends and family!

That Cass Scenic Railroad is a gorgeous trip!  I swear, though, when I looked out into the woods, there was a black cat with a pink collar there in the wilderness!  The Potomac Eagle out of Romney, WV was another beautiful trip.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

4/5 - I got stuck on the Mayflower Compact for Monday and by the time I said "that doesn't sound like period appropriate (or accurate) language", time was up.  Count me as one embarrassed History/Government major for missing that one.

The rest of the week went well although Einstein and Beowolf were guesses at best. 

To everyone experiencing power issues, I hope things get resolved sooner rather than later - I have been through stretches of 5-6 days mostly in decent weather but I remember trying to time showers so that I could get daylight into the bathroom without flashing the neighbors. 

For those recovering from health issues, I wish you all continuing improvement.  I have been lucky in that regard but have been a caregiver so I know sometimes you have to take victories where you can find them.  Thank you for sharing with us and putting my petty little inconveniences into perspective. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 7

I got 1/5 for week two. So close to a big fat zero but I changed my mind from the Federalist Papers to the Emancipation Proclamation at the last minute.

I will bring pumpkin soup in honour of fall - finally am seeing pumpkins at the grocery store!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Week of 19 September: 5/5.

LET'S GOOOOOO!!!!

Also happy new year 5783 to all that celebrate!!!

On 9/23/2022 at 8:33 PM, shapeshifter said:

A-a-a-nd I'm back to lowering the curve:  0/5 

1433469460-oreo-plate.jpg

I was very distracted this week. 
Next week should be even more so.

Oreos would distract me too, to be perfectly honest... 😜

• Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

Hello folks. Everyone did super great this week. Here are the score totals to see how you fit into the bigger scheme of things:

0 = 3
1 = 3
2 = 4
3 = 10
4 = 5
5 = 3

Because this is Thursday, I decree it ShapeShifter Day, the official Winner of Week 2. Congrats!

shapeshifter-2.jpg.15e803784953c954a2674ccfc847bb86.jpg

• Applause 10
  • LOL 1
On 9/29/2022 at 12:03 PM, saber5055 said:

Hello folks. Everyone did super great this week. Here are the score totals to see how you fit into the bigger scheme of things:

0 = 3
1 = 3
2 = 4
3 = 10
4 = 5
5 = 3

Because this is Thursday, I decree it ShapeShifter Day, the official Winner of Week 2. Congrats!

shapeshifter-2.jpg.15e803784953c954a2674ccfc847bb86.jpg

Aw shucks 😊
But is this a Booby Prize? 
Regardless, I accept 🙇‍♀️

image.png.3a9a83382304daac984555ae16c8ad84.png

• Applause 4
  • Love 1

My oldest daughter, houseguest, and event planner for the week left this morning.
That may or may not have been why I broke my FJ losing streak tonight with Ian Flemming. 
Nevertheless, she messaged me back with "Oooh, nice!" 
The pre-Jeopardy! nap helped for sure. 
I don't think Hurricane Ian had anything to do with it.

So, for Week 3 (this was week 3, right?) I have:
1/5

Here is a food representative of 1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVZVcmRIAJjRrU4WaLbJ1

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Love 3