Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

We are pretending😉 I did not finish off the Wegman's Chocolate Dome Cake my daughter and son-in-law and grandbaby brought for my birthday *almost* a week ago, so I can share it with all of you:

Happy birthday!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Trey said:

My first week of the new season and I got 3/5, a decent enough start for me.

Me too - 3/5, no asterisk.

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

2/5 is good for me. 
It looks like I am still here to lower the curve. 🙃
The only Disney songs I know by title are from Snow White and Mary Poppins. 

We are pretending😉 I did not finish off the Wegman's Chocolate Dome Cake my daughter and son-in-law and grandbaby brought for my birthday *almost* a week ago, so I can share it with all of you:

large_574750f8-5a42-489d-86c5-9dee9a82c2ed.jpg

To quote George Takei - OH MY! What a delicious looking chocolate dome!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

3/5 with one * I almost missed the beginning of this season. Thanks to all of you who post I got in under the wire. 
Now to decide. Lemon pie or chocolate cake 😂 

If you're into pumpkin spice, I have a terrific Pumpkin Chiffon pie I can bring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

If you're into pumpkin spice, I have a terrific Pumpkin Chiffon pie I can bring.

I ordered some tea and stuff from Adagio.com (not that I needed it but they sent me a coupon for my upcoming birthday so what else could I do but go shopping?) and I got a bunch of freebies (including a little tin of birthday cake tea). One of them was a Pumpkin Spice Scone recipe along with packets of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice from one of their new sister sites (they now have spices, another tea site, and coffee). I doubt I'll ever make them in reality, but I'll gladly imagine making them for the virtual table.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Trey said:

He did rule against her before she corrected herself...(though you could tell she knew she was wrong and was trying to get the right name out of her brain). I do think they seem a bit inconsistent in the timing of rulings and how sometimes they have time to say something else and sometimes they don't...but I don't think that's particularly new. You can argue whether the ruling was correct/fair in a particular case, but I won't go so far as to brand Ken as a sexist because in this case it happened to be a female contestant. I'm sure plenty of men have been in the same situation. (I said at the time that Luigi being able to change his answer when he was asked to repeat himself is at best borderline. Plus, ultimately it's up to the judges but they put all the blame on Ken. They may well have stopped to review the timing and determined Ken was correct. We really don't know, unless one of the players has commented on it somewhere.)

This comment they included in the article is just wrong: “#Jeopardy I’m not happy how #KenJennings is letting some people correct themselves and not others. And also partial answers like class instead of class action should NOT count,” a third user wrote." The clue was asking for what the group represented in that type of lawsuit is called, not what the lawsuit is called. "Class" was the correct response (though I'm sure they would have accepted "class action").

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Hi! Happy S39! I am 4/5, which will probably be the highest score I post. I went back and forth between Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast, but landed ok. 

No sexism in the ruling against the woman who got Ursula Le Guin's first name wrong. I thought she actually heard him say it was wrong and then corrected herself. As the the constable clue, it was clumsily done, but within the rules. And I can't even give notice to people who want to nitpick but get the details wrong themselves.

(Weirdly, autocorrect changed Ursula Le Guin to Ideally Or Guinea. I have no idea how those words match in that goofy computer program.)

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Week 1 - 2/5, no *.  Meh, I've done worse.

The Disney song was right in front of me but I couldn't get there.  I could picture the two teachers who did the duet in my kids' elementary school talent show.  Unfortunately I couldn't hear them, at least not in time to drag up what the song was.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Can someone remind me what the * is for please & thanks.

If FJ stumps all three players, that's worth an * if contest players get that answer. Carnegie Mellon was a TS this week and so worth one * if contest players got that answer. Asterisks are a special badge of honor here!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

We really don't know, unless one of the players has commented on it somewhere.

And it turns out they apparently did.. This comment is from someone who played in Tuesday's game.

Taping paused for several minutes at least 3 times during this episode so the judges could rule on the previous question.

1. After Luigi answered the Constable question, they reviewed to see if Ken had judged his original answer.
  2. After Winston was judged incorrect with "rescuee" and Harriet was correct with "rescue," taping paused to see if Winston's answer was acceptable. I'm assuming that had they ruled in his favor the whole sequence would have been edited to appear as if he was originally ruled correct.
  3. After the final clue, they spent a long time reviewing the tape to see if Harriet had started correcting her answer in time. They replayed the clue in slow motion several times to try and determine the exact timing of the events.
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 7

Thank you @ams1001 for doing that research.

To make everyone feel better, my score for Week 1 is ... 1! How appropriate! I should have easily gotten Monet but I read the clue on TJF, could picture Monet's water lilies in my head, but before I could say MONET, I had scrolled down and the answer was in front of me. So I couldn't give myself a win on that. Most hurtful part is, here's a photo I took of Monet's Water Lilies at the Art Institute when I was there a couple years ago. I was there for the Grant Wood/Edward Hopper exhibit but photographed all the paintings I liked, and I like Monet.

monet.jpg.ff65bdbb2b815da2c5bcea8e16fd62cb.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Love 6

Hi everybody!! So happy to have you back @saber5055 

4/5 no asterisk 

I got married in 1993 and wanted “Whole New World” to be our first dance song, and hubby said nope nope nope. Of course I got it right, he didn’t, I reminded him I wanted it as our wedding song, and he had no recollection of that whatsoever 🤦

@shapeshifter belated Happy Birthday 🥳

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Thank you @ams1001 for doing that research.

It wasn't so much research as just poking around on the reddit page. Someone posted a tweet about the whole 'controversy' asking it if really happened (because they didn't see the game) and a comment on there said there was more info on the game recap thread for that day.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I would love to play but I can never remember what I got right the previous day, much less the entire week! But have fun, everyone. And if you ever run out of food, just let me know. I always have leftovers. 😉

I have sort of a homemade spreadsheet -- I write down the TS I get, my response for FJ (in the time allotted), and keep a running tally for the week (x/5 every day).  Doing that also keeps me focused on the game.  Sometimes I get distracted by something shiny.  I don't know if that would be helpful for you, but it works for me!  🙂

• Like 3
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I would love to play but I can never remember what I got right the previous day, much less the entire week! But have fun, everyone. And if you ever run out of food, just let me know. I always have leftovers. 😉

You can always check the archive.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I’m pretty sure you can just participate at any moment, even just to share one day’s loss or victory, or an opinion of a FJ clue, or to suggest a relevant virtual food item.

Right? 

2 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Plus some kind soul usually lists the FJ! clues here as well.

Dang! Thanks for the reminder. Hey, it's been a while, give me a break!

Week 1 • Sept. 12, 2022 — ONE asterisk
1. 19th Century Novels. “This bell was named Marie…alone in the southern tower, with her sister Jacqueline, a bell of lesser size”, says this novel.
2. The British Royal Family. Prince Philip’s titles included Baron Greenwich & Duke of Edinburgh, but not Prince Consort, last used by this royal.
3. Artists. He said, “The Seine! I have painted it all my life, at all hours, in all seasons, from Paris to the sea.”
* 4. U.S. Colleges & Universities. Founded as a technical institute in 1900, its sports teams are the Tartans & its official mascot is a Scottish terrier. *
5. Disney Songs. “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” from Encanto is the first song from an animated Disney film to hit No. 1 since this duet in 1993.

Welcome @Toothbrush, long time no see. And @30 Helens, you have no excuses not to join the FJ Fun! Remember, prizes will be awarded! I'm adding you to the Player's List so you are in.

Edited by saber5055
  • Wink 1
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Hi everybody!! So happy to have you back @saber5055 

4/5 no asterisk 

I got married in 1993 and wanted “Whole New World” to be our first dance song, and hubby said nope nope nope. Of course I got it right, he didn’t, I reminded him I wanted it as our wedding song, and he had no recollection of that whatsoever 🤦

@shapeshifter belated Happy Birthday 🥳

In my experience, husbands do have a way of "forgetting" past disagreements. 😉 Or maybe I remember too many of them. 😄

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
1 minute ago, Clanstarling said:

In my experience, husbands do have a way of "forgetting" past disagreements. 😉 Or maybe I remember too many of them. 😄

I know, this made me laugh too. Plus past disagreements aren't all they forget. (No offense intended, husbands.)

• LOL 5
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

And @30 Helens, you have no excuses not to join the FJ Fun! Remember, prizes will be awarded! I'm adding you to the Player's List so you are in.

Well, PRIZES! Ok, then! LOL. Seriously, thanks for the warm welcome— how could I resist?

I got 3/5. Should have been 4, but I hate that Aladdin song and blocked it from my brain years ago.

What does the asterisk mean?

• Love 2

Week one: three of five, without the asterisk! I was on a roll, getting the first three right and then fell apart.

I was at a family reunion over the weekend, and one of my cousins made a Key Lime Mousse. Since this seems to be dessert week, I'll test the recipe, make that my contribution to the beginning of the season.

image.png.9faab53e2b2b9d342d16a3eaacdc325e.png

(Not my photo, but a picture of the results of the same recipe!)

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, j5cochran said:

Week one: three of five, without the asterisk! I was on a roll, getting the first three right and then fell apart.

I was at a family reunion over the weekend, and one of my cousins made a Key Lime Mousse. Since this seems to be dessert week, I'll test the recipe, make that my contribution to the beginning of the season.

image.png.9faab53e2b2b9d342d16a3eaacdc325e.png

(Not my photo, but a picture of the results of the same recipe!)

There needs to be a "yummy!" Button. Kind of like the head exploding one! So many yummy things in this forum!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

4/5 with no *.  Apart from Carnegie Mellon (which I came close to getting but definitely not within time limits), all this week's clues were in my very oddly shaped wheelhouse. 

So good to be back with everyone - I will offer up a seasonal but relatively light entree to go with all the wonderful desserts - a puffy corn omelet. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I don't contribute food since I don't want to poison any of the lovely people here, but I am glad to give what I always bring to dinner parties, which is my appreciative appetite.

Non-food bringers are welcome to bring ice and/or bottled beverages, alcoholic or not!

On 9/18/2022 at 10:13 AM, saber5055 said:

Dang! Thanks for the reminder. Hey, it's been a while, give me a break!

Week 1 • Sept. 12, 2022 — ONE asterisk
1. 19th Century Novels. “This bell was named Marie…alone in the southern tower, with her sister Jacqueline, a bell of lesser size”, says this novel.
2. The British Royal Family. Prince Philip’s titles included Baron Greenwich & Duke of Edinburgh, but not Prince Consort, last used by this royal.
3. Artists. He said, “The Seine! I have painted it all my life, at all hours, in all seasons, from Paris to the sea.”
* 4. U.S. Colleges & Universities. Founded as a technical institute in 1900, its sports teams are the Tartans & its official mascot is a Scottish terrier. *
5. Disney Songs. “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” from Encanto is the first song from an animated Disney film to hit No. 1 since this duet in 1993.

And a big shout-out thank you to @PBnJay for keeping us up-to-date and on track in Season 38!

Edited by zoey1996
  • Applause 3
  • Love 4

Week 1 - 4 of 5 but the one I missed was the one with the *.  Oh, well - I was pretty impressed with me!  We'll see how long it lasts...

And I love, love, love seeing Saber's dog's picture again!  and hearing from Saber, too, of course!

• Applause 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Thank you @labresq , that's nice to hear/read. Just need a report from @Bliss and get her score, then Week 1 Winner will be presented! Thanks everyone for checking in. So amazing to have 31 amazing players this season. Best season yet!

Hi Saber! So glad to see you back!

I want to play... but I'm a little behind - actually, a lot behind. I'd love to take a raincheck and start playing once I'm caught up with the game.

TMI, probably, but I had some major surgery in August and am still in recovery. Doing well, however, and had a very positive physio appointment today! (That's my excuse for being tardy here.) My prayers have been answered and I can now walk my dog again... haven't been able to for several months.

Bottom line: don't count me in the contest. I'll ask for permission to play once I'm back in the saddle, so to speak. *hugs*

• Hugs 15

Hey @Bliss, take your time and feel better, you will always be part of the contest so don't worry about that. You are on my players list until the season end. Please check in when you can, you are among friends here, and we all wish you the best. Let us know how you progress, but I know for a fact there is nothing more healing than snugs and kisses from that favorite pup.

get-well-soon-feeling-crumby-graphic.jpg.e886b0dfcd4ecc91642c1338188f0f7d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 4