Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Week 11 • Nov. 21, 2022 — NO asterisk
46. Plays. The January 12, 1864 Washington Evening Star reported on a performance of this “dashing comedy” to “a full and delighted house.”
47. Musical Theater. The pair at the center of tumult in this long-running show were originally going to be a Jewish girl & a Catholic boy.
48. Seconds in History. The Fortune, the 2nd ship to land at this harbor, disappointed those already there, carrying 35 new residents & “not so much as bisket-cake.”
49. Southern Colleges. To aid transport in poorer nations, in the 1920s grads of this college built makeshift buggies celebrated in their fight song.
50. States & The Census. The 2020 Census gave Montana a second U.S. House seat; its most populous county, this one that attracts tourists, grew 11%.

• Thanks 4

2/5 (West Side Story, Plymouth harbor). This is a 200% increase over my ToC performance, so I don’t feel so bad— although it would have been better if I hadn’t said University of Georgia instead of Georgia Tech.

This week, in honor of Saber’s birthday, I bring my favorite kind of pie— the kind that loves you back. Best of luck with the chemo.

773638CF-0861-4206-B2FB-B245CD2FE7B2.thumb.jpeg.c57420005f3898ce9a86d1710ddfe915.jpeg

• Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

2/5 (West Side Story, Plymouth harbor). This is a 200% increase over my ToC performance, so I don’t feel so bad— although it would have been better if I hadn’t said University of Georgia instead of Georgia Tech.

This week, in honor of Saber’s birthday, I bring my favorite kind of pie— the kind that loves you back. Best of luck with the chemo.

773638CF-0861-4206-B2FB-B245CD2FE7B2.thumb.jpeg.c57420005f3898ce9a86d1710ddfe915.jpeg

Awww! Snuggle pie!

• Like 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

My old favorite tummy-settling drink since the days of chemo, fresh ginger root tea for everyone:

gingeroottea.jpg

• Love 5
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My old favorite tummy-settling drink since the days of chemo, fresh ginger root tea for everyone:

gingeroottea.jpg

The closest I have is Twinings Lemon Ginger but I was cold and your post made me go make a cup.

• Applause 2
  • Love 3

4/5 - couldn't get my Turkey infused brain (day 2) to come up with Yellowstone on Friday.  Monday to Wednesday were right in my theater/history loving wheelhouse (and if you care to see the chair Lincoln was in while watching the play, come to The Henry Ford - it also has the Kennedy car).  For Thursday, I started rolling through the Southern states and schools and got to Rambling Wreck in time.

@saber5055 - Happy Belated Birthday from another Sagittarian and oodles of good healing thoughts/hugs headed to you for the battle ahead. 

As my break from leftovers this week, I got some bacon-cheddar frittatas at a local market - glad to share with the table. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 2

Week eleven: three of five. 

I'm really irked not to get Friday's FJ. My dad grew up in Montana, and I've been to visit family dozens of times over the years. I would swear that it was Flathead County - the locals there have been complaining about outsiders moving in and raising the prices on housing and food for years. I knew it wasn't Glacier County - that's where Dad grew up and it's losing population.

In honor of Saber's birthday, and in anticipation of the coming holiday season, I'll make a Bûche De Noël. The traditional recipe is chocolate cake with coffee filling and chocolate icing, to make the rolled cake look like a log. But I've got a family member with AFib, so I used peanut butter powder in place of the cocoa. It is, if I may say, fabulous!

Not mine, but this will give you an idea of what a Bûche looks like.

image.thumb.png.a1f98ad50ae6a65641f27c2e8f262aa8.png

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 5
23 minutes ago, Driad said:

Because Cris missed today's FJ, those who got it right get a C*.

Ooh, that means yesterday (Sarah plain & tall) was a C* as well, right? I’ll have to go back and check his previous games, if someone else doesn’t beat me to it. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Ooh, that means yesterday (Sarah plain & tall) was a C* as well, right?

I said "Sarah Straight & Tall." 
Is that acceptable since the clue asked for "this heroine"?
Or would it have to be just "Sarah" or "Sarah Weston" or "Sarah, Plain & Tall"?

I only knew it because I had recently been wondering how a former coworker/fellow librarian was doing; she loved that book and identified with it when she was growing up. My friend is very straight and tall, and somewhat plain, but with beautiful blue eyes. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I said "Sarah Straight & Tall." 
Is that acceptable since the clue asked for "this heroine"?
Or would it have to be just "Sarah" or "Sarah Weston" or "Sarah, Plain & Tall"?

I suspect Sarah or Sarah Weston would be acceptable, but not Sarah Straight and Tall, unless she was called that in the book. I’m guessing it’s the same as saying “Richard Milhorse Nixon”— most of the name is right, but Milhorse gets you a No and a pitying look from Ken.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I suspect Sarah or Sarah Weston would be acceptable, but not Sarah Straight and Tall, unless she was called that in the book. I’m guessing it’s the same as saying “Richard Milhorse Nixon”— most of the name is right, but Milhorse gets you a No and a pitying look from Ken.

I love that so much! Milhorse (snort!😆)

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

For sure!
But what does our Ultimate Arbiter here, @saber5055, say for purposes of scoring the FJ Contest regarding "Sarah Straight and Tall"?

Maybe I should go back to writing my FJ answers?
(I probably would have only gotten as far as "Sarah.")

I should probably ding myself anyway for not reading the clue well enough to see they wanted the character, not the title. I was just so relieved they didn't want the author.

For yesterday, I thought: "Mexico. No. Too obvious. Brazil. Brazil is bigger" but just said out loud: "Mexico. . . Brazil!" 
So I'm giving it to myself.
I have decided not to share the second guessing in my head that was not spoken.😉

• Wink 2
  • Applause 1
12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

For yesterday, I thought: "Mexico. No. Too obvious. Brazil. Brazil is bigger" but just said out loud: "Mexico. . . Brazil!" 

So I'm giving it to myself.
I have decided not to share the second guessing in my head that was not spoken.😉

The last thing you said was Brazil, so I'd give it to you too. 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

For sure!
But what does our Ultimate Arbiter here, @saber5055, say for purposes of scoring the FJ Contest regarding "Sarah Straight and Tall"?

On J! Archives, the answer is given as Sarah (Wheaton), and the book is Sarah, Plain and Tall. So, Sarah Weston is incorrect, as is Straight and Tall. Since the Wheaton is in parens, I'd think that Sarah would be sufficient, and that Sarah, Plain and Tall would also be accepted.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I was gone all day yesterday for my birthday chemo so I am behind here. Got a Pizza Hut melt, as seen on tv, afterward. Would not buy again. BUT! I DEF would buy again and again the DQ blizzard (cherry chipper) I had after that. Delicious and wonderous. I have chemo (in Darkest Iowa) again next week so DQ is my after stop then too, but this time for a XL blizzard, not a medium.

Back to the contest: I am accepting Sarah whatever whatever for that answer. Sarah was my mom's name so it's a win for this contest. Add a WIN for whomever said Sarah Anything. It's more than I came up with, having only been familiar w/the Glenn Close movie which I did not watch.

And @Clanstarling is the name of today's Very Special Birthday Player. Here is a greeting we other birds left for Clan. Those starlings are such show offs, but it's okay on birthdays to be that way. (It's okay w/me to be that way every day.) Hope your day is a HAPPY one, Clan!2010102122_clanbday.jpg.0db3bb18e88d855d3f9e775dcd166a77.jpg

• Applause 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
39 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I was gone all day yesterday for my birthday chemo so I am behind here. Got a Pizza Hut melt, as seen on tv, afterward. Would not buy again. BUT! I DEF would buy again and again the DQ blizzard (cherry chipper) I had after that. Delicious and wonderous. I have chemo (in Darkest Iowa) again next week so DQ is my after stop then too, but this time for a XL blizzard, not a medium.

Back to the contest: I am accepting Sarah whatever whatever for that answer. Sarah was my mom's name so it's a win for this contest. Add a WIN for whomever said Sarah Anything. It's more than I came up with, having only been familiar w/the Glenn Close movie which I did not watch.

And @Clanstarling is the name of today's Very Special Birthday Player. Here is a greeting we other birds left for Clan. Those starlings are such show offs, but it's okay on birthdays to be that way. (It's okay w/me to be that way every day.) Hope your day is a HAPPY one, Clan!2010102122_clanbday.jpg.0db3bb18e88d855d3f9e775dcd166a77.jpg

Love it - that is so my sense of humor!  Thank you so much @saber5055. Hoping your tasty post-chemo Blizzards are only required a few more times. 🤞But you can still have the blizzards anytime.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
46 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Thank you 💗 @saber5055💗 for the Sarah Whatever ruling for our contest!
We won't tell Ken; what he doesn't know won't hurt his sensibilities.

DQ seems perfect for post-chemo "nourishment." 
For me it was chocolate cookies or muffins from the Jewel grocery store bakery. 
Are those chocolate chips or cherry chips?
Very%20Cherry%20Chip%20Blizz%20Overheads.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Are those chocolate chips or cherry chips?

Those are chocolate flakes on top of and a little bit mixed into the very-cherry-mixed DQ ice cream. TOTALLY delicious. While I sat in my van I watched the DQ robo sign outside that promo'd its Peppermint December Blizzard. I love peppermint but man, that very cherry was so good, I'm getting it again next week, XL size this time!

Funny, but I am not a chocolate fan. Chocolate ice cream is dead last on my list, or off the list entirely if that's all there is. I'm surprised my appetite is back after not being able to eat all year and losing 80 pounds, I'm at my high-school weight again. My doctor told me back in March all that, including my 24/7 pain, was "depression." I asked her if depression showed up on the CT scan when she finally allowed me to have one, six months after cancer symptoms began, and the tumor on my pancreas was revealed. So, I'm keeping with the Jeopardy theme even w/my cancer diagnosis.

• Hugs 13
  • LOL 1
17 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Those are chocolate flakes on top of and a little bit mixed into the very-cherry-mixed DQ ice cream. TOTALLY delicious. While I sat in my van I watched the DQ robo sign outside that promo'd its Peppermint December Blizzard. I love peppermint but man, that very cherry was so good, I'm getting it again next week, XL size this time!

Funny, but I am not a chocolate fan. Chocolate ice cream is dead last on my list, or off the list entirely if that's all there is. I'm surprised my appetite is back after not being able to eat all year and losing 80 pounds, I'm at my high-school weight again. My doctor told me back in March all that, including my 24/7 pain, was "depression." I asked her if depression showed up on the CT scan when she finally allowed me to have one, six months after cancer symptoms began, and the tumor on my pancreas was revealed. So, I'm keeping with the Jeopardy theme even w/my cancer diagnosis.

Ugh. Pancreatic cancer. 
I too had a doctor ignore weight-loss. Dummies. 
The best revenge is surviving to consume DQ and watch Ken Jennings.
💗

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

3/5 + 1C*.
Bringing olives and cilantro, because I can't stand them. ("Cilantro tastes like soap" is a genetic trait.) Also cherry ice cream for Saber and the rest of us who like it.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

After a whole lot of nothing (in the five weeks prior to this one - twenty five episodes - I got only three FJs correct that entire time), I finished this week off with 2/5. Night owl and Vienna were both instagets.

I am attempting to make baguettes at the moment, so I shall bring those.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1