Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion II: Discussing Today's Episode and Current Storylines

• Start Topic

On 6/21/2024 at 12:06 AM, DaphneCat said:

So no one noticed the name of the banker yesterday was Theodore J. Mooney.  Gale Gordon AKA Mr. Mooney from the Lucy Show?  

Could not stop thinking that. Sadly, it did not make that ridiculous segment better though.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, boes said:

It looks like EOB is going for broke with her Theresa imitation.  No matter how much she puts into it, I really can't see past the wig.

Same. Could they not find an actual blonde wig for EOB or even tone the color just a bit. I have never met a natural blonde who's hair is yellow. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 4

With the shift in writing regimes, I really don't know what to make of this storyline with Chanel and her pregnancy. Was it the previous writers that introduced Felicity and the concept of Down's Syndrome? Is Ron now trying to sweep that under the rug, end the pregnancy and free Johnny and Chanel up for something else? Or was it always the plan to have them approach the subject of DS just to explore new territory within the narrative of the show?

As soon as it came up, I kind of expected that the child would end up having DS. But now I'm starting to think that they may not actually go through with it. 

Of course, it's very realistic for Chanel to have days where she thinks she's resilient enough not to care about the outcome and then other days where she's terrified of what the outcome might be. I just cant tell if her indecision is about the writing regime shifts or what.

Kate's hair looks unreasonably fantastic. Does she have extensions or a weave or something? Her hair looks so strong and nourished and healthy. It's like the hair of a 20-year-old. I can't make any sense of it. I know her husband is a hairdresser, but it's just kind of wild to watch everybody else in her peer group show normal signs of aging like hair thinning and graying while Kate's walking around with what appears to be natural thick youthful hair that is strong and can be put up in all sorts of different configurations and always look good. 

I hate that Lucas is leaving. I haven't enjoyed any of this prison storyline, but he's finally off the hook and now he has to vanish? In the olden days, they would have done a subplot with him in Arizona with Will and Allie. I would have happily watched that. 

I can't believe that Abe is literally being left with the option of dealing with the trash of Salem while Paulina gets to keep his job. Was there ever actually a vote in Salem to determine that the people wanted Paulina as Mayor? My recollection is that they simply passed the role over to her when Abe was struggling with his cognitive abilities. If I were a citizen of Salem, I would definitely want her ousted and vote someone else in. 

Days of our Leo can stop any time now. 

That pathetic confrontation in the jail house was so irritating and highlighted all of the reasons why the character just doesn't work. Even when he's sitting there doing something that probably many of us have done to someone who hurt us in the past, something difficult and sad, he's still totally unrootable.

He visited his mother once and is determined to snap her head off and walk away. Why would any sane person sit there and open themselves up emotionally to that kind of treatment? And why would we applaud him for it?

I also find it weird that Marlena would have recommended it. Doing a 1-sided rant is basically guaranteed to piss someone off and end the relationship or damage it further. I was Team Diana the entire time and I thought the actress was very compelling and not as campy as last time. Sure, she has Norma Desmond tendancies, but I liked the intensity and overall fed-upness that she portrayed.

Blissfully, the audio cut out for the last 2 minutes of their discussion. I'm not sure what I missed. I'm guessing she didn't say that his father was actually John, right? Otherwise Leo would have brought that up later. 

I cannot buy for a single second that this 25 year old handsome doctor is in any way oblivious to 50 year old Leo's slimy designs on him or would show genuine interest. It's not that Greg is unattractive. It's just that I can't picture him with any of the guys the show actually tries to make us think he can land. Handsome doctors have their pick of the dating pool. Come on.

Greg also can't cry on camera, clearly, which was painfully apparent today. 

I understood Felicity's dialogue better today. I'm kind of hopeful she does recur. From time to time it's nice to have random Salemites just existing in town, even if they aren't focal points. Something tells me, though, that they're going to use her for a plot if she's sticking around. But what?

To those who said Jack looks great with his hair like this, I agree.

I hope this isn't the end of the time capsule storyline. It being handed off to Jack and taken to Jennifer off-screen suggests that we're not going to be seeing it again for a long time, maybe until Doug's funeral. I'm a little bit disappointed there.

Plus, will the contents be what Sherri intended....or will Ron rewrite them?

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

So we had 2 Side by Side storylines of Mothers & how they 'ruined" their sons...I liked the Kate & Lucas conversation better than Leo & his Mother, that was painful to watch...the actress was echoing shades of Norma Desmond.   And can someone tell me why Jack was in town for just a day?  I was hoping Jack would stay awhile & help Chad & his mystery video. 

• Like 5

I thought the jailhouse scenes between Leo and his mother was well done by both actors. JC is one fine actress, whether playing the diva all made up or today with no makeup at all. She delivers every time. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Of course, it's very realistic for Chanel to have days where she thinks she's resilient enough not to care about the outcome and then other days where she's terrified of what the outcome might be. I just cant tell if her indecision is about the writing regime shifts or what.

I can't believe that Abe is literally being left with the option of dealing with the trash of Salem while Paulina gets to keep his job. Was there ever actually a vote in Salem to determine that the people wanted Paulina as Mayor? My recollection is that they simply passed the role over to her when Abe was struggling with his cognitive abilities. If I were a citizen of Salem, I would definitely want her ousted and vote someone else in. 

I cannot buy for a single second that this 25 year old handsome doctor is in any way oblivious to 50 year old Leo's slimy designs on him or would show genuine interest. It's not that Greg is unattractive. It's just that I can't picture him with any of the guys the show actually tries to make us think he can land. Handsome doctors have their pick of the dating pool. Come on.

I hope this isn't the end of the time capsule storyline. It being handed off to Jack and taken to Jennifer off-screen suggests that we're not going to be seeing it again for a long time, maybe until Doug's funeral. I'm a little bit disappointed there.

Plus, will the contents be what Sherri intended....or will Ron rewrite them?

I really believe that if they actually have this be a viable pregnancy that through the "power of their love" or "their faith in goodness" or some such bullshit Johnny and Chanel will have DRAMA about worrying about this child but in the end it will all be fine.  Theo's autism was about a differently abled child but it wasn't like they needed to actually hire a differently abled actor or make any kind of special concessions to said disability.  If they had a Down's Syndrome story they would have to actually deal with the actor in a sensitive manner.

Paulina actually made a good point that it would be nepotism to appoint Abe.  Of course, on this show, nepotism is a badge of honor.  I'm STILL annoyed that ANY public hospital would allow someone - i.e. Jennifer - to hire her own daughter as a direct report.  Nope, never happen in ANY real world situation.  As for Paulina being mayor, I think they made reference to some election after she was appointed by Abe.  She was running against the vice-mayor who was set up to be really unlikeable so he was guaranteed to lose.

I keep hoping that since they are OBVIOUSLY trying to redeem Leo they at least allow him to have a regular, non-innuendo laden, friendship with a heterosexual man.  

So, are they thinking the time capsule with explode or self destruct or something if they simply took it apart and looked at what was in it?  I know, too easy of a solution.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

If they had a Down's Syndrome story they would have to actually deal with the actor in a sensitive manner.

Yeah, solid point. They wouldn't get away with putting that kid through the typical (lazy and tasteless) soap plots of rape, murder and affairs once they'd grown up. And they could never kill them off without it looking bad.

Guess it's a miscarriage then.

5 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

So, are they thinking the time capsule with explode or self destruct or something if they simply took it apart and looked at what was in it?  I know, too easy of a solution.

Seriously! The build-up here is way too much. It's going to be a bunch of expired candy. Or recipes for donuts with faded writing.no one can read.

Or maybe nude polaroids of Tom and Alice in fetish gear.

You know. Dull stuff.

• LOL 10
12 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

That pathetic confrontation in the jail house was so irritating and highlighted all of the reasons why the character just doesn't work. Even when he's sitting there doing something that probably many of us have done to someone who hurt us in the past, something difficult and sad, he's still totally unrootable.

He visited his mother once and is determined to snap her head off and walk away. Why would any sane person sit there and open themselves up emotionally to that kind of treatment? And why would we applaud him for it?

It's as if we're watching two different shows. All I saw is a bitch of a mother who appears to have contempt for her (only?) son. For no apparent reason either.

I don't blame Leo for not wanting to visit that piece of work. Why should he be subjected to her ridicule? She made therapy sound as if it was for losers. But IMO SHE'S the loser. And since she doesn't want to talk about feelings, then I don't blame Leo for wanting to get things off his chest. What's her problem anyway?!?

• Like 6

So no one noticed the name of the banker yesterday was Theodore J. Mooney.  Gale Gordon AKA Mr. Mooney from the Lucy Show? 

I loved it.   

I remember Diana as played by Genie Francis as a nice character, imperfect but likable.   When did she become Norma Desmond meets Joan Crawford in Mommy Dearest?

• Like 9
3 hours ago, oceanblue said:

I loved it.   

I remember Diana as played by Genie Francis as a nice character, imperfect but likable.   When did she become Norma Desmond meets Joan Crawford in Mommy Dearest?

*Glances towards Ron*

Same time he showed up.

*Extends sympathetic looks towards Theresa, Kristen, Eve and Megan*

• Like 3
(edited)

Leo's confrontation with his mother didn't do much for me.   A couple of scenes of him stutterbarking about his lousy childhood and then the confrontation with his mother doesn't change his odious behavior and self-centered attitude.  

But the real issue for me with those Mommy/Leo scenes yesterday was the stunt casting.  Having Judith Chapman play Leo's mother, while she's played the mother of Greg Rikaart's character on the Young and the Restless for decades seemed like a 'wink, wink' moment by Ron C. more than it did drama.  I watched GR yell at and berate and condescend to his Y&R mommy played by Chapman for decades and they both played it the same as they did/do on Y&R.

Maybe I'd have seen it differently if it wasn't overlayed with pretty much the same scenes, played by the same actors, on the other show.

Edited by boes
  • Like 7
  • Mind Blown 2
1 hour ago, boes said:

Having Judith Chapman play Leo's mother, while she's played the mother of Greg Rikaart's mother on the Young and the Restless for decades seemed like a 'wink, wink' moment by Ron C. more than it did drama. 

I didnt realize that's why she was cast as his Mom.

I detest Ron's unfunny Wink Wink Moments because they never seem to end: Dr. Greene. Gwenresa. Gabi pointing out Bobby/Everett reminding her of "someone". Ava/Harris. Paulina's mother.

He just wants DOOL to be references to Reilly's era or to other shows.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

Today was fun. I loved Theresa death gripping her cup and her facial expressions as she realizes that the gig might be up if Ms Cook comes to town

• Like 9
  • Love 2

Dr Greene is a bit vacant.

The anvils are dropping pretty hard around Leo's parentage, aren't they?

Ron, please find validation elsewhere.

I hate to say this because miscarriage isn't funny in real life at all....but the way this show introduced the DS plot, then had Radioactive Paulina harm Chanel, but then it didn't, but then she wanted a baby even if it had DS, but then she didn't, but then the pregnancy was fine, but now it isn't and she's miscarried....

😅 Lordy, what a zig-zagging mess of a narrative! It sounds like everyone involved in production got cold feet. Killing a baby though just to be rid of it all is pretty cold (and abrupt).

What's going to happen to Felicity now? Will she also be swept under the rug? If so,  too bad for that actress. Can't be easy finding opportunities. But maybe Ron will repurpose her somehow.

• Like 4
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

What's going to happen to Felicity now? Will she also be swept under the rug? If so,  too bad for that actress. Can't be easy finding opportunities. But maybe Ron will repurpose her somehow.

The Greenes are the new family in Salem, so I think that we'll see Felicity from time to time.  She's a minor, though, so I can't see them giving her a contract any time soon.

• Like 5
(edited)

Great episode today. I skipped all the Xander/Sarah scenes and most of the Leo ones though. I would watch the Leo stuff maybe but my sister hates it so we don't lol. Neither of us can take the Sarah/Xander schmoopiness. I am still interested in what will come of his mother showing up though.

Great balance today of humor, everything with Gwen/Alex/Bonnie, and then genuine drama with Chanel/Johnny. I usually find RB lacking in the dramatic stuff but I thought she was kind of fantastic today. As was CB.

I like Dr. Greene but if they were gonna put him with Leo I wish he had just been openly gay or bi. I'm not really into him either being in the closet or really even him having some sort of gay awakening with Leo.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I would watch the Leo stuff maybe but my sister hates it so we don't lol

If she only hates him for being a self-pitying criminal who eats up too much screentime and rambles like crazy...tell her she's made a new friend 😃

then genuine drama with Chanel/Johnny.

They really reacted perfectly to the news. I was impressed. She's wept a bit before in other scenes, but never like that.

Do gals having abortion pains really scream as much as Chanel did when it happens? Seemed a bit OTT but I don't honestly know what that's like.

• Like 3

Great episode today. I skipped all the Xander/Sarah scenes and most of the Leo ones though. I would watch the Leo stuff maybe but my sister hates it so we don't lol. Neither of us can take the Sarah/Xander schmoopiness. I am still interested in what will come of his mother showing up though.

Great balance today of humor, everything with Gwen/Alex/Bonnie, and then genuine drama with Chanel/Johnny. I usually find RB lacking in the dramatic stuff but I thought she was kind of fantastic today. As was CB.

I like Dr. Greene but if they were gonna put him with Leo I wish he had just been openly gay or bi. I'm not really into him either being in the closet or really even him having some sort of gay awakening with Leo.

Define schmoopiness? They talked about Victor and how he died without reconnecting with him, then he called his aunt. I'm not sure what was offensive there but you do you.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Dr Greene is a bit vacant

That's how Ron likes 'em-tall, dark haired, muscles, and vacant. Nah but seriously he's starting to loosen up. He feels a bit young for the part though. I get the feeling he's supposed to be significantly older than Chanel and Johnny (re: his surprise they know a 90's show called ER) but he doesn't really look it. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

I was really surprised when Dr Greene mentioned the ER reference and how it inspired him to be a doctor today...

...cuz one of you mentioned it being stated on the show already! Like...three days ago!

So....how did ya know that days in advance hmmm???

🧐

• LOL 6

I was wondering how long it would take Paulina to leave and reenter the room. She needs boundaries.  Hopefully Chanel gets to be upset with her mother for more than a day. 

Leo and Marlena were good together. 

• Like 9

I was really surprised when Dr Greene mentioned the ER reference and how it inspired him to be a doctor today...

...cuz one of you mentioned it being stated on the show already! Like...three days ago!

🧐

I think Mark said that jokingly.

3 hours ago, Artsda said:

Hopefully Chanel gets to be upset with her mother for more than a day.

We don't know that the miscarriage was even her fault, though.  And neither does Chanel.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I hate to say this because miscarriage isn't funny in real life at all....but the way this show introduced the DS plot, then had Radioactive Paulina harm Chanel, but then it didn't, but then she wanted a baby even if it had DS, but then she didn't, but then the pregnancy was fine, but now it isn't and she's miscarried....

No, it isn't funny. Neither are mood swings. So unless you've been pregnant, you wouldn't understand. 

6 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

That's how Ron likes 'em-tall, dark haired, muscles, and vacant. Nah but seriously he's starting to loosen up. He feels a bit young for the part though.

Younger than Tripp? I'm not so sure. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, brisbydog said:

Define schmoopiness?

The kissy, gushy stuff followed by the brief Victoria talk?  That would be it.

13 hours ago, brisbydog said:

Define schmoopiness? They talked about Victor and how he died without reconnecting with him, then he called his aunt. I'm not sure what was offensive there but you do you.

All the baby talk from Sarah and the pet names and just blech. It sucks because I usually/mostly like them separately but together they make me sick lol. Thankfully though I can just fast forward anything I don't want to watch. Makes the show very enjoyable.

12 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

🧐

He literally mentioned it on his very first day, in his scenes with Chanel/Johnny. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Rodney said:

The kissy, gushy stuff followed by the brief Victoria talk?  That would be it.

Gotcha. All the stuff I love you hate :)

53 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

All the baby talk from Sarah and the pet names and just blech. It sucks because I usually/mostly like them separately but together they make me sick lol. Thankfully though I can just fast forward anything I don't want to watch. Makes the show very enjoyable.

He literally mentioned it on his very first day, in his scenes with Chanel/Johnny. 

Yeah, I skip anything Teen Scene for my sanity. I just can't with 30 year old Tate being grounded

And yes, Dr Greene absolutely did the ER reference on day 1

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm starting to really enjoy 30 year old teen Tate because it's just so absurd lol.

I like schmoopiness tbh but for whatever reason it just doesn't work for me with Xander/Sarah. I just find LG's acting so cloying when she's going all cutesy baby voice. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
50 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm starting to really enjoy 30 year old teen Tate because it's just so absurd lol.

I like schmoopiness tbh but for whatever reason it just doesn't work for me with Xander/Sarah. I just find LG's acting so cloying when she's going all cutesy baby voice. 

That is just Linsey though, she talks like that in real life. I found her kind of annoying when I came back watching in 2019, but now I like it, it makes her feel like a real person

Edited by brisbydog
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, brisbydog said:

That is just Linsey though, she talks like that in real life. I found her kind of annoying when I came back watching in 2019, but now I like it, it makes her feel like a real person

I enjoy the smoopiness too...Paul & Linsey have such great chemistry. Paul can switch from sexy & romantic to brooding bad boy and Linsey sparkles(Just how I see them...everybody has their favorite characters). 

• Like 5
  • Love 6
58 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

She did that toward the end of her run on B&B. 

10 minutes ago, brisbydog said:

Iirc, she didn't do it on B&B until after she came back post-accident. I thought it was a weird acting choice at the time. It's interesting that it's natural for her. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, SouthernChick said:

I hate that it seems like Brady still has feelings for Theresa. Can’t Brady just get a normal woman for once? 

You made me think of all of Brady's love interests and how they rate on the normal scale.

There was Madison and Arianna. I liked both of them and were his most normal. However they were both killed off go figure.

Kristen? Enough said.

Nicole/Theresa are more morally grey (although Theresa is just awful to me) but have issues.

There's Chloe I guess but she's beyond fickle when it comes to her love interests.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

How good were those Xander and Nicole scenes? History, including some much needed references to Xander's past I think most viewers have forgotten, and Xander calling her the 'OG baby swapper' and calling her on her hypocrisy, and then finally then having a very sweet and unexpected talk. Not the 'fiery confrontation' that was spoiled.

Eric moping in the pub. I am so tired of his Eeyore routine. I wish he was actually leaving town for a bit as I need a break from him.

Loved every minute of Theresa, Bonnie and Sarah. Theresa is so obvious that everybody can see something is up. I knew Ron could not resist a double wedding, but thanks to Bonnie Fiona Cook is invited and we all know what is going to go down, hopefully in front of all Theresa's family.

Brady grew a brain today! I am shocked he put together the clues and realized Theresa peeked at the will. He might be instrumental for putting that final nail in her coffin.

Hi new Gabi! Hope you get to speak tomorrow

Alex's shirt and EJ's tie offended me. And Stefan's moustache of course

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Ahhh okay. I thought maybe we had a Celeste among us...

• LOL 4
5 hours ago, brisbydog said:

Loved every minute of Theresa, Bonnie and Sarah. Theresa is so obvious that everybody can see something is up. I knew Ron could not resist a double wedding, but thanks to Bonnie Fiona Cook is invited and we all know what is going to go down, hopefully in front of all Theresa's family.

I thought it was ridiculous she was suggesting a double wedding. I wanted her to butt out. But, I understand why the show is doing it. 

Who was Bonnie referring to about someone having two disastrous double weddings? I assumed Gwen because of the *wink* *wink* feel of the scenes, but I’m drawing a blank in the details. My memory is crap. 

• Like 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, brisbydog said:

She wasn't doing it for most of today's scenes. I find she mostly only does it with Xander. She mostly doesn't in other scenes, but it sometimes pokes out. I guess perhaps she doesn't always do it with Xander either, I wouldn't know because I fast forward them most of the time lol.

Ahhh okay. I thought maybe we had a Celeste among us...

You should have known Ron would have that mentioned multiple times!

3 minutes ago, DanaMB said:

Who was Bonnie referring to about someone having two disastrous double weddings? I assumed Gwen because of the *wink* *wink* feel of the scenes, but I’m drawing a blank in the details. My memory is crap. 

I assumed Xander, too, but I couldn't even remember Gwen marrying Xander. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DanaMB said:

I thought it was ridiculous she was suggesting a double wedding. I wanted her to butt out. But, I understand why the show is doing it. 

Gwen/Xander with Leo/Craig, then Gwen/Dimitri with Gabi/Stefan

• Like 4
  • Useful 4

I guess perhaps she doesn't always do it with Xander either, I wouldn't know because I fast forward them most of the time lol.

When they're getting schmoopy, she does.  When they're talking more seriously, she doesn't usually, though it slips out from time to time.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Why the heck wouldn't Theresa take the invitation with her and throw it away somewhere else? Putting it in the trash can in the same house in the same ROOM as where you were stuffing them is idiotic.

Also, I've never mailed a letter internationally but I don't think one stamp is gonna make it to France, Bonnie.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
4 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

Why the heck wouldn't Theresa take the invitation with her and throw it away somewhere else? Putting it in the trash can in the same house in the same ROOM as where you were stuffing them is idiotic.

Also, I've never mailed a letter internationally but I don't think one stamp is gonna make it to France, Bonnie.

When I mail my Christmas cards to England I buy a book of international stamps. One stamp but it's a higher denomination.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

You should have known Ron would have that mentioned multiple times!

Haha fair!

I assumed Xander, too, but I couldn't even remember Gwen marrying Xander. 

Do you remember Justin almost marrying Kayla? Or Chanel marrying Xander?

Ron's amazing at weddings that are meaningless.

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Haha fair!

Do you remember Justin almost marrying Kayla? Or Chanel marrying Xander?

Ron's amazing at weddings that are meaningless.

I mean... the Xander Gwen failed wedding was epic 

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, brisbydog said:

When I mail my Christmas cards to England I buy a book of international stamps. One stamp but it's a higher denomination.

Aha! Then I retract my comment. I completely buy that they keep a book of international stamps in the house.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

Aha! Then I retract my comment. I completely buy that they keep a book of international stamps in the house.

They had to post one to Aunt Maisie too. 

• Like 1

I can't stand Stefan's screaming, I wish EJ would not let him get away with it. Just say ok tell Nicole.  

Good for Sarah for pointing out to Theresa that her daughter is her concern. 

Look at Brady calling out the truth in Theresa wanting the money and knowing about the letter. 

Lol at Xander calling Nicole the OG of baby stealing and karma. So true! That was awesome. 

Is Bonnie on something with this idea?  It's terrible and the not remembering Gwen's name isn't funny or cute. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2