Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion II: Discussing Today's Episode and Current Storylines

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Was it about Victor's passing?  That's the only reason I'd watch.

Yes. Various people are discussing Victor's passing: Kate and Chloe; Xander and Brady; Belle and Shawn; Maggie and Julie; Justin and Bonnie. 

The show is also acknowledging SR/Maggie Horton Kiriakis's 50 years on Days.

While looking at the past, the show is also setting up some future storylines. I won't say in case you want to see for yourself. The show ends with two cliffhangers. 

There are a lot of flashbacks, including Maggie Horton's first episode.

It's marvelous. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Thanks for the heads up!

Sorry, but never liked Bonnie; it should fucking be ADRIENNE who is comforting Justin.

Another who should be there (if not to spit on Victor's grave) is Patsy Pease (ex-Kimberly)....what has she done to piss off TPTB all these years?!

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • Like 4
38 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Was it about Victor's passing?  That's the only reason I'd watch.

Yes. The entire show

Brady and Xander really got to me. And Maggie and Julie

Guess the writers forgot that Shawn D was named after Shawn Sr because Victor had falsified docs to make Bo think he wasn't his father.  It was one of the few unselfish things he ever did 

Edited by brisbydog
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Thanks for the heads up!

Sorry, but never liked Bonnie; it should fucking be ADRIENNE who is comforting Justin.

Another who should be there (if not to spit on Victor's grave) is Patsy Pease (ex-Kimberly)....what has she done to piss off TPTB all these years?!

I heard she's had health problems. I don't think you can blame the TPTB on that one.

I also agree it should be Adrienne not Bonnie.

39 minutes ago, brisbydog said:

Yes. The entire show

Brady and Xander really got to me. And Maggie and Julie

Guess the writers forgot that Shawn D was named after Shawn Sr because Victor had falsified docs to make Bo think he wasn't his father.  It was one of the few unselfish things he ever did 

Even if Victor didn't do that Bo wouldn't have named his son after him regardless. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

That was a wonderful episode. 

Julie and Maggie in bed and the flashbacks.

Xander and Brady, Bonnie and Justin, Bonnie and Maggie, Kate and Chloe.  

Only thing was Shawn line about being named after the man who raised his father. It did make sense though that he and Ciara had different relationships with Victor because of when they were raised. Ciara was raised with Victor as her grandfather. Shawn was raised as Shawn Brady as his grandfather. 

Xander face when he saw Sarah. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

It was the best episode in a long time.

It built off of Kate grieving for Victor and worrying about Philip, and honored both Victor and Maggie, who has now been on the show 50 years. 👏👏👏👏

Perfect? Nah, but close enough.

This ShawnD just isn't an inventive enough actor to make his character's guilt spiral believable (on the first take, one assumes). And Brady hugging Xander, while nice, was still hella bizarre since this guy shot Brady in the chest and left him to die in Canada, requiring his body to operate with the assistance of Dr Taniel's heart. And also shot his beloved stepmom. On her wedding day. And nearly roasted his brother in a furnace.

I mean....you could have just told him the news and left him alone Brady, you moronic softie. But the scriptwriters pointed out how Victor pitted them against each other (again, did he?) and in so doing, justified their brief moment of connection.

Today, the writers acknowledged history and found clever ways to make the gaps in logic smaller. Good writing can retroactively make weaker story elements click. And it can bring all the satisfying emotions up to the surface.

Bonnie admitting she was awful for trying so hard to steal Mickey all those years ago and saying she never really stood a chance. Long overdue.

Chloe gradually weeping at not only the loss of Victor and Philip, but Kate's new reality without them. The humanity of that.

Maggie owning that she made Victor a better person and the wonderful flashback showing how he reawakened her spirit after losing Mickey.

Julie catching fire.

...just beautiful heartwarming moments celebrating the show's long history.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, SouthernChick said:

I’m getting tired of Shawn’s pity party. And him saying he wasn’t close to Victor because he wasn’t named after him was bizzare.

I liked Victor and John Aniston was terrific, but I always hated that Victor took the grandfather mantle as far as Ciara was concerned.

For better or worse, Shawn Brady loved Bo. He DIED so that Bo could have his O2 mask in the plane crash and live. And Bo loved him, hence he and Hope naming their firstborn after him. Shawn was Bo's father, blood or not.

I think it would have been more interesting to leave Victor with regrets, unable to be a grandfather because of circumstance and because of his life choices.

But it seemed like the show was all too happy to have Ciara be all cozy with Victor and completely disrespect Shawn Brady, Sr. to do so.

So Shawn saying that he and Vic were not close because he was named for the "man that raised his father" just seems wrong, somehow.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Bonnie admitting she was awful for trying so hard to steal Mickey all those years ago and saying she never really stood a chance. 

I thought it was sweet of Bonnie to say, albeit somewhat inaccurate.  I think Bonnie definitely stood a chance back then. Yes Mickey ultimately chose Maggie, but it wasn't so cut and dry. 

• Like 4
9 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I liked Victor and John Aniston was terrific, but I always hated that Victor took the grandfather mantle as far as Ciara was concerned.

For better or worse, Shawn Brady loved Bo. He DIED so that Bo could have his O2 mask in the plane crash and live. And Bo loved him, hence he and Hope naming their firstborn after him. Shawn was Bo's father, blood or not.

I think it would have been more interesting to leave Victor with regrets, unable to be a grandfather because of circumstance and because of his life choices.

But it seemed like the show was all too happy to have Ciara be all cozy with Victor and completely disrespect Shawn Brady, Sr. to do so.

So Shawn saying that he and Vic were not close because he was named for the "man that raised his father" just seems wrong, somehow.

If the show didn't fire Frank Parker(Shawn) I would agree this is what I would've liked to have seen happen Ciara bonding with Shawn/Caroline as her grandparents. However I see it a bit differently with Ciara/Victor. Didn't Bo have cancer and it made him realize he wanted Victor to be a part of Ciara's life in case anything happened to him? If Shawn was alive he would've asked him but he wasn't. 

However I agree with you about Shawn D that was WTF especially after i just watched the clip of him driving a car into the K mansion this morning and confronting Victor/Kate for keeping Claire's paternity a secret.  Shawn rejected Victor trying to make amends etc. 

• Like 3

Julie’s fire was really scary to me.  My cousin just had this happen to her and had to have surgery Tuesday.  
    Maggie has always been so beautiful.  I always liked her as a character but never understood how she could marry Victor that made zero sense. 
    Justin flashback to his young dimples and asking Victor to be his best man was sweet.   
    Didn’t love the Bonnie flashbacks but we can’t have everything.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, tribeca said:

Julie’s fire was really scary to me.  My cousin just had this happen to her and had to have surgery Tuesday.

😧

I am so sorry. My early joke was meant to tickle those here who hate Julie, but honestly I don't mind her and yeah, the footage was very upsetting. I've never been one for gore or trauma.

I'm sorry for what your cousin endured. I hope her surgery goes well. 🙏

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I just finished Friday's episode & want to join in on the praise for a show well done.  Congrats to Suzanne Rogers for her 50 years, she was so lovely when she was younger..I loved the Red Dance shoes.  Maggie & Julie, together on the bed, made me really weepy...2 friends reminising about their lives.  I thought the scenes with Kate & Chloe were emotional too, and Xander & Brady.  I could have done without Shawn's whining.  Those scenes with Maggie & Victor on a date & Maggie saying she felt Alive again & that Mickey would want her to be happy...my tears came out again.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I just finished Friday's episode & want to join in on the praise for a show well done.  Congrats to Suzanne Rogers for her 50 years, she was so lovely when she was younger..I loved the Red Dance shoes.  Maggie & Julie, together on the bed, made me really weepy...2 friends reminising about their lives.  I thought the scenes with Kate & Chloe were emotional too, and Xander & Brady.  I could have done without Shawn's whining.  Those scenes with Maggie & Victor on a date & Maggie saying she felt Alive again & that Mickey would want her to be happy...my tears came out again.  

I don't have to write a thing, BuckeyeLou, you did it all for me!  Excellent post.

Yesterday was a gold star episode, from start to finish.  Julie included.  Something I expect never to say again.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, tribeca said:

Maggie has always been so beautiful.  I always liked her as a character but never understood how she could marry Victor that made zero sense. 
    Justin flashback to his young dimples and asking Victor to be his best man was sweet.   
    Didn’t love the Bonnie flashbacks but we can’t have everything.  

I felt like they had no idea what to do with Victor and Maggie at that point so they just threw them together. To their credit, the actors did have chemistry even if their dynamic was exhausting at times. Victor was better suited with a scheming wife like Kate(or Vivian if she weren't such a caricature).

Although Kate is still vibrant and Victor by the end despite his one liners wasn't so maybe Maggie was more his speed at that point.

1 hour ago, tribeca said:

Shawn was whining but he isn’t wrong that his family should have informed him of his grandfathers passing.  Shawn like his daughter Are forgotten family members.  

Does Ciara know? I didn't see her referenced. 

• Like 5

Caught up the past couple of days.

Mr. Acting Mayor, you do not have a role as king of the city. You get one vote.I can’t remember all the Councillor names here. There is an election in two months? Really? Guess Salem is different in that the spouse can be mayor?

What is so wonderful about Chanel in that both Johnny and Talia want her?

Gwen, you are many things but you cannot possibly be this stupid. You BFF and your new love o bing husband spend way too much time together. Even if Dimitri had food poisoning, you can still go see the sights. Madonna doing a show on her birthday?

I liked Friday’s ep. Xander was real in telling Chloe he never measured up to make Victor like him or part of the family. He has shown a bit of growth. Even hugging Brady. Chloe and Kate were also refreshing. Shawn? You are lucky to have had two grandfathers.

I liked seeing the old footage. My gripe was Julie laying on the bed and wearing shoes. I know it is a US thing. Maggie had socks.

Xander’s face when he saw Sarah and her basketball belly!

• Like 7

I just realized after all the Maggie flashbacks that Shawn's entire storyline could be resolved by chatting with Maggie. Not only does she understand alcoholism and often talks people through recovery, but she's the one person who he might actually believe when she says "this just isn't your fault", as Victor's wife.

I hope they make time for them to interact. This is a situation custom made for Maggie to resolve!

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Southern Eric is wearing Eric's signature blue top, haha. He looks close enough to Greg that it isn't distracting...except for the accent. But not bad, Casting Department.

Beemer really isn't handling this material. It's decent dialogue. It's a juicy enough plot. 🙁 But he can't play drunk, can't play emotionally distraught...its disappointing.

Since when is Melinda extorting Sloan? I thought she wanted a friend... 🤔

That's a weird set-up to an extortion storyline. Sloan spills for no reason...has a nice moment and seemingly makes a friend...then gets blackmailed. Would have made more sense for Melinda to be scheming all the way through, right?

Weird editing with Nicole's flashback of Victor.

When EJ says what the audience is thinking - that Victor should have died in his sleep - it's a weird vibe. I'm uncomfortable 😄

Is Nicole's hair really just extensions or tracks or something? Because it looks so good long ❤

• Like 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Southern Eric is wearing Eric's signature blue top, haha. He looks close enough to Greg that it isn't distracting...except for the accent. But not bad, Casting Department.

Beemer really isn't handling this material. It's decent dialogue. It's a juicy enough plot. 🙁 But he can't play drunk, can't play emotionally distraught...its disappointing.

Since when is Melinda extorting Sloan? I thought she wanted a friend... 🤔

That's a weird set-up to an extortion storyline. Sloan spills for no reason...has a nice moment and seemingly makes a friend...then gets blackmailed. Would have made more sense for Melinda to be scheming all the way through, right?

Weird editing with Nicole's flashback of Victor.

When EJ says what the audience is thinking - that Victor should have died in his sleep - it's a weird vibe. I'm uncomfortable 😄

Is Nicole's hair really just extensions or tracks or something? Because it looks so good long ❤

I wondered about Nicole's hair too!  It suddenly went from medium/short to very long...I assume extensions?  I loved Nicole & EJ together today...they are cute & comfortable with one another.  I thought it was realistic to bring up Victor's 'bad guy side" when Nicole remembered being married to him.   I agree with Disney Boy that Brandon Beemer is not strong enough in his scenes to make his alcoholism seem believable.  I did like Xander & Sarah's scenes...Sarah was not giving Xander an inch!  I was a Xander/Sarah fan before but now I like Xander & Chloe so much...I dont know which couple to choose! :)

• Like 1
  • Love 4

So now we're ALL supposed to just forget (or possibly hand wave away) that Eric is also an alcoholic?  Sort of like how Jennifer's alcoholism came and went based on the whims of the writers.

I was really liking Melinda - of COURSE the writers have to go and ruin her now too.

I'm really over Shawn and his pity party - I agree with @DisneyBoy he doesn't have the chops to pull it off and is just getting boring.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

So now we're ALL supposed to just forget (or possibly hand wave away) that Eric is also an alcoholic?  Sort of like how Jennifer's alcoholism came and went based on the whims of the writers.

Yeah I was thinking about that too. Here's how I interpreted it...

Jen got addicted to painkillers specifically after the car crash, and Eric drank to drown his sorrows for causing it. Together, they got trashed, then he went to prison. There, obviously, he stopped and Jen did as well.

I never got the impression that Eric could never handle booze during that plot, or in the years prior or since. He just spiraled after losing the redhead and seeing Nicole end up with Dan. Once the cycle of abusive consumption was broken, he kept his distance from booze but, being in a much better place emotionally, he can now drink without issue.

I guess Jen would avoid that particular medication that was addictive but still drink socially.

Some people really can't ever control it or come back from addiction - in Salem, that's Brady, Maggie, Summer and Lucas - while others can overdo it and then still be moderate or entirely sober after - like Theresa, Eric and Jen.

But yes, that's me reading into the writing a bit deeper than what's been shown or stated.

Eric could have still commiserated with Shawn a bit, having spiraled once himself. I'm guessing Shawn is just spiralling here specifically because of the Bo/Victor stuff. I'd rather he not be made a full blown alcoholic permanently.

Edit: Wait, Jen relapsed didn't she..? I forget when or why. It was during the Melissa/Cady switch-off, right? Was it booze or pills that time?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 4
8 hours ago, rcc said:

Flashback of Victor pushing Nicole out the window was a surprise. Obviously she survived but what happened to her. Before my time watching this show.

Not gonna lie, I kind of wanted them to show the scene of Victor and Nicole making out on the cliff. I think she pushed him off or he fell. Not sure- very long time ago. 

12 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I'm not sure how Jason Gerhardt picked up the accent as he's supposed to be from New Hampshire, but it's possible he moved to the South. In any case, it's nice. Very nice.

I kind of love Melinda liking Li but also wanting to throw him under the bus to serve her own agenda. LOL 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

Yeah I was thinking about that too. Here's how I interpreted it...

Jen got addicted to painkillers specifically after the car crash, and Eric drank to drown his sorrows for causing it. Together, they got trashed, then he went to prison. There, obviously, he stopped and Jen did as well.

I never got the impression that Eric could never handle booze during that plot, or in the years prior or since. He just spiraled after losing the redhead and seeing Nicole end up with Dan. Once the cycle of abusive consumption was broken, he kept his distance from booze but, being in a much better place emotionally, he can now drink without issue.

I guess Jen would avoid that particular medication that was addictive but still drink socially.

Some people really can't ever control it or come back from addiction - in Salem, that's Brady, Maggie, Summer and Lucas - while others can overdo it and then still be moderate or entirely sober after - like Theresa, Eric and Jen.

But yes, that's me reading into the writing a bit deeper than what's been shown or stated.

Eric could have still commiserated with Shawn a bit, having spiraled once himself. I'm guessing Shawn is just spiralling here specifically because of the Bo/Victor stuff. I'd rather he not be made a full blown alcoholic permanently.

Edit: Wait, Jen relapsed didn't she..? I forget when or why. It was during the Melissa/Cady switch-off, right? Was it booze or pills that time?

Didn't she relapse after abigail's murder.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I kind of love Melinda liking Li but also wanting to throw him under the bus to serve her own agenda. LOL 

Same. I even like her being friends with Sloan but having no problems blackmailing her. She's a gray character.

• Like 5
19 hours ago, rcc said:

Flashback of Victor pushing Nicole out the window was a surprise. Obviously she survived but what happened to her. Before my time watching this show.

Maybe she landed on her head?  In her case then, nothing of importance was damaged.

• LOL 6

I was rolling my eyes at Johnny lounging around with no shirt on while talking to his Step-Mother, to be.  I like that he mentioned his Mother...maybe Sami will show up sometime soon?  Talia's storyline today was ridiculous...Kayla says she can be a Doctor at the Hospital, like its no big thing, "oh, we will work around your criminal record!" Huh?!  Then she just happens to be there when Sloan passes out & can do CPR...wow, has she 'redeemed" herself?  

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4
19 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

I was really liking Melinda - of COURSE the writers have to go and ruin her now too.

I'm really over Shawn and his pity party - I agree with @DisneyBoy he doesn't have the chops to pull it off and is just getting boring.

Jennifer wasn't addicted to alcohol but painkillers. However any substance would be bad for her.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Jennifer wasn't addicted to alcohol but painkillers. However any substance would be bad for her.

Except they flip flopped between several people saying Jennifer doesn't drink (i thought the person said that to defend her against something) and scenes where she's casually downing alcohol.  I just want them to show SOME consistency.

• Like 6

Talia did a good deed by helping Sloan. A doctor?LOL. 

Melinda, just enjoy Li and stop plotting. Tell EJ and and Nicole the truth.

Johnny and Chanel again? Nicole looks good with longer hair. She looked so young in the flashback.

Sarah, you took off and left Xander behind. Yeah, he does deserve to know it is his kid. Thought you were a mature, modern woman who does not need a man. Xander gets engaged rush style. And you do the same. Chloe said yes a bit too early.

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

Which couple is going to rush into a quickie wedding? One or both of them will do that before Xander finds out - MY SPECULATION.

Spoiler

Check out Friday’s synopsis 

• Like 1

One gets ice cream in a bag? Hope it does not melt.

I could use a $20 million inheritance installment.  How convenient that the honeymoon  has been shortened. Yeah, Leo, grieve over Victor….

Gabi, you need less conspicuous outfits tfor investigating.

I laughed at the Caligula comments from Wendy and Tripp.

Guess Ava had a setback when she saw Susan Banks behind Harris.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

So Susan Banks survived the car accident.  How much you wanna bet she either has amnesia, or thinks she is Priscilla Presley?  I don't blame Ava for reacting in horror when she saw her, I did exactly the same thing.

I liked Wendy when she first showed up but my liking of her has progressively decreased.  She's absolutely terrible with the the sexy/seductress/sultry stuff, just awful.  She's so bad she makes Tripp look good.  

It's a sad day in olde Salem towne when Ava Vitali was the most interesting character on display.

ETA - will somebody, anybody, please please PLEASE push Leo into an active volcano?  I wouldn't complain one bit if somehow Gwen and Dimitri fell in as well.

Extra ETA - Please, Show, stop having Stefan parade around without his shirt.  I'd be fine if he was only filmed dressed in two wool suits, three overcoats and a burka from now on.  And Gabi with a gag wouldn't be hard to live with, either.

Edited by boes
  • Like 1
  • LOL 9
9 hours ago, Harmony233 said:

There definitely pushing the sex stuff more now that there at peacock between Wendy and Tripp discussing her brothers wild antics in the bedroom and Dimitri getting on down on his knees on yesterdays show.

I've definitely noticed it.   I have Netflix, HBO, Starz, Showtime, etc. so I watch A LOT of shows with A LOT of sex, not to mention inappropriate language.  So, I don't think I'm a prude.  But, I really don't want to see my soaps be so explicit.  Sometimes Leo's dialogue makes me cringe.  And I'm still not over the 3-way with Allie, Alex and Chanel.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

They have not shown Susan alive hasn't that been the hallucinations.  But what is this truth Susan told her. 

Tripp needs to be slapped for blaming everyone but his murdering mother. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Harmony233 said:

There definitely pushing the sex stuff more now that there at peacock between Wendy and Tripp discussing her brothers wild antics in the bedroom and Dimitri getting on down on his knees on yesterdays show.

My cousin made a similar comment yesterday about what is now on soaps. Told her it was streaming and there is less censorship. I don’t need to see Dimitri on his knees. Things can be implied.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

I don’t need to see Dimitri on his knees. Things can be implied.

That was an implied action. It's not like we actually saw his head in his crotch. There was a similar scene not that long ago where Gwen was also implied to give Dimitri oral sex. We didn't see her down on her knees, but she was clearly going lower and lower under the sheets and out of frame. Most of us who watch are adults. There's no reason to keep things so PG. 

Two glaring moments from today's episode where I felt the writers completely dropped the ball - either because they completely forgot the show's history or because they didn't want to point out the obvious. First was Maggie and her continued rampant hypocrisy. 

Maggie: Rex is unreliable! Now, let me wax poetic about your thug ex-husband who enjoys lying to you, threatening rape, and kidnapping women in his spare time!

Sarah did counter a lot of Maggie's arguments, but it was glaring that she didn't call Maggie on insisting Rex was unreliable while trying to push her to get back with a man like Xander. 

The second glaring omission was when Xander and Chloe were discussing whether Sarah could lie to him about the baby and Xander - with a straight face said Sarah would never do that. Chloe gave him a great "bitch, please" look, but she didn't actually follow it up with the most sensical response which is that Sarah has already lied about a pregnancy. Speaking of that pregnancy lie, why didn't Maggie point that out to Sarah (instead of droning on and on about the magic of Sarah and Xander's love?) Point out that she's already had one baby lie blow up in her face.

Another moment that stood out to me - badly - was Sarah referring to Victor as the love of Maggie's life (and Maggie agreeing.) Victor's her second dead husband. There's no need to try and qualify everyone's partner as "the love of their life."

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Another moment that stood out to me - badly - was Sarah referring to Victor as the love of Maggie's life (and Maggie agreeing.) Victor's her second dead husband. There's no need to try and qualify everyone's partner as "the love of their life."

I hate this phrase with a passion.  It implies that Maggie never REALLY loved Mickey - he was basically a place holder until Victor came along.  Up until then, Maggie only THOUGHT she was in love.

The thing that bugged me most about Sarah is that she admitted she didn't really love Rex the way she should but was going to marry him anyway.  This isn't 1953 where a single woman will be shunned if she ends up having a baby without being married so she basically needs ANYBODY for a husband.  It also implies that Sarah is 100% incapable of living alone or raising a child alone - she MUST have man in her life.

• Like 4
  • Applause 7