Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Head of the Snake

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

This show is like crack and I will watch every season they put out. Having said that, I think they should end it next season by doing well at the big tournament and giving everyone a happy ending. As it stands, they basically just keep showing iterations of the same plot over and over, with new or different bad guys, rumbles, couples, alliances, remarkable recoveries, and karate contests.

This season was not as much goofy joy as earlier seasons, and that's mostly cuz they keep referencing moments that were funnier or more charming earlier. (ie., Johnny being a dork trying to learn how to use the internet was epic and hilarious; Johnny trying to be an uber driver just came off more as him being a dick yelling at passengers and eating their food --it wasn't funny or charming to me.) I just don't want to see them run it into the ground.

And I don't really want to see bumbling dad Johnny. He'll either leave the baby on the roof of the car cuz he's had one too many Coors Banquets or turn into unrealistically responsible dad Johnny.  

• Like 7
  • Love 4
On 9/13/2022 at 12:20 PM, RunningMarket said:

There was a lot of product placement this season. At one point, 3 characters were next to each other wearing very visible NIKE logos, and Chozen was watching 90 Day Fiancé (which was hilarious).

People analyze product placement too much imo. People use products. People watch actual tv shows. There is no need to keep coming up with fake stuff these days. It's not all product placement. It only sticks to me when the pimping of the product hits like a sledgehammer with the framing and dialogue.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, TVbitch said:

This show is like crack and I will watch every season they put out. Having said that, I think they should end it next season by doing well at the big tournament and giving everyone a happy ending. As it stands, they basically just keep showing iterations of the same plot over and over, with new or different bad guys, rumbles, couples, alliances, remarkable recoveries, and karate contests.

This season was not as much goofy joy as earlier seasons, and that's mostly cuz they keep referencing moments that were funnier or more charming earlier. (ie., Johnny being a dork trying to learn how to use the internet was epic and hilarious; Johnny trying to be an uber driver just came off more as him being a dick yelling at passengers and eating their food --it wasn't funny or charming to me.) I just don't want to see them run it into the ground.

And I don't really want to see bumbling dad Johnny. He'll either leave the baby on the roof of the car cuz he's had one too many Coors Banquets or turn into unrealistically responsible dad Johnny.  

This

Johnny struggling and discovering the internet was one of the top 5 most hysterical scenes I've seen in my life in either TV/movies/etc..  I had to rewind the start of that episode to rewatch a few times before I proceeded!

But yeah the whole dad thing just seemed gooey.  Then him mustering up inner strength to kick those bad guys asses by looking at a picture of the embryo.....  it just seemed aaah..  Not really on the touching side to me.  Nor was the whole night out prior to that with the gang.  

Of course though I will be glued in whoever season 6 starts 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

That ending really did feel like the end of a cheesy 80s action movie and I love it. I don't take a lot of what happens in this show too terribly literally, even the show clearly knows that all of these warring karate dojos in suburban California is ridiculous by its very nature, but they're having a lot of fun with it. This was my favorite season so far, it had so much great energy, fight scenes, and Daniel working together with so many of his former enemies was such a great time. For the first few seasons it felt like so many characters were always one step forward two steps back but while we did get some of that in the beginning, I think we saw some real lasting growth, especially from Daniel and Johnny. 

I am glad that Daniel got to be the one who took Silver down, and using the lessons that he taught him with a finishing crake kick! It felt very full circle, and it was almost as satisfying watching the Cobra Kai kids all turning on him when they saw what he really was. Not only a cheater, for all of his big talk about being the best, but not even close to as badass as Daniel. 

Chozen has been a major highlight of the season, I really hope he sticks around for the next season as well. 

"Its only a flesh wound." 

"Its a lot of flesh."

I can only wonder what the cops think about having to show up to clean up the aftermath of all of these martial arts battles involves middle aged men and teenagers. They're probably nostalgic for the days of drug busts, at least that makes sense. 

The only loose end now is Kreese escaping for prison (of course), otherwise this could be a series finale. Most of the former enemies have made up and found redemption, even losers like Stingray, Silver is going to jail, his evil Cobra Kai is over, Daniel finished off Silver with his trademark move, it seems like a perfect happy ending. But I am glad that they'll be more. 

Presumably Silver will face criminal charges for holding onto that stolen Rembrandt. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I don't take a lot of what happens in this show too terribly literally, even the show clearly knows that all of these warring karate dojos in suburban California [The Valley] is ridiculous by its very nature

FIFY 🤣 I love how 'the valley" is treated like one giant city but I was excited to hear an actual city name (Topanga). Silver is going to jail but is Kim Da-Eun going to face consequences for holding Tory hostage, forcing her to break her hand, then further assaulting her during their fight? The straight up assault with no consequences is the only thing about this show that bothers me. Other than that, this show is ridiculous and I am here for every minute of it.

• Love 2

Absolutely loved it.
This is probably my fav season of all.
Even the teens' stories were tolerable (that was always the weak part of the series for me).

I even liked Kreese's escape. But I do not wish to have him in the series anymore. I wouldn't mind though having a glimpse of his life with him finally being happy.

I don't think there can be enough credit for the writers and the showrunners for turning those (mostly) paper characters of the movies to the ones we enjoyed in the series. These writers deserve every TV Writing Award. 

I don't want this show to end. Could we at least have some occasional web futurettes  from the lives of Daniel and Johnny after the series finale?

• Like 3
  • Love 2
On 9/18/2022 at 7:26 PM, TVbitch said:

Having said that, I think they should end it next season by doing well at the big tournament and giving everyone a happy ending. As it stands, they basically just keep showing iterations of the same plot over and over, with new or different bad guys, rumbles, couples, alliances, remarkable recoveries, and karate contests.

I agree.  I was kind of bored this season and realized that, unfortunately, I don't really care about anyone.   The show has become predictable as well, which is not necessarily a bad thing but...eh.  I don't know.   It would be great to see the Miyagi/Fang dojo go to the tournament, win and then expand like Silver's vision of Cobra Kai.  Silver had some good ideas - expand with exercise equipment, etc.  Of course you need $$ to do that (which Daniel has) and Johnny needs a job.   Or get rid of the dumb Fang name and finally, really combine the two dojos (Miyagi and Kai).  

They don't have much to do with Daniel - he has a good life, so they have to break him down by having him act borderline unhinged about Silver in order to build Daniel back up.  Regardless of whether or not Silver is THAT bad, Daniel kept appearing to be a paranoid asshole (and I LIKE Daniel).  Now I know this show lives in fantasy land so that there'll be no repercussions but sometimes it's hard for me to suspend that much disbelief.   The final Daniel and Silver fight was one of the better ones for the old dudes, though.

Johnny being a dad again - it won't be funny to have Johnny be dumb, drunken and beating people up.  Poor Carmen has nothing to do but be a mom.  The show couldn't even send her to Mexico after Miguel, they send the two people who don't speak Spanish!

Oddly, to me at least, Robby is showing the most growth of the teens by not having an interest in karate and by trying to accept his dad.  Props to Miguel for forgiving and becoming friends with the guy who temporarily paralyzed him.  Again, fantasy land, but I'll take it. 

I don't actively dislike anyone (except Silver and Kreese and I'm rapidly losing sympathy for Kenny) - and Chozen quickly became a new favorite - but it's hard for me to be super invested at this point.   I knew Kreese faked his death, though dying in prison would have been great - I can't stand him - but I knew the show wouldn't let him die there for a crime he didn't commit.  He's like Palpatine in Star Wars, the villain they keep bringing back and I have zero interest in.  As always, YMMV.

I don't hate the show, but it's just kind of there for me.  I didn't zip through these eps like I did the last few seasons. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, raven said:

I agree.  I was kind of bored this season and realized that, unfortunately, I don't really care about anyone.   The show has become predictable as well, which is not necessarily a bad thing but...eh.  I don't know.   It would be great to see the Miyagi/Fang dojo go to the tournament, win and then expand like Silver's vision of Cobra Kai.  Silver had some good ideas - expand with exercise equipment, etc.  Of course you need $$ to do that (which Daniel has) and Johnny needs a job.   Or get rid of the dumb Fang name and finally, really combine the two dojos (Miyagi and Kai).  

They don't have much to do with Daniel - he has a good life, so they have to break him down by having him act borderline unhinged about Silver in order to build Daniel back up.  Regardless of whether or not Silver is THAT bad, Daniel kept appearing to be a paranoid asshole (and I LIKE Daniel).  Now I know this show lives in fantasy land so that there'll be no repercussions but sometimes it's hard for me to suspend that much disbelief.   The final Daniel and Silver fight was one of the better ones for the old dudes, though.

Johnny being a dad again - it won't be funny to have Johnny be dumb, drunken and beating people up.  Poor Carmen has nothing to do but be a mom.  The show couldn't even send her to Mexico after Miguel, they send the two people who don't speak Spanish!

Oddly, to me at least, Robby is showing the most growth of the teens by not having an interest in karate and by trying to accept his dad.  Props to Miguel for forgiving and becoming friends with the guy who temporarily paralyzed him.  Again, fantasy land, but I'll take it. 

I don't actively dislike anyone (except Silver and Kreese and I'm rapidly losing sympathy for Kenny) - and Chozen quickly became a new favorite - but it's hard for me to be super invested at this point.   I knew Kreese faked his death, though dying in prison would have been great - I can't stand him - but I knew the show wouldn't let him die there for a crime he didn't commit.  He's like Palpatine in Star Wars, the villain they keep bringing back and I have zero interest in.  As always, YMMV.

I don't hate the show, but it's just kind of there for me.  I didn't zip through these eps like I did the last few seasons. 

It’s like we share the same brain because I have many of the same thoughts about the show and this season.

2 hours ago, norcalgal said:

It’s like we share the same brain because I have many of the same thoughts about the show and this season.

And it's like reading an Aliens view of this series to me because the opinions are so foreign.

But, opinions, we all have them.

Damn was this season amazing. My favorite shows will always be more about me enjoying spending time in the world and loving the characters that live in said world.

i especially appreciated not dragging out certain plots forever. They know which ones to hold on and which to spend less time on.

I laugh. I tear up.

All this conversation about netflix having nothing to offer and strangers things/cobra kai are my favorite things I watched this year full stop.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I'm not a huge Cobra Kai fan, but I do think the show is entertaining...until this season.  It was just so ridiculous!  First, with Miguel looking for his dad who happens to have a very common Mexican name.  Yet he's in Mexico for 5 minutes and the second Hector Salazar he meets happens to be his father?!  Come on!  If his dad's name was John Smith who lived in America, I wonder how fast Miguel would be able to track him down?  Regardless of Miguel finding his dad so quickly, the storyline was pointless and a total time waster. 

Robby basically forgetting that Johnny has been a crappy dad to him for the last 18 years and becoming BFFs with Miguel because Johnny and Carmen are having a baby was disappointing.  

Once again, no police are ever called and with the exception of Daniel/Amanda and Johnny/Carmen, no other parents are ever around.  A bunch of kids break into the dojo in the middle of the night and start fighting, but not one parent notices their kid isn't at home?

Sensei Kim was so over the top!  I'm surprised she didn't have a moustache she could twirl along with an evil laugh.  

Kreese faking his own death.  Major eye roll!  The therapist never realized her badge was missing?  And all Kreese has to do is put on the Doctor's coat and no one recognizes him walking right out the front door?  Lame!

Why doesn't anyone think it's creepy that Stingray, who is in his mid 30's, wants to be part of an under 18 karate class?

If Daniel, Johnny and Miyagi-Do wanted to bring Silver down, I think it would have been a lot easier to just post a bunch of 1 star reviews of Cobra Kai on yelp..  😂

Chozen was the highlight of the season.  I'm glad he survived his "flesh wound."  He, Johnny and Daniel are the only characters who are likeable at this point, IMO.

• Like 1

Now it is clear that Kim Sun-Yung was not Terry Silver's only mentor.  When I saw his goons emerge from behind the fireplace, I knew immediately that he had also trained under the Joker and Penguin.  

Screen-Shot-2022-03-02-at-7.44.10-PM-580

Edited by millennium
  • LOL 4

On a more serious note, while I'm glad the subject of "penis-breath" became a plot point in this episode, it wasn't handled in the way I had hoped.

It's reprehensible for the show to use "penis-breath" as an epithet directed at a teenage boy, or any male.  Five seasons of it now.   "Penis-breath" is a bullying term which implies that the victim has been engaging in same-sex activity and deserves to be shamed.   It's text-book homophobia.   They may as well call him the F-word.

This show is rated TV-14, which suggests a large portion of its target audience is young teens and probably kids even younger.   Seeing the characters call Mitch "penis breath" for five seasons without any kind of repercussions sends the message to impressionable teens that insulting kids by implying they're gay is funny and perfectly acceptable.    Even the character himself seems to condone it.  Up until this episode, he's gone five full seasons being called "penis-breath" without any real objection.  Even the adults are silent on it.  Johnny Lawrence has heard Mitch called "penis-breath" and not said a word (he may even have called Mitch "penis-breath" himself, although I'm not 100% sure).     Probably by no coincidence, the character being bullied by this epithet is a heavier-set boy compared to the others, so intentionally or not the show is also telling the world it's cool to bully fat kids.

Why in five seasons hasn't there been an LGBT character on this show?  Do gay kids not like karate?   Are there no gay or binary/transgender kids in Encino?   Then again, maybe there are such kids among the characters but they're afraid to come out to their friends for fear of being labeled "penis-breath" or something equally cruel. 

Edited by millennium
  • Useful 1
46 minutes ago, millennium said:

Johnny Lawrence has heard Mitch called "penis-breath" and not said a word (he may even have called Mitch "penis-breath" himself, although I'm not 100% sure).

I'm pretty sure Johnny came up with the nickname back in season 1 when he gave all the new Cobra Kai kids nicknames.

47 minutes ago, millennium said:

Why in five seasons hasn't there been an LGBT character on this show?

Moon is bi. Although I think that was only mentioned in the one episode where she had a girlfriend.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
11 hours ago, millennium said:

On a more serious note, while I'm glad the subject of "penis-breath" became a plot point in this episode, it wasn't handled in the way I had hoped.

It's reprehensible for the show to use "penis-breath" as an epithet directed at a teenage boy, or any male.  Five seasons of it now.   "Penis-breath" is a bullying term which implies that the victim has been engaging in same-sex activity and deserves to be shamed.   It's text-book homophobia.   They may as well call him the F-word.

This show is rated TV-14, which suggests a large portion of its target audience is young teens and probably kids even younger.   Seeing the characters call Mitch "penis breath" for five seasons without any kind of repercussions sends the message to impressionable teens that insulting kids by implying they're gay is funny and perfectly acceptable.    Even the character himself seems to condone it.  Up until this episode, he's gone five full seasons being called "penis-breath" without any real objection.  Even the adults are silent on it.  Johnny Lawrence has heard Mitch called "penis-breath" and not said a word (he may even have called Mitch "penis-breath" himself, although I'm not 100% sure).     Probably by no coincidence, the character being bullied by this epithet is a heavier-set boy compared to the others, so intentionally or not the show is also telling the world it's cool to bully fat kids.

Why in five seasons hasn't there been an LGBT character on this show?  Do gay kids not like karate?   Are there no gay or binary/transgender kids in Encino?   Then again, maybe there are such kids among the characters but they're afraid to come out to their friends for fear of being labeled "penis-breath" or something equally cruel. 

I hear ya.

But as a teen in the late 90's/early 2000s kids could just be assholes to each other.  Or at least the ones I grew up around.  I had very few friends that age.  I'm not sure how it is today but in that sense the show felt realistic.  It was rare in my case for teachers to stand up for kids getting teased.  

Well Johnny is a character stuck in the 80s and is old school.  I'll admit in some ways that's part of the appeal how out of touch he is with modern society.  

That is strange though the show is rated just TV-14.  I mean Hawk said the 5 letter p word like a lot in the first few seasons.  Then the LaPusso comments as well.   Other penis jokes as well.  I mean in the movies the worst it ever got language wise was Mike Barnes in the 3rd movie.  He called Daniel Shithead once and said his karate was shit.  

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

But as a teen in the late 90's/early 2000s kids could just be assholes to each other.  Or at least the ones I grew up around.  I had very few friends that age.  I'm not sure how it is today but in that sense the show felt realistic.  It was rare in my case for teachers to stand up for kids getting teased.  

Well Johnny is a character stuck in the 80s and is old school.  I'll admit in some ways that's part of the appeal how out of touch he is with modern society.  

The thing is, this show isn't set in the nineties or early 2000's.   It's today, and the show is telling kids today that it's permissible to taunt other kids using homophobic slurs.   The almost complete lack of LGBT characters also makes me think that the homophobia starts at the top with this show.

If Cobra Kai were guilty of just one of my two complaints I probably wouldn't say anything.    I don't believe shows should be strong-armed into progressive casting or that cultural agendas should drive scripts/storylines.   But here I see a show regularly using a homophobic slur -- one that even the "good" kids of the show don't object to -- paired with a conspicuous absence of LGBT characters.   It kinda makes me go "hmmm."

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, millennium said:

The thing is, this show isn't set in the nineties or early 2000's.   It's today, and the show is telling kids today that it's permissible to taunt other kids using homophobic slurs.   The almost complete lack of LGBT characters also makes me think that the homophobia starts at the top with this show.

If Cobra Kai were guilty of just one of my two complaints I probably wouldn't say anything.    I don't believe shows should be strong-armed into progressive casting or that cultural agendas should drive scripts/storylines.   But here I see a show regularly using a homophobic slur -- one that even the "good" kids of the show don't object to -- paired with a conspicuous absence of LGBT characters.   It kinda makes me go "hmmm."

I looked it up LGBTQ characters in Cobra Kai and she came up as well

https://thekaratekid.fandom.com/wiki/Piper_Elswith

Again I hear where you're coming from but to me imo the penis breath nickname was more just kids being assholes versus someone attacking somebody's sexuality.  I'll just leave it here with ya ☮️

3 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

But as a teen in the late 90's/early 2000s kids could just be assholes to each other.

Also the entirety of the 80s, which is more of the foundational premise of the show. Not an excuse, but it's a show about unrepentant bullies. 

6 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Also the entirety of the 80s, which is more of the foundational premise of the show. Not an excuse, but it's a show about unrepentant bullies. 

Even one who is kind of repentant but still very much stuck in his ways. It would absolutely be Johnny's style to casually throw around gay insults, even today. It would be weirdly out of character for that guy with that mindset not to be using that type of insult, the same way it would be weird for him not to call guys girls as an insult.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Miyagi-do kids -- the show's white hats -- are calling Mitch "penis breath."  Not all of them, but even those who refrain are guilty by association because they stand by in silence and watch it happen. 

IMO, it's indefensible.

• Love 1
On 9/27/2022 at 7:27 AM, millennium said:

It's reprehensible for the show to use "penis-breath" as an epithet directed at a teenage boy, or any male.   

I just cringe every time it's used on the show.  At best it's a stupid, cringy insult, and at worst it's all the things you have mentioned.  They just need to get rid of it.

On another note, I really wanted to like this season and I did love that it focused more on the adults than I think any other season has.  I'm really not interested in the teeny bopper soap opera stuff and love that in this season we saw less of that.  But what had been the show's strength, which was fleshing out past one-dimensional characters like Johnny and even Kreese, was thrown out the window with Silver.  Instead we get this cartoony one-dimensional super villain and his henchmen/henchwoman.  It was so hard to get through all the over the top Silver/Dr. Evil scenes.

And the biggest problem for me was the show never giving him any good motivation for his plan to take over the world through kid karate.  They may have hinted at it when they ran into him in the hospital and with his lines about seizing the day in that he may have some sort of terminal illness, but it wasn't made apparent enough to give him any real depth.  Maybe they can correct this next season. 

Also, more badass Chozen, please and thank you.  

• LOL 1
12 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Even one who is kind of repentant but still very much stuck in his ways. It would absolutely be Johnny's style to casually throw around gay insults, even today. It would be weirdly out of character for that guy with that mindset not to be using that type of insult, the same way it would be weird for him not to call guys girls as an insult.

That's basically what I was getting at. I think what might not be entirely clear is that we're watching essentially an 80s movie set in 2022, or whatever year the show-present is. I mean, they did the huge Top Gun fantasy. Even though it doesn't look like a period show because they have cell phones and the internet. 

I'm not reading this as you justifying, but illustrating context. 

3 hours ago, CrowTRobot said:

just cringe every time it's used on the show.  At best it's a stupid, cringy insult, and at worst it's all the things you have mentioned.  They just need to get rid of it.

Are there preferably insults that someone like Johnny would use that would be in character? 

And even if it is the other kids using it, I am pretty sure they picked that up from him, since with his personality he would be a huge influence on his students. 

On 9/20/2022 at 11:47 AM, tennisgurl said:

That ending really did feel like the end of a cheesy 80s action movie and I love it. I don't take a lot of what happens in this show too terribly literally, even the show clearly knows that all of these warring karate dojos in suburban California is ridiculous by its very nature, but they're having a lot of fun with it. This was my favorite season so far, it had so much great energy, fight scenes, and Daniel working together with so many of his former enemies was such a great time. For the first few seasons it felt like so many characters were always one step forward two steps back but while we did get some of that in the beginning, I think we saw some real lasting growth, especially from Daniel and Johnny. 

I loved this season too!  I just love how they embrace the earlier movies and give characters other than Daniel these wonderful little story arcs.  As others mentioned Chosen was the MVP of the season. I was really worried that they would kill him off and was relieved to see him survive.  I still think the show has a few more seasons potentially if they want to go there and I'll be here enjoying every minute of it.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I admit I forgot what episode this particular scene was from

But what exactly was Terry doing at the hospital himself?  There's many theories online he was dying thought this season 

^That was episode 9. I've seen those "terminal illness" theories and think that they're a bit far-fetched, but... who knows. I didn't dwell much about why Silver was there while watching and just chalked up his presence to being a Villain who magically knows where all of his enemies are at any given moment. (But maybe I'm not giving the writers enough credit?)

Poor Mitch with his terrible nicknames (even though I don't really care that much about Mitch). Besides the one already covered in this thread, he was also called "A**face" at one point.

Otherwise, as for episode 10 -- it wasn't my favorite of the season (nor was this season my favorite of the series) but it entertained me. And that's good enough for me (I'm not really expecting Shakespearean drama with 'Cobra Kai'). Johnny and Terry Silver weren't as compelling as in previous seasons, but were still my favorites to watch. I also wouldn't have minded seeing more of Mike Barnes. And Daniel and Chozen had their moments.

The kids = meh. They're fine, but I watch for the characters closer to my age. 😅

My biggest complaints would be Kreese's ending (his story was okay and even sort of interesting until then, but... come on) and Kim Da-Eun, who was just WAY too over-the-top and cartoon-ish. A couple of times, in her scenes with Silver, she literally reminded me of a cartoon character: Sour Grapes from classic 'Strawberry Shortcake'. Although I think that's just because she was an evil villain lady whose partner in crime happened to be a tall guy with white(ish) hair.

Edited by kickedinthehead
  • Like 3

Johnny going drunken master and then seeing the ultrasound pic on the floor and rising up to kick ass was my favorite part of the episode.

Daniel finishing off Silver was the second best badass moment.

Chozen defeating Silver before he got back-stabbed gets honorable mention.

The irony for Kreese is that he would have been released after the truth came out about the frame job, but now he is a fugitive.

Chozen drinks!  And what does he order, sake?  No...Long Island Iced Tea!

Stingray had the best line with, "Get in if you want to live," harharhar!

This started out as a disjointed season with them splitting the plot between what was going on in the valley and Johnny and Robbie running down to Mexico after Miguel.  The whole side story about Miguel's drug cartel dad went nowhere and had nothing to do with the season plot.  It also remained unresolved since Miguel simply returned home with Johnny and Robbie.  Maybe it was just a setup for next season and they will bring Scarface back.  But from episode 5 on, the show really focused in and the whole Terry Silver plot was fun.

I'm not really sold on Kenny's change of heart at all.  He has been a total dick for two seasons despite getting numerous opportunities to see the error of his ways.  He needs to do some restitution before he gets a redemption arc.

Looks like Kumiko will be coming back in season 6 so Chozen can have his happily ever after.

Kudos to Terry Silver, an entertaining villain all season.

Great finale.

Edited by Dobian
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
On 9/10/2022 at 7:19 AM, norcalgal said:

Ok, so it wasn’t just me who thought the season finale had the feeling of a series finale.  Does anyone know if there is another season for sure?

It didn't feel like a series finale to me.  Besides Kreese on the loose, they did a setup for Chozen reuniting with Kumiko and declaring his love for her.  Strong viewer numbers help too. (Number one when it debuted)

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Dobian said:

It didn't feel like a series finale to me.  Besides Kreese on the loose, they did a setup for Chozen reuniting with Kumiko and declaring his love for her.  Strong viewer numbers help too. (Number one when it debuted)

Ending with Daniel hitting a crane kick was the we can end here if not renewed moment 

• Useful 1
58 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

That's basically a death warrant on tv. I don't think this show would go in that direction though. 

I'm glad they didn't but, a lot of shows think it's edgy to kill off characters and, it's usually my favorites 😬

On 10/9/2022 at 8:04 AM, Dobian said:

They can also go back to the motion picture well one more time: Hillary Swank and Michael Ironside are both still alive, and Swank has expressed interest in coming back. Maybe fugitive Kreese hooks up with Paul Dugan from NKK and Daniel-san reaches out to Julie Pierce for help?

• Like 3

This very well might have been mentioned before (although I don't recall seeing it here or on other forums) but - I was rewatching this episode, and noticed toward the very end when Johnny and Daniel are talking that Amanda and Carmen are behind them...and Carmen realllly looks like she's showing off a ring to Amanda. This is the best screenshot that I could get of it, but there's a least one more very quick (but even more obvious) view of this in the episode. I'm surprised that there wasn't an actual scene of him proposing (maybe a deleted one), but I'm assuming that this means that Johnny proposed to Carmen? Is this common knowledge, or did anyone else catch it?

Screenshot 2022-10-20 5.44.04 PM.png

• Useful 2
5 minutes ago, kickedinthehead said:

This very well might have been mentioned before (although I don't recall seeing it here or on other forums) but - I was rewatching this episode, and noticed toward the very end when Johnny and Daniel are talking that Amanda and Carmen are behind them...and Carmen realllly looks like she's showing off a ring to Amanda. This is the best screenshot that I could get of it, but there's a least one more very quick (but even more obvious) view of this in the episode. I'm surprised that there wasn't an actual scene of him proposing (maybe a deleted one), but I'm assuming that this means that Johnny proposed to Carmen? Is this common knowledge, or did anyone else catch it?

Screenshot 2022-10-20 5.44.04 PM.png

I don’t recall anyone mentioning this, and you’ve got a great eye!  

• Love 2

I really expected a "Terry Silver has a terminal disease" ending as well, especially after he ran into Carmen and Johnny at the doctor. Was surprised there wasn't one, but maybe that's what next season is for.

I was googling the name Eun and in Korean can mean "silver" lol.

And no one and nothing can ever, ever beat General Hospital for ridiculous product placement in an episode. EVER.

Edited by threebluestars
On 9/9/2022 at 11:58 PM, norcalgal said:

From the word Go I always thought the “fight” that Kreese broke up was sus. And then when Kreese was stabbed, that’s when I knew for sure it was a ploy to make a jailbreak. Buuuuut, I seriously have to give the stink eye to the prison therapist who apparently didn’t notice her missing badge!??!  Really?  We clearly saw in one episode that she had to use her badge to exit, so after the session where Kreese stole her badge, how did she leave?  Or was she having a prison sleepover?  🙄  🤨

I was totally fooled--bummed that Kreese was dead but then kind of in awe at his Hannibal-esque escape. But dude! You were just about to be vindicated!

On 9/10/2022 at 3:48 PM, Neiman said:

It figures the protect the egg strategy would be needed in the end.

I LOVED the callback to the egg strategy!

On 9/13/2022 at 9:55 AM, marinw said:

It also strains my disbelief that all the CK kids would turn on Silver. They have all drunk a lot of the CK Kool Aid, and a few would find ways to justify Silver's actions.

Having shitty Kyler, of all people, performatively reject Cobra Kai defies belief. Please don't redeem him, show.

On 9/27/2022 at 7:27 AM, millennium said:

None of this had occurred to me and it should've. I count myself as a bonafide gay ally. Thanks for pointing this out to me. Yes, it's believable Johnny would've said this unknowingly but someone should've called him on it. 

• Like 1