Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Survivors

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

I didn't think Tory's announcement would lead to her and Sam fighting (I know, what was I thinking), but I noticed Tory only blocked and dodged, which I appreciated. I'm glad Sam came to talk to her at the end. 

I knew Silver wasn't talking about the baby. But still weird he stalked him to a doctor's office.

Aw, Bert and Stingray friendship. It's creepy but it's real. Stingray telling his story was a nice moment for the actor. I can understand him not coming forward. I mean, Silver beat him half to death when they were working together, what's he gonna do if he betrays him. 

"I shouldn't have just left. I should've taken you all with me." I'm glad Tory didn't respond with "no mercy." 

I love that Louie wants to make things up to Johnny. I like the backstory on Chozen and Kumiko. Daniel's right to say that he can't keep punishing himself for his actions 35 years ago, but I do not think she should date a guy who put a knife to her throat, just saying. It's great seeing the adults out and having fun. The senseis jamming to "Eye of the Tiger" was beautiful. I was sitting there wondering why they'd cut back to Louie and Anoush, and realized just a second before the driver showed up. Good thing Carmen and Amanda weren't in the limo. 

Edited to add: I just noticed Johnny smacks Daniel twice on "rising up to the challenge of our rival." Hee!

Edited by bettername2come
  • Like 4

Everyone bonding and going out dancing was fun to see. Johnny finally letting go of his past and bonding with Chozen was also lovely. I am going to miss this show and all the fun relationships between the characters.

Poor Tory. I’m glad that Sam went to talk to her at the end and understands where she is coming from.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

I kept waiting for them to use their cell phones to call for help, but I guess they were too wasted to react quickly.

Nice to see the younger ones getting along--it's about time.  

I wonder if the actress playing Mrs. LaRusso is disappointed with the lack of character development this season.  She looks great, but seems like it would be a letdown for her to be reduced to eye candy.

• Love 2

I think she had some pretty good character development this season by leaving Daniel when he was wrapped up with Silver antics, and then bonding with her cousin. I did miss her trying to help Tory as she’s done in the past, but I’m glad that Sam saw that Tory’s life is pretty shitty and there is a reason why she’s so angry all the time. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, twoods said:

I think she had some pretty good character development this season by leaving Daniel when he was wrapped up with Silver antics, and then bonding with her cousin. I did miss her trying to help Tory as she’s done in the past, but I’m glad that Sam saw that Tory’s life is pretty shitty and there is a reason why she’s so angry all the time. 

I see your point, but to me, that’s just who she’s been…getting fed up with his karate obsession, then reuniting and standing by her man. Very predictable. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Neiman said:

I see your point, but to me, that’s just who she’s been…getting fed up with his karate obsession, then reuniting and standing by her man. Very predictable. 

But she had the most memorable introduction as the “karate adjacent” one, followed by the awkward curtsy.  Moments like this make me think the show belongs with the other comedies….

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 9/9/2022 at 9:06 PM, twoods said:

Poor Tory. I’m glad that Sam went to talk to her at the end and understands where she is coming from.

I was glad too. Because even though Sam has every right to fear and dislike Tory...I can't help to think "Really, Sam? It's all Torys fault? How about the time you accused her of robbing in her workplace? Or when you kissed her boyfriend?' Of course, it's not equivalent to Torys actions but still annoys me. It's the same trait that Daniel had that irritated me in the first and second season (which was also partly because Sam coudn't own up to her mistakes), 

Good for Miguel for calling her out on being pissed about him kissing someone. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Tory was easily the best thing about this episode.  When Silver made Daniel get all bloodied up on that lift I just didn't have as much sympathy for him as Tory this episode.  It'd kind of be dumb in a way if her and Sam fall in love but perhaps they can learn to co-exist.  

Call me grumpy but I wasn't feeling the whole Daniel/Louie/Johnny/Chozen/Carmen/Mrs LaRusso scenes at the bar and limo.  And if that's Silver driving the limo how was he aware of their plans? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, braziliangirl said:

I was glad too. Because even though Sam has every right to fear and dislike Tory...I can't help to think "Really, Sam? It's all Torys fault? How about the time you accused her of robbing in her workplace? Or when you kissed her boyfriend?' 

There was a brilliant scene in I think the 3rd season?  I can't recall anymore.

Anyway Tory was going on about everything she disliked about Sam.  She gets everything she wants. yada...  Then in the next scene we see Sam driving in a Mercedes convertible.  I mean seriously how many teenagers are able to afford a car like that?  Whether intentional or not that was very good writing there.  

Perhaps its established one girl is any better than the other 

• Like 1
On 9/10/2022 at 6:52 AM, NeenerNeener said:

"Sensei Targaryen". LOL!

I wouldn't have caught that if I didn't have captions on. I said 'who is Tar...ooooohhh'. It was the right character to say it too. He said it so casually and no one blinked, I'm thinking they've been calling him that for a while, which is even better. 

On 9/10/2022 at 2:06 PM, twoods said:

I did miss her trying to help Tory as she’s done in the past, but I’m glad that Sam saw that Tory’s life is pretty shitty and there is a reason why she’s so angry all the time.

Maybe Sam will tell Amanda about what's going on so they can help. 

I mean, I know this show, and I get Sam flipping out, but you'd think she would call Daniel immediately about the ref being bought off. Did Tory say anything about the ref in the last episode too? That did affect Sam as well even though she won legit. 

On 9/11/2022 at 10:03 AM, braziliangirl said:

Good for Miguel for calling her out on being pissed about him kissing someone. 

He's much more calm now after having it out with Robby. "I'm, just trying to understand what's going on." When he was in Mexico, he got snippy on the phone a little quick. I also liked how him and Robby we're "You know about this?" "No, I don't know." After Sam was going at Tory in the beginning. 

Who takes down the cartoon lady villain? She's clearly a boss fight, but she's also genuinely good. It's going to take two, so it has to be Tory & Sam, no? 

See, I'm enough of a heel that if they told me I couldn't leave until I broke the rock, I'd just sit there. Ok, fine; then we're here all night. 

• Love 4
On 9/9/2022 at 3:15 PM, bettername2come said:

I didn't think Tory's announcement would lead to her and Sam fighting (I know, what was I thinking), but I noticed Tory only blocked and dodged, which I appreciated. I'm glad Sam came to talk to her at the end. 

Aw, Bert and Stingray friendship. It's creepy but it's real. Stingray telling his story was a nice moment for the actor. I can understand him not coming forward. I mean, Silver beat him half to death when they were working together, what's he gonna do if he betrays him. 

"I shouldn't have just left. I should've taken you all with me." I'm glad Tory didn't respond with "no mercy." 

Stingray fears not only Silver's revenge but also serious legal implications. Lying under oath is perjury and a felony.

Yes, ai also loved it that Tory didn't chime in! She's getting more interesting every episode.

On 9/10/2022 at 3:41 AM, Cthulhudrew said:

First time I ever felt anything for the Stingray character. Well done.

What a great scene. So well done--I loved his telling the tale at a distance, using the D&D figures. 

On 9/12/2022 at 9:54 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

See, I'm enough of a heel that if they told me I couldn't leave until I broke the rock, I'd just sit there. Ok, fine; then we're here all night. 

That is a crime! Not allowing her to leave is considered kidnapping! (As is locking the senseis into the limo.)