Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Taikai

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

"Amanda LaRusso, karate adjacent," Hee. Also, love her giggling at Johnny threatening to shove the ponytail straight up Silver's ass. 

I love that Robby is comfortable enough with Miguel and his dad to start teasing them. The dojo montage was nice, especially Johnny trying to tell the tale of the founding of Miyagi-do (you know Johnny loves that "strong wind, strong sake" story), and him and the German guy bonding over Rocky. It was also nice to see that Robby and Miguel agreed Hawk should fight. Not surprising that the ref was on Cobra Kai's side, though ridiculous in the girls' fight. 

Aw, we got a a Robby/Miguel hug and a Robby/Hawk hug!

Hmm, I'd actually forgotten the octopus necklace until Sam found it. I was kind of hoping she'd be wearing it when she showed up to the party, but I didn't see it. 

Edited by bettername2come
  • Like 1
  • Love 7

How does "shove that ponytail up your @ss" translate into Japanese?

Just to add, I am wondering about the escalation. "All-Valley" to "Global" tournament. What will that leave for future seasons? Extraterrestrial contact for the "All Galaxy" tournament?

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, Cthulhudrew said:

What will that leave for future seasons? Extraterrestrial contact for the "All Galaxy" tournament?

Well Miguel, Sam, Robby, Tory, Demetri, and Eli/Hawk are the perfect casting for a Power Ranger team.  And Power Rangers is Netflix now.  I'm just saying, Power Rangers and Cobra Kai crossover.

• LOL 4
3 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

Well Miguel, Sam, Robby, Tory, Demetri, and Eli/Hawk are the perfect casting for a Power Ranger team.  And Power Rangers is Netflix now.  I'm just saying, Power Rangers and Cobra Kai crossover.

Cobra Rangers FTW!!!

• LOL 3

Omg, I still enjoy this show, but I wish they would tone down the absurdity a bit. 

Cobra Kai's taking over the world!🙄

Kenny is just finished the 8th grade(so 14?) and has been taking karate for about 6 months...🙄

Most of these kids have been learning Karate for about a year, maybe two for Miguel and Eli, Sam is the only one w/ more time then that, end they are being considered for some world championship level competition.🙄

I know, suspension of disbelief required, but the show just works a lot better when they keep the stakes a little smaller, more local, more personal. It already requires enough of that suspension to accept that these two dojo's(3 w/ Eagle Fang)composed ENTIRELY of beginners completely dominates a local tournament, but I'm sure now we're gonna end up seeing a few of them facing off against each other(and winning) for some kind of world title. 

Edited by moonshine71
  • Love 9
43 minutes ago, moonshine71 said:

Omg, I still enjoy this show, but I wish they would tone down the absurdity a bit. 

Kenny is just finished the 8th grade(so 14?) and has been taking karate for about 6 months...🙄

Most of these kids have been learning Karate for about a year, maybe two for Miguel and Eli, Amanda is the only one w/ more time then that, end they are being considered for some world championship level competition.🙄

I know, suspension of disbelief required, but the show just works a lot better when they keep the stakes a little smaller, more local, more personal. It already requires enough of that suspension to accept that these two dojo's(3 w/ Eagle Fang)composed ENTIRELY of beginners completely dominates a local tournament, but I'm sure now we're gonna end up seeing a few of them facing off against each other(and winning) for some kind of world title. 

Part of me actually loves how Silver seems to be taking Kenny under his wing like that...

But yeah irl that would take years and years for him to develop like that 

On 9/9/2022 at 12:07 PM, bettername2come said:

I love that Robby is comfortable enough with Miguel and his dad to start teasing them.

He sidled up to them with his Robby pissed off face too with the furrowed brow and opened with the 'So, what this is...?' when he usually is going to chew someone out. Great work for only a half a second to sell the joke, but he nailed it. 

I did like the editing between the two dojos when they were showing off to the tournament board. And the Rocky reference coming out of nowhere. The chairman just flatly stating how it reunited his fractured country was perfect line reading. 

I know the plot dicated Hawk was supposed to lose, but it was a stretch. I get that they underestimated Kenny; ok that costs you a point, and getting the wind knocked out of you isn't nothing, but it takes 15 seconds to recover. It's in no way the debilitating injury it was made out to be. Granted, the ref was in Silver's pocket, but still. It used to happen to me all the time in soccer. You just have to fold yourself over and heave a few times. 

Also, wouldn't Daniel insist on being in on the decision to pick the ref? Again, plot, but still.

I did like that Tory was smart enough to figure out the ref was bought off, but the way the guy was looking at Silver the entire time, I don't know how the entire place didn't catch it. 

Chozen was great too; "this ref is a moron, forget him and just go win." 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I know the plot dictated Hawk was supposed to lose, but it was a stretch. I get that they underestimated Kenny; ok that costs you a point, and getting the wind knocked out of you isn't nothing, but it takes 15 seconds to recover. It's in no way the debilitating injury it was made out to be. Granted, the ref was in Silver's pocket, but still. It used to happen to me all the time in soccer. You just have to fold yourself over and heave a few times. 

Also, wouldn't Daniel insist on being in on the decision to pick the ref? Again, plot, but still.

I did like that Tory was smart enough to figure out the ref was bought off, but the way the guy was looking at Silver the entire time, I don't know how the entire place didn't catch it. 

Chozen was great too; "this ref is a moron, forget him and just go win." 

Of course with the referee in Silver's pocket he went immediately to the Hawk forfeit without the time out period that Danial got in his first tournament with fans waiting like they would for a professional prize fight to finally start.

Edited by Raja
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, moonshine71 said:

Most of these kids have been learning Karate for about a year, maybe two for Miguel and Eli, Sam is the only one w/ more time then that, end they are being considered for some world championship level competition.🙄

It is rather hilarious that Silver planned to get to this super secret, world class, international tournament, that frankly sounds like it takes place on Mister Han's island from Enter the Dragon, and intended to compete with high schoolers.

With Kenny as his champion.

Kenny. 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Raja said:

Of course with the referee in Silver's pocket he went immediately to the Hawk forfeit without the time out period that Danial got in his first tournament with fans waiting like they would for a professional prize fight to finally start.

I guess it's a fair cheat. They were clear from the start that the ref bought off. But then Sam calls time out like 2 minutes later and they grant it. 

I can buy the character development for Kenny (for this show), but it's hard to see him beating Hawk. I suppose that's why he used the bullet move *and* the ref was bought off. tbh, the guys deciding Hawk should fight was a nice scene to show everyone is on the same team, but Robby would have destroyed him. 

I like the show. It's ridiculous, but I don't care. I'm sure most share this view. However, I would really laugh if the dojos getting into the tournament and then just getting their clocks cleaned as a reality check. 

3 hours ago, reggiejax said:

It is rather hilarious that Silver planned to get to this super secret, world class, international tournament, that frankly sounds like it takes place on Mister Han's island from Enter the Dragon, and intended to compete with high schoolers.

To be fair, the Miyagi kids sounded like they knew of it. One of them said, 'that's that clip of the fight I sent you last year' or something and another said a Taiwan team made a car commercial. Still though. It's high school kids. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I guess it's a fair cheat. They were clear from the start that the ref bought off. But then Sam calls time out like 2 minutes later and they grant it. 

I can buy the character development for Kenny (for this show), but it's hard to see him beating Hawk. I suppose that's why he used the bullet move *and* the ref was bought off. tbh, the guys deciding Hawk should fight was a nice scene to show everyone is on the same team, but Robby would have destroyed him. 

I like the show. It's ridiculous, but I don't care. I'm sure most share this view. However, I would really laugh if the dojos getting into the tournament and then just getting their clocks cleaned as a reality check. 

To be fair, the Miyagi kids sounded like they knew of it. One of them said, 'that's that clip of the fight I sent you last year' or something and another said a Taiwan team made a car commercial. Still though. It's high school kids. 

Story wise Mr. Miyagi was protecting Danial-san in the long term by continuing the fight where the actual tournament was secondary from earning the respect from Johnny and his gang in the end.  And then Johnny thinking he went half measures so we had the earlier Miguel and Robby apartment fight. Whereas ultimately Johnny was protecting his reborn and renamed  Cobra Kai student turn Miyagi-Do student in an athletic event by throwing in the towel

6 hours ago, reggiejax said:

With Kenny as his champion.

Kenny. 

I don't remember if it was mentioned, but I assumed that this was a tournament for teenagers just like the All Valley. So all competitors in the tournament would be high schoolers, but from all over the world instead of just locals. It would certainly be ridiculous to have teenagers compete in that tournament if all the other competitors were adults.

As far as Kenny is concerned, he hasn't been doing karate for long, but then again the same goes for Miguel, Robbie, Hawk and Tory when they got to the All Valley finals or even won it. Sam is the only one of the main teens who was already doing karate before the start of the show. And it seemed like she had been taking a break from karate at that time.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, paulvdb said:

I don't remember if it was mentioned, but I assumed that this was a tournament for teenagers just like the All Valley. So all competitors in the tournament would be high schoolers, but from all over the world instead of just locals. It would certainly be ridiculous to have teenagers compete in that tournament if all the other competitors were adults.

As far as Kenny is concerned, he hasn't been doing karate for long, but then again the same goes for Miguel, Robbie, Hawk and Tory when they got to the All Valley finals or even won it. Sam is the only one of the main teens who was already doing karate before the start of the show. And it seemed like she had been taking a break from karate at that time.

Buy that also doesn't address the fact that Miguel, Eli, etc. would have to be at least 17 or 18 by this point. They have been never given us very solid answers about the ages/what year if high school they are, but Sam and her friends are driving in the first or second episode of the series. Kenny just finished 8th grade. He's 14. I commented last season, tournament like the All Valley would absolutely have age and/or weight classes. They wouldn't put a 100 lb 13 year old kid out on the mat to face a 200 lb 17 or 18 year old. So a 14 year old kid w/ like 6 months experience vs. a 17 year old w/ 2 years.

And i just can't w/ the magic punch that apparently only takes about 10 minutes to master, but for some reason Silver is just now sharing it and ONLY teaches to Kenny. Why exactly does he not teach this to Tory now, too(much less the rest of has team, way back before the All Valley)

Well, you can't hand out the secret weapon to *everyone*. He was singling out Kenny for leadership and looking for someone already on the Silver wavelength. 

2 hours ago, paulvdb said:

I don't remember if it was mentioned, but I assumed that this was a tournament for teenagers just like the All Valley. So all competitors in the tournament would be high schoolers, but from all over the world instead of just locals.

That is probably right, but they're still going up against competition that's been probably doing karate since they were 3. It's like why Europe and South America are so good globally in soccer. Or vice versa basketball, though it was easier for the rest of the world to close the gap then us with soccer. 

I can buy an athletic kid in the Valley can rise up quick, and you look at the dojo Silver just bought out, how many are truly focused on the competitions on top of that? I mean, I'm of course rooting for Miyagi-fang, but I can't see TPTB thinking they're going to sell us on any of these kids getting anywhere in a world tournament. Maybe it won't matter, as long as Silver loses.

I suppose the point is that it's Silver's philosophy that needs to be repudiated. And it's a very Japanese concept in losing honorably and earning respect. I could see Robby and all them losing but the contrast of *dishonor* in Cobra Kai wins them respect. 

• LOL 1
30 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Well, you can't hand out the secret weapon to *everyone*. He was singling out Kenny for leadership and looking for someone already on the Silver wavelength. 

That is probably right, but they're still going up against competition that's been probably doing karate since they were 3. It's like why Europe and South America are so good globally in soccer. Or vice versa basketball, though it was easier for the rest of the world to close the gap then us with soccer. 

I can buy an athletic kid in the Valley can rise up quick, and you look at the dojo Silver just bought out, how many are truly focused on the competitions on top of that? I mean, I'm of course rooting for Miyagi-fang, but I can't see TPTB thinking they're going to sell us on any of these kids getting anywhere in a world tournament. Maybe it won't matter, as long as Silver loses.

I suppose the point is that it's Silver's philosophy that needs to be repudiated. And it's a very Japanese concept in losing honorably and earning respect. I could see Robby and all them losing but the contrast of *dishonor* in Cobra Kai wins them respect. 

Remember Johnny in Mexico. In this universe the question was ultimately would Miyagi-Do or Tang Soo Do/Cobra Kai fighter come out victorious when facing all others. Of course real world some kid fighting professionally in Thailand would wipe the floor with them in any sparring or real fight.

Bringing real world stuff into this Japan getting nuked and thus the Okinawans come with a self defense only ethic. The Koreans on the other hand were dominated by the Japanese and bring that strike first, strike hard, no mercy mantra.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, marinw said:

At least the Miyagi kids should have worn their gis while they were being observed. They all looked a little informal for the occasion.

Of course with Cobra Kai's multiple uniforms that would have worked against the Rocky IV analogy being made and from the beginning Mr. Miyagi didn't believe in the uniforms and said belts were for holding up pants when the tournament forced Danial-san into one.. Maybe Mr. Miyagi was a rebel to the Okinawan way as "Master Sensei" Chosin got in his grand title with his self introduction.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, moonshine71 said:

Buy that also doesn't address the fact that Miguel, Eli, etc. would have to be at least 17 or 18 by this point. They have been never given us very solid answers about the ages/what year if high school they are, but Sam and her friends are driving in the first or second episode of the series. Kenny just finished 8th grade. He's 14. I commented last season, tournament like the All Valley would absolutely have age and/or weight classes. They wouldn't put a 100 lb 13 year old kid out on the mat to face a 200 lb 17 or 18 year old. So a 14 year old kid w/ like 6 months experience vs. a 17 year old w/ 2 years.

And i just can't w/ the magic punch that apparently only takes about 10 minutes to master, but for some reason Silver is just now sharing it and ONLY teaches to Kenny. Why exactly does he not teach this to Tory now, too(much less the rest of has team, way back before the All Valley)

This is one of the most hilarious concepts about the franchise. Every single movie and Season has a "magical" move that is used for that one movie/season and then amazingly dumped. Even though were are told "if done right cannot be defended".

#1: Crane kick (used in #2 when chozen just defended it and Season 5, with Silver getting knocked out by it)

#2: Drum technique (used to defeat Chozen, magically never used again. Handy if you want to break 5 sheets of ice)

#3: Performing a Kata (somehow this hypnotised Mike and he lost the fight)

Season 1-4: the nerve punch, used in 4 effectively on Kreese but talked about in 5 but somehow not used.

Season 5: the magical chest punch that knocked the air out of Hawk but somehow disabled him after.

There are probably more but that is all I got.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, juno said:

I wouldn't say Kata is a magical move, it's the basis of Miyagi-Do.  It's all about being balanced, taking a moment to just breathe and do that to center yourself.  It's why Terry ran it down at every turn, and was freaking out when Daniel did it.  Daniel doing it helps him regain his balance, he's no longer confused or off his game.

Terry's always wanted to play mind games with Daniel and his students in this show.  Because he knows a balanced Daniel can whoop Cobra Kai's ass, whether it's fighting them or training his students.  He had to cheat last season and this season, because he knows deep down that he can't beat Daniel, and he certainly can't beat Daniel and Johnny and Chozen.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I don't know. Tory v Sam in last year's final was a toss up on paper. In the time out Sam even said the combined style was working better for her. It says more about Silver that he needed to pay the ref off than having confidence his teachings and training would elevate the students to victory. 

I don't know how he thinks they're going to win on the world stage. There's no way he can pay off that many officials. 

Kenny getting a point off a Hawk that was taking it easy on him from the advice of the others, ok; actually losing, he had to pay off the ref. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, juno said:

This is one of the most hilarious concepts about the franchise. Every single movie and Season has a "magical" move that is used for that one movie/season and then amazingly dumped. Even though were are told "if done right cannot be defended".

#1: Crane kick (used in #2 when chozen just defended it and Season 5, with Silver getting knocked out by it)

#2: Drum technique (used to defeat Chozen, magically never used again. Handy if you want to break 5 sheets of ice)

Season 1-4: the nerve punch, used in 4 effectively on Kreese but talked about in 5 but somehow not used.

Season 5: the magical chest punch that knocked the air out of Hawk but somehow disabled him after.

There are probably more but that is all I got.

On 9/12/2022 at 5:00 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Yeah, the magic moves are a big thing and always silly. I think the punch this season just took it over the top for me. Ah least w/ something like the crane kick

1. Miagi didn't teach it to Daniel at first because it was too advanced. We know Daniel went ahead practiced it on his own. I have a hard time buying that punch is advanced since Kenny learned it in a few minutes(I was already rolling my eyes at Kenny doing a bunch of training the night before, like that's going to make a difference and not just wear you it, but that's a pretty common trope). Still can't square the idea that Terry was willing to buy off refs to win the All-Valley and this show down, but not teach this punch to Tory or anyone else. And be had pegged Tory as a leader long before Kenny.

2. At least we know Daniel practiced the crane kick for some amount if time. Certainly not enough to master it in real life, but at least a nod to the idea if would take time to learn. The magic punch is now Kenny's go to move after learning if in an instant, he uses it again in the final dojo fight.

I might be harping on it a bit because Kenny just really came to annoy the hell out of me, and I was really disappointed no one just knocked the shit out of his cocky little ass in the end. Really amazing, considering how much I loved the kid when he first showed up and wanted to see him stand up to Anthony. 

23 hours ago, Raja said:
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, moonshine71 said:

I might be harping on it a bit because Kenny just really came to annoy the hell out of me, and I was really disappointed no one just knocked the shit out of his cocky little ass in the end. Really amazing, considering how much I loved the kid when he first showed up and wanted to see him stand up to Anthony. 

I agree. I was looking forward to seeing Hawk knock him on his ass after the waterpark incident.

• Love 1
On 9/12/2022 at 8:26 AM, reggiejax said:

The fact that this is the worlds most prestigious Karate tournament, but is also a tournament for kids is probably the most ridiculous thing in this show's history. Like who would care about that? It's like how Wimbledon has juniors divisions but they don't get anything close to the coverage that the men's and women's tournaments do. Plus what year is this show in? Because Karate was in the 2020 Olympics.

• Useful 1

I like how everyone is like, 'They're going to a *world* tournament? Hold on now.'

51 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Because Karate was in the 2020 Olympics.

That's what I was thinking. That they're basically going to fight juniors who are competing for the Olympic squads. 

11 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I like how everyone is like, 'They're going to a *world* tournament? Hold on now.'

That's what I was thinking. That they're basically going to fight juniors who are competing for the Olympic squads. 

Or this is some weird creepy underground fight club style tournament where adults watch kids who aren't able to make it to the Olympics (or the equivalent level world championships) fight each other with full contact. 

Also if you are some big time karate tournament where your organizers will travel (I assume) overseas to check out a dojo, how is it you don't have someone in your group qualified to act as a referee?

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Or this is some weird creepy underground fight club style tournament where adults watch kids who aren't able to make it to the Olympics (or the equivalent level world championships) fight each other with full contact. 

Also if you are some big time karate tournament where your organizers will travel (I assume) overseas to check out a dojo, how is it you don't have someone in your group qualify to act as a referee?

Or the idea if the whole dojos qualifying. It's an individual sport, a tournament like this you would qualify on an individual basis. Ok, so Miguel, Robbie, Eli, and (sigh)Kenny impress you. That means your going to let Dimitri, Anthony and Penis Breath fight in your world championship tournament, too?

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Silver had a flyer for it so you know it's legit!

• LOL 5
21 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The fact that this is the worlds most prestigious Karate tournament, but is also a tournament for kids is probably the most ridiculous thing in this show's history.

I think of this show as an 80's movie with 2020's touches so it's just the Big Karate Tournament in the final act that they have to compete in and don't think too much more about it.

On 9/13/2022 at 2:24 PM, moonshine71 said:

1. Miagi didn't teach it to Daniel at first because it was too advanced. We know Daniel went ahead practiced it on his own. I have a hard time buying that punch is advanced since Kenny learned it in a few minutes(I was already rolling my eyes at Kenny doing a bunch of training the night before, like that's going to make a difference and not just wear you it, but that's a pretty common trope). Still can't square the idea that Terry was willing to buy off refs to win the All-Valley and this show down, but not teach this punch to Tory or anyone else. And be had pegged Tory as a leader long before Kenny.

That didn't really bother me.  The Crane Kick requires balance and a certain level of skill.  The Silver Bullet punch is basically just "hit someone really hard in the solar plexus."  It's not advanced, it's just more ruthless.

As for Tory, she kinda was the leader in earlier seasons, but I think they saw she was having doubts.

On 9/9/2022 at 1:07 PM, bettername2come said:

"Amanda LaRusso, karate adjacent," Hee. Also, love her giggling at Johnny threatening to shove the ponytail straight up Silver's ass. 

Then her little curtsey afterwards! 

Of course Krease has set his sights on world domination via karate with Kenny as his champion. Kenny, a scrawny middle school kid. That's why I love this show, its just gone totally nuts and it knows and leans into it.

The cuts between the different dojos was really well done, and then the German guy being a HUGE fan of Rocky 4 and bonding with Johnny over it with Daniel just looking baffled. "It brought together my fractured homeland." 

Glad that Sam won a big fight, even with the ref clearly being dirty, she really needed that win. Hopefully Devon gets out of there soon.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2
On 9/12/2022 at 4:41 PM, moonshine71 said:

but for some reason Silver is just now sharing it and ONLY teaches to Kenny. Why exactly does he not teach this to Tory now, too(much less the rest of has team, way back before the All Valley)

There is precedent.

• Useful 1

The ref was making borderline judgment calls that didn't break Miyagi Fang's way. One kick didn't count because he said the other kid had his foot off the mat and was out of bounds. Or another kick was a smidge too high. With this show, it's enough of a buy in. It made Sam's match better because they said, 'then don't make the ref make the call. Get the point so everyone knows.' You hear that in real sports all the time. 

On 9/13/2022 at 5:24 PM, moonshine71 said:

He was so sweet in the beginning. I'm sure he'll be redeemed in the end but he's appalling right now. Not only attacking Hawk but taunting him afterward. He's in for a bad fall.

Tory made the right choice. They've given her so much depth this season, I love it.