Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Downward Spiral

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

Carmen having an 80s video dream of reliable Johnny is proof they are perfect for each other. 

Anthony calling out Kyler picking on him when he's been to his house and dated his sister was funny. I appreciated that Eli and Tory were at least trying to maintain some level of civility in the karate war. How the water park will be able to kick out all the karate gangs, I don't know. There's no way all of them looked involved. 

Daniel makes it way too easy for Silver to get into his head. But crap, Amanda leaving and taking the kids is a huge step.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Johnny being a rideshare driver was just as hilarious as I thought it would be.

Daniel is becoming extremely unrootable. Why is he letting Silver get through to him. At least hopefully he gets a wake up call.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, anonymiss said:

It's so bad. I am forcing myself to get through it whereas seasons 1-2 I was pinching myself this show existed. 

I got through episode 8 last night.  If you stick with it imo it gets a little better overall.  But not as good as the 1st 2 seasons 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 9/9/2022 at 2:48 PM, twoods said:

Johnny being a rideshare driver was just as hilarious as I thought it would be.

I could have watched the entire show of this. Car phone. 

Of course drama at water park. That's the entire ludicrous premise of this show. The conversation with the pawn shop owner was well done. 

I have to give Robby credit for being so over it. His "I'm too old for this" look was funny but he really sold the exasperation. Probably shouldn't have pushed Hawk though. 

100% with Amanda there. I know Daniel is going to be proven right, but when they saw it was Silvers house, he should have made an excuse to Eva to leave. I think it's fine he can't let go because we wouldn't have a show, but he seriously lacks context. 

Also it would have been hilarious if Johnny picked him up. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Of course drama at water park. That's the entire ludicrous premise of this show. 

That was pretty silly. Although it would have been a lot more interesting if Sam said she wasn't leaving when her friends were. Since she and her friends weren't anywhere near the fight.

The bit with Demetri and Johnny was pretty funny though. I really want to see Johnny's mind blown when he finds out that Demetri has a super hot girlfriend.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Poor Amanda has no idea she's in the karate kid universe, where kids split water parks into territories based on their karate dojos that are in the middle of a cold war in the middle of suburban California and grown men owning car dealerships get into martial arts battles with their arch rivals for the heart of local karate. Of course, that's what makes the show so much fun. 

Obviously this is all a part of Silvers evil plan, but Daniel just makes it so easy for him. He was obviously goading him and he played right into his hands, I don't blame Amanda for being pissed. 

I love that Johnny got some actually good advice from pawn shop guy.

• Love 7

I was kind of disappointed in this episode. Johnny driving for uber/food delivery should have been drop dead hilarious fun, but he just came across as an asshole. In earlier seasons, he was more of a lovable doofus who sometimes had moments of being a jerk, but the show brilliantly avoided him crossing the line into asshole.

Something seems to be missing so far this season. I think it is the "goofy joy" that permeated even the darker episodes of earlier seasons. 

At least Amanda has finally had enough of Daniel's shit, so we will see where that goes.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3

The problem as I see it is that Encino is apparently only a quarter square mile in size, has only 20 teenagers, and just 3 places for them all to hang out.   The city's adult population seems similarly walled off, judging by the way they're always running into each other at social events. 

The show is frittering away Chozen's badass mystique.    90 Day Fiance? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 9/15/2022 at 11:27 PM, millennium said:

The problem as I see it is that Encino is apparently only a quarter square mile in size, has only 20 teenagers, and just 3 places for them all to hang out.   The city's adult population seems similarly walled off, judging by the way they're always running into each other at social events. 

The show is frittering away Chozen's badass mystique.    90 Day Fiance? 

Since the school fight all the normal kids run away as they would if it was the blue against the red street gangs

On 9/13/2022 at 10:29 AM, TVbitch said:

I was kind of disappointed in this episode. Johnny driving for uber/food delivery should have been drop dead hilarious fun, but he just came across as an asshole. In earlier seasons, he was more of a lovable doofus who sometimes had moments of being a jerk, but the show brilliantly avoided him crossing the line into asshole.

Something seems to be missing so far this season. I think it is the "goofy joy" that permeated even the darker episodes of earlier seasons. 

At least Amanda has finally had enough of Daniel's shit, so we will see where that goes.  

Agree. Johnny comes across at times, as a real immature ass. The driving scenes made me cringe. No  respect for his passengers & drinking & driving. Yep, he’s gonna make a great dad! 

• Love 1

The "Top Gun" dream sequence is hilarious if you get the joke.

I want Johnny to be my permanent Uber driver.

I think the Valley is just about fed up with the Cobra Kai/Miyagi-Do feud and is ready to exile all of the brats to El Segundo.

Yep, I kind of have to side with the wife on this one.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1

Daniel should have set aside the rivalry just for the charity event, for Amanda’s sake. But I suppose it’s Cobra Kai, where problems are solved with martial arts. 😛

”You’re only the champ because Diaz got hurt.”  At least Hawk won without his sensei paying off the ref, unlike Cobra Kai. In all fairness, I think Tory could have beat Sam without that because she’d have fought differently. But nobody except Tory and Terry know that at this point.

• Love 1
On 9/24/2022 at 4:19 AM, chediavolo said:

Agree. Johnny comes across at times, as a real immature ass. The driving scenes made me cringe. No  respect for his passengers & drinking & driving. Yep, he’s gonna make a great dad! 

I thought that 'Mony Mony' montage was entertaining-ish, but that Zabka (as much as I like him especially in this role) hammed it up a bit too much when "rocking out" to the song. Also, I could have done without the using a beer can for... you know, scene. Just pull over to a gas station or something, Johnny.

I do enjoy Johnny's rapport with Lyle (or whatever that pawnshop owner's name is). "There you go, knucklehead." 😄

Edited by kickedinthehead
  • Like 1
  • Love 3