Type keyword(s) to search

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022)

Cranberry
  • Start Topic

"Tech billionaire Miles Bron invites his friends for a getaway on his private Greek island. When someone turns up dead, Detective Benoit Blanc is put on the case."

World premiere: At the 47th Toronto International Film Festival on September 10, 2022
In select cinemas: November 2022
Streaming release date: December 23, 2022, on Netflix

Teaser trailer was released today:

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Cranberry said:

World premiere: At the 47th Toronto International Film Festival on September 10, 2022
In select cinemas: November 2022
Streaming release date: December 23, 2022, on Netflix

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Is it only on Netflix?

Per the first post, TIFF tomorrow, select cinemas November, Netflix December. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Per the first post, TIFF tomorrow, select cinemas November, Netflix December. 

That'll teach me to read!  I didn't even pay attention to the words written in the post above the trailer.  D'oh!  Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 9/9/2022 at 7:33 AM, shapeshifter said:

So tomorrow we should get reviews

The reviews I've read are good. I need to find out where these "select theaters" are. I want to see it before it hits Netflix and theatergoers spoil the ending.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

This last trailer gives even stronger The Last of Sheila vibes as @statsgirl previously noted. However, I loved Shelia so I'm excited for Glass Onion. Still waiting for those "selected theaters" to be announced. 

BTW - a belated shoutout to TCM which is where I first discovered The Last of Shelia.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 1

Wow, that puzzle box in the clip is huge and intricate. The fact that he had multiple boxes made and sent out to all his guests means he is superrich and superdouchey to spend that kind of money.

• Like 1

Escape Room (2019) vibes! That movie also started with a mysterious puzzle being sent to (alleged) randoms, and those who could solve it ended up in an escape room. This time, puzzle solvers are sent to an island. I can't wait--this looks really good.

• Like 1

Enjoyable romp, everyone seemed to have a good time hamming it up.

Two quibbles: They had the old trope of confronting the killer with the only piece of evidence that would nail them (and you taunt the person for not destroying it) and of course, it gets destroyed. I hate that. And second, the whole Steven thing was too quirky by half.

• Like 11

Was Steven the stoner guy who appeared every now and then? I kept wondering if he would turn out to be the killer, or at least a red herring. Also when they said that the gun was missing, I thought Claire must have taken it off him, because there's a definite moment in the movie when she bumps into him. I was wrong though.

The twist makes you rethink the movie and want to rewatch it knowing that Helen is playing Andi. However, if Miles knew all along that she wasn't Andi, then why didn't he confront her?

• Like 3
On 11/24/2022 at 8:59 PM, Cress said:

However, if Miles knew all along that she wasn't Andi, then why didn't he confront her?

I think he may have thought she really was Andi at first and survived the murder attempt. The death announcement being delayed and Miles not being nearly as smart as he believed could contribute to this. Also he may have intended to confront and try (again) to kill her but wanted it to be private so as not to have witnesses. 

On 11/23/2022 at 7:08 PM, AimingforYoko said:

And second, the whole Steven thing was too quirky by half.

I have to admit loving how Steven really was just some random weirdo Miles took a liking to though I spent the whole movie waiting for him to be revealed as a colleague of Blanc. 

On 11/24/2022 at 8:59 PM, Cress said:

I thought Claire must have taken it off him, because there's a definite moment in the movie when she bumps into him.

I was certain Claire had slipped something in his drink during that moment and she was my top suspect for most of the movie.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I think he may have thought she really was Andi at first and survived the murder attempt. The death announcement being delayed and Miles not being nearly as smart as he believed could contribute to this. Also he may have intended to confront and try (again) to kill her but wanted it to be private so as not to have witnesses.

Yeah, I rewatched it, and I guess he does look shocked/amazed when he sees her. Apparently he didn't stay to watch Andie die, because he sped away in his car, almost "pancaking" Duke. When Blanc talks to Helen, he says the death was "nonviolent" and the killer didn't need to watch her die, just set her up in her car and leave.

Although I wonder why Ethan Hawke's character had enough bracelet things for both Blanc and Andie (Helen). Also why that injection/gun thing had enough doses for all the people. If Miles only invited his friends (5 boxes), and he knew Andie was dead, then why expect so many guests? Did his crew just prepare for plus ones for each invitee? Like if Claire had brought her husband? I guess Whiskey and Peg are considered plus ones for Duke and Birdie.

Edited by Cress
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, Cress said:

Did his crew just prepare for plus ones for each invitee? Like if Claire had brought her husband?

That's my guess. He also made a point of inviting Andi to support his alibi so he would have had doses and bracelets prepared for her and a plus one. This would have allowed Blanc to still join the party even if Claire and Lionel had brought plus ones. 

• Like 6

Another thing I thought of--the company is referred to as Alpha but we constantly see a logo which looks like the Greek letter Omega. It's on the yacht, and on bathrobes. Is this another sign of Miles being super stupid, that he thinks Omega is the same as Alpha? I also think there were was a mural in the dining room that looked like Kanye West with a trident I think. Very weird tastes.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1

I'm glad Glass Onion made a showing in movie theaters and so were a lot of other people. My AMC played to full houses throughout Thanksgiving Day week. 

I guessed right about two things: Who the murderer was and the death fake out; the latter due to reading And Then There Were None and being a fan of The Last of Sheila

On 11/27/2022 at 8:20 AM, Cress said:

Although I wonder why Ethan Hawke's character had enough bracelet things for both Blanc and Andie (Helen). Also why that injection/gun thing had enough doses for all the people. If Miles only invited his friends (5 boxes), and he knew Andie was dead,

My theory is while Miles believes himself to be a whiz, remember he is stupid. The man outsourced everything and it's highly unlikely he bothered reading the fine print for anyone he contracted with.  It makes sense to have extra doses or extra bracelets on hand in case of malfunction/loss. That's basically how Blanc convinced Miles extra boxes were made.  It also explains while Miles didn't bother to confirm Andi was actually dead. The man had a very high opinion of himself.  BTW - I should have been suspicious when "Andi" whacked the box open instead of solving the puzzle. 

On 11/26/2022 at 4:53 PM, SeanC said:

It's funny how much Elon Musk worked to make this movie more relevant 

I thought that too LOL. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 3

In the director's commentary for Knives Out, Rian Johnson related that he named some of his characters for Rock personae: Richard & Linda (Thompson), Joni (Mitchell). So I thought about the characters in GO, and yes, I'm willing to bet he had some jazz folk in mind:

• Miles (Davis)
  • Lionel (Hampton)
  • Birdie (Charlie Parker/Bird)
  • Duke (Ellington)
  • Cassandra (Wilson)
  • Helen (maybe Merrill?)
  • Claire (maybe Martin or Teal)

This is fun, I think. Naming characters is hard! You usually want to ensure that no two share a name (notable exception being Darryl and the other brother Darryl from Newhart 🙂). It just seems easier to pick a theme and work it through!

Edited by attica
  • Like 2
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3

I think it’s fun that this movie full of $#!theads who call themselves “disrupters” probably made $30 million less than it could have this weekend (and who knows how much more money over the next few months with reduced box office competition), because the production company is so beholden to their business model.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

I think it’s fun that this movie full of $#!theads who call themselves “disrupters” probably made $30 million less than it could have this weekend (and who knows how much more money over the next few months with reduced box office competition), because the production company is so beholden to their business model.

That's logical, though. Any additional theatrical revenue simply diminishes the lure its meant to be for the Netflix service, thus costing them money on that end.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, SeanC said:

That's logical, though. Any additional theatrical revenue simply diminishes the lure its meant to be for the Netflix service, thus costing them money on that end.

I'm sure Netflix would like to believe that's the case - however I don't know if that's really reflective of how their business works.  I honestly don't know that a ton of viewers subscribe to Netflix for any particular thing - I think they have Netflix because it's, well... Netflix.  It's a service that provides content, and they'll watch that content (especially stuff that gets promoted either on the service or through word of mouth/media) before moving on to the next thing.

Maybe there are some properties like Stranger Things that viewers will specifically subscribe to see.  And, I'm sure actual views for Glass Onion will be fine when it gets to Netflix - but I have serious doubts about it's ability to generate new subscription revenue.  Also - keep in mind that this film not only cost $40 million to make, but it's effectively worth half of the $450 million Knives Out acquisition.  So, let's assume they make $15 million worldwide from this week long limited release (we have to guess because Netflix doesn't report it, but I've seen estimates of $14 million for the holiday weekend).  That means it would need at least $250 million in subscription value to break even - is that a reasonable bet?  I think with a sustained wide release they could have at least made back the film budget, and taken a big chunk out of the rights deal.  The box office alone probably still wouldn't make the film "profitable" - but it would have put much less pressure on it to make up the difference on streaming alone.

• Like 1
On 11/30/2022 at 2:33 AM, Chyromaniac said:

I'm sure Netflix would like to believe that's the case - however I don't know if that's really reflective of how their business works.  I honestly don't know that a ton of viewers subscribe to Netflix for any particular thing

I read an interview with the exec at Netflix who claimed he had tons of data showing that movies who had theatrical release got 5x as many viewers when streaming as those that didn't. There are costs involved with theatrical release: higher promotion costs (posters have to be printed, for example), prints have to be made/distributed/collected, exhibitors have to get their cuts. And no significant dvd income stream afterwards. For a mid-budget piece like this, it makes a great deal of economic sense for Netflix to limit release to contain those costs, and bring it back in-house to capture those potential viewers left wanting.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

2022 in Review: 11 Dumb Things TV Did
By Team TVLine / December 19 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/worst-tv-decisions-2022-cancellations-scheduling/

11 NETFLIX DULLS KNIVES OUT 2 BOX OFFICE
At best, Netflix’s release plan for Rian Johnson’s follow-up to his 2019 hit was “curious”: The mystery thriller was given a one-week, limited theatrical release on Nov. 23, after which it would hit the streamer on Dec. 23.

But a funny thing happened. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery exceeded any expectations at the box office, based on third-party estimates. (No, Netflix doesn’t release theatrical data either!) And amid a quiet stretch at the cineplex, it has been estimated that the sequel could have enjoyed a $40 million to $50 million opening weekend if it had enjoyed a proper wide release befitting a sequel to a hit.

Meaning, many suspect Netflix left a lotta box office bucks on the table by constricting Glass Onion‘s theatrical run in favor of hurrying along its streaming debut.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2

This was my cup of tea. 
The cameo with the late Angela Lansbury at the beginning was very fitting as this was an entirely non-gory multiple murder mystery.

Seeing it on December 23 on Netflix was perfect for me since White Lotus season 2 had just finished airing and both had amusing murder references to the Ionian sea with filthy rich folks lazing around. 
This movie was definitely my favorite of the 2.  (See first comment above.)

On 11/23/2022 at 8:08 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Two quibbles: They had the old trope of confronting the killer with the only piece of evidence that would nail them (and you taunt the person for not destroying it) and of course, it gets destroyed. I hate that. And second, the whole Steven thing was too quirky by half.

I was a bit irked too, but when it was done I realized both the trope of the destroyed crucial evidence and the quirky red herring character were ultimately well-used bits of glue for the literary puzzle box of the murder mystery. 

On 11/28/2022 at 10:05 AM, MissAlmond said:

I should have been suspicious when "Andi" whacked the box open instead of solving the puzzle. 

My favorite scene may have been Janelle Monae taking a hammer to the fancy puzzle box. 
I thought it made sense that the angry Andi would smash the box just as much as her sister would. 
But mileage varies. 

Even though it was a bit longer than some movies, kudos for the pacing, with no lag or waste.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 12

I loved it. I’m so glad I went into this spoiler-free.

On 11/26/2022 at 5:53 PM, SeanC said:

It's funny how much Elon Musk worked to make this movie more relevant in the month or so between when I saw it at TIFF and when it is getting more general release.

Happy coincidence or an unintentional prediction? Either way, it was brilliant.

We are getting more Benoit movies, right? If so, I want him to bring his husband along next time. And Helen and Marta should meet, they would get along famously.

• Like 3
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

This was my cup of tea. 
The cameo with the late Angela Lansbury at the beginning was very fitting as this was an entirely non-gory multiple murder mystery.

Benoit playing Among Us online with Angela Lansbury, Stephen Sondheim, Natasha Lyonne, and Kareem while in quarantine was pure perfection.  I also loved Jackie Hoffman playing Duke's mom and her getting the clues before any of the disruptors.  

• Like 21
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also loved Jackie Hoffman playing Duke's mom and her getting the clues before any of the disruptors.  

Oh yes! Jackie Hoffman as Duke's savant mom was awesome.

Edited by shapeshifter
my usual typo
  • Like 11

I think I liked this one even better than the first. The ridiculous rich people shit was just 😘. Janelle was great and the random guy who I think was named Darryl was just too funny. I hope to get more Benoit if we can keep to this level.

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Oh yes! Jackie Hoffman as Duke's savant mom was awesome.

I was so sad she didn't get to go to the island too. 

• Like 5

Okay, two things I don't get about Miles Bron. If he's not actually a genius, why did Andie need him? She was the creator and brains of Alpha. Don't think he was bankrolling anyone until he made Alpha $$. Is it just that he's a great bullshitter?

Second, why did he send Andie the box after he killed her? Everyone thought it was weird that he invited her, so no one would have batted an eyelash if he hadn't. I guess it was his own hubris that lead to (Benoit Blanc, which lead to) his downfall.

According to Andi's journals, which Helen told Blanc about, Miles did do something. I'm not sure how, but he somehow got Birdie a gig, got Lionel published, and got Claire elected to a local, pre-Governor office. It's kind of vague in a "things started happening" way. I guess he did somehow have useful connections, and then Andi brought Miles along on Alpha for some reason. But you'd think she wouldn't let him be co-founder. She could have given him a lower level job without all the "partner" credibility.

It still bothers me that Andi let Miles in her house, and Blanc talks about how she's too smart to fear him. Um, she's too dumb and trusting, if she didn't fear him showing up out of the blue like that.

Edited by Cress
  • Like 4

I couldn't figure out how Helen could run full speed across a glass covered floor that only moments ago had people who were standing relatively still, sliding around like they were on a ice skating rink.

Hydrogen becomes liquid at -253 degrees Celsius and solid at -259 degrees Celsius. Miles is a genius just for creating solid Hydrogen you can carry around in your pocket. The saving in storage and transport would be amazing.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2

Did everyone take private jets to Greece?  I know Greece has lax gun laws for an EU member state (or is it lax enforcement of existing gun laws), but it’s still weird to think that some unhinged American was simply waved through with his firearms by customs.

I enjoyed this a lot but I have some quibbles. I couldn't wrap my head around the timeline surrounding their friendship.  Someone made a comment about Birdie going on Oprah and comparing herself to Harriet Tubman.  Oprah's last show was in 2011 so in about a year's time since she hooked up with Miles, Birdie became famous enough as a model/entrepreneur/fashion editor to make Oprah's farewell season?  Even if she had been on Oprah before she met Miles she was a "struggling model."  What got her on Oprah in the first place?  Now, she could have simply been interviewed by Oprah since 2011 but no one really says "went on Oprah" unless they are specifically referring to the talk show.  It just took me out.  Also, and this is really minor, the aesthetics of that photo of everyone looked a little too dated to have been taken 10 years ago.  Even without the quality of cameras we have now, a digital photograph from 2010 hasn't aged that poorly has it?  It almost looked like it was supposed to have been taken on film, which again, would seem out of line with the time frame.  The movie literally tells us this takes place in 2020 (and makes good on some pandemic humor) but it's almost as if it wants to take place a decade ago so that the past events can take place a decade before that.  Also, other than the bar, how did they all hook up in the first place?  A bunch of random 30 year olds just happen to show up, alone, at the local dive bar and they start talking?  I know these things can snowball over time but I feel like the movie yadda yadda'd how this happened.  And maybe that's not the point.  It really doesn't matter.  But it does raise some plausibility questions.  And finally, despite the fact that they all became rich and successful in their own rights they all still lived within driving distance of Andi/each other.  Except for Miles who presumably flew his jet over.  With his car.  (he did say that thing goes everywhere he goes.)  

Again, these are more fridge moments than anything else.  This is a really fun movie and I'd recommend it to anyone.  The cast looked like they were enjoying the hell out of themselves and it's fun to see Craig get to do stuff like this.  And the whole Mona Lisa thing reminded me of a meme I've seen.  (I'm paraphrasing):  Someone had poster that "Someday you will die.  And everyone who remembers you will die too.  And then you will be forgotten forever."  And someone replied "Not if I eat the Mona Lisa."  😆  That one  always makes me laugh.   

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I did not enjoy this as much as the first one. It could be because I am distracted and irritated by multiple sources right now.

The not consistently making Miles and Andi the genius or the idiot was one reason I was annoyed. I think Miles, like some real famous rich people dubbed geniuses sometimes do, was supposed to be seen as fumbling into his genius ideas. That did not land. I thought it would be revealed that the hydrogen discovery was made by Lionel, but that was not the case.

One consistent thing was the shitheads were shitheads.

• Like 3

I just thought of something else that didn’t line up. If Duke crossed paths with Miles just after he left Andie to die in her garage, how come Duke, Claire and Lionel didn’t find her? They were banging all over outside her house, but didn’t try there? They would have heard the car running.

I liked the movie, just to make it clear, but when it’s a mystery, I can’t help but double check that everything makes sense.

• Like 2

It would have been impossible for the people who work in the company not to know that Andi was the genius and that Miles was an idiot. It is almost impossible to convince people knowledgeable in the same field as you that you are way smarter than them. Miles might have had brilliant vague ideas, but Andi had to be the one that fleshed them out and directed the company. I don't know how the company would have chosen Miles to lead them over Andi, unless Miles drew up the company's original paperwork so that he might take over one day.

• Like 2