Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Two Hearts

DanaK
  • Start Topic

When Padma's pregnancy takes a dangerous turn, the doctors come together to find a solution and turn to Ian to perform a miracle. Meanwhile, Conrad makes a decision regarding his love life and Devon leads his own clinical trials at Chastain in the all-new "Two Hearts" season premiere episode of THE RESIDENT airing Tuesday, Sept. 20 (8:00-9:02 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

• Love 1

When they showed Billie and Conrad hug at the beginning, I figured it was a fake out and he chose Cade. Because of course he would choose the boring option. I'm guessing it is just so it can blow up and he and Billie can get together later? I didn't even realize I cared about him choosing Billie until they showed he was with Cade.

And of course Padma's pregnancy has issues.

Hasn't this show already done the addict surgeon, or am I mixing it up with every other medical show ever?

• Like 1
  • Love 7
31 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Hasn't this show already done the addict surgeon, or am I mixing it up with every other medical show ever?

You can't mix it up, as its on every medical show. That said it was Dr. Bell that was popping pills before he became a good guy.

Wondering what became of Billie's son???

Edited by preeya
  • Love 3

And today's crisis is ..... Padma and the babies!  Have to have a crisis in every episode. But this was really too over the top.

I like Kit and Bell but they were barely on. 

AJ's anvil telling Billie that it's never too late to get back the love of your life, and that if she had told Conrad how she felt about him he would be with her right now suggests to me that Conrad/Cade is temporary. And since they are as interesting as watching wet sand dry, I don't know how long I'll stick around to watch.

Devon is amazing. Most peer-reviewed article take 18 or more months to get published, but he gets his while Padma is still incubating.

1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

I'll give them that one. Addiction is all too common among doctors.

29 minutes ago, preeya said:

Wondering what became of Billie's son???

At the end of last season, he phoned Billie and said that he had a job working for a drug company and he was happy there. He only wanted to be a doctor thinking that Billie would want him then.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

The only saving grace of this episode Is that they’re at least alluding to an eventual Conrad/Billie endgame. Having said that Im not entirely on board unless he pines for her a bit. 

2 hours ago, Artsda said:

I prefer Cade, so glad she was picked. Is Bell on reduced episodes? He was in one scene.

I’ve always thought Bruce Greenwood was too good for this show. Maybe he’s finally realised it too.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I’ve always thought Bruce Greenwood was too good for this show. Maybe he’s finally realised it too.

Amen.

There are identical twins in my family, so when Padma was having the ultrasound I was yelling "Twin-Twin Transfusion Syndrome!" at my tv repeatedly until they gave her the diagnosis. 

Too much GiGi. The kid is not a good actress and they're putting her in too many scenes.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Too much GiGi. The kid is not a good actress and they're putting her in too many scenes.

Logically I can see why they are doing it -- it keeps the memory of Nic alive for those who miss her and it's a way to male Billie important to Conrad to justify a swerve to her if/when the relationship with Cade falls apart.

But like the Conrad/Cade relationship, while I see the reasoning, I'm not sure it's going to work out on screen so well.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

I’m hoping Gigi doesn’t like her much either.

The one problem I would have with this is that they would have to have a whole plot involving Gigi and I am already tired of the kid. Child actors that cannot act should be left to the side, appear only so we know they still exist and spend the rest of the time in playdates and sleep overs, only mentioned briefly as the other characters go about their duties

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, circumvent said:

The one problem I would have with this is that they would have to have a whole plot involving Gigi and I am already tired of the kid. Child actors that cannot act should be left to the side, appear only so we know they still exist and spend the rest of the time in playdates and sleep overs, only mentioned briefly as the other characters go about their duties

Yea there’s always that faction who whinge when the kids aren’t continuously shown because it’s gasp… not realistic. 

I agree though the actress is crap and brings the show further into cheesy lifetime soap territory with every appearance.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Great… Padma is everywhere! 🙄 Since she is AJ’s baby mama, she will stick around for sure. I thought Padma is a free-spirit who values her own freedom and independence, she just needs a sperm donor. Now, she is OK with AJ buying her (and the twins) a condo and all? Does he pay for her premium health insurance too? How convenient…

Am not into Conrad’s love life, so Billie or Cade, it doesn’t matter. I’d prefer to see Conrad, Devon, AJ and Irving in actions, saving lives and their friendship. Gigi doesn’t bother me but Leela, Cade and Padma do. Ugh. They can never measure up to Nic Nevin and Mina Okafor. 😣

• Like 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Gigi doesn’t bother me but Leela, Cade and Padma do. Ugh. They can never measure up to Nic Nevin and Mina Okafor. 😣

THIS. I miss Nic and I really, REALLY miss Mina and her snark.

I didn’t mind Leela much in this episode, but Padma still irritates me. (BTW is her name pronounced “Padma” or “Pudma”? I keep hearing both.) And don’t even get me started on how much I dislike Cade. Speaking of whom, now she and Ian are suddenly best buds?! How the hell is that supposed to have happened?

Is it at all realistic that Ian is now clear of his pancreatic cancer? Isn’t it the case that it usually goes undetected until it’s late in the game? Especially given how he was in denial about the pain he was experiencing. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

Is it at all realistic that Ian is now clear of his pancreatic cancer? Isn’t it the case that it usually goes undetected until it’s late in the game? Especially given how he was in denial about the pain he was experiencing. 

The miracle of TV scriptwriting ↑

On 9/22/2022 at 10:12 AM, CarpeFelis said:

Nic is irreplaceable but I really do think that Cade was an attempt to recreate Mina.  They are both tough female characters who refuse to be intimidated, both snarky, and both think that they are right when they are in conflict with others especially other doctors. I think the problem is that what looks like strength when it's in a WoC looks arrogant and off-putting when the character is white.

• Love 1

Finally watching this on Hulu. I’m about 25 min in. 

So the famous chef just stood around the ER entrance, moaning, scared and with her arm wrapped in a towel and none of the other staff members did anything until Conrad walked in? She was, what, 20 feet from the front desk? 

Padma: “what’s preeclampsia?”

AJ: “it’s a condition that requires monitoring but we can handle it” (something to that effect)

Me: “uhh… that’s nice but you didn’t answer her question. That doesn’t explain what preeclampsia IS.” 

What? Now that Padma’s ready to go, there’s a sudden storm outside? Why didn’t we see/hear any sign of this storm before hand? Thunder/lightning outside the window, someone making a comment about “I hope the back up generators are in good shape,” patients coming in sopping wet, etc. Ridiculous. 

Edited by Frisky Wig
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Nic is irreplaceable but I really do think that Cade was an attempt to recreate Mina.  They are both tough female characters who refuse to be intimidated, both snarky, and both think that they are right when they are in conflict with others especially other doctors. I think the problem is that what looks like strength when it's in a WoC looks arrogant and off-putting when the character is white.

This plus the actress just comes across so wooden. Mina had a personality, Cade doesn’t seem to. Mina’s character was a bit more fleshed out, too. Some things I loved about her were her fashion designing/sewing and Halloween parties. What does Cade do in her free time? Plug herself in and recharge in a closet?

Edited by CarpeFelis
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 9/22/2022 at 10:12 AM, CarpeFelis said:

I didn’t mind Leela much in this episode, but Padma still irritates me. (BTW is her name pronounced “Padma” or “Pudma”? I keep hearing both.) And don’t even get me started on how much I dislike Cade. Speaking of whom, now she and Ian are suddenly best buds?! How the hell is that supposed to have happened?

I also miss Mina so much!

It all depends on the type of pancreatic cancer he had. If he had the Steve Jobs kind (I want to say Pancreatic NET?), that is 90+% survival with surgery & chemo (with the chemo being a just in case measure).

So one of the meds Papa Cade was taking looked a hell of a lot like valacyclovir (generic Valtex, a herpes medicine) - I mean the propmaster probably just bought random bag of sugar pills... but still, it looked quite a bit like it. I was on valacyclovir as a preventative antiviral when my immune system was REALLY low during my chemo (now it's just low, not "you can just randomly get a viral, fungal, or bacterial infection" low)

19 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Do you think? I have to admit I would never have taken her for a Mina replacement. She doesn’t have much attitude about her the way Mina did. I don’t even think she comes across as arrogant. Just boring. If anything I feel she’s just a generic love interest whos main character trait was “mysterious”.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Avabelle said:

Do you think? I have to admit I would never have taken her for a Mina replacement. She doesn’t have much attitude about her the way Mina did. I don’t even think she comes across as arrogant. Just boring. If anything I feel she’s just a generic love interest whos main character trait was “mysterious”.

Totally agree. I loved Mina’s “take crap from no one” attitude. She was an all around badass.

Edited by CarpeFelis

Cade was very badass when she first came on the show, knowing better than other people, tough, taking no crap and asking for no favours, difficulty fitting in because she was standoffish. Even in the last episodes, she was determined to carry on without going into hiding because even though the mob guys had made her, she wasn't going to cave.  The actress was wooden in her interpretation but writing had her as a badass.

They've toned her down in this episode because she's Conrad's new love interest.

Full disclosure, I didn't like Mina because she cared about people close to her and not others, thought she knew better than everyone else and didn't meet an ethics rule she didn't think she was justified in breaking if the circumstances warranted it. She was a big reason I didn't get into the show in the early seasons. I still get angry right now thinking about her telling the parents what Cain did, they didn't need to live with the knowledge of that. (The correct thing would have been to report Cain to the medical board so he would lose his license. If the parents found out after that, they would know that there were consequences.)   I didn't like Cade last season because of the qualities that she and MIna share as well as because of the actress.

This Billie/Conrad friendship has come out of nowhere for me. I Know they’re close but her acting like Gigi’s second mother would have made more sense last season. As would her and Conrad as besties.

I also found her attitude to Cade a bit snarky. And her fixing Conrad’s bandage as soon as she left the room and overall closeness inappropriate given he’s dating her colleague and someone she knows. … but I guess I don’t like Cade/Conrad so meh? I can only assume Jessica Lucas pregnancy last season meant she was available for fewer scenes last season so now they’re just… pretending it happened anyway?

Andrew McCarthy is hilariously bad in this role.

10 hours ago, Avabelle said:

And her fixing Conrad’s bandage as soon as she left the room and overall closeness inappropriate given he’s dating her colleague and someone she knows. … but I guess I don’t like Cade/Conrad so meh?

I think this was plot contrivance by the writers to make us think it was Billie he’s in a relationship with rather than Cade, so they could surprise us at the end. I did not enjoy that surprise.

• Like 3

Just watched this last night. I was really hoping Conrad would have picked Billie. However, I don't think he and Cade will last. I think he will end up with Billie in the final season/episode. I think AJ is right that Conrad likely thought that Billie wouldn't be interested in going further due to the "BFF code" she had with Nic. I didn't like the fakeout with Billie touching Conrad so much when they were alone. 

I'm glad Padma and AJ's babies are ok but I am so sick and tired of her. She is super duper annoying and she has made Leela into an annoying character too and by extension Devon, because of the way he fawns over them. So are Padma and AJ a couple now too, or just "co-parenting"? I will be really glad when this story is over, if ever, because I'm sure there will be more complications. 

I too was wondering where Bell was for most of the episode and Kit wasn't given much to do either. I was really hoping that the pills Andrew McCarthy was popping would turn out to be a red herring and he was actually taking meds related to his cancer. Really not looking forward to another storyline of a drug addicted doctor. 

I felt like this whole episode was kind of a waste of a premiere. They spent so much time on Padma's twins drama and waited until the end to show us that Conrad picked Cade. Will try to watch the next episode sometime this week but I have a lot of other shows to catch up on. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, GiandujaPie said:

So are Padma and AJ a couple now too, or just "co-parenting"? I will be really glad when this story is over, if ever, because I'm sure there will be more complications. 

I too was wondering where Bell was for most of the episode and Kit wasn't given much to do either.

I think Padma and AJ are just co-parenting. I wish they’d bring Mina back because AJ deserves so much better (and of course because I adored Mina). But if they don’t, then I hope they introduce a new love interest for him, someone really awesome.

Yeah, I was annoyed that Kit wasn’t given much to do. Looks like Andrew McCarthy is the only one representing my generation at the moment, and his character’s not exactly likable. They seem to have done a partial redemption since it seems Cade doesn’t hate him anymore but that’s about all.

• Love 2

The actress who plays Cade is still wooden and I can’t even imagine her hanging out with Gigi. It’s curious to me that Conrad used to be the star of the show but now they have to find ways to shoehorn him in since he doesn’t function as “the resident” anymore. I still like Kit, Bell and AJ but not a fan of Leela and Padma and since Devon is all about his trial, we don’t get to see him deal with other patients as much. There was a kind of charm with Conrad, Devon and Nic working together on emergencies and now the focus is elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

now they have to find ways to shoehorn him in since he doesn’t function as “the resident” anymore

Now he’s just Gary Stu, exceptional diagnostician who hands out advice to all other co workers when he’s not battling the mafia or solving other medical mysteries in his spare time.

• Love 3
On 9/23/2022 at 5:43 PM, Frisky Wig said:

Finally watching this on Hulu. I’m about 25 min in. 

So the famous chef just stood around the ER entrance, moaning, scared and with her arm wrapped in a towel and none of the other staff members did anything until Conrad walked in? She was, what, 20 feet from the front desk? 

Padma: “what’s preeclampsia?”

AJ: “it’s a condition that requires monitoring but we can handle it” (something to that effect)

Me: “uhh… that’s nice but you didn’t answer her question. That doesn’t explain what preeclampsia IS.” 

What? Now that Padma’s ready to go, there’s a sudden storm outside? Why didn’t we see/hear any sign of this storm before hand? Thunder/lightning outside the window, someone making a comment about “I hope the back up generators are in good shape,” patients coming in sopping wet, etc. Ridiculous. 

I will say the storm didn't bother me. In the summer it happens all the time. A very quick moving fast and furious storm. They don't usually last more than 10-15  minutes here in Georgia. 

• Useful 1