Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Certified Lover Boy

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Junior finds himself the center of attention when he’s awarded five stars on Cal U’s infamous “D List,” prompting timely conversations about objectification and hookup culture among the crew.

Airdate: 09/07/2022

Ugh, maybe the worst episode yet. I don't buy Junior as some kind of hot commodity and all the girls were annoying in this episode. This token white girl who suddenly showed up in the friend group is getting dumber with every passing episode and this wide-eyed, naive thing is not working. 

Aaron and Doug continue to be my favorite part of the show, Aaron's defensive spiel about how ratings have evolved over the years like sports team made me laugh. Trevor Jackson does that deadpan monologue thing very well. And the spoon dong bit was pretty funny. 

32 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

This token white girl who suddenly showed up in the friend group is getting dumber with every passing episode and this wide-eyed, naive thing is not working. 

This friend group is much worse than the last friend group, which was pretty bad. It also seems like they add friends periodically, or I'm just not paying that close attention. 

They add and drop friends so arbitrarily based on whatever’s convenient and it really bugs me.  

In theory, I’m fine with Junior deciding to have a “ho phase,” because that’s an actual thing that happens in college to a lot of people that grew up sheltered/nerdy.  I am not fine with it happening due to his massive dong.  That’s something I never wanted to think about.  At no point during ‘Black-ish’ or this first season did I ever think, “wow, I hope there’s an entire episode devoted to Junior’s man-meat.”  

Also, presenting The D-List as some kind of feminist victory was weak-sauce.

• Love 1

I thought they were selling the idea that his prowess was because he pays attention and is present ("you made eye contact"), not because of his size. 

But I agree that trying to turn what was a revenge list into a liberating thing is absolute horseshit. Men don't get slut-shamed like women do, so of course it's easier for them to go with it, or get past it. 

Who is writing this crap?

I don't buy that making eye contact in the bathroom mirror got him a spot on the list. I hated this storyline, but part of it was that we watched junior grow up on Black-ish so this just feels a little icky, IMO.

On 9/16/2022 at 12:27 AM, Aileen said:

I don't buy that making eye contact in the bathroom mirror got him a spot on the list. I hated this storyline, but part of it was that we watched junior grow up on Black-ish so this just feels a little icky, IMO.

Yes, I can still remember him as the 12-ish year old wanting to play “fee hockey” so this storyline is uncomfortable.

But also, the manner of the hook up with Keila (2 virtual strangers, standing up in an unlocked bathroom in the middle of a party) doesn’t exactly scream intimacy, so it’s extra weird that she claims that genuine connection was her reasoning.

• Love 1
On 9/18/2022 at 9:16 PM, ljenkins782 said:

But also, the manner of the hook up with Keila (2 virtual strangers, standing up in an unlocked bathroom in the middle of a party) doesn’t exactly scream intimacy, so it’s extra weird that she claims that genuine connection was her reasoning.

Also, did she rate all the guys that she was with: e.g. Doug or her current boyfriend who's name I didn't bother to learn?