Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The People vs. Emil Blonsky

• Start Topic

Wong's career arc is admirable. Sales associate at Target -> Kamar-Taj librarian -> Sorcerer Supreme.

Jen saying to "just remember whose show this actually is" was great.

I feel like the show missed a trick when the Youtube(-ish) screenshot had one video with a thumbnail that said "who is she?" but in red Comic Sans rather than the something that would look more like New Rockstar's YouTube thumbnails, which would definitely say something like "who is she?" and have become something of a low-key meme themselves.

ROFL the show perfectly predicted the MRA-type backlash to the show. (I mean, I suppose this was likely ever since Captain Marvel)

I get that all legal shows bend the law, but I feel like Pug calling Jen, his current colleague, to be a witness should have been challenged by the defense. Also, it's gonna take me a while to get used to this Pug. He just seems so much more slick than the one from the comics.

I thought Bruce's inhibitor device was experimental. And tuned to himself. Did the parole board just take it on faith that there was a functional one for Blonsky? (and will he break the promise for the 2024 Thunderbolts movie?)

• Like 2
  • Love 10

Sorry, MCU, your spot-on commentary on how trolls crap on female superheroes like She-Hulk (and Captain Marvel) won’t make me forget how you’ve treated quite a few of your other female characters lately.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1

Ok admittedly it’s taken a while for me to warm up to the show but this episode got me on board. It was a lot of fun, and the MRA/troll backlash call out was spot on and sadly not even that much of a parody. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, arc said:

I get that all legal shows bend the law, but I feel like Pug calling Jen, his current colleague, to be a witness should have been challenged by the defense. Also, it's gonna take me a while to get used to this Pug. He just seems so much more slick than the one from the comics.

It probably was, but figure that Jen was called specifically as a "rebuttal" witness to the defense's assertion that Bukowski was a reasonably intelligent person when in fact he's a delusional narcissist.

• Useful 1

Jen breaking the fourth wall in this ep was so complete she let go of the steering wheel and leaned over the middle console to talk to us. I love that. 'This is so obviously a show that I'm not actually driving this vehicle. I promise the show isn't all about cameos. Or maybe it is. Anyway, back to it!'

So light elves are actually from Alfheim -- one of the nine realms (ten if we're still including Heven and the angels but I honestly don't remember if that's still sticking in print canon) -- and Surtur didn't destroy Alfheim at the end of Ragnarok. But, you know, Thor-adjacent shape-shifters, man. And I'm not going to be even remotely upset at Megan Thee Stallion getting her cameo. Now that's two Legendary judges that are part of the MCU. And on the same show at that. 

Not mad.

I don't even KNOW what the deal with Blonski's seven soulmates in their Wickerman white robes and flower crowns. The parole board just blithely accepting that cracks me up. Sure. We have super-powered influencers now. Why not?

Then there's Wong who just does as he pleases. Sorcerer Supremes don't need to follow the rules. Magic breaks the rules, that's the whole damn point. Except for some specific rules. You know what, don't ask. It's not for non-magic users. "Hey, you broke a dude out of a high security prison which is totally against the law!" "Yeah, anyway, Wong out!"

Also, Dennis is the worst.

And now we've got the Wrecking Crew! And some mysterious boss who is clearly after Jen's blood. Trouble is afoot!!

Edited by Dandesun
  • Like 3
  • Love 4

Yep, that was actually Renee Elise Goldsberry as Jen's fellow lawyer who bailed once she saw how big of a slimeball Dennis was.  Have to imagine there will be more to her later.

It's almost kind of sad how the show easily nailed down the MRA-type reaction She-Hulk got from internet trolls within the show and how it pretty much is in line with the reaction this show gets from them for merely existing.  Now, obviously the bigotry and pure sexism is the worst part about all of this, but the cherry on top of the crappy sundae really is how predictable they are with their hatred and whining (and, yes, there are plenty of criticisms that can be leveled here, but it easy to tell which ones are in good faith and which ones just hate seeing women characters lead their precious superhero shows!) 

The law stuff was definitely on the flimsy side of things, but I guess it is hard to really get a sense of how it would work in a world where clients consist of a man who can transform into a monstrous being and an elf from another world who shape-shifts into famous musicians in order to scam some suckers out of their cash!  And, yet they are still more believable than almost all of the court scenes in the Arrowverse...

Only thing better than Wong's appearance was his exit once he realized he was officially a criminal now.  Catch him if you can!

I wonder if this is the last we we see of Emil?

Looks like those thugs that tried to take on Jen were after her blood and seem to be working for a mysterious someone.  I wonder who it could be?!

Say what you will about how hit or miss Phase 4 has been, but I do kind of love that we're in a universe that can feature everything from a witch chasing a sorcerer through multiple universes, to a Norse God visiting a god hangout led by an Olympian, a man with three personalities trying to keep a handle on the powers bestowed upon him by dickish Egyptian God, to a Captain Marvel fangirl coming into her own with her powers in between homework and boys, all the way to a hero just twerking it with Megan Thee Stallion!  It's the MCU, baby!

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 13

This show is just going for fun and I'm here for it. 

It's also the first to really lean into the MCU side with all enhanced people, Bruce, Emil, Wong, shape shifting elves from Asgard and some Criminal gang with stolen Asgardian tech weapons. 

And introducing Megan Thee Stallion as being in the MCU. Both for real and shape shifting Elf that Jen now represents.

Dennis and the haters can suck it. This show is fun and Tatiana is killing it like I knew she would. That woman can be anyone. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 2
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

And introducing Megan Thee Stallion as being in the MCU.

"Dial it back!"

Tim Roth's performance is almost enough to get me go back and rewatch the original version of Emil in The Incredible Hulk. Almost.

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Dandesun said:

I don't even KNOW what the deal with Blonski's seven soulmates in their Wickerman white robes and flower crowns. The parole board just blithely accepting that cracks me up. Sure. We have super-powered influencers now. Why not?

They're a cult/harem that I predict will go spectacularly wrong in coming episodes.  We've already established that blood/fluid transfer can potentially create a Hulk.  I'm expecting a post-prison orgy that creates seven "Aboministas."

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, arc said:

6 hours ago, johntfs said:

It probably was, but figure that Jen was called specifically as a "rebuttal" witness to the defense's assertion that Bukowski was a reasonably intelligent person when in fact he's a delusional narcissist.

Yes.  

5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

The law stuff was definitely on the flimsy side of things, but I guess it is hard to really get a sense of how it would work in a world where clients consist of a man who can transform into a monstrous being and an elf from another world who shape-shifts into famous musicians in order to scam some suckers out of their cash!  And, yet they are still more believable than almost all of the court scenes in the Arrowverse...

I can understand why Bukowski would waive the jury in this case-they're not going to have any sympathy for the fool who would spend $175k that he probably did not have on a delusion.  Which is why I am surprised that the defendant elf did not demand a jury trial.  The jury would have hated the plaintiff.  Also, Bukowski's only going to get about 2/3 of his money back after attorney's fees, assuming the elf has that kind of money, which she probably doesn't, so I don't know why the firm took the case in the first place.

What actually bugs me is the judge sentencing a defendant in a civil case to jail time on a criminal matter without due process.  It's ridiculously absurd to conflate civil and criminal trials in an otherwise enjoyably absurd legal show.

This bugged me less, but still: diplomatic immunity isn't absent because the diplomat isn't in their home country; that's the entire point of diplomatic immunity!  More likely, this particular elf isn't recognized as a diplomat to the US. Is it even accurate to say that in the MCU New Asgard is a sovereign nation, as opposed to a town in Norway?  If it is a sovereign nation and Thor or Valkyrie, for instance, were officially diplomats from New Asgard to the US, then they would have diplomatic immunity from both civil and criminal prosecution. 

14 hours ago, arc said:

I thought Bruce's inhibitor device was experimental. And tuned to himself. Did the parole board just take it on faith that there was a functional one for Blonsky? (and will he break the promise for the 2024 Thunderbolts movie?)

I wondered about this, too.  I wonder how Jen was able to present her proposal to the parole board before they rendered their decision.  I also believe that Wong should have been sworn in before giving his testimony, but there was no cut between his sudden appearance and his giving evidence.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, johntfs said:

They're a cult/harem that I predict will go spectacularly wrong in coming episodes.

The end credits had a concept art picture of Emil leaving all (eight!) behind soulmates as he took the prison transport bus alone. Some are waving good-bye, one's crying. His rehabilitation might have been overstated, who knows.

You know, between Blonsky and Jen and Bruce all having conquered their issues, there isn't a single gamma-powered rampaging rage monster in the MCU right now.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
51 minutes ago, arc said:

The end credits had a concept art picture of Emil leaving all (eight!)

The concept art is wrong!  There should only be 7 of them, correct?  There were 7 at the parole hearing. With him, there are 8, so they are his better eighths, the way your spouse, if there are only 2 of you, is your better half.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

There are only 7 of them, correct?  With him, there are 8, so they are his better eighths, the way your spouse, if there are only 2 of you, is your better half.

There were 7 in the show but 8 in the concept art. I didn't misspeak.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

This show is just going for fun and I'm here for it. 

It's also the first to really lean into the MCU side with all enhanced people, Bruce, Emil, Wong, shape shifting elves from Asgard and some Criminal gang with stolen Asgardian tech weapons. 

And introducing Megan Thee Stallion as being in the MCU. Both for real and shape shifting Elf that Jen now represents.

Dennis and the haters can suck it. This show is fun and Tatiana is killing it like I knew she would. That woman can be anyone. 

That is exactly why I am here. Since Real Life is such a shitshow these days, I just want to watch things that are fun!

I believe that Jen is now representing the real Megan Thee Stallion, since that elf is probably in jail serving her time for impersonating the judge. I'm pretty sure that Jen wouldn't kill for some unknown Asgardian elf! 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I believe that Jen is now representing the real Megan Thee Stallion, since that elf is probably in jail serving her time for impersonating the judge. I'm pretty sure that Jen wouldn't kill for some unknown Asgardian elf! 

Why would Megan Thee Stallion need a superhuman lawyer? I suppose so another superhuman doesn't try to impersonate her. 

I'm glad this show is just having fun with super hero shenanigans. I like seeing what people do on an everyday basis. There is not a world ending disaster every day. Most of the time people are just living their lives or being catfished by a light elf from New Asgard. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

This bugged me less, but still: diplomatic immunity isn't absent because the diplomat isn't in their home country; that's the entire point of diplomatic immunity!  More likely, this particular elf isn't recognized as a diplomat to the US. Is it even accurate to say that in the MCU New Asgard is a sovereign nation, as opposed to a town in Norway?  If it is a sovereign nation and Thor or Valkyrie, for instance, were officially diplomats from New Asgard to the US, then they would have diplomatic immunity from both civil and criminal prosecution.

She wasn't a diplomat from New Asgard, she was a diplomat to New Asgard from Alfheim. (Unless I misheard.) So it would be the equivalent of the US ambassador to France committing a crime in the UK and expecting diplomatic immunity because of it.

• Like 3
  • Useful 6
5 hours ago, arc said:

You know, between Blonsky and Jen and Bruce all having conquered their issues, there isn't a single gamma-powered rampaging rage monster in the MCU right now.

Until a multiverse variant shows up in MCU!Prime....

• Love 2

I was torn between loving how accurately the real world reaction the show and what women experience was reflected and being depressed at how accurate it was. 

It was a tiny thing but I loved Jen straightening the mic after Wong made his very quick escape. I don’t think the are many actress who can successfully go from Jen’s real fear at being attacked from behind to her remembering her powers. 

5 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I can understand why Bukowski would waive the jury in this case-they're not going to have any sympathy for the fool who would spend $175k that he probably did not have on a delusion.  Which is why I am surprised that the defendant elf did not demand a jury trial.  The jury would have hated the plaintiff.  Also, Bukowski's only going to get about 2/3 of his money back after attorney's fees, assuming the elf has that kind of money, which she probably doesn't, so I don't know why the firm took the case in the first place.

What actually bugs me is the judge sentencing a defendant in a civil case to jail time on a criminal matter without due process.  It's ridiculously absurd to conflate civil and criminal trials in an otherwise enjoyably absurd legal show.

I wondered about this, too.  I wonder how Jen was able to present her proposal to the parole board before they rendered their decision.  I also believe that Wong should have been sworn in before giving his testimony, but there was no cut between his sudden appearance and his giving evidence.

Having a semi-grateful friend in the DA's office would be useful to the firm and they probably scoped out the elf to make sure she could pay her debts.

As I understand it, judges, even civil judges have a good bit of discretion over who they will or won't toss into jail for contempt.  Honestly the elf is lucky the judge just gave her 60 days as an afterthought.  A full trial would involve charges of identity theft and fraud against the court which could have result in really serious prison time.

As I recall it, Iran does not have diplomatic relations with the USA.  If the Iranian ambassador to Venezuela came into the USA and committed murder, he'd have no diplomatic immunity. 

The parole board hearing wasn't an actual criminal or civil trial.  No swearing in needed.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, jacehan said:

She wasn't a diplomat from New Asgard, she was a diplomat to New Asgard from Alfheim.

Yep. Or technically, the daughter of an elfin diplomat. 

1 hour ago, jacehan said:

So it would be the equivalent of the US ambassador to France committing a crime in the UK and expecting diplomatic immunity because of it.

Which is why Runa tried that "Asgard is not a place, it is a people" creative interpretation to bring her diplomatic immunity with her. =)

I think from episode 2 onwards, Jen's been wearing baggy suits, big enough to accommodate the size change. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Why would Megan Thee Stallion need a superhuman lawyer? I suppose so another superhuman doesn't try to impersonate her. 

Or, are we to think that Megan Thee Stallion is so awesome because she has superpowers? Clearly her power is awesomeness, if so.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Was Jen also was hired to also represent victims of superheroes/villains? 

Or did Megan Thee Stallion just come to Jen's office after the trial to ask Jen to represent her in a case against Runa using Megan's shape to swindle Pug and/or "so another superhuman doesn't try to impersonate her"?

Even if we never see Megan Thee Stallion on the show again, does Jen have to clear new clients with her boss?

I do love how Stage 4 has really just thrown up their hands and said "anything goes!" and have just doubled down on the comic book craziness. Will we get a mentally ill man with DID being possessed by a creepy ancient Egyptian moon god fighting a death cult, or will we get Megan Thee Stallion twerking with Jennifer Walters after a Light Elf shape shifter was using her powers to scam dude bros? It could be anything! They've really gone hard on the comic book-ness of the MCU and how much magic and aliens and such have become a part of life, and I really love it. This show is such a blast and Tatiana is just as great as I knew she would be.

The scene with all of the MRA assholes complaining about the existence of a female superhero was both hilarious and sad, because its so on point for how those types really react to any female superhero, including this one. 

This was my favorite episode yet, both the A and B story were great and they are using the fourth wall breaks just right. Not too much or too little, just enough to keep the running jokes flowing without getting intrusive. Having to deal with cases like a shape shifting elf using her powers to scam people is exactly what I want from a superhero law school, and I am glad that Jennifer got a win getting Emil out of jail. I hope that his rehabilitation is real, although with Thunderbolts on the way, we know that this isn't the last time we will see the Abomination. 

Wong certainly has one hell of a resume, from Target Associate to Sorcerer Supreme. Wong is, as always, one of the smartest guys in the MCU, peacing out the second someone mentioned that breaking someone out of jail is very much illegal. 

"Thor's inspirational speeches are not admissible in court." 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Despite the firm trying to pigeonhole her as head of the superhuman law division, Jen could probably represent whatever client wants to pay her.

There's no reason to for Light Elf to sign the contract in her Megan Thee Stallion form.

There's no reason Jen would pledge to kill for the Light Elf, but as a fan of Megan Thee Stallion she might. 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I don't tend to think too much about law stuff in law shows, especially comedies.

But I think a jury actually is likely to be more sympathetic to Bukowski than a judge who may not even know who the heck Megan Thee Stallion is in any meaningful way beyond "some celebrity." (And yes, the notion that an assistant district attorney would have $175k in disposable income to lavish on a girlfriend is less believable than gamma-powered rage monsters.),

I think it's a safe assumption that the elf has at least some of the $175k she scammed from Bukowski, but also proceeds from potential other scam victims and also her own inherent money from being a Light Elf diplomat/child of a diplomat/whatev. 2/3rds of a loaf is better than none.

Win or lose, the firm gets to build a rep for dealing with superhuman law by taking the case. So it would be a loss leader.

The judge could hold the light elf in civil contempt of court for impersonating him, which could include fines or jail time. I wasn't paying too close attention, but that's what I believe he did. If it were meant to be a criminal sanction, there would have to be charges brought by a prosecutor.

• Love 2

Oh my god, I didn't realise Dennis' last name is Bukowksi. That explains his toxic attitudes and how he reflects every online male's worst and most misogynistic views. I had the displeasure of reading Post Office a while back, and can totally see why that guy is held up as a paragon of writing by a certain type of man.

Just another fun gag in this show that is really getting off on tweaking the noses of MRA types and those outraged YouTube videos that will definitely prove how women will cause your movie studio to go bust. Seeing them even more outraged, arguing that they never actually said the things that the show perfectly mimicked, then arguing that this attitude from Marvel will just alienate people more? Beautiful.

I enjoy the fourth wall breaks a lot, and the more meta they get, the better. Jen arguing that this isn't a cameo of the week show, even though there are cameos every week, was funny.

Also loved this bit:

"After the break, She-Hulk will be giving us her diet and exercise tips."

"I'm sorry, what?"

Because, of course that's what vapid interview TV would expect her to talk about. Why else have a woman on if it's not to talk about how she keeps herself pretty?

Wong is fun. Him having the ultimate 'talk to the hand' exit is always going to be funny, and Benedict Wong is so great with the deadpan reactions.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Like 1
  • Love 14
On 9/1/2022 at 1:30 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Looks like those thugs that tried to take on Jen were after her blood and seem to be working for a mysterious someone.  I wonder who it could be?!

I watched all three episodes with my kids yesterday and really enjoyed it, but this is the only part I am not sure about. I was really hoping this would just be Marvel's attempt at a lawyer show without having some kind of season long villain arc. 

I love all of Jen's fourth wall breaks, especially the one talking about how the show isn't going to be full of cameos and then there's Megan Thee Stallion, Renee Elise Goldsberry, and Benedict Wong all in one episode, heh.

I laughed at how quick Jen was to testify that yes, her former coworker is in fact delusional enough to think he's dating a celebrity. Runa trying to use "Asgard is a people, not a place" as a defense was great, as was Wong immediately opening a portal and leaving the parole hearing as soon as he was told it was a crime to break someone out of prison.

YouTube videos and the comment section being full of MRA trolls is sadly accurate, as is the news anchor saying Jen will talk about her diet and exercise routine instead of asking her about anything that actually matters. It's not even a parody at this point, it's just real life.

Jen initially panicking when she was attacked before remembering she can change into She-Hulk was a nice touch. Whoever those guys are don't seem to be the brightest, but I'm sure we haven't seen the last of them. 

This show has the best mid-credit scenes.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, phalange said:

Whoever those guys are don't seem to be the brightest, but I'm sure we haven't seen the last of them. 

They are on the same level as Track Suit Mafia members from Hawkeye

• Like 1
On 9/3/2022 at 2:08 AM, Danny Franks said:

Also loved this bit:

"After the break, She-Hulk will be giving us her diet and exercise tips."

"I'm sorry, what?"

Oh my gosh, that made me laugh way more than it should have.  My hubby kept asking me if I was overtired.

I also asked my hubby (who is more Marvel comics savvy than I am) if Megan Thee Stallion was a character in the comics.  He looked at me and said, "I'm pretty sure she's a performer in real life."  Then later on he asked me if I had ever heard of Megan Thee Stallion before and I said, "I guess not since I thought she was a character in the comics."  You learn something new every day I guess.  😁

Anyway, this was a great episode!

• Love 2