Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Awakening

Why do writers always do this?  Make a character completely un-rehabiltate-able (i.e., chaining up their girlfriends in underground bunkers) and then try to wriggle out of it and make him just a poor, misunderstood, perfectly harmless guy?

He's not the only one.  I've never seen this many characters on one show go from face to heel and back to face in so short of a time.  Plus, how many combos have we seen working together and then later are bitter enemies and then the next day are back friends again.

• Love 1
I've never seen this many characters on one show go from face to heel and back to face in so short of a time.  Plus, how many combos have we seen working together and then later are bitter enemies and then the next day are back friends again.

These shifts happen from one episode to the next (eg. Joe almost killing Melanie and then BFFs forever; ditto for Barbie/Jim, Norrie/Melanie, Junior/Jim, Julia/Barbie, Random Mob/Jim, Rebecca/Jim, etc. etc. etc.), and even within the same episode (eg. Phil wanting to kill Big JIm and then baring his soul with his fear that they will never get out from Under the Dome).

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I loved Big Jim reminding people multiple times during the episode that he had been wrong before, the dome really is all about him.  I'm sure he will have that epiphany again next week and remind people again. 

I liked Jim saying: "I've made mistakes."    LOL!!  No Jim, you've committed murders.  Mistakes?  Really?!?

Make 'em zombies and now you have The Walking dead Breaking Bad Under the Bridge

Add a little music and ......

...The Walking Dead Breaking Bad Under The Bridge: The Musical. 

• Love 2
I liked Jim saying: "I've made mistakes."    LOL!!  No Jim, you've committed murders.  Mistakes?  Really?!?

Big Jim's murdered at least 4 people, attempted to hang Barbie (with no trial) and attempted genocide of the whole town with Rebecca.  But those aren't really all that serious.

All they would need is someone outside of the dome with a video screen (sufficiently far away that it won't get zapped) with a tape loop of Big Jim murdering Rev. Coggins (which the military witnessed and recorded) to convince everyone of Big Jim's motives. But alas, no one stays by the Dome's edge to keep tabs or tries to communicate with the outside world.  It's fucking ridiculous.

• Love 1

Big Jim surveying the damaged Miracle Makeshift Windmill...

"We'll have to find out who did this."

Why?  Who cares?  It's not like you are going to use this plot device again.

You are trapped under an impenetrable dome and you're worried about vandalism.  Oh my. 

• Love 1
Why?  Who cares?  It's not like you are going to use this plot device again.

You are trapped under an impenetrable dome and you're worried about vandalism.  Oh my.

Vandalism is a big deal in Chester's Mill -- remember when DJ Sheriff Phil disappeared for a couple of episodes and after he reappeared at the diner he stated he had been chasing vandals who had spray-painted graffiti on a bridge.

• Love 1

I'm surprised Rebecca had time to go on the vandalism beat.  Doesn't she have a ton of science projects she needs to tend to?  Especially the ones which will be needed for the next apocalypse of the week?  Or can all of them be solved with the giant windmill.

Let's see, the guards can't hear her and Barbie can't hear her, so she yells for them to not hurt him and yells his name a number of times.  One of the dumbest scenes of the season. 

Well now, this may not have been so dumb. Let's look at the history of life under the dome. People get shot and two days later they are fine.  The town is running out of food, then they are not, then they are again. The lake is full of methane, then it is safe to use. Tunnels appear in a school basement where there wasn't a tunnel before (heck, according to Junior, there wasn't even a basement in that part of the school).

It is actually quite smart for Julia to realize that even though Barbie couldn't hear her a few minutes ago, the soldiers may be able to hear her now.  Things change fast under the dome.  What was stupid was that she thought the soldiers would listen to her when she is trapped under an invisible dome.

Yeah, but he brought her a walkie talkie as a peace offering.  She thanked him like he brought her the Holy Grail.

Rebecca was thinking that she could use the parts from the walkie talkie to solve whatever crisis arises next.  Even if it doesn't solve that crisis, she can use the battery acid (got to be at least a 9 volt, right?) to "thin the herd" when food runs low again.

Regarding the continuing "redemption" of Junior - furthered this episode by being the beloved son that his mother and uncle want to save, I read somewhere (don't recall where) that the actor who portrays Junior - Alexander Koch - is proving quite popular with young female fans... so maybe that's why they're trying to make him a good guy.

That weird, ominous opening shot of Big Jim's chrome dome... Without a peek into his inner dialog, I'm going to assume that he thinks this is why the dome has chosen him.

Okay. Now I'm wondering if we're watching Big Jim's dream while he's in a coma--like "Under the Dome" is what is being thought about under Big Jim's dome. Like Big Jim's pate is to this show as the snow globe was to St. Elsewhere.

So, based on Barbie and Julia's true love and undying devotion to each other as seen in this episode, am I correct in assuming Julia's late husband has been retconned into non-existence? Along with the dog?

Edited by shapeshifter

So, based on Barbie and Julia's true love and undying devotion to each other as seen in this episode, am I correct in assuming Julia's late husband has been retconned into non-existence? Along with the dog?

I don't care about the dead husband, but I'm firmly convinced Joe's dog is running things.  Try it out this week, whenever somebody says something like "the Dome is doing this or that" or "the Dome chose me" or "the Dome wants this" just replace "the Dome" with "Joe's doggie" and it will make more sense.

• Love 2

As I tried to watch this episode I was so distracted by Sam's missed button on his shirt. Was that some major plot point I missed- Sam dressing quickly and missing a button? Between the wardrobe malfunction and my own embarrassment at even watching this show I gave up and decided to play Candy Crush instead.

ETA: fixed stupid autocorrect.

Edited by Pixiebomb