Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: La Doña

• Start Topic

A haunting tale of an apocalypse-traumatized couple who may or may not be tormented by a haunted house; frightening memories coupled with inexplicable phenomena in the house take a toll on the couple's psyche and their relationship.

Streaming on AMC+. As always, proceed at your risk for spoilers before the airdate.

Airdate 22.09.18

I was awakened at 2.30 am by a notification that No6 was available to watch, I tried my best to watch but was again asleep after fifteen minutes or so, but far be it for me to blame the show over being woken at such a ridiculous hour. From what I can recall of what I saw, maybe deep sleep would have been the same result no matter when I watched it. I look forward to a viewing experience whilst wide awake 🤔

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 2

I actually liked this one. A lot of tension. Completely derivative of many other horror films, but still. 

Rather than rank them, I will say I liked episodes 3, 4 and 6, 2 was interesting, 1 was whatever and 5 was bad.

Overall, I would call the series unnecessary. I was hoping that the episodes would tie into the other series and give us some clue to a "big picture." To be fair, they never promised that. But I would also call this series forgettable. 

• Like 2

Comparatively, I'd say this one was the best of the six (admittedly a low bar). It was a decent, stand-alone horror story with a splash of Walking Dead. My biggest gripe was that they didn't explain what they did with the woman who owned the house after she died. Did they bury her? I'm also not clear what she died of, it seemed like she was maybe having a heart attack or something but it was triggered by Eric's outburst at the table, or so it seemed. At first it looked like she was choking and I wondered if he punched her in the throat.

I wish the show in general would steer clear of harming pets, it's something I have a hard time getting past. I felt really bad for the poor parrot.

Nothing against the episode itself but I'm getting a little tired of all the different names everyone keeps coming up with for the Walkers (except, of course, zombies). Sleepwalkers? They're really reaching now.

Overall, I would call the series unnecessary. I was hoping that the episodes would tie into the other series and give us some clue to a "big picture." To be fair, they never promised that. But I would also call this series forgettable. 

Agreed. It was an interesting concept but the execution suffered from the same lazy writing as the series proper.

• Love 3

I thought this one was boring.  I appreciate that they were trying to give us some different spins or genres on TWD, but it was hit and miss.  Really, the only ones I liked were the Groundhog Day one, and the one with the guy who studied walkers.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, iMonrey said:

My biggest gripe was that they didn't explain what they did with the woman who owned the house after she died. Did they bury her?

The couple (Eric and Idalia) buried the old lady (La Doña Alma) out back, on the grounds of the house:

• You see her fresh grave when Eric starts digging to bury the dead parrot, apparently next to her.
  • You see La Doña’s zombified corpse dig its way out of the grave at the beginning of the episode’s climax, before her spirit re-inhabits the body and casts the couple out of the house.
17 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm also not clear what she died of, it seemed like she was maybe having a heart attack or something but it was triggered by Eric's outburst at the table, or so it seemed. At first it looked like she was choking and I wondered if he punched her in the throat.

I’m a little fuzzy on La Doña’s death as well. My initial thought was Eric’s temper eruption at the table had startled her into a heart attack, but her reaction actions looked more like she had swallowed something and was choking on it.

Idalia’s vision of being strangled shortly afterwards did make me wonder, though: maybe La Doña was having to contend with a malevolent spirit of her own, and Eric’s outburst distracted her long enough for her persecuting wraith to get a good grip on her neck…?

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Nashville said:

I’m a little fuzzy on La Doña’s death as well. My initial thought was Eric’s temper eruption at the table had startled her into a heart attack, but her reaction actions looked more like she had swallowed something and was choking on it.

At one point I even entertained the idea that they had poisoned her, but I think heart attack is the right guess.  

Definitely can't have things be too clear on a TWD show.