Type keyword(s) to search

Songs you didn’t like at first but now you do

BlueSkies
  • Start Topic

I couldn't stand "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls when it first came out.  The music video played all the time, and I was like, "Who are these women, and why are they ruining some random dinner party?"  I also thought that I was too old to listen to them because I was in college.  When "Say You'll Be There" was released though, I really liked it, as well as many songs that followed, so I eventually changed my mind about "Wannabe."

Another one I hated at first was "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen.  But a friend and I used to make fun of it and sarcastically sing along with it until we knew all the words, and we grudgingly came to like it for some reason.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

Another one I hated at first was "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen.  But a friend and I used to make fun of it and sarcastically sing along with it until we knew all the words, and we grudgingly came to like it for some reason.

It's like it's whatever the opposite of familiarity breeding contempt is. Familiarity breeds...fondness?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I couldn't stand "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls when it first came out.  The music video played all the time, and I was like, "Who are these women, and why are they ruining some random dinner party?"  I also thought that I was too old to listen to them because I was in college.  When "Say You'll Be There" was released though, I really liked it, as well as many songs that followed, so I eventually changed my mind about "Wannabe."

Most Spice Girls songs I like today from the 90s but didn't as well at the time.

I guess I just associated the group with yelling teenage girls at the time. 

• Love 1

I always enjoyed the Spice Girls, thought they had some catchy tunes.  Then in 1997 when Steps hit the pop scene, their songs were so much catchier and  kids everywhere were going crazy wanting to learn the dance moves. No wonder Steps was the opening act for Britney Spears Hit Me Baby One More Time  concert tour that Summer.

I thought of another one:  "Complicated" by Avril Lavigne.  It seemed to be playing approximately every five minutes throughout 2002, and I found Avril annoying for a while.  (I liked it on Saturday Night Live when they had Amy Poehler make fun of her during the monologue of an episode that Lindsay Lohan was hosting:  "I wear black nail polish!  I'm a punk!")  I also didn't like the music video where Avril and other teens were running around trashing stores at the mall and acting like it was so hilarious.  I eventually grew to like the song and appreciate Avril's voice, though I still find some of her songs annoying ("Sk8er Boi").

• Love 1

Anytime I hear that song now I just think about how it always, always seemed to be playing on the radio when I'd get on the school bus to go home for the day. Seriously, there was a time there when, without fail, I'd get on the bus and that song had either just started playing or would play shortly after :p. 

And ha, yes, I remember the big debate over whether not she was "real punk". People got very passionate about it either way, and I was over here totally neutral on her and having no real strong opinion one way or another, LOL. 

• Love 2

The Macarena and Electric Slide bring back good times if I hear it.  Both songs weren't my cup of tea back in the day 

Even yours truly who was never a dancer was forced to participate dancing along to those songs at one time or another.  True of most kids of the 90s I think.  

• Love 2

Me Against The Music with Britney Spears and Madonna.  Didn’t like the song much at all when it came out.  Felt Madonna was trying too hard to look cool with back then the it girl, Britney.

It was on pop 2k the other day.  Song was all right 

• Love 1

I think a lot of people definitely saw Madonna as trying too hard and/or just got sick of the constant hype for the song and video.  It was presented like it would be this surefire #1 smash hit and it only went to #35 on the Hot 100.  I remember someone online comparing Madonna's look in the video to Mr. Peanut, and a friend and I would make fun of Britney's acting when she tries to kiss Madonna against the wall at the end but Madge disappears, leaving Britney with a "Where'd she go?" look on her face. I got that Britney album later for "Toxic," but eventually thought "Me Against the Music" was pretty good when it wasn't always being played or discussed.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I think a lot of people definitely saw Madonna as trying too hard and/or just got sick of the constant hype for the song and video.  It was presented like it would be this surefire #1 smash hit and it only went to #35 on the Hot 100.  I remember someone online comparing Madonna's look in the video to Mr. Peanut, and a friend and I would make fun of Britney's acting when she tries to kiss Madonna against the wall at the end but Madge disappears, leaving Britney with a "Where'd she go?" look on her face. I got that Britney album later for "Toxic," but eventually thought "Me Against the Music" was pretty good when it wasn't always being played or discussed.

Yeah.  Madonna fan here.  Listened to most of Finally Enough Love recently.  Despite a twenty plus year age difference #1 sex goddess to me in my lifetime.  Belong to a fan forum of hers.

That being said she’s certainly had her cringe worthy moments imo.   I thought that about this song at the time but hearing it today it didn’t sound that bad 

Edited by BlueSkies

I have a lot of Madonna songs, though most of them are through like 2000 because in general I tend to go back to earlier eras in music now (probably because I'm old).  It seems like now artists collaborate with each other all the time so the entertainment news media doesn't tend to hype it to death like they did to Madonna and Britney (or Mariah and Whitney when they did their duet, that one also didn't fare as well as expected).

5 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I have a lot of Madonna songs, though most of them are through like 2000 because in general I tend to go back to earlier eras in music now (probably because I'm old).  It seems like now artists collaborate with each other all the time so the entertainment news media doesn't tend to hype it to death like they did to Madonna and Britney (or Mariah and Whitney when they did their duet, that one also didn't fare as well as expected).

Yeah I'm subscribed to a channel on YouTube cicconna which has many Madonna media/entertainment report clips from the 80's to the 2000's.  While entertainment shows like Access Hollywood and ET are still around I have no idea what is at the center of it these days.  It doesn't feel like it does 20 years ago.

I like Carly Rae Jepsen but Lady Gaga's 1st two albums from like 2009/2010 ish are the last sort of pop music I listen too.  The Fame and Born This Way I liked.  Not so much her output since then 

I know it couldn't have been all THAT much because most stations are playing Christmas music at that time and the song didn't even make the Hot 100, but in December 2003, I felt like "The Trouble With Love Is" by Kelly Clarkson was the only song playing, and it annoyed me greatly.  My friend and I were suffering from Kelly fatigue, which was weird because we were happy with her victory on Idol, and I got really excited when I first heard "A Moment Like This" on the radio.  (And one reason Avril Lavigne bugged me back then was when she had accused Kelly of copying her style because Kelly wore a tie and I think a men's hat while performing "Natural Woman" on Idol.)  It wasn't Kelly's fault that the powers that be felt they needed a constant media blitz to try to ensure her success, but we were still like, "Ugh, her again" after a while.  I also never really warmed up to her first single not associated with the show, "Miss Independent," because I know what they were going for--that you should be willing to open yourself up to love, etc.--but I thought the lyrics were a little snotty about independent women.  (This also wasn't Kelly's fault because she wasn't getting to record her own songs yet, at least not as a single.)  But eventually the fatigue wore off and I bought her debut album like a year after it came out and found "The Trouble With Love Is" to be a perfectly good heartbreak song.  I never hear it except on my iPod, and it was only hearing "Miss Independent" on Music Choice the other day that reminded me of any of this.

(edited)

I thought this song and Aladdin were cheesy as anything when I was younger.  It was kind of an unescapable a song.  But yeah I like the song now.  It's a good one.  When I overtake personal obstacles or just have to change things up I have that feeling Its a whole New World 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 3

In 5th (?) grade, I bought the self-titled album by Heart and would listen to it all the time.  However, one song I just didn't care for was "These Dreams" (which I think was the album's most succesful song on the charts).  I would always complain that stuff like "I search for the time on a watch with no hands" and walking through glass without getting cut was too weird.  My older sister tried to explain that this was intentional, because a lot of times dreams don't make sense of course, but I just didn't get it or care.  It took years for me to finally come around on the song.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 8/1/2023 at 5:38 AM, KWalkerInc said:

In 5th (?) grade, I bought the self-titled album by Heart and would listen to it all the time.  However, one song I just didn't care for was "These Dreams" (which I think was the album's most succesful song on the charts).  I would always complain that stuff like "I search for the time on a watch with no hands" and walking through glass without getting cut was too weird.  My older sister tried to explain that this was intentional, because a lot of times dreams don't make sense of course, but I just didn't get it or care.  It took years for me to finally come around on the song.

It's also one of the few songs that has Nancy Wilson, not Ann, singing lead vocals.

Maybe I heard this song before.  If I did I'm sure I dismissed it.

I definitely recall Hilary Duff but just thought of her as a sort of generic Disney product way back when.  But I've heard this song more than once on satellite radio the pop 2000s station and its pretty good