Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E04: A New Home for Babs

• Start Topic

"When Babs is released from the hospital, Whitney, Glenn and Hunter must scramble to find a place for her to live; with the wedding quickly approaching, tensions between Jessica and her fiancé heat up."

• Applause 1

Another snooze fest.  I guess this answer explains my Tal question from earlier.  Why does Whitney think her roommates are never gonna move out?  Why does Whitney’s dog seem to interact with everyone more than it does Whitney? It always seems to look at Whitney like Who the hell are you?  Again Whitney is the pillar of strength her family needs as she breaks down constantly with Hunter comforting her and having to tell her to reserve the room if the other people don’t want it.  I see Buddy barely showed up to get his little paycheck.  He looks so over this shit not that I blame him.  Did they really have to replay that pathetic display outside of Bab’s window? Again, Bab’s stroke shouldn’t be the center of every episode although at least they used old footage and weren’t sticking a camera in the poor woman’s face.

• Love 10

I’ve always enjoyed Whitney’s parents and I wish them well. Considering there are only 3 comments in the live thread, I can’t imagine this show will be picked up again next year.   Does Whitney comprehend  what her father is going through?  You can see the pain and stress in his face.  Instead she seems to want praise for the fabulous job she does setting up her moms assisted living apartment.  😑 

• Love 8

I haven't finished watching the episode, but I am amused that the Thores thought you could just pick out your preferred assisted living situation and move right in.  What dopes.  I also love the fact that they choose their convenience (avoiding a 45-minute drive) over Babs' doctor's recommendation.  I realize 45 minutes is a long way to go every day (remind me, what was Glenn's commute time?) but if she's only going to be there a month or so, I'd think they could bite the bullet.  Especially since Babs' doctor might have been able to pull strings to get her into the facility he recommended.

What a bunch of innocents.  Who think they know everything.

BTW in Charleston WV ten years ago a double in the best assisted living facility in town cost $5000/month, not counting therapies, and was not covered by Medicare or excellent private health insurance.

• Love 6

I’m surprised Whit was able to fit so much into that suite.  The diagrams on the website do look much bigger.  It turned out nice though. Based on my experience, residents in AL don’t spend as much time in their rooms as you might think.  They are in the dining room, activities room, PT, tv room, patio, etc.  I guess Babs will be in her suite if her family is there visiting tough.  

I liked how the poodle reacted to Lenny.  Hopefully, that’ll be a good fit.  

I like pets, but if someone insisted that I have a dog in my wedding….id shut them down pretty quick, regardless if it was my fiancé or friend.  UNLESS, they were paying for the entire thing.  Lol

I think Whitney is a very emotional person.  Glenn is more pragmatic. They deal with the stress of Babs’ crisis differently.  She just wants her mom to be happy again.  Sadly, that’s not always possible.  I sure hope Babs has a good recovery.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I turned this off after seeing Whitless in those horrendous black leggings pulled all the way up to her boobs, with the print top tucked in. Feast your eyes, Frenchie!

What happens when Lenny falls off the wagon? Whit will have, what, a cat and 3 big poodles to care for?

• Love 3

This show was originally about a big, fat single girl living in Greensboro and all the trials and tribulations of trying to slim down and navigate her way through life as someone struggling with her weight and various methods to gain control of her life. 

How far we have come. Is there even a mention of her weight, what she's eating or any milestones or setbacks on this journey? Nope, not a freakin' word. Instead it's about her parents, her high school friends and her trainer what's her name who she's gone in to business with yet we never see any business going on. Oh, yeah, let's throw Lenny in to the mix for fun because we aren't all bored shitless already. 

Time to cancel. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 7
  • Love 12

3 big poodles to care for

Three? I only know of two - Goose and Chester (the one that Lenny is hoping to adopt from last night). Who's the third?

Also what's up with Whitney trying to give away all her "beloved" cats. She has Henchy bunking with Baby at rehab and she tried to get Hunter and her father to take one of the others. 

I am amused that the Thores thought you could just pick out your preferred assisted living situation and move right in. 

I think a lot of people think that, especially if they have some money and/or decent health insurance. Until you have really had to look into it, I think people just assume care is readily available. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Why does Whitney’s dog seem to interact with everyone more than it does Whitney? It always seems to look at Whitney like Who the hell are you?

I thought exactly the same thing!!  The dog connected to Lenny.  Too bad she did not let him have her.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Another snooze fest.  I guess this answer explains my Tal question from earlier.  Why does Whitney think her roommates are never gonna move out?  Why does Whitney’s dog seem to interact with everyone more than it does Whitney? It always seems to look at Whitney like Who the hell are you?  Again Whitney is the pillar of strength her family needs as she breaks down constantly with Hunter comforting her and having to tell her to reserve the room if the other people don’t want it.  I see Buddy barely showed up to get his little paycheck.  He looks so over this shit not that I blame him.  Did they really have to replay that pathetic display outside of Bab’s window? Again, Bab’s stroke shouldn’t be the center of every episode although at least they used old footage and weren’t sticking a camera in the poor woman’s face.

I saw only a snippet of that episode (first time in years I watched any of this flaming pile of dog sh*t). I got irritated when the group was outside with their grade school project and Whitney was vid calling with the group and Babs. Babs told the group  "I love you " and Shitney deemed it necessary to tell the group  "She says she loves you."  I thought  Babs was perfectly understandable.  There was NO reason to repeat what she said. 

• Love 5

So Buddy had an addiction problem and so did Tal and also Lennie. We know Whitney does, guess it's just a matter of birds of a feather flocking together.

Did ya'll notice the dog hair all over Whitney when she was cuddling with Tal when he was buttering her up to ask her if he could move in.

So is the world so tiny that the only person Whitney could think to be her caregiver/assistant is good ole Lennie? Did he sign on a multiyear contract so they have to use him every season lol

Her dad seems to have aged a lot and seems frailer this season. Hopefully she gets more Walmart commercials so she can support them since shes' DEMANDING her dad quit working.

Edited by LEILANI2
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

This show was originally about a big, fat single girl living in Greensboro and all the trials and tribulations of trying to slim down and navigate her way through life as someone struggling with her weight and various methods to gain control of her life. 

How far we have come. Is there even a mention of her weight, what she's eating or any milestones or setbacks on this journey? Nope, not a freakin' word. Instead it's about her parents, her high school friends and her trainer what's her name who she's gone in to business with yet we never see any business going on. Oh, yeah, let's throw Lenny in to the mix for fun because we aren't all bored shitless already. 

Time to cancel. 

All true. The closest thing to actual exercise I noticed was a final stretch as Lenny finished videotaping.  There's no way on earth her weight hasn't caused physical issues to arise, but that reality wouldn't be 'fabulous' so it's ignored.    She absolutely must have a ma-yun every season so Lenny must have figured hey he could use a few bucks. There is no French man. 

I bailed after 5 minutes last week but watched this episode off & on, and what strikes me is the shameless exploitation of Babs' condition.  It's obviously the major storyline of the season.  Did that event decide there would be another season?  If so, wow.  But I see she's getting metal braces, isn't that exciting?   

The barnacles are obviously some old friends that agreed to hire on while they're filming.  Geez she didn't even know Ashley was pregnant yet she's the keeper of the gender secret?   I thought Tal owned a house, I must have missed how they explained why he's moving in. Did they really need to replay that old scene of her telling Buddy to get the hell out?  I was just a bit shocked that she said she sleeps till 11am, do any of you know anyone who does that?  If she's able to make a living online after the show inevitably ends, good for her. I guess.  There really is no redeeming value for this show, it has no purpose.

• Applause 4
  • Love 1

I thought Tal owned a house, I must have missed how they explained why he's moving in.

They explained it in last night's episode. He bought a condo, then sold it and has been living in a rental apartment for the past year. His lease is up and he asked Whitney what she though about him moving back in while he figures out what he wants to do next. That's why they showed the old scene of her kicking Buddy out. 

I was just a bit shocked that she said she sleeps till 11am, do any of you know anyone who does that?

I do. I'm wired to be up later and sleep in. I've never been a morning person. That said, I'm semi-retired and work really flexible hours, so sleeping in really doesn't present a problem for me. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Snarkastikate said:

I was just a bit shocked that she said she sleeps till 11am, do any of you know anyone who does that? 

I'm old af, retired,  and can sleep as late as I want to,  but by 11, my butt is in the gym lifting weights,  followed by a  2 mile swim.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I think the show is about Whit, a very large person, living her life.  Contrary to the title of the show, it’s  about all facets of life, not just the fab parts.  I think the problem is that it’s just not as fresh anymore.   But, that can be said for most reality shows.  Real housewives franchise is way past its expiration date, imo.  Then you have the most annoying show right now on Bravo, Southern Charm.  Ugh…..After much overload, I finally gave up on 90 Day Fiancé in all forms, including The Single Life.  I still tolerate Big World Little People.  Lol   What’s the saying……Familiarity breeds contempt.  Lol

I like to sleep until 10:00 one day a week, but I usually wake up on the weekends at 6 or 7 and can’t get back to sleep. I hate it when that happens.  I don’t fault anyone for sleeping late, though.  Sleep is very important. Whit says she drinks a lot all day. Does she mean coffee?  Maybe that’s why she’s up late.   I don’t get people who get up real early in the mornings.  Most of my friends do and then start texting me.  🥴  Not  good. 

Why do you think Whit is really getting braces?  I laughed when Hunter said it was bizarre to see full braces on an adult.  

Have any of you seen a photo of Glenn when he was very young?  Omg!  You would not believe it.  It’s on line.  It’s a photo of him, Babs and little Hunter.  He is incredibly handsome.  I can’t post it here. Will have to find proper spot.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Whitney 'decorates' like a lot of tv people: stand back, telling everyone else what to do, while sighing like you're working hard.

Im glad they touched a bit on how difficult it is to find help for older, ailing family members, but the reality for non-rich people is much bleaker. They're getting more help for Babs, than I've seen or experienced.  The hospital basically releases the person and says "good luck!"  While family members scatter in a game of 'not me!'.  It doesn't make for fun tv viewing for me. Just makes me stressed, but Of course I wish them the best.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Well, I'm glad Babs' family won't be inconvenienced by a long drive to go see her every day.  As SunnyBeBe says, though, Babs may not be spending a lot of time in her room.  If she's getting intensive therapies and if her facility requires her to show up in their dining room for meals, she probably will use her room mostly for sleeping.  It will be nice for her family, however.

I'm also glad to see Whitney's dog being more comfortable with people than she was earlier.  Wasn't the dog's name French for "poodle" or something equally pretentious?  This is the same dog, right?

About Whitney's braces:  She's finally getting a hint about her beaver front teeth.  I don't understand how braces are going to fix them unless the braces include chains that pull those buck teeth back up into her gums.  She specifically said that those two teeth were the reason for the braces--I hope someone will explain how braces are going to help.

• Love 2

I wonder if the ratings were impacted due to the time change this season.  In my area, it’s always aired at 9:00 p.m.  before.  Now, it’s 10:00.  Due to that, my mom doesn’t watch anymore.  That’s past her bedtime.  Lol

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mothra said:

About Whitney's braces:  She's finally getting a hint about her beaver front teeth.  I don't understand how braces are going to fix them unless the braces include chains that pull those buck teeth back up into her gums.  She specifically said that those two teeth were the reason for the braces--I hope someone will explain how braces are going to help.

Yeah, don't dentists normally just 'reshape' teeth like that? I had a tiny chip in one of my front teeth, and they just filed it down. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Yeah, don't dentists normally just 'reshape' teeth like that? I had a tiny chip in one of my front teeth, and they just filed it down. 

I would think - braces aren't going to make her teeth smaller. Also per the previews, I think the braces were on her bottom teeth - that doesn't make any sense at all unless they are somehow moving the bottom teeth to make more space for the top ones to not jut out so much?

Then again, very little on this show actually ever makes sense to me, so...

• Love 4

Re:  the promised premise of this show.  I thought the "Fabulous" intended to convey the idea that although our gal is big and fat, she is able to be fabulous.  The problem imo is that Whitney is unable or unwilling to stick with anything long enough to become fabulous at it.  Well, there is another problem, too:  the things she wants to do are things (like mountain climbing) where her size really does make success improbable.

She engaged in ballroom dancing one time, and I think that would be a wonderful activity for her to pursue to demonstrate fabulosity.  She already has dance training and should be able to learn the steps for the dances required for competitions.  And the costumes and makeup *are* fabulous.  She would have to get into condition, of course; those dances are physically demanding (ever watch a couple do the two-step?), but the show could let us see her progress, culminating in her participation in a low-level competition as the season finale.

There must be other things she's attempted *one time* that, had she stuck with it, could have led to success despite her size.  She could probably learn to ski, with special instruction, for example.  Does she swim?

Everything she does, she does half-assed.  Even No Body Shame campaign sort of faded away, and we haven't see other fat-pride activists wanting to work with her for a long time now.

She doesn't want to be fat and fabulous.  She wants to be slim and beautiful and have a boyfriend, as do many young women.  But that's not what the title of the show promises.

• Love 9
On 8/31/2022 at 10:15 AM, bichonblitz said:

Time to cancel. 

Indeed!  It has gone the way of full on soap opera.  Seriously though, she was a YouTube sensation with most folks snickering at it.

17 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Why do you think Whit is really getting braces?  I laughed when Hunter said it was bizarre to see full braces on an adult.  

My brother had braces for three years as a teen.  He refused to wear retainers afterwards.  They eventually floated right back to where they used to be.  You’d never know he had braces, ever.

Edited by kicotan
Left out something
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Mothra said:

Re:  the promised premise of this show.  I thought the "Fabulous" intended to convey the idea that although our gal is big and fat, she is able to be fabulous.  The problem imo is that Whitney is unable or unwilling to stick with anything long enough to become fabulous at it.  Well, there is another problem, too:  the things she wants to do are things (like mountain climbing) where her size really does make success improbable.

She engaged in ballroom dancing one time, and I think that would be a wonderful activity for her to pursue to demonstrate fabulosity.  She already has dance training and should be able to learn the steps for the dances required for competitions.  And the costumes and makeup *are* fabulous.  She would have to get into condition, of course; those dances are physically demanding (ever watch a couple do the two-step?), but the show could let us see her progress, culminating in her participation in a low-level competition as the season finale.

There must be other things she's attempted *one time* that, had she stuck with it, could have led to success despite her size.  She could probably learn to ski, with special instruction, for example.  Does she swim?

Everything she does, she does half-assed.  Even No Body Shame campaign sort of faded away, and we haven't see other fat-pride activists wanting to work with her for a long time now.

She doesn't want to be fat and fabulous.  She wants to be slim and beautiful and have a boyfriend, as do many young women.  But that's not what the title of the show promises.

A long time ago,  she posted a video (GoPro?) of herself swimming.  Like, 1/2 pool length of half-assed backstroke. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Mothra said:

There must be other things she's attempted *one time* that, had she stuck with it, could have led to success despite her size.  She

Let's not forget the weight lifting, becoming a personal trainer, dance class instructor, converting to Judaism, and I'm sure I'm forgetting many other fab short-lived projects. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, Snarkastikate said:

Let's not forget the weight lifting, becoming a personal trainer, dance class instructor, converting to Judaism, and I'm sure I'm forgetting many other fab short-lived projects. 

Don't forget learning French! What ever happened to the big deal of studying for the personal trainer course and exam? Did she flunk the exam?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Don't forget learning French! What ever happened to the big deal of studying for the personal trainer course and exam? Did she flunk the exam?

I don't think she ever took it.

I forgot about the Big Girl Dance Class, which she was apparently doing before the show started.  I don't know how long that lasted; she began to lose interest, I think, when having a show opened other possibilities to her, and that's a shame.  Before she faded out, it looked like that was a successful venture for her, and one which fitted the concept of the show.  I bet those women who came to her class were really hurt when she lost interest in them.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Mothra said:

I don't think she ever took it.

I forgot about the Big Girl Dance Class, which she was apparently doing before the show started.  I don't know how long that lasted; she began to lose interest, I think, when having a show opened other possibilities to her, and that's a shame.  Before she faded out, it looked like that was a successful venture for her, and one which fitted the concept of the show.  I bet those women who came to her class were really hurt when she lost interest in them.

She also wouldn't let Todd take it over, which was a shame because he seemed to enjoy it and have some ideas for keeping it fresh. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Snarkastikate said:

I about died when she said she wanted to convert and pretty much knew it was for the show. She couldn’t handle the year-long (in some cases longer) commitment as a student. Whitney wants things immediately and conversion to Judaism is quite a process — a person can even be rejected. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 8/31/2022 at 10:10 AM, Mothra said:

I haven't finished watching the episode, but I am amused that the Thores thought you could just pick out your preferred assisted living situation and move right in.  What dopes.  I also love the fact that they choose their convenience (avoiding a 45-minute drive) over Babs' doctor's recommendation.  I realize 45 minutes is a long way to go every day (remind me, what was Glenn's commute time?) but if she's only going to be there a month or so, I'd think they could bite the bullet.  Especially since Babs' doctor might have been able to pull strings to get her into the facility he recommended.

What a bunch of innocents.  Who think they know everything.

BTW in Charleston WV ten years ago a double in the best assisted living facility in town cost $5000/month, not counting therapies, and was not covered by Medicare or excellent private health insurance.

The thing I found odd is that there is no way in hell that Pennybyrn is a 45 minute trip, *maybe* round trip. I live about a mile from said rehab and can get from my home to the very farthest part of Greensboro in 20 mins. Granted, within a mile of their home is the preferred travel time and distance, but they sure stretched the truth there.

• Useful 8
  • Love 1
On 9/1/2022 at 3:55 PM, Snarkastikate said:

There was also belly dancing and thinking she could be a lesbian! 

• LOL 2

I forgot to ask if anyone noticed how Whitney pronounced “communities?” She put an extra “T” in there: “communtities.” Do you think it’s because she thinks it’s cute…like Atlanter? 🙄

ETA “I am confusion” WTF?

Edited by Mommygetz
Add content
  • Like 1

I am not sure how they can afford all this for Babs.  Those places are very expensive.  I remember helping my parents when they were looking into places like that for my grandmother.  Even 20 years ago, the rent on an independent living apartment was between $2000 and $3000 per month.  And that didn't include the services Babs is getting with physical therapy.  That may be one reason Glen can't retire.

• Love 1

Lennie is a grown-ass adult. If he wants a f***ing dog, he can get one. He can take the dog immediately if he wants. He doesn’t need Quitney to REQUIRE that he foster Chester for a week before committing. Not that it’s a terrible idea, but it should be Lennie’s choice regardless. I hope that is just editing! Either way I think Quitney’s a bit jealous of ‘Ol Lennie…and bitchy, but that’s another convo.

And what’s with the weird black gloves with the weirder animal print see-through shirt??

• Love 1

I wasn't clear if it was Whitney requiring the fostering or if it was the guy who brought the dog.  I know the shelter I have adopted cats from has a period where you can bring the cat or dog back if things just aren't working out for some reason.  I also signed something that said they could come and visit my house to make sure the new kitties (I adopted a pair) were settling in.  They never did, but I did email a few times with updates and pictures.  Whitney is just so bossy with everyone and everything that is none of her business that it wouldn't surprise me if she did put some sort of requirement on him.

And good for Glen for saying he was going to keep working if he wanted regardless of what Whitney wanted.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mommygetz said:

I forgot to ask if anyone noticed how Whitney pronounced “communities?” She put an extra “T” in there: “communtities.” Do you think it’s because she thinks it’s cute…like Atlanter? 🙄

ETA “I am confusion” WTF?

I'm pretty sure I also heard her say "opportuntity." She's just trying to be cute. Same with "wee" or "halloy" instead of "hello," and "dadwe" instead of "dad," or "Alasker." That's all she's been trying to do since she invaded our screens, and it's never worked.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Meow Mix said:

I am not sure how they can afford all this for Babs.  Those places are very expensive.  I remember helping my parents when they were looking into places like that for my grandmother.  Even 20 years ago, the rent on an independent living apartment was between $2000 and $3000 per month.  And that didn't include the services Babs is getting with physical therapy.  That may be one reason Glen can't retire.

They are more like $6k a month now... possibly more,  depending on your level of care/independence. 

• Useful 1
On 8/31/2022 at 10:47 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I think the show is about Whit, a very large person, living her life.  Contrary to the title of the show, it’s  about all facets of life, not just the fab parts.  I think the problem is that it’s just not as fresh anymore.  

IMO the problem is that if it's not about her trying to get healthy and live her best life while doing so (which was the original premise) then basically it's about a woman living her life.  That's not tv worthy.  I am very happy with my life but I don't flatter myself that you'd all love to watch me live it!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 9/8/2022 at 11:24 AM, Meow Mix said:

From what they have shown of her parents, I suspect they are very well prepared for retirement and there is a good chance they had long term care insurance.

I had an older friend who passed earlier this year, was the CEO of a smaller non-profit, when he retired 2 years before his death in his early 70s was making around $150k a year and had on the high-end of $2m in retirement savings. You would never know it, he lived in a modest home, although full of fine things in a nice area, drove a modest car. All of his family lived into their late 80s-early 90s, an honestly, he probably would have to if it wasn't for cancer and was financially prepared to.

Edited by John M
  • Love 1
On 9/8/2022 at 10:27 PM, princelina said:

IMO the problem is that if it's not about her trying to get healthy and live her best life while doing so (which was the original premise) then basically it's about a woman living her life.  That's not tv worthy.  I am very happy with my life but I don't flatter myself that you'd all love to watch me live it!

A tv show about my life could be marketed as an insomnia cure.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4