Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Calumet Inn

or maybe elder sister fancies herself as the new Tori Spelling running a hotel on TV

She's just as homely! Same bulgy eyes and clay nose, except crybaby had no chin and Tori has too much.

That was terrible. If I wanted to watch poor man's Kardashian sisters try to make themselves useful...well, I wouldn't want to watch that.

There were two cardio machines in the "gym" and a bunch of mats. WTF? Fighting other guests for an elliptical is a great way to relieve stress...not.

I know Ramsey is fit, good for him, but I don't think his body is that attractive and I don't want to be reminded of his junk. I don't like criticizing body appearance, but hey, he puts it out there. In a blue Speedo. Ugh.

I heard from someone who lives in the area that they were really disappointed with the ep. filming. They'd hoped that the crew staying in town would really bring business, etc. Well, turns out the crew didn't stay in Pipestone; they stayed 100 miles away in another freakin' state. Strikes me as unnecessary and wasteful.

• Love 1

What I do care about and damn well should have happened is the "General Manager" getting back paid for the two years or whatever it was and a raise.  How she took that humiliation I can't fathom, except for her being the spokesperson for the group maybe.

Ok seriously, am I the only one who has to put up with humiliation at the work place? Whether I agreed or not, I got into serious "We could fire you if we wanted" trouble and.... as galling as it is because I don't consider myself wrong, I had to apologize, promise to do better and accept a great big red mark... or stop getting a paycheck.

Have you ever known you were right and had to choke it down because you're the only one in the family working? I can TOTALLY fathom why this woman didn't quit.

• Love 9

Those two women were among the worst I've seen, inc. Kitchen Nightmares. It was still maddening at the end because they didn't seem to get it that they were being sent away -- and told to stop "fake working" when all they really wanted was attention and credit for the new changes when they hadn't earned any of it.

Maybe when they watched it they understood better. They weren't being "sent to Minneapolis" because they could "pursue their dreams again" their "talents" etc. They were being sent away because they were utterly useless and incompetent. Hopefully at some point they understood that. (But I give it as much chance as the goldfish surviving the drive there.)

It did remind me why I like Ramsey. Unlike Robert Irvine, he seems to have really good judgment about people and understands and appreciates hard work, even when someone isn't all "gussied up" or doesn't speak well. He has a very good b.s. detector and always seems to genuinely want to help. Unlike with "Restaurant Impossible" Ramsey's ego always seems on the backburner in these situations. (Surprising! given his fame and fortune.)

The weird thing was the parents, especially the father, though it seemed the mother worked crazy-hard. There was so little of them and they apparently had spent a fortune on this hotel. And yet, the (esp. dad) didn't seem angry, depressed--not even critical of the daughters who talked them into it then couldn't make the minimal effort needed to actually work there. (Those rooms were disgusting. Who knows Ramsey's coming and leaves green mold in an otherwise empty and easy to clean refrigerator?) 

Well, after reading those articles posted in this thread it all makes sense now.  The daughters were probably just told by show production to act like they were in charge of the place when it was really the parents' hotel.  Some of the drama between them and the staff was genuine but they were not really in charge so they were probably an annoyance to the staff and possibly critical of them, but not the ones really calling all the shots.  And that is one reason why the staff could talk so negatively about them and not worry so much about losing their jobs.  I'm sure the parents know how the girls are and just told the staff to ignore them and not worry that any friction would have any affect on their employment there.  They couldn't hide the fact that the two girls were useless so it really was a manufactured situation just for drama.  I think the two girls are just regular run of the mill 20 something reality show famewhores who wanted their 5 minutes of fame.  What's her name is probably up until 3:00 am posting Youtubes of herself dressed as a doll or acting like a makeup expert (they're always experts doncha know?).  Slave Mommy who cooks and dotes on them is responsible for creating two narcissists.

ETA:  And yeah, I also owned that pink suit in 1993, except mine was white, LOL.

Edited by Intuition

Those articles that she wrote in the local paper were worthless. She never accepted any responsibility and continued to passive-aggressively point out the flaws of everyone else. If what was presented by the girls was manufactured by production, then shame on them for allowing the lie. If what she says is true (the girls ACTED like they ran the hotel and were spoiled), then this isn't a case of poor editing on a reality show- it's flat out, horrible acting. I wouldn't doubt it if the real aim of the girls was to be a reality celeb.

I'm on the fence about whether the women were fake or not. I think a lot of it was true, especially the staff hating the owners. I couldn't understand why the "general manager" didn't just stay away. I kind of understand, though, because I worked in a hellish restaurant and the other staff becomes bonded when the manager and owners suck. But I feel in my heart of hearts that the two daughters were incredibly spoiled, immature women. It makes me sad that they can "run" a hotel.

I wish some of the staff would write something or give an interview about it. I want to know what it's really like to work there.

I stay at this haunted hotel every time I come in to Pipestone. I stayed at the Calumet this past weekend and Vanda was there during check-in, the mother is also on site and the hotel is still for sale. <br />Just heard about the episode this weekend so I watched it today.

On 8/19/2014 at 7:53 AM, Julia said:

I'm pretty sure the family can afford to have useless daughters, and that the parents just moved in so the girls wouldn't stand in the rain with their heads tipped back and drown. It takes resources to raise narcissists on that level.

Still, I'm glad for the staff.

Edited by PChopra
On 8/19/2014 at 7:53 AM, Julia said:

I'm pretty sure the family can afford to have useless daughters, and that the parents just moved in so the girls wouldn't stand in the rain with their heads tipped back and drown. It takes resources to raise narcissists on that level.

Still, I'm glad for the staff.

Wait....  So the staff & the general manager mandy are still working there...right???