Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: Fubar

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

I forgot to mention when Pope commandeered the car from the stunt guy in the commercial!

And the guy coming back to Pope with the "you're just going to leave me out here" when it seemed to be plenty of houses on the road

Watch yer at great job. Great writing. Great post. I think her confrontation with Julia was that Janine wanted Julia to be Janine. Be harder then the Boys. But that wasn’t her. She wanted a normal life. We see that at the mall at the department store Smurf would never be working there. She’s like you don’t want to rob? 

like those parents that want thier kids to play football because they played football. Julia challenged Janine on her authority Pope never did. Julia represented independence. Janine thought her being hard with her would make her harder. It backfired made her have resentment. 

smurf had to literally scrape to set them up. I truly think if Julia didn’t steal it would be different it was about loyalty which Janine valued. Baz learned his lesson. I don’t condone what she did. But when the black guy at the dealership the mechanic said he only got a certain amount and that as I pointed to in another post ruined Smurf’s reputation. And she couldn’t trust Julia. And took it out on Julia. Pope saying you don’t steal from smurf. The two kids the twins were different. Made sense why Baz and Julia would have a baby they both didn’t think nothing of stealing from smurf. Smurf had no business treating her kids like they were part of the crime gang. 

Was very interesting Baz is definitely Jays dad. Writers gave that away. She didn’t want to break Popes heart that it was Baz. She knew it was Baz. 

they show that in the bathroom when she’s laying there pregnant and she says you’re not going to say anything? That’s basically what that was. Baz expression like he knew. He had no responsibility of that. That’s why later in the show we see how Baz tries to take J under his wing. 

I know the back story dragged at times and wasn't well received, but young Julia, young Baz, young Pope, and Smurf's evolution into Ellen Barkin's Smurf was fascinating to me. I loved the casting for it. I rewatched the scene of Smurf throwing Julia out multiple times. So disturbing but well done. Wish we could have taken back some Nikki and Frankie in past seasons and Craig's biker dude's pointless scenes to tell more of the backstory or a full fledged spin-off even.

Edited by anonymiss
15 hours ago, Raja said:

But sitting at a resort without an extradition treaty, probably in Indonesia how long does $5 million USD last you? 

J would have been smart enough to invest it eventually. He wouldn’t live off it longer than he had to. And it’s a lot cheaper to live in Indonesia.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

Judging by J’s reaction after he poisoned Penny it seemed like he really did love her.  I don’t think she would have said anything.  

I read it as J remembering his mother on the day she died. I thought Penny was being used by J the entire time. 

• Like 5
  • Love 4

After watching the finale, it made me realize how much I wish Smurf was still around so she could have gotten her comeuppance too. I always felt like killing off Smurf with several seasons left was very premature and left a void in the show, but seeing how the finale played out just made me realize how much more powerful J's revenge would have been if Smurf was still around to get screwed over by him. Even though none of the uncles stepped up to help Julia, it was Smurf that went out of her way to destroy Julia's life in every way imaginable. It would have been so satisfying to see J pull the rug out from under Smurf in the finale and completely blind side her. Smurf was all about the power and the wealth and possessions. Imagine the show ending with J taking everything from under her, peacing out before she realizes what happened, and is left with absolutely nothing (including her boys, since they would either still meet the same fate they did in the finale, or as an alternate, would finally be free of Smurf's hold since J destroyed her empire). 

Anyway, I just wanted to put that out there. I did enjoy the finale though... It's just watching Smurf be an absolute monster to young Julia, who had so much potential, really made me want to see Smurf get what was coming to her. A quick bullet to the head (which she wanted) was too easy an out for the psycho. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Vince was there for Craig to show his transition. It was his breakthrough. Last season Craig was destructive Cocaine. This season he was putting it together trying to be a father to Nick. Vince was just there to keep him up and show him that he had potential to love something. 

Quick question was smurf Julia Pope more happy in the trailer? Maybe a sign of Possesion making them happy. All the trouble all the hate. All the messed up stuff started in that house. 

Loved the backstorys we needed to see who these people were and why they were who they were. 

I was also thinking how the heck Deran is planning on getting to Ren. He has to know the cops know it was him and Craig who broke Pope out, especially when they find Craig's body. Maybe Billy helps him.

Jake Weary was the MVP for me this episode. From his realization that J screwed them, to saying goodbye to Pope, to the final scene of him and Craig, he really did a great job. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

The thing is I never bought that J had any love for Penny. Coming into the season one of my lasting memories from the previous season was the catch up with Nicky, the girlfriend taken by Smurf and his stupidest uncle, breaking good and being married to a Marine. And then J goes after a Marine's wife more so than a paralegal at another law firm as they dumped the previous lawyer. So I was never having any emotions from J actually falling in love with Penny or resemblance to Julia  so that J lost when business demanded he kill her  that others are.

Edited by Raja
  • Like 1

After watching the finale, it made me realize how much I wish Smurf was still around so she could have gotten her comeuppance too. 

Good point. I always thought writing Ellen Barking out of the show in Season 4 was the biggest mistake they ever made. She was pivotal to the story and Leila George is no substitute. I agree J's larger grievance was with Smurf herself rather than his uncles, particularly Craig and Deran. In that respect his revenge against them felt hollow.

So apparently Julia was using while she was pregnant. It's a wonder J came out as normal as he did, but maybe the drugs in utero did have an effect on his mentality and made him the sociopath that he is. Maybe that part of the brain where empathy goes just never developed.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

Judging by J’s reaction after he poisoned Penny it seemed like he really did love her.

The EP said it was J falling in love with his mark so you take aligns.  I personally didn't see the in love part but I did see it as conflicted feelings when he cried over her body. 

23 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

I don’t feel J or any of the Cody men were complete sociopaths

Same. They were all hardened and cold blooded to various degrees by the life. With J, he let his hate for what his mother had become fester and drive him to his pyrrhic victory. I also got why he was so angry at all his uncles for erasing Julia from their thoughts even once they became adults and made some of their own choices. Again, I always think about that S1 birthday party for Pope when J had to remind them all it was also his mother's birthday cause it was like "Julia who?" for them. The only character I saw as any type of sociopath was Smurf. She was also a raging narcissist. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, JZone said:

After watching the finale, it made me realize how much I wish Smurf was still around so she could have gotten her comeuppance too. I always felt like killing off Smurf with several seasons left was very premature and left a void in the show, but seeing how the finale played out just made me realize how much more powerful J's revenge would have been if Smurf was still around to get screwed over by him.

Totally agree, big fuckup on the part of the producers who fired Barkin.

• Love 3

Did they fire Barkin? Or did she leave the show? 

I think all of Js emotions were there on full display why he did the con. I think all of Js emotions were there why he did the con. He grabbed his moms picture and they showed the writers gave it away. Like that was all for her. 

23 minutes ago, Craigcodybazhate said:

I’d like to think that J finds someway to give Lena some of that money. 

The Lena he wanted to kill? Doubtful.

Ironically, he didn't give a damn about his half sister and left her out there and left baby Nick fatherless with a junkie mother with a penchant for criminal activity. He has become precisely what he hated.

• Like 3

J took it all. All the money from Robberies went to J all of it. So I’m assuming anything Pope got would go to Lena. 

just kind of wierd how they left that story since It was such a big storyline of the show. 

Edited by Craigcodybazhate

That sucks what they did to Barkin. Didn’t know all that was going on. TNT is stupid to not renew the show. All that bull on T.V.  We had so much story to tell. Now I see all the backlash from fans on here. Cause the show does seem like it was rushed after not getting renewed. Damn why do all the shows not get renewed. Guess I’ll be searching for my next crime show. 

• Like 1

Watching the finale again. Everything makes sense. I was angry at J. But felt like he deserved the money and I saw his pain and felt compassion for him. That stuff with Julia was intense. Baz was clearly the dad but wanted nothing to do with J. You could see the way Baz looked at Julia when she’s there pregnant. 

also smurf gave it away when she tells Baz Julia’s pregnant like she knows. 

Back to J lots of pain there him grabbing the picture of Julia shows his motivation. The flashback with Craig about the room. Julia saying hello. No hi your not getting your room back. Everybody was cold to her. 

Pope going back to that day. He wasn’t the strong one Julia was the strong one. He should’ve done more. They were twins. He was going back and forth. That’s why he pulled him out the pool. And J saying she loved all of you. That whole episode was Julia. 

it really was a great episode. One of the best on the series. Only thing they should’ve let Craig live. He didn’t have to get Killed. By a kid in a convenient store. Also Deran didnt kill the kid back. The only one who had revenge was J. He’s the only one that wanted revenge. 

Maybe the writers were showing us a kid shot Craig and that was a symbol of Nick. Maybe I’m looking into it too much. 

Deran really stepped it up that episode. Him realizing his plan put it all in motion. Kind of weird that Nick will be J moms a junkie and no dad around. 

they didn’t have to have that storyline it could’ve been Pope dying burning down the house and freeing his brothers and J. 

Show could’ve been different from the movie. But yeah it was great. Interesting choice of song music anyone notice the song about mental health and being free as Pope is burning down the house???

weird but the writers last scene Pope in the pool dead Julia which is actually Penny laying on the pool dead they had that scene a few episodes back in the flashback. 

Pope freed his brothers and J he got shot in the shootout which lead to him dying but he was the most heroic character of the episode. He had to get his brothers together. 

They wanted J free but they didn’t want him Happy that’s what the writers did. Js revenge didn’t free him. It just put him in a prison that he can’t escape. 

when he lys next to Penny he realizes what he actually done. And first time in the series he has regret. 

So you’re saying Ellen Barkin has a smurf personality and is kinda like smurf and it was easy for Ellen Barkin to play that smurf character? 

Baz was clearly the dad but wanted nothing to do with J.

I honestly don't think Julia knew who J's father was. I think this plot point was deliberately left up in the air. When they were in the back seat and Pope asked point blank if Baz was the father Julia said she didn't know who the father was. She knew how upset Pope was that she was sleeping with Baz, I think even if it were Baz and she knew it she wouldn't tell him to keep him from getting upset again. The fact that she said she didn't know tells me she really didn't know.

It was Smurf who intimated Baz was J's father but she was obviously just trying to manipulate him. It wasn't until after Baz was dead she told him point blank his father was Baz, once neither J's mother nor Baz was around anymore to contradict her.

And I think it was deliberately left unanswered because the show wanted J to identify as Julia's son rather than Julia's and Baz's. The latter is more problematic in terms of J's motivations.

• Like 1

I monrey agreed. I stated that she didn’t want to upset Pope and let him know that Baz was the father. I think she knew it was Baz but didn’t want to tell Pope. You kind of see the way she looks at Baz and talks to him. 

I get your point but I could easily see Baz sneaking her in and having sex with her. He just seems like that type. 

But yeah it could’ve been a lot of people. 

I think that Con and how J went about getting the money. That’s Baz. One thing I will tell you. When Baz did his power move he did cut the other uncles in unlike J. So that’s definitely something that is different. 

Julia was weak and no match for Smurf but she genuinely loved her brother.   I think that was the ultimate sin of the Cody’s in J’s mind.  They never loved his mother back.  Pope was his mother’s twin.   Yes he was mentally Ill and the truth is far more complicated then J but he was likely told stories by Julia in her worst moments either high or jonesing for more drugs about Smurf who through her out and her brothers who abandoned her…..and Baz….the stories she just have told J about Baz.    Then she dies.  Heck the revenge plan may have originated with her..     and the truth is far more complicated.   But when you are that angry I don’t think it mattered to J.   

Well said Chaos. 

J was tortured. 

I can get mad about the uncles getting wronged out of thier money. 

But J got his payback and it showed they were cold to him and he was cold to them. 

the only thing is he killed Penny. And he could’ve had his 1 million and Penny. Why give that up for Revenge? 

in the end he realized Revenge wasn’t worth it. 

I just binge watched this over 2-3 weeks. 

Pretty fitting ending. Vi realize Jay gets away and some won't like that but it makes sense for the story after they all turned their back on Julia 

Two of them were just kids though and couldn't do much. 

Young pope was so great and just like old pope. 

Young smurf on the other hand like 3-4 inches taller than old smurf??

I never saw the movie. Series was really well done though

Pope is such a tortured confusing character. Deep down he knows what is right but smurfs influence never let him act on that until the end of his life releasing Jay. That want so much right for Jay and what he deserved but for popes character arc coming full circle. 

Baz dying didn't bother me. Major douche selfish horrible dad. Good riddance. 

• Like 2