Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E18: Qualifiers 4 Results

• Start Topic

Top Five:

• Merissa Beddows vs Bayley Graham: Between the two of them I figured it'd be her which I think is the right choice.
  • Acapop vs Metaphysic: Wasn't sure about this one. Don't really care either way,
  • Harper vs. Jack Williams vs Lazy Generation: I was crossing my fingers for the ventriloquist because I can't stand the other two. Still like Harper's pants, though.
  • Lily Meola vs Jannick Holste: Pretty singer w/ sob story. Shocker.
  • Lee Collinson vs Mike E. Winfield: Wasn't sure about this one, either. I don't love the comic but I found the singer especially boring last night.

I don't even know. From this crop I think it'll be Lily and Mike, but I really don't much care.

Lol...when Piff opened the box I said "He's just eating chicken"...then Piff said the same thing. Maybe I'm psychic.
I love Mr. Piffles. 
Piff's advice to the acts if they make it to Vegas: "Don't come; I don't need the competition."

Top Three:

• Mike E. Winfield vs Lily Meola vs Metaphysic

I'm gonna guess Lily. Maybe Mike. I hope not Metaphysic.

Bleh. America doesn't listen to me, I guess. A little surprised it was the comedian over the singer but between the two of them I do think he was the better option.

Next week looks like a better lineup than this week's dreck. Looking forward to the Mayyas and the pole dancer.

• Love 3

Riverdance - Their name had me gripping my rosary beads in anger at the idea of anyone else walking on water, as I claim various faiths only when wanting to look down on others. I don't get the wild reaction for this, it seemed to be a simple routine that gets perceived as impressive because many people are doing it. 'Clogging' the airwaves, but it was over within 90 seconds.

Piff The Magic Dragon - I figured the dog was taking a while to solve the Rubik's cube because his "brain food" was chicken instead of the ground up mealworms and Tofurky we'll all be forced to eat soon, but the reveal of the actual trick was a nice surprise for once. The attention whoring woman mugging for camera time added nothing to this.

Results:
Mike Winfield making it through was a nice surprise on a show that requires fellating the judges to get any praise. The taller member of Metaphysic has a default expression of "it's in the bag for us", unless I'm, like him, also projecting.

I've got nothing, this show was incredibly uneventful compared to the usual void every results show is. Next week looks tolerable, dare I say.

• Like 1

I thought I knew something about stretching something past the point of comfort as last year's national jelqing champion, but these results shows are brutally long for what is roughly 7 minutes of real material.

The Riverdance opening seemed ill fitting and once again convinced me every man involved was gay, since the sound of tap shoes send some sort of signal to the gaydar, yet the Kpop boy bands who dance, wear makeup, and share a dorm where they spend the night tickling each other and giggling doesn't raise any suspicions (OK, maybe not that last part). In the modern attention-based economy, for the kids who start gasping for air if the next video on their YouTube playlist takes 2 seconds to buffer, saying this tour won't start until January means it will be forgotten the second they get off the stage, which it was no matter which demographic was watching.

The 3 minute recap from last night felt like a life review, since I'm guessing more than a few people died in their sleep while watching yesterday. The time wasting segment of asking judges questions was numbing. Unless she was a paid stooge, I don't know what a middle aged woman would be doing looking at Sofia's Instagram stories and I don't know why Sofia would be posting them anyways. Instagram should be for 18 year olds and those who want to manipulate 18 year olds, which explains why my vocabulary is extremely large only when thinking of synonyms for search queries related to father issues.

I never liked Piff and his tricks are usually the magic drag-on, as he makes 5 minutes feel like 20, though the trick was OK.

Explaining who got eliminated and when like I'm quietly discussing athlete stats on PGA commentary is unneeded, so for the final 2, I don't see why anyone would vote for the boring opera act, even though I know the real answer is that they didn't, as votes in any scenario don't do anything, so there is no need to mold my personality (and fighting stance) out of delusional loyalty to an on-screen character. Anyway, it was surprising to see Mike go through, though I expected Lily to win and then like an old choose your adventure computer game, Mike to claim racism and the camera cuts to Mike holding the million dollar check, which of course would make me freak out and demand that money go to bailing out a crooked CEO.

Next week looks good, which looking up in my AGT to English dictionary means that it may be slightly tolerable when drowned out by 4 Xbox consoles on at the same time.

• Like 1

Spent 17 minutes on this, which would have been 10 but I watched Riverdance and Piff. He demonstrates the right way to combine humor and magic. It also doesn't hurt that Mr. Piffles is adorable.

So the mediocre-but-not-as-awful-as-the-other-comedians goes through, along with the fancy deepfake technology. Meh. I predict Mayyas will get one of the slots next week so the other 10 acts are competing for that last spot.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Riverdance demonstrated disciplined excellence in superior fashion, as always.  What a  refreshing change from the night before on AGT.  I thought the music was particularly beautiful.  I had to check, and yes, they are coming to my town.  I am so there.

Piff was in excellent form.  He was reveling in his command of the AGT stage, and especially in mocking Howie.  Here, Howie, drink dog piss!  never change, my dragon friend.  I also very much enjoyed the curve ball Howie threw at Piff.  Arnold Palmer, indeed.  I guess Piff doesn't hang out on golf courses. 

Very pleasantly surprised that the GB got cut.  Then again, another utterly unworthy got that spot.  'Twas ever thus. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Riverdance was great and Piff actually has grown on me.  I liked Piff's advice to the contestants, "Don't come, I don't need the competition."  I don't think he needs to worry about competition from the contestants this season.

I had predicted Lily and Metaphysic to go through.  Well, I was pleasantly suprised that Lily did not go through since I didn't think she was anything special and Heidi's GB is no more!  I would've liked to seen Merissa Beddows go through instead of Mike Winfield.  Mike wasn't funny at all and repeated jokes from his audition.  While I enjoyed Metaphysic, I question what else can they do to up their game?  Adding Heidi and Sophia to the mix isn't going to add anything.  These two acts aren't going to win, but at least they get more tv time.

Edited by rr2911
  • Love 2

While watching the ultra-professional RiverDance, I was waiting for Simon to buzz them.

I'm not a huge Piff fan, but he was especially good last night. The Rubic's bit was a nice twist and I enjoyed it. I also agree with Neet that the mugging woman served no purpose and was not welcome. I'd rethink seeing his Vegas show if she's on stage during it.

I've already forgotten who was put through.

ETA: I was especially irritated by the ventriloquist's hyper ADHD rabbit puppet that didn't stop shaking and head bobbing the entire time. The guy's hand must have been exhausted by the end of the show.

Edited by PBnJay
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, PBnJay said:

ETA: I was especially irritated by the ventriloquist's hyper ADHD rabbit puppet that didn't stop shaking and head bobbing the entire time. The guy's hand must have been exhausted by the end of the show.

Yeah, that was quite distracting. Either the puppet has restless leg syndrome or the guy was trying to get some final attention before being cast off, which given how quickly the audience moves on, I can't blame him. I don't know what a professional ventriloquist's career could look like if not getting a Vegas show, since the traditional route of TV fame is dead and short form content like TikTok is worthless in terms of audience loyalty. (since people swipe at a hundred or more videos a day with no attachment to anybody)

• Like 1

It was a treat to see Riverdance. I will never forget going to see it at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle many moons ago (can it be 25 years?).

I was blown away by the incredible rhythm from those pounding feet filling the theater. Imagine my shock and disillusionment when I learned that those percussive foot sounds were pre-recorded. 

No wonder I am skeptical of all performances, in reality competition shows and sadly in real life as well.

• Mind Blown 3

I believe the last 2 spots.for.the final will be between Mayyas (Lebanese dancers), Kristen Cruz (singer), Aubrey Burchell (singer) and Kristy Sellars Australian poll dancer).

Assume.the Mayas are a shoo-inn and, between the other 3, I hope Aubrey Birchell goes through 🤞🙏

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, TCubillas said:

Does anyone know.what happened to Sam Cieri of Nicotine Dolls? I though he got.voted through to the live shows?

This show has a history of contestants with notable auditions seemingly disappearing before the next round. Presumably, he didn't make it through the mysterious selection process in Simon's house. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TCubillas said:

Does anyone know.what happened to Sam Cieri of Nicotine Dolls? I though he got.voted through to the live shows?

Nobody was voted through to the live shows. About 180 made it past the initial auditions, then they decided to forgo the competitions and just picked 55 to go to the next level. Weak.

8 hours ago, Superclam said:

This show has a history of contestants with notable auditions seemingly disappearing before the next round. Presumably, he didn't make it through the mysterious selection process in Simon's house. 

Thanks, superclam! I recall that all 4 judges voted him (Nicotine Dolls) through which makes his disappearance even more of a mystery. 

46 minutes ago, Sox03 said:

Nobody was voted through to the live shows. About 180 made it past the initial auditions, then they decided to forgo the competitions and just picked 55 to go to the next level. Weak.

Gotcha. Very weird. Especially since Sam (Nicotine Dolls) probably received some of the most enthusiastic responses from both the judges and fans. Thanks.

I don't watch this show that much because I don't have time. But when I do, it seems they have several competitors from different countries. It irks me a bit. Why don't these people compete in their own countries? I am sure they have variations of the show in their own countries. Has anyone from the show ever said anything about this. The show is called AMERICA'S Got Talent, not the WORLD'S Got Talent.

Also there are 4 judges. Not one of them American. One from England, one from Germany, one from Canada and one from Columbia.

Edited by BeeBop88
  • Love 1