Type keyword(s) to search

Poldark: 1970s Version

Milz
  • Start Topic

I had no idea there was a remake scheduled! I loved Poldark (my family always referred to the show as Poldark & Handsome). Even as a child, I thought the chemistry between Robin Ellis & Angharad Rees was off the charts.

• Love 5

I had no idea there was a remake scheduled! I loved Poldark (my family always referred to the show as Poldark & Handsome). Even as a child, I thought the chemistry between Robin Ellis & Angharad Rees was off the charts.

Yeah, they had great chemistry.

I can't figure out if Jill Townsend had no chemistry at all (saw her on an episode of Family Affair and she had that same cold, Elizabeth vibe) or she was just really good portraying Elizabeth. (I've read the books and I still don't know why Ross or Francis were attracted to Elizabeth. I get that Warleggan wanted her $$$$$$$$$$, but Francis and Ross......nope, don't get it.)

As an aside it looks like Robin Ellis has a part in the new Poldark series.

• Love 1

I also had no idea this was up for a revival.  Just hearing the names is music:  Demelza, Poldark, even Warleggen!  She really was a scrawny, lost creature in the original, and I hope they can capture some of that magic in a new way.  I'll have to track down the original and see what I think now; I do not think I have seen a single episode since it was on the air.  But it was so memorable -- just seeing the name "Elizabeth" on this page brings her icy perfect beauty to mind! 

• Love 1

I didn't know either until I was googling around and found it.

I read most of the Poldark books too. I'll have to get them on interlibrary loan now because my local branch doesn't have them anymore.

• Love 1

Poldark was the first Masterpiece Theater production that I remember watching as a child. I was in the process of re-watching the series on Netflix last summer, and then suddenly it went pouf. I hate when Netflix pulls a series without warning. I was intrigued when I later read that the series would be remade, but I highly doubt the magic between Robin Ellis and Angharad Rees can be re-created. They were the perfect actors for those roles--the whole cast was rather perfect. No matter, I will still enjoy watching and making comparisons (detrimental I'm sure).

• Love 3

It's a shame that they didn't continue the series as a books were released, since the later books were centered around the children (Geoffrey Charles, Jeremy Poldark, Valentine Warleggan, etc.)

Anyhow, I could never see what any of the men (Ross, Francis, George) saw in Elizabeth.

• Love 3

They were reprinting the series a few years ago, but I don't know how far along they got in the reprints. Anyhow, it's been a while since I read them so I'll have to make a few trips to the library. :)

I hope if the new series will follow the books better than the original series. Don't get me wrong, I loved the original series, but they took some liberties with the characters, especially Demelza. Book Ross didn't marry her because she was pregnant. So I hope they follow the books more faithfully to set it apart from the original series and to just be more like the books.

• Love 1

I was so disappointed when they used this plot point, which is often used in movies and television as if a woman couldn't possibly be worth marrying unless she was having a guy's baby.  But I wasn't watching Poldark for plots anyway.  I will just say "Robin  Ellis" and leave it at that.

I'm not sure why they went that route with Demelza. Book Demelza initially won Ross' affection with her loyalty and devotion to him.

• Love 2

Oh, this is all new information to me!  I saw the original series when it aired and multiple times afterward.  Have read the books multiple times from ROSS POLDARK to BELLA.  Certainly one of my favorites of all time, even with it's 70's production flaws and non-book changes.  Shoot, on our trip to the UK, we had to include Cornwall because of my 'thing' about Poldark.  I will watch the new one with a bit of reservation because it will be hard to replace the likes of Robin Ellis, Angharad Rees, Judy Geeson, and the wonderful actor who played Jud Painter.

• Love 1

WETA UK is showing this and I've been watching it since I never saw the original.

Are you watching Jewel in the Crown too? If you are, I'll start a Jewel thread.

Anyhow, I remember watching Poldark during it's weekday afternoon run on MPT when I was a kid. Then about 10 years ago, I Netflix'd the DVDs and read the series (I got into a BIG problem with the public library system over that because I had to borrow almost all of the books on interlibrary loan and eventhough I returned the books, the loaning libraries never got them and I ended up having  $100 + late fines.......)

• Love 1

I just saw this thread and want to say I absolutely loved Poldark. I saw the series when it first aired on PBS years ago. All the characters were great, especially Robin Ellis as Poldark.

Now I hear that they are planning a remake, which I will definitely be interested in watching. Not sure if it will measure up to the original but will keep an open mind on that.

• Love 1

Whenever I watch a British production of something, I always have to check IMBD because there is always at least one person that I know I know from somewhere else.

Heh, when Kevin McNally shows up, I know I will go crazy trying to figure out why I know that voice.  But I guess that's not for a while.   Though, the other question is when I will just give up watching one episode every week and just get the series from Netflix.

• Love 1

The BBC started showing the 2015 version last night - it is going to be interesting watching both versions at once. 

I won't say anything else about the updated one until its shown in the States except to say they copied Grantchester - there is a cute dog.

• Love 1
(edited)

The BBC started showing the 2015 version last night - it is going to be interesting watching both versions at once. 

I won't say anything else about the updated one until its shown in the States except to say they copied Grantchester - there is a cute dog.

I think in the books, Demelza had a dog. But it was killed by George Warleggan's cronies after Warleggan married Elizabeth and moved into Trenwith.

Heh. I just read this from the Mirror: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2986070/Poldark-viewers-react-anger-stars-attempts-Cornish-accent.html

Edited by Milz

Heh, I read that first as George Washington and thought man that American Revolution never ended.

I did notice how everyone was speaking very clearly - Jamaica Inn really scared them (if you don't know, when the BBC aired Jamaica Inn no one could understand what the actors were saying and the Beeb got a lot of complaints). 

• Love 1

Heh, I read that first as George Washington and thought man that American Revolution never ended.

I did notice how everyone was speaking very clearly - Jamaica Inn really scared them (if you don't know, when the BBC aired Jamaica Inn no one could understand what the actors were saying and the Beeb got a lot of complaints). 

What's odd in the article I link is that phrase that Poldark served in "Her Majesty's Army": I guess they're so used to QE 2 that they've forgotten the monarch during the Revolution was KG 3 and it was "His Majesty's Army".

Yes, Demelza's dog Garrick is in the books.  He isn't killed by anybody, and lives to a ripe old age.

Then I've confused that with the 70s series because I think the dog was killed.

Frankly, I hope this Poldark does well in the ratings because they could dramatize the entire series.

What's odd in the article I link is that phrase that Poldark served in "Her Majesty's Army": I guess they're so used to QE 2 that they've forgotten the monarch during the Revolution was KG 3 and it was "His Majesty's Army".

Heh, I'm guessing everyone's auto correct in England types out Her Majesty automatically.

Frankly, I hope this Poldark does well in the ratings because they could dramatize the entire series.

The world needs more Aidan Turner riding around the countryside on horseback.  It looks like it did very well in the ratings with 7 million -  http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/09/bbc-poldark-viewers-itv-mr-selfridge.

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 2

Since we now have a Poldark (2015) forum, and I imagine a lot of the discussion will be the same, I'm moving this over there.

The new forum will have miscellaneous topics about the new version, so let's keep this topic to conversation that is ONLY about the old show from here on.

• Love 1
Then I've confused that with the 70s series because I think the dog was killed.

Garrick lived in the books, was killed in the series.  Just one of many diversions from the books.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 1

Garrick lived in the books, was killed in the series.  Just one of many diversions from the books.

I read the books years after watching the series. And I noticed a number of differences between them, particularly with the Demelza-Ross relationship and marriage. I prefer the book version. Since reading the books, I always wondered why Winston Graham allowed those differences in the series.

• Love 3

I read the books years after watching the series. And I noticed a number of differences between them, particularly with the Demelza-Ross relationship and marriage. I prefer the book version. Since reading the books, I always wondered why Winston Graham allowed those differences in the series.

In the first series especially, my understanding is that he had very little control - he was reportedly incensed by the first episode and tried to get the rest of the series pulled from the air! He had more input thereafter but it was still strictly limited.

• Love 1

Wow. That's the kind of nonsense they do in the US whenever a novel is "dramatized": they add imagine up more drama to the point of completely changing things. Although, I sort of like that Jud and Prudy were in Ross's employ longer in the series than in the books.

I remember reading somewhere that Richard Morant left because he didn't like the direction the series was taking.

I don't know much about the behind-the-scenes of the '70s series (or this one), only what I've read in a few articles this week. I haven't read the books, either, so can't compare to those, but my understanding is that the writer of the new series didn't allow herself to watch the '70s version before writing her own, which she based squarely on the books, aiming for a faithful adaptation. It was interesting in the first episode to see where she made similar choices, and also to see where the key differences lay. Demelza's early interaction with Ross is quite different - and apparently was what infuriated Graham the most in 1975, so I'm sure he'd have approved of this version, which is much closer to what he wrote!

• Love 3

I don't know much about the behind-the-scenes of the '70s series (or this one), only what I've read in a few articles this week. I haven't read the books, either, so can't compare to those, but my understanding is that the writer of the new series didn't allow herself to watch the '70s version before writing her own, which she based squarely on the books, aiming for a faithful adaptation. It was interesting in the first episode to see where she made similar choices, and also to see where the key differences lay. Demelza's early interaction with Ross is quite different - and apparently was what infuriated Graham the most in 1975, so I'm sure he'd have approved of this version, which is much closer to what he wrote!

In the book, Demelza was a waif who Poldark brought home to be a maid/help for Prudy Paynter. Book Demelza is 13 years old. This is the same in the 70s series. However, the 70s series handles the Ross-Demelza courtship differently. In the series, a drunk Ross seduces Demelza one night. When she figures out she's pregnant, she leaves Nampara. Ross learns she's pregnant and he marries her. In the book, Demelza becomes pregnant after about a year into their marriage. So the series gives the viewer the impression that Ross married Demelza out of honor than out of love or affection. And  that "You only married me because I was pregnant" theme is carried over to when Julia dies: Demelza is crying because Julia's death not only means the end of her child but also the end of her marriage to Ross.

• Love 3
Since reading the books, I always wondered why Winston Graham allowed those differences in the series.

Robin Ellis gives a lot of insight into this in his book.  Apparently Mr. Graham was quite unhappy during the filming of season one and only agreed to season two if he had more control.  I think two did a better job but there were still some condensation differences.

For me, the most annoying change was the Ross/Demelza relationship being reduced to a "shotgun" marriage.  This has been adequately described so there's nothing I can add.  Except that it bugged because it cast an unfortunate light on their marriage.  He really did grow to love her prior to their marriage in spite of the Elizabeth obsession.

It is also interesting that in Robin's book, he says Richard Morant (season one Dwight) would not agree to season two because of creative choices made by the production in the Dwight/Keren/Mark love triangle.  Robin said that he, Graham and Morant argued with the producers for a week.  I couldn't get a firm fix on the exact problem but apparently it was a huge kerfuffle and they eventually compromised but Morant was ticked off and wouldn't come back.

• Love 3

Robin Ellis gives a lot of insight into this in his book.  Apparently Mr. Graham was quite unhappy during the filming of season one and only agreed to season two if he had more control.  I think two did a better job but there were still some condensation differences.

For me, the most annoying change was the Ross/Demelza relationship being reduced to a "shotgun" marriage.  This has been adequately described so there's nothing I can add.  Except that it bugged because it cast an unfortunate light on their marriage.  He really did grow to love her prior to their marriage in spite of the Elizabeth obsession.

It is also interesting that in Robin's book, he says Richard Morant (season one Dwight) would not agree to season two because of creative choices made by the production in the Dwight/Keren/Mark love triangle.  Robin said that he, Graham and Morant argued with the producers for a week.  I couldn't get a firm fix on the exact problem but apparently it was a huge kerfuffle and they eventually compromised but Morant was ticked off and wouldn't come back.

Wow.

• Love 2

It is such a joy to find this vintage Poldark forum!  I watched this series back in the 70s, and was delighted to find it on DVD.  I've read all the books, and loved all of them except for the last one about Bella. 

I'm reading through everyone's comments on the episode threads for the new series, and look forward to watching it here in the States.  

• Love 4

This is a little off-topic, but I just found out that Robin Ellis authored two cookbooks for diabetics. I'm not diabetic, but like to eat healthy, so I'll definitely check them out. If Robin writes cookbooks as well as he acts, they'll be good. Anyone heard of them or tried any recipes? 

• Love 1

Man, this is the longest trial ever.  They ended the episode right before the verdict was announced!  Heh, though considering how many episodes are left, I'm guessing it will be a verdict of not guilty.

wrt Elizabeth. I had the impression from the books that she was the sort of aloof, refined, frail, aristocratic beauty that men of the upper classes of that time were supposed to view as the apex of womanhood. I thought Jill Townsend did a fine job of portraying that. I haven't been impressed by Heida Reed yet, I don't feel like she's conveying much of anything about the character so far, even if she has a different interpretation in mind.

The fact that lively, outspoken, energetic, but looked down upon Demelza is much more appealing to modern sensibilities is not an accident, I think. I also think there's also a deliberate irony in Ross's inability to realize that Elizabeth throwing him over was the best thing that ever happened to him. Because he is a man of his time, and we the audience see things differently.

• Love 2

Whenever I watch a British production of something, I always have to check IMBD because there is always at least one person that I know I know from somewhere else. 

So many British actors are related to one another too.  Marriages, re-marriages, kids, those kids marrying other actor's kids...

I remember really liking the young doctor on the original recipe!Poldark series  - and I know I have seen the actor in something else, maybe it was in the Lord Peter Whimsey series. And I also really enjoyed the woman he married - she was so vivacious and interesting. She and of course Demelza were so wonderful - especially in comparison to that cold fish Elizabeth.  But then they re-casted  the doctor and the re-cast was very blah and did nothing for me.

Edited by magdalene

I remember really liking the young doctor on the original recipe!Poldark series  - and I know I have seen the actor in something else, maybe it was in the Lord Peter Whimsey series. And I also really enjoyed the woman he married - she was so vivacious and interesting. She and of course Demelza were so wonderful - especially in comparison to that cold fish Elizabeth.  But then they re-casted  the doctor and the re-cast was very blah and did nothing for me.

I think Dr. 2.0 says something like "I feel like a new man" or something like that.

The doctor was played by the late Richard Morant (d. December 2011) and he did indeed also play the estimable Bunter to Edward Petherbridge's Lord Peter Wimsey.

So many British actors are related to one another too.  Marriages, re-marriages, kids, those kids marrying other actor's kids...

And Jill Townsend (Elizabeth) was married to Nicol Williamson!  That's almost as strange as the Sian Phillips/Peter O'Toole marriage.

I remember how much I liked Poldark, season 1, in high school.  (I'm as old as dirt.)  It was such an easygoing story after the traumatizing wrap-up of Upstairs, Downstairs.  All that Cornish scenery; Judd & Prudy for low-comic relief; the unusual accents; and such romantic, un-English names -- Nampara, Demelza.  Yet I hated the second season.  It seemed like an American daytime soap opera -- for instance, was Elizabeth's baby Ross' or George's?  That may have been why I liked the first season -- because it seemed to be a male-oriented story.  I have not seen it since, so maybe I would feel differently about it now.

And yet I remember that a lot of people didn't like Poldark at all at the time. I seem to remember that Rebecca Eaton took a shot at in a TV Guide interview; and I think even Alistair himself trashed it when he retired from MT.

• Love 1
(edited)

What I remember about the original recipe Poldark is that I really liked the doctor character and then they recast him with some guy who had zero charisma and no chemistry with his awesome wife.  But mostly I was into this show for Demelza who I absolutely adored.  I was sad to learn that the actress playing her died quite young of cancer.

Oh, and eventually the series just stopped without proper conclusion.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 1

I kind of resent the fact that the fact sheet on the new Poldark did not mention that the old Poldark was the absolute thing in the 70s.  It was Mastahpeace Theatah Romance before everyone involved with Outlander was even born.  My god, my mother watched it endlessly.  ENDLESSLY I tell you!

• Love 1
All that Cornish scenery

Absolutely lovely! Winston Graham wrote a book called Poldark's Cornwall. It had color photographs of Cornwall. And it gave some insider stuff like how Graham completely made up the name Poldark, Demelza is the name of a town, etc.

What I remember about the original recipe Poldark is that I really liked the doctor character and then they recast him with some guy who had zero charisma and no chemistry with his awesome wife.  But mostly I was into this show for Demelza who I absolutely adored.  I was sad to learn that the actress playing her died quite young of cancer.

Oh, and eventually the series just stopped without proper conclusion.

Yeah, it's a shame they never continued the series because Graham was still writing the books until the late 80s, early 90s.

I kind of resent the fact that the fact sheet on the new Poldark did not mention that the old Poldark was the absolute thing in the 70s.  It was Mastahpeace Theatah Romance before everyone involved with Outlander was even born.  My god, my mother watched it endlessly.  ENDLESSLY I tell you!

Hmmm....not mentioning the original series is pretty low, imo.

• Love 1