Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, WatcherUatl10 said:

Oh, he planned and orchestrated that, IMO. He's isolating Lucy, and she's lying FOR him now, and that's what he wanted.

I know, but planning and orchestrating that is full psycho!

Edited by gesundheit
  • Like 1

There would certainly be a right to be present for any hearing by a board upon the allegation against Lucy.  And, the right to contest and even appeal a decision.  I think their portrayal was rather simplistic and inaccurate.  The way they resolved it was contrived and nonsensical to me.  But, it fits with this show I guess.  I’m still trying to figure out the point of this series.   

I was wondering…do any of the producers of  series shows or movies with nude scenes cast women who are well endowed?  I can’t recall any.  I know that Euphoria the series had one plus size female cast member, but she has been released.  

Stephen might have shed tears near the end, but sociopaths may do that, though it’s about themselves and not others.  Their own welfare is the top priority always.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Correct me if my memory is off, but in the first episode we heard Lucy say it had been FOUR years since the whole thing with Stephen came to an end, but the wedding is eight years after this season. So even after this finale, the Lucy/Stephen back-and-forth continues for another three years? Good God.

Seems like Stephen is just as much of a snob as he accuses more monied people of being. He's so far above a front desk job! But it's only because everyone else is so classist!

In a way Stephen being engaged to Lydia feels like a heavy-handed mitigating factor that kind of lets Lucy off the hook for banging her good friend's boyfriend (i.e., "look, all of these people are the worst, Lucy's hardly any more awful than almost everyone around her!"). What was up with the XO tattoo on Stephen's fingers that he went way out of his way to display to Lucy at the wedding? 

I think the most frustrating thing for me is that even in a serialized drama, you want some major arc to fully conclude at the end of a season while obviously leaving some new threads for the next. But we didn't get any kind of ending, this could've just as easily been a mid-season episode. I guess in their minds revealing to us what really happened the night Macy died was an arc conclusion, but it's retroactive and not one single character found out, so the actual story we were watching play out didn't really do much?

• Like 1
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

Seems like Stephen is just as much of a snob as he accuses more monied people of being. He's so far above a front desk job! But it's only because everyone else is so classist!

I would've loved a "front-desk job" when I was in college instead of having people throw broken electronics at my head at the exchange and returns desk at Best Buy for $6.75 an hour. (I'm old.)

I hate everyone on this show.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

What was up with the XO tattoo on Stephen's fingers that he went way out of his way to display to Lucy at the wedding? 

I took it as a "Look - no wedding ring yet!  I can still do what I want!" sign to Lucy.  Like, "You still have a chance with me!  Don't you still want me?"

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, mandymax said:

I took it as a "Look - no wedding ring yet!  I can still do what I want!" sign to Lucy.  Like, "You still have a chance with me!  Don't you still want me?"

Oh, I thought we were meant to see the knuckle tattoos -- did he already have those in 2007? 

I thought the same thing about the no-ring too, but then the tattoos stood out, plus he immediately dangled a fiancee. 

Edited by gesundheit
22 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I would've loved a "front-desk job" when I was in college instead of having people throw broken electronics at my head at the exchange and returns desk at Best Buy for $6.75 an hour. (I'm old.)

Even older, my minimum wage college job paid far less! Also isn't Stephen supposed to be so charismatic? Surely he could charm the country club members!

After watching episode 10, I re-watched episode 1. Stephen is a cold MFer. He showed no remorse after killing Macy and was downright predatory with Lucy and Diana only 24 hours after it happened.  

Let's count the lives ruined/damaged by Stephen and Lucy:

1. Macy (obviously)
  2. Wrigley
  3. Drew
  4. Pippa

We don't know enough yet whether/how much they hurt Bree, Evan, Max and Diana.

Lucy barely knew Macy for one day before Macy died, and she was a bitch to Macy more than once during that day. Yet Lucy is so distressed when she finds out about Drew's possible involvement in Macy's death that she writes a letter to the Dean? Stephen is the worst, but Lucy is a close second. 

32 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

So the chatter at the wedding made it seem like Drew is no longer living, right?

That's how I took it.

Refresh my memory, please - Lydia was Lucy's best friend back home, the one we met in the first episode before Lucy left for college?

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, mandymax said:

That's how I took it.

Refresh my memory, please - Lydia was Lucy's best friend back home, the one we met in the first episode before Lucy left for college?

Yes, plus in the school break episode where everyone went back home, wasn't Lydia the friend on whose behalf Lucy punched that guy?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, gesundheit said:

Yes, plus in the school break episode where everyone went back home, wasn't Lydia the friend on whose behalf Lucy punched that guy?

I forgot about that!  Yes, I think that was her.  Wow.  So now she's set to marry Stephen.

I never read the book - is this all still aligning with the book, or have the writers taken it WAY off course?

I can't say I love this show because I feel like shit watching it, but it's definitely well made and "must see tv" for me. I feel like I need therapy after each episode b/c it brings up so much of my shit. I can barely stomach post-show coverage.

I like this tweet on the show.

delete.jpg

• Love 1
3 hours ago, gesundheit said:

So the chatter at the wedding made it seem like Drew is no longer living, right?

Definitely. I've thought that since the wedding scenes in episode one, which they maybe replayed in the finale. I thought Evan said something about it being 'the anniversary of what happened to Drew' to explain Wrigley's behavior in the first ep but then in the finale he said 'yesterday was Drew's birthday' so maybe I'm just misremembering the first ep. But yea anyway I've been waiting all season for Drew to kill himself tbh.

Macy was such a good character so I'm bummed we lost her. 

New twist wish: Stephen and Lucy both get killed at the wedding. They really suck.

I am disappointed in Diana. I liked her but she sucks, too. Even Evan sucks.

Bree, run away from these people!

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

So I guess no one ever finds out that Stephen was behind the wheel of the crash that killed Macy. He gets to just literally walk away and never face consequences. 

May a meteor drop on his head by the time this show is over.

Edited by funnygirl
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Macy was such a good character so I'm bummed we lost her. 

Yes. What a waste. It was a very deliberate choice by the writers to have her ask Bree about her family shortly after meeting her and to highlight Pippa and Lucy hadn’t. 

New twist wish: Stephen and Lucy both get killed at the wedding. They really suck.

I would be thrilled. 

Bree, run away from these people!

If they get a season two I really hope they don’t turn her into a horrible person like they have with everyone else. 

2 hours ago, funnygirl said:

So I guess no one ever finds out that Stephen was behind the wheel of the crash that killed Macy. He gets to just literally walk away and never face consequences. 

Well they are dealing with cops who apparently couldn’t tell that Macy wasn’t driving despite that obvious damage to the passenger windshield. At this point I would rather they drop that plot entirely rather than continuing to insult my intelligence. 

I think they did a bad job with the actor playing Steven because he doesn’t have any of the charisma or charm that a narcissist would need. It doesn’t make any sense that Diana would be pining over him. She is portrayed as very confident and secure. If Stephen is supposed to be a narcissist, he would have broken her down and made her so insecure and that would be the only reason why she still love him. So the writing of Diana just doesn’t make any sense to me.

If we’re supposed believe that, these women are hooked on Stephen, he needs be the type of villain you root for like Don Draper, Tony Soprano, Walter White, Damon, from House of the Dragon. Stephen just has zero charm or charisma. I can’t see how anyone would be interested in him.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Just finised the last episode and I am dissapointed there wasnt really closure. Just lots more questions. A few stray observations about the series:

Both Stephen and Lucy are POS and deserve each other. Lucy is silently mad and punishing her mom for years. Sorry that was terrible. I assume Drew met a bad end and Macy is dead  and Lucy and Stephen don't seem to understand that they both have responsibility there. Lucy let her friend get dumped because she wouldn't admit to writing the letter. Stephen bangs any girl willing to have him.  And WTF is up with Stephen being so secretive about his whereabouts all the time, while at huge college parties? Ok dude. And speaking of parties, I was lol about how all the parties at that college are themed, complete with costume requirements and flyers. Yeah right. I hope Stephen ends up as a manager at Arbys. Lucy is no better. She gonna sit home all summer and wait for the phone to ring. UGh. Wrigley is what, 7 years out of college and still calling people bro and dude and has the same college hair?

I want a season 2 because I think  I can hate these people more the longer I watch. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, mandymax said:

That's how I took it.

Yes. And the one who she went to the party with while home on break and punched out her ex. 

On 10/26/2022 at 2:08 PM, mandymax said:

I forgot about that!  Yes, I think that was her.  Wow.  So now she's set to marry Stephen.

I never read the book - is this all still aligning with the book, or have the writers taken it WAY off course?

I read the book! The coming down the stairs thing with Diana was sort of correct—happened a bit differently in the book but same idea of how he “broke up” with Lucy. The Evan thing never happened—she just spent the summer depressed. And he was engaged at the wedding in the book, but it wasn’t to Lydia, it was a random girl. I’m kinda glad they did it that way in the show because my jaw was on the floor twice in the last 5 minutes of the ep!

• Like 1

That’s pretty terrible writing, because the police investigation and/or autopsy would reveal that Macy was not the driver at time of impact.  Also, if people are seated in the front driver and passenger seat, air bags would deploy on both sides. (The time was 2007, so it’s highly likely the car had air bags, right?  She wouldn’t likely be driving a 10 year old car.). They conveniently had Macy say her belt didn’t work. 🙄  If they wanted to have that set up to be his fault, with a little thought they could have figured out a more sensible scenario. 

Stephen really is a person without substance.  It seems that the only people who are impressed with him are college students.  I agree that Stephen is rather unimpressive in the sex appeal department.  He lacks appeal, imo, even without knowing his vile character.  He’s so low key and unassuming.  He would need more charm to pull off his antics, imo. 

It’s true about the college themed parties. Lol. That’s not very realistic either.  The writers ignored major things that needed attention only to focus on trivial things. Lol

Would Lucy still be so a anxious  about a creepy ex lover 8 years later?  Lol 

I think I’m out of here if there is a season 2.  I actually don’t think the show has much to say and the stories they do tell are not thought out well.  I’ve come to the conclusion that the purpose of the series was to show college student sex scenes.  And, those weren’t very good.   So, I’m going to grade this series a solid D average for the semester. Lol  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Also, if people are seated in the front driver and passenger seat, air bags would deploy on both sides. (The time was 2007, so it’s highly likely the car had air bags, right?  She wouldn’t likely be driving a 10 year old car.).

The driver air bag was definitely deployed in the scene but I don't remember there being one one the passenger side.

I didn’t see it deployed, but if it did, the white substance from the bag would be on her body.  It’s like a fine powder.  Presumably, hers would have deployed too.  So, police would see two people were in the car.  There seems ample proof that she wasn’t driving or that 2 people were in the front seats.  It just seems like lazy writing to me.  It’s a major story that doesn’t seem logical, to me.  

Hulu has another drama series that seems to suffer the same problems as this series. It’s called Reasonable Doubt.  The characters are unlikable, there are implausible scenarios and the only point to the show is to show sex scenes.  I have no issue with erotic sex in a show, but it just seems odd to make the stories so lame, just to show the sex scenes.  Why not do both and have a great show?  Hmmmm…

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1

Ever since my wreck in January 2020 (rear-ended someone at about 45 mph), I can't get past how people on TV/movies act like they are fine after a crash. I "walked away" from my wreck but was in severe pain for a while. I had major purple bruises across my chest and stomach, and it took a good year for my chest (internal contusions) to heal from the seatbelt trauma. I couldn't work even a month later. I know it would detract from the story, but after that crash in reality, Stephen would not just be walking around like nothing was wrong.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I'm on episode 7. Do any of the main characters from financially strapped families have part-time (or work-study) jobs? Why is the football player partying and working out with this group and not his football team? Is Pippa in her mid 40s? Finally, why am I still watching?? 😅

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Episode 9: Um, self-plagiarism is still plagiarism, professor. 

This Sucks Good Girls GIF by NBC

Episode 10: Aside from Stephen having longer hair, everyone else looked exactly the same at the wedding reception. Lame.

Edited by QQQQ
  • LOL 1

While I don't like Stephen or Lucy, I did think "damn, that's cold" when Stephen and Diana walked down the stairs hand in hand. I also don't get Diana. She seems confident and serious about her education. Why the heck is she wasting her time on a guy like Stephen, who cheated on her and completely overreacted about her hooking up with Wrigley. 

I get the feeling Lucy knew he was engaged to Lydia at the end. She didn't seem shocked to see her, more like she was readying herself to see her. Wonder how those two meet.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 10/7/2022 at 6:49 AM, sadie said:

Am I the only one that thinks Pippa looks about 35 years old. It’s very distracting. What she sees in Wrigley is a mystery, he’s the most obnoxious jerk I’ve ever witnessed on my screen. Why does he think he’s so entertaining? He just grates and how he has any friends is a mystery.

Lucy is interesting to me, on the one hand she is just awful: self absorbed, smug, but on the other hand I feel bad for her. I dated a “Stephen” in my twenties and it messed me up for a long time. She doesn’t stand a chance. Just when you think he might be redeemable, he dunks the camera so there is no proof of them being together. 

Evan and Bree need to move far away and change their phone numbers and not deal with any of these assholes ever again.

Omg her age is so distracting . She looks 45 to me . 

• Love 1

Was sad to see Evan sleep with Lucy and it kinda was out of character but I guess he had somewhat of a crush on her before he became involved with Bree ? That part wasn’t clear to me because he did say “ I like you “ and maybe I’m slow but I couldn’t tell if he meant it in a romantic way or just that he liked her as a person . Because he never flirted with her otherwise . 

Were pippa and Wrigley still together at that point of the wedding ? I guess she never came out by that point . 

It’s interesting watching a show about 18 year olds because you know when you were 18, you made such dumb choices which is completely normal but watching 18 year olds making dumb choices is very annoying . Lucy was very pathetic when it came to Stephen so I was somewhat happy about her comeuppance but then I realize how young she was and I try to sympathize more lol . 

i legit have no memory of Lydia , but why was Stephens hair so bad and why did everyone of them look exactly the same years later ? 

• Like 1

I really didn’t see much chemistry between Lucy and Stephen . I felt far more between Diana and Stephen though Diana was way too good for him . 

The actress that plays Lucy looks so much like Shailene Woodley that I keep thinking it’s her . Even their voices sound the same .

• Like 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Jax7917 said:

Were pippa and Wrigley still together at that point of the wedding ? I guess she never came out by that point . 

I didn't think they were still together. Didn't Wrigley ask everyone is she was there? I don't think he'd do that if they were together.

2 hours ago, Jax7917 said:

The actress that plays Lucy looks so much like Shailene Woodley that I keep thinking it’s her . Even their voices sound the same .

Right! I've decided to me she's like a cross between Shailene Woodley and Lily James.

Pippa's age was distracting but I thought Stephen looked every bit as ridiculous.  Like a 35 year old loser running around a college campus. But the winner was the "girl" who told Lucy she had seen Stephen and Macy together at the party.  I was so confused by that scene.  When she walked in, I assumed she was someone's Mom (or Grandma) and that they were at someone's house.  But no - she's a pledge in Diana's sorority!  Ha!

Speaking of Diana - "the most beautiful girl on campus".  All I saw was a Michael Jackson impersonator every time she showed up and I started singing Dirty Diana in my head.  My husband wondered if they named her character that just because of her shocking resemblance to Michael!  (But I'm assuming that was the character's name in the book.....)

The ending at the party was so full of holes.  The girls were ending their Freshman year and the guys were ending their Junior year at the climax of the story.  They would have certainly continued to see each other on campus and apparently remained close enough post-college (at least with Evan and Bree) that they were all invited to the wedding.  And yet the feel of the last scene was like they were picking up the fall after everything went down.  Not years and years later.  I guess my point is, they were still all hung up on the same issues as at the end of the girl's Freshman year when in reality, they all would have been so far past that.  Hope that makes sense. 

This was a somewhat enjoyable watch....no way I would’ve waited weekly for a new epi though, I would’ve lost interest. Thankfully I could binge it, but everyone seemed too old to be in college. An unlike able bunch, for sure. 

• Like 2
On 10/30/2022 at 10:24 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I have no issue with erotic sex in a show, but it just seems odd to make the stories so lame, just to show the sex scenes.  Why not do both and have a great show?  Hmmmm…

With free porn everywhere, showing sex just for its own sake is pointless, you have to be invested in the characters to make it interesting. 

On 10/31/2022 at 6:14 AM, QQQQ said:

Is Pippa in her mid 40s? Finally, why am I still watching?? 😅

I tried to find the actress's age,  but it seems to be a secret.   Definitely not great casting tho.

On 11/2/2022 at 1:38 PM, Jax7917 said:

The actress playing Lucy looks a lot like my niece which is one of the reasons I started watching this show when I came across it.  But I would never say my niece looks like Shailene. And yet somehow the two actresses look alike,  weird.

Lucy and Stephen are both the worst people/friends.

Oh, Evan why did you sleep with Lucy. Ugh. 

Stephens posture really bugged me. He was always hunched over.

Wrigley was annoying and why anyone would put up with him is beyond me. 

Bree is the only likeable one out of the bunch. Pippa isn't bad either. 

Stephens fiancé being Lucy's best friend from home kinda amused me. I hate Lucy so much. Almost as much as Stephen. Is she supposed to be likeable at all??

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 12/3/2022 at 9:11 PM, backhometome said:

I hate Lucy so much. Almost as much as Stephen. Is she supposed to be likeable at all??

Nope. Even the show runner said in her interview that Lucy is a horrible person and they want to make her even more unlikable in season 2. 

Edited by skotnikov

After bing watching this I just have one question, didn't forensic experts see that Macy (or whatever Lucy's roommate name is) wasn't in the driver's seat during the impact? And because she didn't use the belt the trauma would be different from one that a belted person in a driver's seat would have. If police had performed autopsy on her, it would be quite clear and at some point they would find out that she was moved from the passenger's seat to the driver's seat by someone. Then fingerprints would come in play etc.

But in general it's so unbelievable and trashy, it's amazing.    

Edited by skotnikov