Type keyword(s) to search

Reboot - General Discussion

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, arc said:

Y'know, I've never been to those old timey LA restaurants with the very old waiters (and the flambes and steaks and whatnot), but this show made it seem the old waiters aspect a lot less appealing than the various writeups I've seen in the LA Times or whatever.

That was such a running gag in Kominsky Method that I kept thinking of that show during this episode and then they went and had a whole bit about Chuck Lorre. It all came together!

• Love 6

The show started with "I want to do this reboot because the script is so amazing" so I thought telling him he never likes anything would lead to "actually, no, but I signed up to do the edgy show Hannah wrote, not this sanitized pablum-- like what Chuck Lorre is famous for". But no. They've really committed to the pablum.

• Applause 1
19 hours ago, possibilities said:

The show started with "I want to do this reboot because the script is so amazing" so I thought telling him he never likes anything would lead to "actually, no, but I signed up to do the edgy show Hannah wrote, not this sanitized pablum-- like what Chuck Lorre is famous for". But no. They've really committed to the pablum.

Yeah, I keep waiting for the thing that will turn that around, like here Reed telling Gordon that he could be more. It seems like everyone's just embraced making a stupid show that really isn't funny (how many times have people done the dog swallowed the cell phone thing--and phones haven't even been around that long) that I can't imagine airing on Hulu. Why didn't Reed bring it up? It feels like they used that to get Hannah and Gordon working together and then pulled a bait and switch where it's all about how comedy = 90s sitcoms. Even on an ep named for WWDitS. Are Hannah's writers just superfulous now? Is she? Because in this ep she was just relegated to handling personal lives.

• Love 1
On 10/4/2022 at 4:37 AM, arc said:

There's like no legit reason for Clay not to tell Bree what his stop was. The show was telegraphing it was AA the whole way, so I dunno who in the audience they thought this would surprise.

He literally said why. He has a image as a train wreck that he wants to keep in public. It's also his personal business. It's alcohol anonymous for a reason.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Yeah, I keep waiting for the thing that will turn that around, like here Reed telling Gordon that he could be more. It seems like everyone's just embraced making a stupid show that really isn't funny (how many times have people done the dog swallowed the cell phone thing--and phones haven't even been around that long) that I can't imagine airing on Hulu. Why didn't Reed bring it up? It feels like they used that to get Hannah and Gordon working together and then pulled a bait and switch where it's all about how comedy = 90s sitcoms. Even on an ep named for WWDitS. Are Hannah's writers just superfulous now? Is she? Because in this ep she was just relegated to handling personal lives.

They were showing another side of Hannah's job which is managing actor complaints about scripts. But, she wanted to show her dad that we should be open to all their thoughts which obviously isn't true.

If the episodes don't need the writers, they aren't there.

I don't care about the show within the show. This could simply be Hulu trying find success in the same way Netflix did with Fuller House. There is no rule that says something like this couldn't exist on Hulu. Especially with so many shows being brought back all over the place. This would be like bringing Reba back which is literally what people are trying to do right now.

I love how much heart this show has. After a more straight forward start there are exploring the leads and different relationships within the main cast through different scenarios.

My favorite part of this episode was the make up chair. Knoxville was perfectly comfy with the gay hairdresser. They both gave good, snappy banter while not being offended while Bree actually just enjoyed it all instead of just being snarky at Knoxville.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
Just now, Racj82 said:

They were showing another side of Hannah's job which is managing actor complaints about scripts. But, she wanted to show her dad that we should be open to all their thoughts which obviously isn't true.

If the episodes don't need the writers, they aren't there.

I don't care about the show within the show. This could simply be Hulu trying find success in the same way Netflix did with Fuller House. There is no rule that says something like this couldn't exist on Hulu. Especially with so many shows being brought back all over the place. This would be like bringing Reba back which is literally what people are trying to do right now.

I love how much heart this show has. After a more straight forward start there are exploring the leads and different relationships within the main cast through different scenarios.

My favorite part of this episode was the make up chair. Knoxville was perfectly comfy with the gay hairdresser. They both gave good, snappy banter while not being offended while Bree actually just enjoyed it all instead of just being snarky at Knoxville.

But a lot of the show is very explicitly about the nature of comedy and the relationship between Gordon and Hannah was the whole premise. The show within a show is part of playing that out. If they just wanted to have a father and daughter working together to reboot the show as it was, why start out with a such a dark premise? That's why I keep thinking it's planning to turn around, because right now it's almost doubling down on Gordon's original crime. The show has heart because the selfish man's abandoned child is too desperate for his approval and creatively weak to make her voice heard.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Seelouis said:

I seriously laughed and laughed when Bree was walking up to the house and the lights came on and she immediately preened and posed. 

So did I. I rewound and just cracked up. So good.

On 10/4/2022 at 3:37 AM, arc said:

"Okay, you know what, Zack, buddy? I really do want to hear this. Let me just go grab a pen", Gordon says as he pats Zack's shoulder with a pen in his hand the whole time. Paul Reiser's great.

Despite her backstory with her dad, Hannah must have absolutely no cynicism at all to think that embarking on a completely extracurricular adventure with Zack was a good idea.

Paul had some of the best line readings tonight.  There was the pen bit.  The "'cuz he's really old" and "And I just peed a little" (after not being able to pee on Lorre's star.) It wasn't just the delivery but the timing was so spot on whether he delivered it quickly or took a beat.

On 10/4/2022 at 2:46 PM, gesundheit said:

That was such a running gag in Kominsky Method that I kept thinking of that show during this episode and then they went and had a whole bit about Chuck Lorre. It all came together!

Yep.  And Reiser was in that as well.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 9/28/2022 at 11:22 AM, possibilities said:

I think the show has gotten less interesting since they pivoted to the deadbeat dad being less of an antagonist. They tried to redeem him by having that re-write where he apologizes, and they imported his buddies to the writing room. Ever since the Hannah tripped and the writers all laughed, they've been selling the idea that actually the elders were right and they can all just gat along now. I'm not against some understanding that experience isn't worthless and maybe they can actually work together after all. But Hannah's voice and the voices of the writers she hired have been mostly silenced by the noise made by her dad and his pals.

The way they've made it into "everybody gets along now" is actually much more of a sitcom trope than the edgy show they were saying she wanted to write and which this series started off suggesting it might be.

The show has become "wacky hijinks by the cast in their sex lives" and less about a show that's trying to be different than the thing it rebooted. It doesn't even use the reboot framing anymore, really. It's just a sitcom, any sitcom, really.

I agree with this completely.  And given the fact that the cast is all really good (even the cast I didn't expect to be good like Johnny Knoxville because I wasn't familiar with anything but Jackass) it's a real waste of an enormous amount of potential.  the show is still good thanks to the cast, but it could have been amazing, and I hope they go back to this dynamic next season.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

I think this show is getting a bit stale is because the entire show exists with the main characters on set all the time.

They need more restaurants or coffee shops or bars they go to. They need external friends and relatives that they have relationships with in addition to the people on the show.

• Like 1
On 10/6/2022 at 6:20 AM, sistermagpie said:

But a lot of the show is very explicitly about the nature of comedy and the relationship between Gordon and Hannah was the whole premise.

I don't think premise of this show was intended on being that specific. The "Reboot" refers to both the "Step Right Up" show and all the characters getting fresh starts and second chances, and it is that idea that has been the focus of most of the stories, like Bree's sexuality, Clay's sobriety and Hannah and Gordon trying to reconnect.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, quangtran said:

I don't think premise of this show was intended on being that specific. The "Reboot" refers to both the "Step Right Up" show and all the characters getting fresh starts and second chances, and it is that idea that has been the focus of most of the stories, like Bree's sexuality, Clay's sobriety and Hannah and Gordon trying to reconnect.

Oh yes, I agree--I didn't mean to say the whole thing was just about Hannah and her dad. But nobody else's reboot is as stunningly unearned as Gordon's and questionable as Hannah's.

On 9/28/2022 at 8:22 AM, possibilities said:

I think the show has gotten less interesting since they pivoted to the deadbeat dad being less of an antagonist. They tried to redeem him by having that re-write where he apologizes, and they imported his buddies to the writing room. Ever since the Hannah tripped and the writers all laughed, they've been selling the idea that actually the elders were right and they can all just gat along now. I'm not against some understanding that experience isn't worthless and maybe they can actually work together after all. But Hannah's voice and the voices of the writers she hired have been mostly silenced by the noise made by her dad and his pals.

The way they've made it into "everybody gets along now" is actually much more of a sitcom trope than the edgy show they were saying she wanted to write and which this series started off suggesting it might be.

The show has become "wacky hijinks by the cast in their sex lives" and less about a show that's trying to be different than the thing it rebooted. It doesn't even use the reboot framing anymore, really. It's just a sitcom, any sitcom, really.

Totally agree. I'm all caught up on episodes, and I feel less interested with each passing episode. Not sure I'll make it to the end of this season. It's like they set up problems and too quickly wrap them up. Hannah's years of pent up rage at the abandonment of her father, and one apology and it's fine! Timberely is a terrible actress - never mind - she isn't! Bree is threatened by the younger woman - forget it, she feels bad and now they are besties/fuckbuddies. Clay is sneaking around with the kid's mom - never mind, he knows and is cool about it!

All of these things could have been dragged out and explored further, but this show really is just operating as a sitcom - problems resolved in 20 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

S01.E06: Bewitched

Bree pulls Reed into their old game of creating elaborate backstories for eccentric-looking strangers. Gordon enlists the writers to help Hannah get together with a woman she likes. Clay tries to make amends with Jerry. Zack wants to ask out a co-worker.

Premiere Date: October 11, 2022  

Dennis and Jerry were great in slightly expanded roles from what they've been called on to date. I also thought the various romances worked out nicely and were very funny, though swerving on Bree and Reed hooking up to show instead that the mysterious trio from the hotel got arrested was a fantastic button.

• Like 1

I still like the running gag about Hannah wearing sweaters. Gordon teasing her was brilliant. LGTV! Winking is always funny. Rachel Bloom plays mortified just fantastic. 

Selma kills me. "The 83 Sixers should have given *me* a ring." Then they found a nude Selma with a young Gabe Kapler. I set up the metronome joke for a friend last week and he totally lost it. The writers' room probably has the best scenes for me because I like all the zingers. "She has two cats. Tilda. Swinton. Lesbian." It kind of reminds me of Arrested Development. All the kid movie titles are hilarious too. 

I don't feel too bad for Reed. He could just have said, "Bree is yelling at me for some reason. It's probably something else insane" to Nora. 

I really liked the scene with Knoxville and the director not accepting his apology. Knoxville is doing really well. He face just fell. I liked the point that the hulu exec had to say no to Zack because of the double standard. Funny resolution too. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4
On 10/11/2022 at 5:06 AM, Ilovepie said:

Not sure I'll make it to the end of this season. It's like they set up problems and too quickly wrap them up. Hannah's years of pent up rage at the abandonment of her father, and one apology and it's fine! Timberely is a terrible actress - never mind - she isn't! Bree is threatened by the younger woman - forget it, she feels bad and now they are besties/fuckbuddies.

I think the show isn't quite living up to its potential (I don't care for Reed or Zack's stories) but I like that conflict isn't dragged out for the sake of cheap drama, and that don't resort to typical Three's Company like comedy (they could have easily worded the Timberly/Reed conversion so that it sounded like Timberly set Bree up with a man instead of sleeping her her herself). The characters are a lot less one note this way. Zack's mom isn't a clingy sex fiend and  Timberly isn't an reality show airhead.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

This show reminds me of Kevin Can Fuck Himself. Both shows begin with premises that seem to allow them to comment on and satirize comedic conventions, but immediately show no actual interest in those premises, instead pushing them to the background so that they just become generic settings.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

S01.E07: Baskets

Hannah and Gordon try to manage Bree's ego in the writers' room, Clay almost loses his mind trying to get his lines right during looping, and Reed joins Zack for a basketball game against some unexpected opponents. 

Premiere Date: October 18, 2022  

A solid ep that really took advantage of the showbiz setting to build stories for Clay and Bree (and Hannah and Gordon, of course) that couldn't easily have been just any workplace sitcom. The Reed plot was a little shaggier though, and Zack remains almost disturbingly immature.

The Clay plot did feel a bit mechanical though. They've had that happen a few times this season already where a plot certainly makes sense, but it feels a bit rote as if advancing along a set formula. That's probably true of the Bree plot too, but I guess the seams were hidden better there.

On 10/15/2022 at 8:29 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

It's only been six episodes.  Guve it time.

When you put it that way, some of my favorite sitcoms didn't really find themselves till the 7th episode or so. But those were network sitcoms with 22 episode orders. (Or Parks and Rec had a pretty bad six episode first season, then recalibrated a bit and got awesome in s2.) Reboot got 8 episodes for its first season cause this is 2022 and show orders keep shrinking.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, arc said:

A solid ep that really took advantage of the showbiz setting to build stories for Clay and Bree (and Hannah and Gordon, of course) that couldn't easily have been just any workplace sitcom. The Reed plot was a little shaggier though, and Zack remains almost disturbingly immature.

The Clay plot did feel a bit mechanical though. They've had that happen a few times this season already where a plot certainly makes sense, but it feels a bit rote as if advancing along a set formula. That's probably true of the Bree plot too, but I guess the seams were hidden better there.

When you put it that way, some of my favorite sitcoms didn't really find themselves till the 7th episode or so. But those were network sitcoms with 22 episode orders. (Or Parks and Rec had a pretty bad six episode first season, then recalibrated a bit and got awesome in s2.) Reboot got 8 episodes for its first season cause this is 2022 and show orders keep shrinking.

True. But Steven levitan has a track record and I think they will give some leeway for that in renewal consideration. 

• Love 1

Some really funny lines this episode:

"This was a gift from my husband when I caught him balls deep in his secretary."

"There's that darkness."

"If I walk too fast my uterus will fall out."

"Next time, go for the free pants."

Brie's lines every time someone complimented her:

"Okay, she's my new favorite."

"I am obsessed with you." 

"Okay, where have you been hiding, superstar?"

Edited by Faceplant
added a quote
  • Like 2
On 10/15/2022 at 10:50 AM, Corgi-ears said:

This show reminds me of Kevin Can Fuck Himself. Both shows begin with premises that seem to allow them to comment on and satirize comedic conventions, but immediately show no actual interest in those premises, instead pushing them to the background so that they just become generic settings.

That's what I was thinking in this last ep, that I just needed to forget the pilot of this show existed and accept it's a workplace comedy about people making a sitcom after a break from years. Hannah's basically just Gordon's less-experienced but professional co-showrunner. The show they're writing sounds terrible so luckily we don't have to watch it. I can just enjoy what's funny about the show that exists.

I did really enjoy Reed's antics on the court. Always good to let KMK go off. The Yeshiva and Urkel trashtalk (especially as a stepdown to his playing like Niles Crane) was great.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

That's what I was thinking in this last ep, that I just needed to forget the pilot of this show existed and accept it's a workplace comedy about people making a sitcom after a break from years. Hannah's basically just Gordon's less-experienced but professional co-showrunner. The show they're writing sounds terrible so luckily we don't have to watch it. I can just enjoy what's funny about the show that exists.

I did the same thing with 30 Rock. TGS sounded like a horrible show (robot bears?), but I loved the show enough not to think too much about it. Some of the titles of Zach's straight to video movies remind me of Tracy Jordan's made up movies on 30 Rock. 

I can buy that all the actors on Step Right Up are willing to do the show even with the change of direction in writing because they need the money or haven't been able to land other roles, but I don't get why Hannah was willing to let her dad take over the show and make it essentially the same sitcom as it was. 

Clay's outtakes were funny as he was trying to say the lines. He just really needed a hug. 

Edited by Faceplant
Used the word JUST way too much
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

I did really enjoy Reed's antics on the court. Always good to let KMK go off. The Yeshiva and Urkel trashtalk (especially as a stepdown to his playing like Niles Crane) was great, as was the whole.

I'm realizing as I watched this latest episode, this isn't a sitcom about a sitcom, it's a sitcom.  I'm still enjoying it though.  Especially liked the sitcom-based-trash-talking from the tweens (sorry, men!).

• Like 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Faceplant said:

Some really funny lines this episode:

"This was a gift from my husband when I caught him balls deep in his secretary."

"There's that darkness."

"If I walk too fast my uterus will fall out."

"Next time, go for the free pants."

Brie's lines every time someone complimented her:

"Okay, she's my new favorite."

"I am obsessed with you." 

"Okay, where have you been hiding, superstar?"

I liked the line I think 'how do they know these references' with the kids repeatedly referring to old sitcoms from the 80s. 

32 minutes ago, Faceplant said:

I did the same thing with 30 Rock. TGS sounded like a horrible show (robot bears?), but I loved the show enough not to think too much about it. Some of the titles of Zach's straight to video movies remind me of Tracy Jordan's made up movies on 30 Rock. 

I can buy that all the actors on Step Right Up are willing to do the show even with the change of direction in writing because they need the money or haven't been able to land other roles, but I don't get why Hannah was willing to let her dad take over the show and make it essentially the same sitcom as it was. 

Clay's outtakes were funny as he was trying to say the lines. He just really needed a hug. 

Clays outtakes reminded me of tracy trying to do promos. 

'I'm black nbc.....very proud......right my bologna?!!' 

'I think we got it!'

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I liked the line I think 'how do they know these references' with the kids repeatedly referring to old sitcoms from the 80s. 

Clays outtakes reminded me of tracy trying to do promos. 

'I'm black nbc.....very proud......right my bologna?!!' 

'I think we got it!'

I can hear the way Tracy delivered those lines just reading them and it still makes me laugh. Also, I can't read your username without automatically pronouncing it spa-chi-men. Dr. Leo had so many weird and awesome lines. 

Those boys did have an impressive knowledge of eighties sitcoms. Sorry, I mean those men. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 10/18/2022 at 4:00 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I'm realizing as I watched this latest episode, this isn't a sitcom about a sitcom, it's a sitcom.  I'm still enjoying it though.  Especially liked the sitcom-based-trash-talking from the tweens (sorry, men!).

I was in tears during the final basketball game. “this time Goliath wins, motherfuckers!”

Edited by Aileen
  • Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

I loved Zach saying the team was men because of the bar mitzvahs. Really, the basketball trash talk was my favorite part of the episode. 

I agree that it's just not following the original premise, so we have to either stop watching or accept that the pilot was a bait and switch and just go with it.

I liked Bree getting called on her ego stuff and being told to just be funny. It wasn't a funny moment but it needed to be said. I also liked that Hannah wasn't putting up with it. I just don't have any patience for that behavior and I don't find it funny, so I was glad when the show decided to actually address it instead of making it a forever irritation.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I loved Zach saying the team was men because of the bar mitzvahs. Really, the basketball trash talk was my favorite part of the episode. 

I also loved “somebody call a doctor” being followed by all of the kids saying “my dad, my mom  is a doctor.”  As a fellow Jew I thought all the Jewish references were gold.  And Zach played “the goy best friend” in a movie!!

• Like 2
  • Love 5
40 minutes ago, Seelouis said:

I also loved “somebody call a doctor” being followed by all of the kids saying “my dad, my mom  is a doctor.”  As a fellow Jew I thought all the Jewish references were gold.  And Zach played “the goy best friend” in a movie!!

Gary Gulman does a great bit about being in a Jewish basketball league. 

• LOL 4

I actually think Step Right Up is modernized to a point. They were talking about a plot of Bree going to a protest, which I don't think you'd see in the 90s. 

But Reed not being able to go because he has an injury from being a secret ballerina is the ridiculous part. 

I laughed hard when the kids called Reed "Urkle" he yelled back "did I do that?!" when he schooled him. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I actually think Step Right Up is modernized to a point. They were talking about a plot of Bree going to a protest, which I don't think you'd see in the 90s. 

To protest the closing of her favorite bookstore? Sure they would. Even the Brady Bunch did something similar.

2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I laughed hard when the kids called Reed "Urkle" he yelled back "did I do that?!" when he schooled him. 

That was possibly my favorite moment - so funny.

• Love 2

The show is not as satirical as the pilot, but I'm okay with what it is at the moment.  The show pitch was about Hannah wanting to expose her father and get revenge on him, but instead both of them have decided they want some kind of relationship, and if they collaborate the show allows them to have that.

When Reed was suiting up for the basketball game - getting his sneakers out of a box - I thought I knew where the game was going, but in the end it was much funnier than I imagined.

• Love 2

S01.E08: Who's the Boss

(Season Finale)
reboot_108_md_02137rt.jpg

Bree gets hit with surprising news during an on camera interview just as Reed gets a surprise visitor. Clay struggles with buying a house. Hannah and Gordon learn that there’s been a regime change at Hulu that does not bode well for the show.

Premiere Date: October 25, 2022  

This episode was fun, but I can't help but think that Clay's agent, everyone else's agent, and the entertainment reporter on set would all know about the executive shakeup at Hulu.

"Alright, speaking of comic monsters," -- give that tour guide a raise!

Starting from the moment Gordon got back to set, it was really telegraphing that he'd quit to save the show. But it was still a nice moment when he told Hannah, even if Hannah was also right that he could have at least tried apologizing and not doing so was him effectively abandoning her again.

Bree's plot here has felt very Jenna Maroney, esp in telling a ridiculous lie and then it spinning out of control, but the way it ended felt a lot more heartfelt than 30 Rock ever let itself get.

It's only a shame this ep was (probably) written before all the post-merger chaos and cancellations at WBD.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I really liked they had Reed say exactly what happened and not get into a wacky misunderstanding by trying to make up a story.

I'm not sure about the series overall though. The pilot really implied it was going to be a different show than it was. It was really just a workplace sitcom rather than a take on reboots. It wasn't bad, but it felt kind of been there done that.

• Like 1
On 10/25/2022 at 3:06 AM, arc said:

But it was still a nice moment when he told Hannah, even if Hannah was also right that he could have at least tried apologizing and not doing so was him effectively abandoning her again.

He's too rich and too old to apologize to a guy like that, and it wouldn't have worked anyway. Just bought some time. Peter Gallagher is too rich and to old to forget Gordon over performing and wouldn't have let it go. When Gordon stormed out and Hannah was still there, he said as much. 

I was really worried about Clay falling off the wagon. 

• Love 2

That was the season finale?  Oh no. I enjoyed this series even if I always did forget it had been released and found myself catching up later in the week. 

I'm okay with the blend of heartfelt and spoofing TV production.  The latter has also been done and I usually get a little weary of it after a while.

Clay calling Bree "duchess" all season long did make me wonder if they were potentially building up to having the two of them sleep together. 

I think it's funny that the show started out as a "we're gonna update this 90s comedy" type of show but in the end it's the same goofy show just updated with cuss words and nudity. Very clever and for someone who really doesn't care much for the goofy type shows of the 80s and early 90s, I really enjoyed this. The cast is superb. Paul Reiser is a comic genius and I enjoyed seeing Rachel Bloom again. I really love them all but the standout for me was Rose Abdoo as Selma. It takes me a while to start remembering character names so I was already calling her Selma in my head and then I came here and cackled when I saw it actually was the character's name. Brilliant. The writer's room stuff was my absolute fave thing in the show. 

The writers room are the best scenes for me just because Selma gets to make a crack to steal the scene. Even when she's not in the scene. "They went on social media. Everything was going ok then they found a picture of a nude Selma with a young Gabe Kapler."

• Like 1
  • Love 1