Type keyword(s) to search

HOTD Family Tree and Character Guide: Keeping Up With the Targashians

• Start Topic

-King Jaehaerys I Targaryen, "the Old King", called a Great Council in 101 AC to prevent a succession conflict after his first and second sons had both predeceased him m. Princess Alysanne of House Targaryen (his sister)

• Prince Aemon Targaryen m. Lady Jocelyn of House Baratheon (his parents' younger half-sister/his aunt)
    • Princess Rhaenys Targaryen Velaryon, "the Queen Who Never Was", her royal claim passed over at the Great Council of 101 AC, in favor of her younger cousin Viserys I m. Lord Corlys of House Velaryon, "the Sea Snake", returned to war in the Stepstones after the loss of their son, where he took a grave wound which led to a succession challenge by his brother, then recovered in time to join the council of his daughter-in-law Queen Rhaenyra I
      • Ser Laenor Velaryon, fought in his father's forces in their first war on the Stepstones, allegedly killed shortly after his sister's funeral, though in actuality he and his current paramour fled to Essos once another man was killed in his place m. Princess Rhaenyra of House Targaryen (his second cousin)
        • Prince Jacaerys "Jace" Velaryon, betrothed to his stepsister/cousin Princess Baela, Prince of Dragonstone and heir to the Iron Throne upon his grandfather's death and his mother's ascension
        • Prince Lucerys "Luke" Velaryon, the Sea Snake's intended heir in the time between Ser Laenor's "death" and Luke's own death; mutilated his half-uncle Prince Aemond by slashing through his eye, an act of self-defense as his, his elder brother's, and both Princess Baela's and Princess Rhaena's lives were being threatened, betrothed to his stepsister/cousin Princess Rhaena, became the first royal causalty of the succession conflict between his mother and his half-uncle Aegon, when he was slain, while acting as a peaceful envoy, by his half-uncle Aemond with his dragon outside Storm's End
        • Prince Joffrey "Joff" Velaryon (named for Ser Laenor's murdered lover)
      • Laena Velaryon, rejected at age 12 for a betrothal to King Viserys I in favor of Alicent Hightower, suicide by dragonfire during a difficult childbirth m. Prince Daemon of House Targaryen (her first cousin once-removed)
        • Princess Baela Targaryen (named for her paternal grandfather/maternal great-uncle), fostered by her grandmother Princess Rhaenys on Driftmark after her father's remarriage until she was betrothed to her stepbrother/cousin Prince Jacaerys
        • Princess Rhaena Targaryen (named for her maternal grandmother/paternal first cousin once-removed), betrothed to her stepbrother/cousin Prince Lucerys until his untimely death
        • unnamed unborn babe, stuck in the birth canal during labor and then destroyed with Lady Laena by Vhagar's dragonfire
  • Prince Baelon Targaryen, "Baelon the Brave", died of a burst belly 5 days after his father named him the King's Hand m. Princess Alyssa of House Targaryen (his sister, see below)
  • Princess Alyssa Targaryen m. Prince Baelon of House Targaryen (her brother, see above)
    • King Viserys I Targaryen, "Viserys the Peacerful", wielder of the ancestral Valyrian steel sword Blackfyre (passed from king-to-king), died in his bed after a very long illness 1stm. Lady Aemma of House Arryn (his first cousin, see below) 2ndm. Lady Alicent of House Hightower
      • Queen Rhaenyra I Targaryen, "the Realm's Delight", eldest child of King Viserys I overall, and only surviving child by Queen Aemma, named Princess of Dragonstone and first female heir to the Iron Throne before her father's remarriage, crowned with her father's crown upon his death 1stm. Ser Laenor of House Velaryon (her second cousin), allegedly killed shortly after his sister's funeral, though in actuality he and his current paramour fled to Essos once another man was killed in his place, in a plot agreed to by Ser Laenor, his lover, Prince Daemon and Princess Rhaenyra, to facilitate her remarriage 2ndm. Prince Daemon of House Targaryen (her uncle)
        • Prince Jacaerys "Jace" Velaryon, (actually sired by Ser Harwin Strong), betrothed to his stepsister/cousin Princess Baela, Prince of Dragonstone and heir to the Iron Throne upon his grandfather's death and his mother's ascension
        • Prince Lucerys "Luke" Velaryon, (actually sired by Ser Harwin Strong), the Sea Snake's intended heir in the time between Ser Laenor's "death" and Luke's own death; mutilated his half-uncle Prince Aemond by slashing through his eye, an act of self-defense as his, his elder brother's, and both Princess Baela's and Princess Rhaena's lives were being threatened, betrothed to his stepsister/cousin Princess Rhaena, became the first royal causalty of the succession conflict when he was slain, while acting as a peaceful envoy, by his half-uncle Aemond with his dragon outside Storm's End
        • Prince Joffrey "Joff" Velaryon, (named for Ser Laenor's murdered lover and actually sired by Ser Harwin Strong)
        • Prince Aegon Targaryen, "Aegon the Younger", (presumably named for Aegon the Conqueror, not his half-uncle)
        • Prince Viserys Targaryen, (named for his maternal grandfather/paternal uncle King Viserys I)
        • Princess Visenya Targaryen, a stillborn babe who came prematurely after the stressful news of the death of King Viserys I was given
      • King Aegon II Targaryen, "Aegon the Elder", first surviving son of King Viserys I and his firstborn child by Queen Alicent, wielder of the Valyrian steel sword Blackfyre after his father's death and crowned with the Conqueror's crown m. Princess Helaena of House Targaryen (his only full sister, see below)
      • Queen Helaena Targaryen, second daughter and third child of King Viserys I overall and secondborn child by Queen Alicent m. Prince Aegon of House Targaryen (her elder brother, see above)
        • Prince Jaehaerys Targaryen
        • Princess Jaehaera Targaryen
      • Prince Aemond Targaryen, "Aemond One-Eye", second son and fourth child overall of King Viserys I, his thirdborn child by Queen Alicent, who lost an eye to a blade wielded by his bastard half-nephew Lucerys after he was ambushed for claiming Vhagar as his dragon, a loss avenged years later by Vhagar when she destroyed the bastard Lucerys and his dragon in the skies outside Storm's End, shortly after Prince Aemond betrothed himself to Lady Floris Baratheon in return for her father's fealty to King Aegon II
    • Prince Daemon Targaryen, wielder of the Valyrian steel sword Dark Sister 1stm. Lady Rhea of House Royce, a wife abandoned in the Vale until her untimely death in a hunting accident 2ndm. Lady Laena of House Velaryon (his first cousin once-removed), suicide by dragonfire during a difficult childbirth 3rdm. Princess Rhaenyra of House Targaryen (his niece)
      • Princess Baela Targaryen (named for her paternal grandfather/maternal great-uncle), fostered by her grandmother Princess Rhaenys on Driftmark after her father's remarriage until she was betrothed to her stepbrother/cousin Prince Jacaerys
      • Princess Rhaena Targaryen (named for her maternal grandmother/paternal first cousin once-removed), betrothed to her stepbrother/cousin Prince Lucerys until his untimely death
      • Prince Aegon Targaryen, "Aegon the Younger", (presumably named for Aegon the Conqueror, not his half-uncle)
      • Prince Viserys Targaryen, (named for his maternal grandfather/paternal uncle King Viserys I)
      • Princess Visenya Targaryen, a stillborn babe who came prematurely after the stressful news of the death of King Viserys I was given
  • Princess Daella Targaryen m. Lord Rodrik of House Arryn
    • Queen Aemma Arryn Targaryen, died in her final childbirth m. King Viserys I of House Targaryen (her first cousin, see above), "Viserys the Peaceful", died in his bed after a very long illness 
      • Queen Rhaenyra I Targaryen, "the Realm's Delight", Princess of Dragonstone and first female heir to the Iron Throne, crowned with her father's crown upon his death 1stm. Ser Laenor of House Velaryon (her second cousin), allegedly killed shortly after his sister's funeral, though in actuality he and his current paramour fled to Essos once another man was killed in his place, in a plot agreed to by Ser Laenor, his lover, Prince Daemon and Princess Rhaenyra, to facilitate her remarriage 2ndm. Prince Daemon of House Targaryen (her uncle)
        • (see above)
      • 1 child dead in infancy, 2 babes born dead, & 2 unborn babes dead in the womb
      • Prince Baelon Targaryen, (named for his paternal grandfather/maternal granduncle), "heir for a day" who died hours after his mother

Council and Kingsguard of King Viserys I Targaryen

Ser Otto Hightower, Hand of the King to Jaehaerys I in his final days who continued serving for Viserys I, until Viserys stripped him of his post, then made the Hand again years later, after Lord Strong's tragic demise

Lord Lyonel Strong, formerly Master of Laws and then the second Hand of the King to Viserys I after Ser Otto was stripped of his post, killed in a fire at home in Harrenhal

Prince Daemon Targaryen, former Commander of the City Watch, previously Master of Laws and Master of Coin, left Westoros to join Lord Velaryon's war against the triarchy in the Stepstones, twice banished from court and only welcomed home after the death of his second wife

Lord Corlys Velaryon, "the Sea Snake", Master of Ships and husband to "the Queen Who Never Was", left Westoros to join Prince Daemon in war against the triarchy in the Stepstones, returned to war in the Stepstones after the loss of his son, where he took a grave wound which led to a succession challenge by his brother

Grand Maester Mellos, healer and adviser, presumably died of natural causes some time after Princess Rhaenyra wed Ser Laenor

Grand Maester Orwyle, healer and adviser, formerly just one of several maesters helping to tend the many ailments of Viserys I

Lord Lyman Beesbury, Master of Coin, became the first bloodshed in the Targaryen succession conflict when he was killed by Ser Criston Cole for remaining loyal to the will of his king and opposing the treason of his fellow councillors

Ser Tyland Lannister, Master of Ships after the Sea Snake's departure

Lord Jasper Wylde, "Ironrod", Master of Laws after Lord Strong's promotion

Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, a seated adviser as the king's heiress, formerly royal cupbearer, eventually left her father's court after the birth of Prince Joffrey

Queen Alicent Hightower, queen consort and adviser on behalf of her children 

Lord Commander Ryam Redwyne, legendary knight and Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, died in his sleep of an illness

Lord Commander Harrold Westerling, veteran kingsguard and former sworn shield of Princess Rhaenyra, promoted to Lord Commander after Ser Ryam's death, removed his white cloak after the death of King Viserys I in opposition to Ser Otto's treason

Ser Criston Cole, commonborn son of House Dondarrion's steward with some Dornish heritage, veteran of border fighting against Dornish raiders for which he was knighted, named to the Kingsguard to fill the vacancy after Ser Ryam's death and chosen as Princess Rhaenyra's new sworn shield (and her paramour for one night), became Queen Alicent's sworn shield instead after Princess Rhaenyra's (first) wedding

Ser Steffon Darklyn, a knight of the Kingsguard, stationed in Princess Rhaenyra's household on Dragonstone [s01e02 & s01e10 captions]

Ser Arryk Cargyll, a knight of the Kingsguard and identical twin to fellow kingsguard Ser Erryk

Ser Erryk Cargyll, a knight of the Kingsguard and identical twin to fellow kingsguard Ser Arryk, formerly Prince Aegon the Elder's sworn shield until the throne was usurped in the name of his unworthy charge, whereupon he freed Princess Rhaenys from unlawful confinement to leave King's Landing, breaking with his sworn brothers, including his twin brother Ser Arryk

Ser Lorent Marbrand, a knight of the Kingsguard stationed in Princess Rhaenyra's household on Dragonstone [s01e10 captions]

Council, Kingsguard, and Allies of King Aegon II Targaryen

Ser Otto Hightower, Hand of the King to his grandson Aegon II, as he was to Jaehaerys I and Viserys I before him

Queen Alicent Hightower, adviser to her son Aegon II

Grand Maester Orwyle, healer and adviser

Ser Tyland Lannister, Master of Ships (and secret Master of Coin who took charge of the royal treausury as soon as Viserys I died) 

Lord Jasper Wylde, "Ironrod", Master of Laws

Lord Larys Strong, "the Clubfoot", Lord Confessor at the Red Keep and closest confidant/ally to Queen Alicent

Lord Commander Criston Cole, Queen Alicent's most loyal protector after suffering from the indecency of his former charge, Princess Rhaenyra, promoted to Lord Commander of the Kingsguard after the death of Viserys I and the desertion of Ser Harrold Westerling

Ser Arryk Cargyll, a knight of the Kingsguard who remained loyal to Aegon II even after his identical twin Ser Erryk deserted his post

Lord Borros Baratheon, betrothed his daughter to Prince Aemond to strengthen his ties to the true king

Council, Queensguard, and Allies of Queen Rhaenyra I Targaryen

Prince Daemon Targaryen, prince consort and commander of the royal armies

Lord Corlys Velaryon, former father-in-law to the Queen and commander of the royal fleet

Princess Rhaenys Targaryen, "the Queen Who Never Was",  cousin/former mother-in-law to the Queen, helping her husband's fleet blockade the sea lanes from the air on dragonback

Prince Jacaerys Velaryon, Prince of Dragonstone and heir to the Iron Throne, sent as an envoy to the Eyrie and Winterfell

Princess Baela Targaryen, intended future consort of her stepbrother/cousin, Jacaerys, Prince of Dragonstone 

Princess Rhaena Targaryen, royal cupbearer for her stepmother Queen Rhaenyra I, betrothed to her stepbrother/cousin Prince Lucerys until his untimely death

Prince Lucerys Velaryon, intended heir to Lord Corlys Velaryon, sent as an envoy to Storm's End where he was rejected by Lord Borros Baratheon and then treacherously slain with his dragon by his half-uncle Prince Aemond

Maester Gerardys, healer and adviser who had been serving the household in Dragonstone for years

Lord Bartimos Celtigar, a loyal lord sworn to Dragonstone

Lord Simon Staunton, a loyal lord sworn to Dragonstone

Ser Lorent Marbrand, a knight of the Queensguard already stationed with Rhaenyra I on Dragonstone [s01e10 captions]

Ser Steffon Darklyn, a knight of the Queensguard already stationed with Rhaenyra I on Dragonstone, who had first taken his vows for Jaehaerys I and continued serving loyally through the reign of Viserys I [s01e02 & s01e10 captions]

Ser Erryk Cargyll, formerly Prince Aegon the Elder's sworn shield until the throne was usurped in the name of his unworthy charge, whereupon he freed Princess Rhaenys from unlawful confinement to leave King's Landing, breaking with his sworn brothers, including his twin brother Ser Arryk, then came to Dragonstone to join the Queensguard of Rhaenyra I and deliver her father's crown

Lords Darklyn, Massey, and Bar Emmon, other loyal Crownlands lords who answered Prince Daemon's requests for fealty via raven messages

Dragons, courtiers, vassal lords, and other supporting characters

Balerion, "the Black Dread", a dragon House Targaryen brought from Valyria to Dragonstone and therefore the last surviving being to have known Valyria before its Doom after outliving several Targaryen partners; ridden by King Aegon I Targaryen during his Conquest and briefly ridden by King Viserys I Targaryen, who chose not to claim another dragon after Balerion's death and instead preserved his skull in memory

Syrax, the golden she-dragon ridden by Queen Rhaenyra I since childhood, named for a Valryian goddess

Caraxes, "the Blood Wyrm", Prince Daemon's red dragon, with an elongated neck, webbing between his legs, and a forked tail

Vhagar, "Queen of all Dragons", the oldest and largest surviving dragon, a dark green she-dragon ridden by King Aegon I's sister-wife Queen Visenya during their Conquest, next ridden by Prince Baelon the Brave (father of King Viserys I and Prince Daemon), then claimed by Lady Laena Velaryon at age 15, reluctuctly burned Lady Laena with dragonfire at her command to save her from death in childbed, then claimed by Prince Aemond the night after Lady Laena's funeral, drew first blood in the Targaryen civil war when she killed the dragon Arrax and his rider Prince Lucerys, avenging the maiming of Prince Aemond

Draemfyre, the she-dragon who produced the egg which Princess Rhaenrya had chosen for the lost Prince Baelon, an egg later briefly stolen by Prince Daemon; claimed by Princess Helaena

Seasmoke, Ser Laenor Velaryon's silver-and-pink dragon

Meleys, "the Red Queen", the scarlet-and-copper she-dragon with grey horns ridden by Princess Rhaenys, "the Queen Who Never Was", who helped interrupt the coronation held in the Dragonpit for the usurper styled Aegon II

Vermax, the olive-and-orange dragon bonded from birth to Prince Jacaerys

Sunfyre, King Aegon II's dragon 

Moondancer, the dragon bonded from birth to Princess Baela

Arrax, the grey-and-red dragon bonded from birth to Prince Lucerys, slain with his rider by Vhagar, ridden by Prince Aemond, in the skies outside Storm's End

Tyraxes, the dragon bonded from birth to Prince Joffrey

Vermithor, "the Bronze Fury", the second largest surviving dragon after Vhagar, living on Dragonstone but unclaimed since the death of his rider King Jaehaerys I

Silverwing, an older she-dragon living on Dragonstone but unclaimed since the death of her rider Queen Alysanne

House Velaryon of Driftmark

-Lord Corlys Velaryon, "the Sea Snake", (see council lists above), returned to war in the Stepstones after the loss of his son, where he took a grave wound which led to a succession challenge by his brother, then recovered in time to join the council of his daughter-in-law Queen Rhaenyra I  m. Princess Rhaenys of House Targaryen, "the Queen Who Never Was"

• (see Targaryen family tree above)

-Ser Vaemond Velaryon, Lord Corlys's younger brother, fought for his brother in Lord Velaryon's first Stepstones war, and unsuccessfully tried to challenge the succession to Driftmark (as the nearest Velaryon male kin of unimpeachable legitimate blood) after Lord Corlys took a grave wound in his second war against the Triarchy, then beheaded by Prince Daemon after speaking illegal truths to King Viserys I and Princess Rhaenyra

-Ser Joffrey Lonmouth, "the Knight of Kisses", a knight sworn to House Velaryon who fought for them in the Stepstones in Lord Velaryon's first war there, also Ser Laenor's paramour until he was beaten to death by Ser Criston Cole on Ser Laenor's wedding day

-Ser Qarl Correy, a knight who fought in the Stepstones when war was renewed years after House Velaryon's and Prince Daemon's first victory there, Ser Laenor's paramour by the time of Prince Joffrey's birth, allegedly killed his patron shortly after Lady Laena's funeral, though in actuality he and Ser Laenor fled to Essos once another man was killed in his place, in a plot agreed to by Ser Laenor, Ser Qarl, Prince Daemon and Princess Rhaenyra, to facilitate her remarriage and Ser Laenor's freedom

-Maester Kelvyn, the healer and adviser serving House Velaryon, who treated the wounds of Prince Aemond and Princess Rhaenyra which were incurred the night after Lady Laena's funeral 

House Hightower of Oldtown

-Lord Hobert Hightower

-Ser Otto Hightower, Lord Hobert's younger brother and twice Hand of the King to Viserys I, after serving King Jaehaerys I in his final days, then continued as Hand to his grandson Aegon II after the death of Viserys I

• Ser Gwayne Hightower, Ser Otto's eldest son
  • Queen Alicent Hightower Targaryen, Ser Otto's daughter and childhood-friend-turned-enemy to Princess Rhaenyra m. King Viserys I of House Targaryen, "Viserys the Peaceful", died in his bed after a very long illness
    • (see Targaryen family tree above)

House Baratheon of Storm's End (maternal family of Princess Rhaenys Targaryen, "the Queen Who Never Was", and more distant kin to the rest of House Targaryen)

-Lord Boremund Baratheon, hosted Princess Rhaenyra at Storm's End as she assessed prospective suitors, presumably died of natural causes some time after her visit

• Lord Borros Baratheon, son and heir to Lord Boremund, a loyal supporter of King Aegon II
    • Floris Baratheon, daughter of Lord Borros, betrothed to Prince Aemond
    • 3 other unnamed daughters

House Lannister of Casterly Rock

-Ceira Lannister, attended Queen Alicent's party during the royal hunt for Prince Aegon's 2nd name-day, exact relation to Lord Jason and Ser Tyland unclear (presumably their mother or perhaps unmarried aunt)

-Lord Jason Lannister, a failed suitor of Princess Rhaenyra and (slightly elder) twin of Ser Tyland

-Ser Tyland Lannister, Lord Jason's (slightly younger) twin and Master of Ships for King Viserys I after the Sea Snake's departure, who continued in loyal service to Aegon II (see council lists above)

House Stark of Winterfell 

-Lord Rickon Stark, presumably died of natural causes some time after swearing his oath to King Viserys I's chosen heir

• Lord Cregan Stark

House Tully of Riverrun

-Lord Grover Tully, a lord so aged that his heir is already ruling the riverlands in his place 

House Arryn of the Eyrie (maternal kin of Queen Rhaenyra I Targaryen and more distant cousins to the rest of House Targaryen)

-Lady Jeyne Arryn, ruling Lady of the Vale

House Martell of Sunspear (ruling in Dorne, a region only nominally claimed by the Iron Throne in this time)

-Prince Qoren Martell, ruling prince of Dorne, allied with the Triarchy when they re-emerged to renew war against Westorosi ships in the Stepstones 

House Beesbury of Honeyholt

-Lord Lyman Beesbury (see council list above), became the first bloodshed in the Targaryen succession conflict when he was killed by Ser Criston Cole in the first council meeting after the death of Viserys I, for remaining loyal to the will of his king and opposing the treason of his fellow councillors

House Strong of Harrenhal

-Lord Lyonel Strong, Hand of the King to Viserys I after Ser Otto's dismissal (see council list above), left to escort his heir back to Harrenhal, where they were both slain in a fire set by convicts working at the behest of his younger son

• Ser Harwin "Breakbones" Strong, Lord Lyonel's elder son, Commander of the City Watch (and Princess Rhaenyra's paramour) until shortly before his death, slain with his father at Harrenhal in a fire set by convicts working at the behest of his younger brother
  • Lord Larys Strong, Lord Lyonel's younger son, crippled by a clubfoot, inherited Harrenhal after the tragic deaths of his father and elder brother, Lord Confessor at the Red Keep and closest confidant/ally to Queen Alicent

House Royce of Runestone

-Rhea Royce Targaryen, heiress to Runestone until her untimely death m. Prince Daemon of House Targaryen, who failed to consummate the marriage and later killed the Lady Rhea by smashing his wife's skull in with a rock after startling her horse and causing her to fall

-Ser Gerold Royce, a cousin to the Lady Rhea who suspects Prince Daemon's hand in her death

House Redwyne of the Arbor

-Ser Ryam Redwyne, legendary knight and Lord Commander of the Kingsguard for Viserys I until he died in his sleep of an illness

-Joselyn Redwyne, attended Queen Alicent's party during the royal hunt for Prince Aegon's 2nd name-day, exact relation to Ser Ryam unclear

House Caron

-Ser Royce Caron

• Ser Desmond Caron, Ser Royce's son, a lauded tourney knight who brought a would-be poacher to justice in the Kingswood on his way to King's Landing, where he was rejected by Princess Rhaenyra for a spot in the Kingsguard in favor of Ser Criston Cole

House Mallister of Seagard

-Lord Lymond Mallister

• Ser Rymun Mallister, Lord Lymond's son, knighted at 18, victor of the melee at Cider Hall, where he was the last mounted of a group of 23 knights, rejected by Princess Rhaenyra for a spot in the Kingsguard in favor of Ser Criston Cole

House Dondarrion of Blackhaven

-Lord Beric Dondarrion, a failed suitor of Princess Rhaenyra who was old enough to have met Queen Alysanne, and presumably the same Lord Dondarrion that Ser Criston Cole's father served as steward

-Ser Arlan Dondarrion, the man who knighted Ser Criston Cole during their campaigns in the Dornish Marches, exact relation to Lord Beric unknown

House Caswell

-Lord Allun Caswell, a supporter of Princess Rhaenyra who was among the first to congratulate her and Ser Laenor upon the birth of Prince Joffrey, hanged as a traitor on the orders of Ser Otto Hightower, after swearing a false oath of fealty to the usurper Aegon II and then attempting to flee the Red Keep

House Swann

-Johanna Swann, captured by the Crabfeeder's men when one of Lord Swann's ships was attacked, rumored to have been sold to a pleasure house in Essos

House Stokeworth of Stokewoth

-Elinor Stokeworth, Lord Stokeworth's daughter, betrothed to a son of Lord Massey squiring for House Tarly; meant to wed after the said squire earned his knighthood though it's rumored Lady Elinor was already with child

Mysaria, "the White Worm", a former slave from a homeland she can no longer recall, Prince Daemon's chosen paramour and madam at a pleasure house until she changed professions to become a mistress of informers

-Jayne, a denizen of King's Landing working for Mysaria who helped the Kingsguard and the King's Hand find King Aegon II after his father's death [s01e09 captions]

Septa Marlow, governess and tutor to Princess Rhaenyra (and Alicent Hightower?)

Randyll Barret, a captain in the City Watch under Prince Daemon's command, helping sentence accused criminals to summary justice [s01e01 captions]

Samwell, Princess Rhaenyra's favorite bard

Howland Sharp, a royal huntsman [s01e03 captions]

Ser Addam, a knight of the royal household sent as a messenger to Prince Daemon on the Stepstones where he was beaten by the Prince upon arrival

Captain Oswin, captain of Princess Rhaenyra's ship on her failed tour to choose a husband

Annora, an unseen servant of Princess Rhaenyra's 

Elinda, a handmaiden serving Queen Rhaenyra I, in King's Landing and Dragonstone, before and after her ascension

Talya, a handmaiden serving Queen Alicent, and an informer reporting to Mysaria

Eddard, a servant helping King Viserys I with his model of Old Valyria

Dyana, a servant in the household of Prince Aegon/Princess Helaena, dismissed from service after the Prince forced himself on her

Septon Eustace, the royal septon who anointed King Aegon II and presided over his coronation [s01e09 captions]

Across the Narrow Sea

Craghas Drahar, "the Crabfeeder" and self-styled "Prince-Admiral of the Triarchy" (said to be a Myrish princeling with quiet support from the Free Cities), making war on the Stepstones islands against pirates and later progressing to attacking Westorosi ships and feeding their sailors to crabs, eventually killed by Prince Daemon after 3 years of war

Prince Reggio Haratis, the Prince of Pentos, host to Prince Daemon and Lady Laena at the time of her death

Edited by Lady S.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 8/23/2022 at 3:00 AM, CuriousParker said:

How about we add a small picture beside each name?  If you want me to do it, just let me know.

I’d love that. I’m terrible at names, but I never forget a face, so it would definitely help me keep them all straight.

• Love 3
On 8/23/2022 at 8:48 PM, all fall down said:

Thank you for this!

Wouldn't Baelon and Alyssa be Uncle/Niece not brother/sister?

They're brother and sister. Alyssa's paragraph above is formatted so it looks like she's Aemon's daughter but she's Jahaerys and Alysanne's daughter.

9 hours ago, ferjy said:

I’d love that. I’m terrible at names, but I never forget a face, so it would definitely help me keep them all straight.

The repetitiveness and similarity of Targaryen names is enough to confuse anybody! 

On 8/27/2022 at 7:11 AM, kassandra8286 said:

They're brother and sister. Alyssa's paragraph above is formatted so it looks like she's Aemon's daughter but she's Jahaerys and Alysanne's daughter.

The repetitiveness and similarity of Targaryen names is enough to confuse anybody! 

Thank you. That makes more sense now I know it's just formatted wrong. 

• Love 1

I don’t understand the writers’ choice to use the same names over and over and/or their predilection for very similar-sounding names. It makes it very difficult for the viewer to understand who’s who and why certain pairings and alliances are good or bad.

I suppose I can handwave that the repeated use of ae, rh, and ys is part of the Targaryen culture, but what is with the use of Joffrey? It seems needlessly confusing, not to mention that Joffrey is a Lannister/Baratheon name (plus the automatic association with a psychopath).

1 hour ago, Shermie said:

I don’t understand the writers’ choice to use the same names over and over and/or their predilection for very similar-sounding names. It makes it very difficult for the viewer to understand who’s who and why certain pairings and alliances are good or bad.

I suppose I can handwave that the repeated use of ae, rh, and ys is part of the Targaryen culture, but what is with the use of Joffrey? It seems needlessly confusing, not to mention that Joffrey is a Lannister/Baratheon name (plus the automatic association with a psychopath).

Larnor’s murdered boyfriend was ‘joffrey’. Larnor named him. 

• Like 2
(edited)
On 10/16/2022 at 9:03 PM, Affogato said:

Yeah, Alicent comments that it's "an odd choice" for a Targ/Velaryon kid. And while non-Valyrian families do repeat names too (like the Starks with all their Brandons), I don't think any non-Valyrian name is just for one or two families. Rather that there would be common names across a region and across neighboring regions. For example, in GoT, Theon Greyjoy killed Ser Rodrik Cassel, but one of his dead elder brothers was also named Rodrik. Or how Ned renamed his nephew/adopted son Jon, which was almost certainly an homage to foster father Jon Arryn, the man who raised Ned as if he were his own son.

ETA: I edited the title a bit because I couldn't resist after seeing the Kardashians joke multiple times. Hope that's ok, Your Modlinesses.

Edited by Lady S.
  • Love 3
On 10/16/2022 at 10:03 PM, Affogato said:

I know that. That’s my point. Why did the writers choose that name for that random character? Surely there are more names out there for them to use than one that’s already been used for a major GoT character. It’s annoying that the same names keep turning up.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Shermie said:

I know that. That’s my point. Why did the writers choose that name for that random character? Surely there are more names out there for them to use than one that’s already been used for a major GoT character. It’s annoying that the same names keep turning up.

I advise you to never look up English monarchs and royal lines, heh. Williams, Georges and Henrys abound by the dozen.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

I advise you to never look up English monarchs and royal lines, heh. Williams, Georges and Henrys abound by the dozen.

As well as Edwards and Richards. 

If I can keep all those straight (and I did for my British history course), then I can definitely keep the HotD crew straight. The spelling...ehhh.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 8/22/2022 at 6:41 PM, Lady S. said:

Ser Erryk Cargyll, a knight of the Kingsguard and identical twin to fellow kingsguard Ser Arryk, formerly Prince Aegon the Elder's sworn shield until the throne was usurped in the name of his unworthy charge

I'm glad we're not using value judgments on a thread whose purpose is to identify characters. 😉

But the real reason I posted was to say that I would have been OK if the writers had named one of the Cargylls Joe and the other Steve since TV is a visual medium.

On 10/18/2022 at 8:06 AM, Shermie said:

Because that is the name of the character in the books that this show is based on. For whatever reason they decided not to change any of the characters names that were created by George RR Martin.

• Applause 1
(edited)
On 10/18/2022 at 10:10 PM, Constantinople said:

I'm glad we're not using value judgments on a thread whose purpose is to identify characters. 😉

Only the same value judgment Erryk himself made to his brother in the child-fighting pit. Look at my descriptions of Aemond's eye loss on his entry vs. Luke's. I did the same thing on the GoT guide listing Robert as the Usurper in all the Targ entries and Joffrey as a bastard in the Stark ones. This technique only really got sticky with listing the official Bolton lines in their entries, but still.

I did have to break into the book wiki to look up which Cargyll twin was loyal to which monarch. Even the subtitles can't keep them straight when identifying them and it doesn't help that the names sound exactly the same to my ears. I'll give ol' Otto credit for somehow correctly and confidently identifying Erryk when sending him out in ep. 9. Way too cutesy in this case, GRRM.

Edited by Lady S.
On 10/18/2022 at 8:14 AM, SilverStormm said:

And going back further, to the real life people that the characters of The Last Kingdom are based on - Aethelflaed married Aethelred, there's Aelswith and Aelfwynn... Uhtred's father was Uhtred and his brother was Uhtred, and he was actually Osbert, but renamed and rebaptized Uhtred when Uhtred the brother died...  Then Uhtred's first son is named Uhtred and his second son is Osbert, not to be confused with Osferth the Baby Monk...

These types of nomenclatures are everywhere in this genre.

• Like 5
On 11/2/2022 at 9:08 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

And going back further, to the real life people that the characters of The Last Kingdom are based on - Aethelflaed married Aethelred, there's Aelswith and Aelfwynn... Uhtred's father was Uhtred and his brother was Uhtred, and he was actually Osbert, but renamed and rebaptized Uhtred when Uhtred the brother died...  Then Uhtred's first son is named Uhtred and his second son is Osbert, not to be confused with Osferth the Baby Monk...

These types of nomenclatures are everywhere in this genre.

I thought about the watching the Last Kingdom. I have to finish the Peaky Blinders.

Rickon and Dickon Wow I just can't keep up with these names lol

• LOL 1