Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: The Weight

• Start Topic

All in all I'd say that was a solid episode. Having said that, Harry is inconsiderate and hurts Asta's feelings but somehow manages to redeem himself by the end of the episode has been in basically every episode.

Here's a dark thought that would make a particular plotline more interesting: Kate went to the clinic to get a blood test to see if she was pregnant. What if she actually had an abortion? I doubt they'll go there (unless they think we really need some more conflict between Ben and Kate because that's always so interesting) but then again this is an episode where another baby got hit by a vehicle.

Also in the nasty department, Ethan finally manages to establish that he's not even supposed to be there today and gets yeeted off a cliff for his troubles. And then they dump his ass in ABQ with a needle full of heroin! I don't remember Ethan being a bad dude so I am not sure why the show needs to punish him this much.

Enver Gjokaj finally shows up again! Even though this military prison experiment bunker should be super top secret he has somehow found a way to get hired on as security. Interesting role reversal from the first role I saw him in which was as Victor on Dollhouse.

Nice to see Cletus again, I have been wondering where that cute lil sumbitch has been. And I'm glad we're moving on from the jealousy plot in the Sheriff's office. I don't need another season of Deputy Liv the Butt Monkey.

But of course Judy has a hairless cat. But of course.

• Love 1

The woman from the government alien-hunting group is really bad news.

I think the show suffers from the problem that they don't want to resolve the alien invasion plot too soon, because it leaves them without their major high stakes tension. I think the show can still be fun without it (honestly, I think it's the least interesting part of the show), but that will only work if people bond with the characters and take an interest in their lives outside of the Big Scary Mystery... and that doesn't seem to be happening.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
On 8/25/2022 at 1:33 AM, dwmarch said:

All in all I'd say that was a solid episode. Having said that, Harry is inconsiderate and hurts Asta's feelings but somehow manages to redeem himself by the end of the episode has been in basically every episode.

Here's a dark thought that would make a particular plotline more interesting: Kate went to the clinic to get a blood test to see if she was pregnant. What if she actually had an abortion? I doubt they'll go there (unless they think we really need some more conflict between Ben and Kate because that's always so interesting) but then again this is an episode where another baby got hit by a vehicle.

Also in the nasty department, Ethan finally manages to establish that he's not even supposed to be there today 

Enver Gjokaj finally shows up again! Even though this military prison experiment bunker should be super top secret he has somehow found a way to get hired on as security. Interesting role reversal from the first role I saw him in which was as Victor on Dollhouse.

I'm ashamed to say I don't remember Enver being on this show before, he's an incredible actor, I loved him on Dollhouse. When they showed that scene with the bodies getting their nails clipped etc I noticed the resemblance to Dollhouse, the way the bodies were laid out, then I saw Enver and heard the Dollhouse music in my head.

Enver is terribly underused as an actor in general. Anyone who has seen Dollhouse knows what I mean. Don't want to be spoilery, the show is definitely worth a watch and only two seasons long.

Edited by tveyeonyou
Edited because my kindle thinks Enver is so underused it changed his name to Never.
  • Love 1

LOL, coincidentally when I was watching my recording of this episode, right after Harry did his special call that confuses the brains for animals (and stupid humans) the dogs in the neighborhood started barking.

• LOL 8
3 hours ago, tveyeonyou said:

I'm ashamed to say I don't remember Enver being on this show before, he's an incredible actor, I loved him on Dollhouse. When they showed that scene with the bodies getting their nails clipped etc I noticed the resemblance to Dollhouse, the way the bodies were laid out, then I saw Enver and heard the Dollhouse music in my head.

Never is terribly underused as an actor in general. Anyone who has seen Dollhouse knows what I mean. Don't want to be spoilery, the show is definitely worth a watch and only two seasons long.

He was in the last episode before the break for about three seconds as the guy who shot at the agent who's collaborating with Linda Hamilton now. I never watched Dollhouse, but I remember Enver very fondly as Daniel Sousa in Agent Carter—the only character I'd ever consider in place of Steve Rogers as a romantic partner for Peggy. I first saw him as a bad guy on Law & Order: SVU during the Danny Pino seasons; it looks like I'll get to see him as a bad guy here, too. 

• Love 4

This episode was better than last week's,  of course I still FFWed most of the side characters scenes. 

On 8/25/2022 at 10:27 AM, possibilities said:

I think the show suffers from the problem that they don't want to resolve the alien invasion plot too soon, because it leaves them without their major high stakes tension. I think the show can still be fun without it (honestly, I think it's the least interesting part of the show), but that will only work if people bond with the characters and take an interest in their lives outside of the Big Scary Mystery... and that doesn't seem to be happening.

I think you are quite right. I would add that they resolved Harry's adjustment to Earth way too fast. That alone could had taken a few seasons. 
Those writers are not good. Not good in developing characters, not good in keeping a tight interesting plot. Even Sahar is annoying now (as someone already pointed out in the previous episode discussion).

The Sphynx cats are so trendy and quite expensive.  
Being hairless can cause them issues, even skin cancer. Sorry Judy...

• Like 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, kirinan said:

He was in the last episode before the break for about three seconds as the guy who shot at the agent who's collaborating with Linda Hamilton now. I never watched Dollhouse, but I remember Enver very fondly as Daniel Sousa in Agent Carter—the only character I'd ever consider in place of Steve Rogers as a romantic partner for Peggy. I first saw him as a bad guy on Law & Order: SVU during the Danny Pino seasons; it looks like I'll get to see him as a bad guy here, too. 

Thanks for the info, he's one of the best actors I've ever seen in my life, and I'm just going on Dollhouse. I don't want to get too spoilery but the Dollhouse is where uber rich people go to sort of rent people to fulfill their fantasy so the actors that play the Dolls have to portray all kinds of characters, the Dolls themselves are programmed to actually become whatever the client wants... so hard to explain this show but for an actor, they get to really stretch their acting abilities, and watching Enver is a joy! Alan Tudyk is in Dollhouse too, definitely worth watching!

• Like 3

I don’t know. I’m kind of tired of the alien baby plot. Just let Harry find the baby, learn the rest of the message and go on to the next part of the story, like stopping the evil aliens.

• Like 5
  • Love 4
On 8/26/2022 at 9:32 PM, rwlevin said:

I don’t know. I’m kind of tired of the alien baby plot. Just let Harry find the baby, learn the rest of the message and go on to the next part of the story, like stopping the evil aliens.

I wish they would have Harry raising the alien baby.  Showing how they both adjust to life on earth and learning how to "be" human.  All of these subplots take away from what would be more entertaining (at least to me).  I just don't care about most of the background/side plots of what should be minor/supporting characters.  It seems like the writers want to make everyone into a main character so it just gets cluttered.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

Here's a dark thought that would make a particular plotline more interesting: Kate went to the clinic to get a blood test to see if she was pregnant. What if she actually had an abortion?

I felt that it would have been realistic for an abortion to have at least been mentioned as an option since we knew that neither Ben nor Kate wanted another child, but the writers may have worried about losing some audience (or advertisers) over this topic. In any case, I don't know when it could have been mentioned because Ben and Kate were not being honest about their feelings after the initial positive test. 

Also in the nasty department, Ethan finally manages to establish that he's not even supposed to be there today and gets yeeted off a cliff for his troubles. And then they dump his ass in ABQ with a needle full of heroin!

I assume that the general pushed him off the cliff while he was holding the ball to prove that he could survive the fall, but he looked like he was badly injured so I'm not sure that was a useful test. Also, I'm surprised she didn't just finish him off and leave his body where it was. And I was confused by the scene of someone leaving him in ABQ and telling him to take his medicine--until I read the post above, I thought they really did give him medicine, though I didn't know what for. Now that I know it was heroin, I guess they wanted him to overdose himself, but what made the MIB so sure that he would inject himself? Just seems a lot easier for them to give him an overdose and stage it so it looks like he did it himself. Oh well, I need to stop worrying about the details of a crazy plot.    

I'm not sure if this is the right episode to ask this question, but can anyone explain the names that were written under Galvan & Powell on the page that was hidden under the painting in Sam Hodges office, and how those names are related to the medical records that the police found? At one point (before this episode, I think) I thought that the medical records were for the people whose names were written under Galvan & Powell. But in this episode, Liv and Asta interviewed relatives of the people those medical records were for, and it became clear that the medical records were for local people who died. I'm pretty sure the names on the page hidden under the painting were not local people. Were they G & P employees who were covering up the poisoning of the creek? If so, how were they connected to Harry and Sam?

Outlier again. I thought this episode was slow. First time I really felt annoyed by all the plots. I no longer like sahar at all she’s bossy and stupid. The power struggle over the alien baby makes no sense at all. Why wouldn’t she let it be raised by one of its own kind? 

so what were all those symptoms Beth was having if she’s not pregnant- things tasting funny etc? 

I am also an outlier in that I am interested in Darcy. I like the actress and she makes me care about the character.

• Like 1