Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Evening Wear

GaT
  • Start Topic

Ten designers arrive in Los Angeles, California, ready to win a million dollars. In order to stay in the running, they must impress the judges with two evening gowns that represent their brand.

Edited by GaT

LOVED the opening on Rodeo Drive with a cast of folks in a “tourist” car and Tim’s final sarcastic reference to how “unscripted” it was showing the car and all the production. 

several designers in the hunt for the big win.  I really liked “festival girl” and her outfits, especially the textures she created in the skirt with the scarves. Oh well! Seems like it’s going to be Brazil vs China based on these looks, but things can change.

• Love 3
(edited)

Love when Heidi told Emily not to take it personal. LOL, how else is she supposed to take it?

I did love Sienna's gown though, it was really beautiful.

Edited by GaT
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I thought Heidi looked ridiculous in her opening outfit. But I guess that’s LA. Turtleneck plus long sleeve coat plus bare midriff.

i hated Rafael and his burlap plus sequins. Of coarse Heidi loved it.

i think Gabriella is cannon fodder. Corset over blazer. Yeah.

and what does it mean for fashion to be URGENT?

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Why were the judges so impressed with the flour/water cracked paste w/glaze?  Can't be cleaned, so it's basically wear once and pitch.  Add to that it looks very stiff and scratchy with a junior high science fair vibe.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 12

So of course, Heidi's favorites are not mine.  I still find it interesting after all these years (this show and her original one) that I think she has really tacky taste and yet she headlines fashion competitions.  Huge fuschia wings over glittery sequins?  Not my favorite, but hey, top three.

Overall though I felt like there were many wonderful and exciting looks.  I did look for the winning "collection" on the Amazon site but couldn't find it.  It seems to me that a couple of seasons ago someone one Project Runway had a season of puffer coat looks, so I wasn't impressed with the puffer coat evening wear design.  While I like the festival wear skirt, I agreed with Nicole that it didn't really seem evening wear (but it was something I would love to wear [although maybe not with that same top]).

The further from Tim Gunn's solo show that more I like him again (lost a lot of respect for him during/after that show but am slowly warming up to him again).

• Love 3

Heidi should NEVER.EVER.EVER be allowed to choose her own clothes.  She was so successful as a model because she didn't dress herself.  Poor thing has lost her damn mind.  But her plastic surgeon is a genius.  

Good start, I don't hate anybody yet.   Emily and her rainbow unicorn CBD festival princess looks annoyed me. She deserved the cut. 

Curtis seems sweet and thoughtful.  Ciara is dynamic, but her taste level would make Nina Garcia sneer.  Same with Rafael.  His stuff was hideous to me.  No wonder Heidi loved it. 

Georgia's looks are amazing, as are Sienna's.  I like Yannik, but that nose ring kills me. I hate them on everybody. 

I'm stupidly happy to have "Tim Talks" back on my screen, even in a group.  He'll never quite overcome his behavior on "Under the Gunn", but we're past that now and the love is still there for Uncle Tim.  

• Love 6

Sienna was my favorite from the moment I saw her dresses so I was so happy for her when she won. I also really liked Curtis. I think that’s his name. The eggplant colored clothes (but read black to me on my TV). I actually was not super impressed with any of the others and REALLY didn’t like Rafael’s.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Sienna’s dresses were beautiful, but I wanted to smack the male judge who was like - “i can see the through line between the evening and accessible looks.”  Ummmm yeah.  It was almost exactly the same dress!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I was hoping they would upgrade the judges this year. Heidi should not be judging any fashion competition ever. (Please don't take that "personal," Heidi.) The male judge sitting there talking about how fashion "MUST BE URGENT!" while dressed head to toe in pearls was a bit much. I've never understood why Nicole Richie was there. I mean, I know she has her celebrity fashion line, but Amazon is giving away a million dollars --they can't get a fashion magazine editor or something?

A lot of the others were too gimmicky. Clothes covered in flour paste?! It looked like she pulled scrunched up paper from the office trash bin and stuck it on a dress. And Ciara saying she wanted her vision of evening clothes to be carefree and easy... so she makes SATIN pants that even she could not get to look good. 

On the positive side: I actually liked Sienna and Curtis' clothes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 8/20/2022 at 9:42 AM, tunajune said:

Why were the judges so impressed with the flour/water cracked paste w/glaze?  Can't be cleaned, so it's basically wear once and pitch.  Add to that it looks very stiff and scratchy with a junior high science fair vibe.

I wanted Tim (or someone) to ask her how she transported those dresses in a suitcase. 

Sienna's gowns were so beautiful. I love the other items that she has in the Amazon shop, and that Amazon finally decided to offer so many different sizes.

I liked Emily's personality, but given the fact that they were able to start designing these outfits while they were still at home, the stitching on her outfits did not look good.

On 8/20/2022 at 6:00 PM, SnapHappy said:

Heidi should NEVER.EVER.EVER be allowed to choose her own clothes.  She was so successful as a model because she didn't dress herself.  Poor thing has lost her damn mind.  But her plastic surgeon is a genius.  

Good start, I don't hate anybody yet.   Emily and her rainbow unicorn CBD festival princess looks annoyed me. She deserved the cut. 

Curtis seems sweet and thoughtful.  Ciara is dynamic, but her taste level would make Nina Garcia sneer.  Same with Rafael.  His stuff was hideous to me.  No wonder Heidi loved it. 

Georgia's looks are amazing, as are Sienna's.  I like Yannik, but that nose ring kills me. I hate them on everybody. 

I'm stupidly happy to have "Tim Talks" back on my screen, even in a group.  He'll never quite overcome his behavior on "Under the Gunn", but we're past that now and the love is still there for Uncle Tim.  

On 8/20/2022 at 1:51 PM, seacliffsal said:

Overall though I felt like there were many wonderful and exciting looks.  I did look for the winning "collection" on the Amazon site but couldn't find it.  

This may be the best link to the collections, because you can pick the episode, so that you won't get spoiled. https://www.amazon.com/stores/Making+the+Cut/page/691EE082-6C05-4ED4-A236-EC2954B8A1A2?pd_rd_w=WOODC&content-id=amzn1.sym.2e12f36b-1c2a-4d75-9892-63dfca9a9065&pf_rd_p=2e12f36b-1c2a-4d75-9892-63dfca9a9065&pf_rd_r=5GY7V4XPFNM8XA33YBE7&pd_rd_wg=DMtTw&pd_rd_r=55726bc6-7591-42a8-bb7c-bc5de574f3a4

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

I was sad to see the boho lady go first.  Her look may have been the only "accessible" fashion I would consider buying on Amazon.

The tall Scandinavian fellow looks like he could be Tim's son, except the white dots in the inner eye area seem a bit contrived. 

Speaking of Tim, he's just so pale, he seems like a translucent ghost. 

Edited by suzeecat
additional thoughts
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, suzeecat said:

I was sad to see the boho lady go first.  Her look may have been the only "accessible" fashion I would consider buying on Amazon.

You wouldn’t wear a sparkly silver turtleneck under a neon yellow 80s prom dress? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I can’t believe that:

1) This show is back- has it been successful at all??? 

and 2) That I am for some reason watching it again even though I found the last two seasons bland and,in the case of Heidi and Tim, annoying.

Why do I keep coming back to TV like this?? 😭

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I really liked this (despite not even watching S2), and the fashions were great, but I preferred the designer who made the metallic gold and dark bronze pleated dresses for the win.  And the thin yellow transparent smock over the bulky silver glitter suit was IMO terrible and not worthy of top 3, but then a lot of the 'commercial' looks were really bad this episode.

Edited by Glade
  • Love 1
On 8/20/2022 at 10:32 AM, dleighg said:

I thought Heidi looked ridiculous in her opening outfit. But I guess that’s LA. Turtleneck plus long sleeve coat plus bare midriff.

Oh, I just laughed and laughed at that. Heidi's gotta Heidi! 

I'm cautiously optimistic. I liked most of the looks and the people are interesting. I was CRINGING at the groveling of the woman who was eliminated. Honey. Have a little pride. As soon as I saw that adorable boho skirt paired with that tragic satin top wafting down the runway I knew she was a goner. That top! Not only didn't it go, it looked thrown together and ill-fitting. Yikes. Loved Sienna's ethereal dresses, and Georgia, the Brit who did the gold pleated number looks promising, as does Yannik, this season's "conceptual" designer. He only uses white! Makes a nice change from the constant parade of black. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I loved the skirt but agree that Emily was the right choice to go.  No way was that evening wear and the top was awful.   Emily's got quite the businesses going on, she'll be fine.   Sienna was the right winner as well.

I'm not understanding the excitement over the flour fabric(?).  What if you get rained on, lol.  Plus one flour ruffly piece was on the model's crotch.  

I'm also cautiously optimistic.  Lots of interesting stuff and nothing truly awful yet.

• Like 1
On 8/22/2022 at 11:10 PM, BellaBabe2022 said:

This may be the best link to the collections, because you can pick the episode, so that you won't get spoiled.

Late to the party here.  I didn't know until today, when I saw a post on Facebook about the final runway show, that there was a season three! I guess I didn't get the memo.
Luckily, I dodged being spoiled by that Facebook post.  I just watched episode one and was wondering whether I dared take a chance and look for the Amazon collection.  Thanks so much for this!

• Love 2