Type keyword(s) to search

Drag Race Phillipines: Super Pak! Let's get Fleek!

• Start Topic

Well, this one came out of the blue for me! I found it strangely fascinating that Mindanao drag is apparently that different from Manila drag. And that Baguio City is, apparently, The Sunshine City. 

Life is beautiful. The girls are beautiful! Even the orchestra is beautiful! This has to be one of the best assembly of georgeousness of any of the Drag Race franchises. 

The talent show was fun, but surprisingly crunchy. And all of them were pretty much forgettable aside from Turing's touching COVID dance. Jiggly looked STUNNING on the judging panel, and especially next to Paolo's tribute to a Roxxxy Andrews Mimi Imfurst Virgin Mary transporter fusion accident.

The "Filipiniana" runway was one of the most untranslatable runways we've seen across the franchises, and I couldn't quite grasp what the theme was until half the looks had been trotted out. I'm so glad they did this.

Brigading's garment was my favourite thing on the runway. And apparently, in the Phillipines, "alien" equals "Smurfette". Goodbye, Prince! I will miss looking at you out of drag!

Edited by davidcalgary29

Jiggly looked great.

I missed the beginning of that child abuse revelation? Who was the abuser, family, schoolmates?

I started this franchise with Canada (my own country), then I watched UK v the World (a Canadian queen was on that one). Since then I've been catching up on earlier seasons of the US versions. Is it my imagination or are the queens and judges (especially the main judge) significantly harsher than on other versions?

(edited)
47 minutes ago, Starchild said:

Jiggly looked great.

I missed the beginning of that child abuse revelation? Who was the abuser, family, schoolmates?

I started this franchise with Canada (my own country), then I watched UK v the World (a Canadian queen was on that one). Since then I've been catching up on earlier seasons of the US versions. Is it my imagination or are the queens and judges (especially the main judge) significantly harsher than on other versions?

When not forced by Production, all post-Santino seasons of all franchises have tended to be fairly even in terms of positive and negative comments meted out by the judges. It's undeniable, though, that editing in the US franchises has increasingly filtered out the harsher critiques that have actually been said by the judges: the contestants on AS7 confirmed that they were, in fact, given negative critiques, even though the viewers saw none at all. I think that's primarily in response to the minority of toxic viewers who are unable to identify this show as semi-scripted entertainment and treat every development with deadly seriousness. 

The international versions are *largely* free of this trend with the exception being, of course, Canada, which saw similar levels of stupidity with JBC (who was fed his negative comments by Production). A lot of the critiques on France were pretty brutal, but this was done in a very matter-of-fact fashion, so it didn't feel particularly vindictive. I'd say that we're seeing the same thing on Phillipines, as the judges' comments were pretty fair. Clearly, Prince's tights and shoes were hideous, and should certainly have been called out.

Edited by davidcalgary29

Coming from the US version, the judges from other countries seem very harsh.  Thankfully, the queens don't seem to be as sensitive about criticism, and I am definitely for proper criticism in the proper context.  Mama Pao was practically all of us when she saw Prince's outfit capping off with those horrible shoes! She almost couldn't focus on anything else and I was right there with her.  It wasn't done to be mean or to bully the queens; they had to know what was wrong so they could step their pussy up! 

Episode 2:

I loved that quick drag in the Philippines does not mean ugly drag.  The DRPH Pit Crew looks real nice. Heh.

It was dope that the fashion guest judge really gave the queens good and workable advice.  I was giving Turing the side eye when she was showing Mama Pao the skirt.  Honey, if you can sew, do a whole gown!  It's easy to see where a bunch of queens overthought the challenge, ending with Corazon trying to slide her own dress under the busy cage she built because she probably ran out of time. This is the one time I would have looked past pasting flowers on a corset; those were real flowers (plus some of the queens really needed a corset)!  I was actually scared for Vinas Deluxe and was happy that she won the main challenge.  I was impressed that she fell and her outfit stayed together! 

I just knew Turing was going to eat Corazon up in the lip sync.  I like Turing, though I don't think her taste level is high enough for this show. I wonder what the rest of her drag looks like and if we will get to see most of it.

Corazon sashays away.

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • Love 1
(edited)

I really hope that this show is renewed for another season...if only so that Mama Pao can review her hair and makeup for the main stage. WHAT is going on? I'm really enjoying her hosting abilities, and her critiques -- blunt as they are -- are spot-on, but I'm finding it hard to leave the gravitational force of that black hole of a face she keeps showing. Watch what Nicky did on France! Get Jiggly to paint your face! 

Turing's lipsynch was fantastic! She really matched the song's emotional frequency and intensity, which is a rare thing these days acrobatics and tricks. Lolita's emotional breakdown of a performance aside, this is my pick for the top lipsynch of the past couple of seasons of all the franchises.

Vinas Deluxe deserved the win, and her outfit last week was fantastic as well. It's nice seeing a lewk queen who isn't a rail.

Edited by davidcalgary29

A couple of observations on episode 3:

1. It dragged on forever! That evaluation section was interminable.
  2. The music over that section and the judging was distractingly loud. Sometimes I couldn't even hear them talking. I don't remember it being that bad in the first two episodes. Was it softer then, or did it just seem louder because it was just never-ending?
  • Love 2

Episode 3:

Turing remains my favorite. I wish that she would put on a gown and really turn up! 

I also knew that PPE would fall to the Flexbomb Girls because of all the shit they were talking.  I was really surprised at Xilhouete and Minty Fresh looking like they never performed a day in their lives during "Pop Off Ate!".  All that ganging up on Brigiding only for her team to win the challenge. Heh. 

PPN talking about she missed picking Turing for her team; girl, you had first choice! After seeing the lip sync, Turing would have been my first choice in a performance challenge. 

The Runway: 3 queens didn't even wear shoes!  Some of them took the theme a bit too literally, and Xilhouete decided not to wear her classic black.  This runway was especially for her! I was shocked, but then she might have gotten hit with that "You wear the same colors every Runway" critique...

Gigi looked a mess.  Somehow she missed that you have to be pretty even in gruesome looking drag.  Shoes, lashes. and stones would have made such a difference in her presentation.

The judging took so long that Gigi was wearing a completely different outfit. Plus Mama Pao was determined to bring up mother trauma and cried her makeup off. 

Xilhouete and Gigi Era were the bottom 2; the lip sync song was "Glamazon" by RuPaul.   

Gigi Era sashays away.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

PPN talking about she missed picking Turing for her team; girl, you had first choice! After seeing the lip sync, Turing would have been my first choice in a performance challenge. 

The entire episode was a case study of passive-aggressive behaviour that made the results richly ironic (and funny): you know that half the cast placed Turing highly because they didn't see her as a threat. Because: fat. And I knew that PPN was that girl, because she spent far too much energy cultivating a facade which could hide latent bitchery. Masked, of course, with a smile.

PPN: "I feel badly that I couldn't pick Turing". Translation: "I'm sorry that Turing is so fat, but I couldn't pick her because I am afraid that her fat will leap off of her body and eat my hair, which was freshly scalped from Lord Farquad."

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Observations on episode 4:

• it seems a much higher percentage of Filipino queens can cartwheel than amongst US queens
  • the Filipino pit crew is "barely contained" -- if you know what I mean -- and I know you do
  • even though I didn't know any of those divas besides Lea Salonga, I really enjoyed that main challenge a lot
  • the music during the judges' comments is still overwhelming -- combined with going on for so long (once again they went nearly 15 min overtime), I'm almost considering not watching anymore, it's so painful to my ears
  • it seems a much higher percentage of Filipino queens are extremely emotional than amongst US queens -- the DRAMA!
  • Love 2

This franchise is like a fever dream: the mini challenges are as weird as hell (although I played something similar with the girls in elementary school, even they used a "rope" made out of strung-together rubber bands instead of a "garter"), and the main challenges are sometimes impenetrably Pinoy to a a random white gay watching in Canada. I didn't understand the tops or the bottoms this week, and kept fixating on Brigading's awesome runway instead of the judging, which was typically interminable. And I take it that Vinas Deluxe is now out of the running to win the crown after her extended petty (and mean) bitchery during her confessionals showed her to be something of an utter ass.

Spoiler

Turing, I will miss you.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

And I take it that Vinas Deluxe is now out of the running to win the crown after her extended petty (and mean) bitchery during her confessionals showed her to be something of an utter ass.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that part. I was like, "bitch?!" Mind you, when people's emotional drama seems outsized, I do wonder about sincerity. I didn't really believe that Xilouette actually wished it was her that left instead.

But with the comparative harshness of this version, who knows maybe the Pinoy public would react favourably to Vinas' commentary.

• Love 1

Episode 4:

Sigh. Ah well.  

I sometimes wonder why Drag Race is such an emotional meat grinder.  I'm not a fan of the excessive drama and psychological scarring that regular seasons seem to do to Queens (and sometimes the Judges!). Should the runways and critiques take so long?  I fear for Minty Fresh, because she seems to lean heavily on Xilhouete, who is just one more breakdown from leaving the competition herself.  Vinas is now showing flashes of Mean Girl and I don't like that.  

I admit I was tickled when PPN came out looking exactly like the Special Guest Judge.  She got her a RuBadge now!

Say what you will about Lady Morgana; she is a Beast as a Drag performer! 

Turing sashays away.  (I still love her the most!)

• Love 2
On 8/24/2022 at 7:45 PM, Starchild said:

It dragged on forever!

I gave up on Episode 3 right before the lip sync, cuz I just couldn't take anymore. I swear I did my mise en place, cooked my dinner, ate my dinner, had a long phone call, made my Nighty Night tea, did a crossword puzzle.. ..and the show was STILL going on! : D

I was kind of shocked how they openly mocked and made fun of Turning. I don't mind a few jokes, but it was uncomfortable how it was expected for her to constantly make fun of herself and good-naturedly endure all comments about her weight. I guess maybe there is still a lot of judgement about it in that part of the world? 

Thought I'd mention for those who avoid foreign language versions that this version is mostly in English and pretty easy to follow. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I was kind of shocked how they openly mocked and made fun of Turning. I don't mind a few jokes, but it was uncomfortable how it was expected for her to constantly make fun of herself and good-naturedly endure all comments about her weight. I guess maybe there is still a lot of judgement about it in that part of the world? 

Tell me where in the world there isn't a lot of judgement about weight, and I will strongly consider moving there.

• Hugs 2
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Thought I'd mention for those who avoid foreign language versions that this version is mostly in English and pretty easy to follow. 

This is very true. And also, sometimes, not true! I still have no idea what made any of the characters work (or fail) this episode, and feel that we should have been treated to a brief precis, perhaps by Jiggly, of who these people were and what their signature trademark style is supposed to be. It's not as if they couldn't have cut some fat off judging deliberations.

Other aspects of this episode where quite mysterious: why do the runways apparently count for 75% of the weekly ranking, but only for some queens? Turing captured the spirit of her star, but was apparently put in the bottom two for her Shake-'n-go wig? And Brigading was "saved" from the bottom by her stunning costume, but was also apparently not that bad in the challenge? Hm.

• Love 1

Clearly the judging is just as whack here as in every other version of the franchise.

I noticed something interesting with the Canadian version of the judges: Brooke heads the panel, but never says it's her decision, instead it's "us", "we", etc. So far I've only seen her, Rupaul and now Mama Pao, but Drag Race Canada seems unique in that regard. Has anyone seen France or Thailand to see if they also have a singular judge who makes the decisions?

Anyway, I've been catching up on other franchises, and the sound balance is definitely out of whack for this one. The others don't have music drowning out the judges' comments. I hope they fix that for their next season.

48 minutes ago, Starchild said:

Clearly the judging is just as whack here as in every other version of the franchise.

I noticed something interesting with the Canadian version of the judges: Brooke heads the panel, but never says it's her decision, instead it's "us", "we", etc. So far I've only seen her, Rupaul and now Mama Pao, but Drag Race Canada seems unique in that regard. Has anyone seen France or Thailand to see if they also have a singular judge who makes the decisions?

Anyway, I've been catching up on other franchises, and the sound balance is definitely out of whack for this one. The others don't have music drowning out the judges' comments. I hope they fix that for their next season.

The Canadian franchise is the only one (is this an inside joke?) where the decision claims to be by committee. I think it's clear by now, though, that Brooke Lynn prefers certain types of drag: thin, glamorous queens are pushed, and often to the detriment of camp or experimental forms of drag (ie. Jimbo; Irma Gerd; Vivian). All of the other franchises features a "main" judge, in the mold of RuPaul, who claims to take responsibility for all the outcomes, even if that doesn't seem to be the case. Canada really is the outlier here.

3 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Canada really is the outlier here.

Also the only English-speaking version not hosted by Rupaul.

I know that's probably because of COVID happening when the show was launching, and now they don't want to disrupt the format.

I'm trying very hard not to be slighted and think that Rupaul just doesn't want to come to Canada lol.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Starchild said:

Also the only English-speaking version not hosted by Rupaul.

I know that's probably because of COVID happening when the show was launching, and now they don't want to disrupt the format.

I'm trying very hard not to be slighted and think that Rupaul just doesn't want to come to Canada lol.

It's just a savvy business decision on her part. Canada is already heavily saturated with the RuPaul/WoW branding, and appearing on this franchise will add little to overall market penetration: everyone who watches Canada's Drag Race already watches the original series and AS and does not need to see RuPaul on the screen to draw them in.

I think that the judging committe was created so that Brooke Lynn wouldn't appear to be a challenge to North American branding. I don't know if RuPaul considers Canada to be a critical market, but quite a few Americans watch Canada's Drag Race, and the message to them is clear: there is only one RuPaul; Brooke Lynn is not RuPaul; this is not Brooke Lynn's Drag Race. That's probably the reason why we ended up with this judging mess and why they're going to keep it.

That could be. I remember reading in some thread that Rupaul would never allow another queen on the judging panel. This is the only way Brooke would be able to do it.

She's had other queens on the panel, notably Jimbo. But also notably, he was not in drag at the time. Vanjie was on this season, I can't recall did she sit on the panel as well that week? Out of drag?

39 minutes ago, Starchild said:

That could be. I remember reading in some thread that Rupaul would never allow another queen on the judging panel. This is the only way Brooke would be able to do it.

She's had other queens on the panel, notably Jimbo. But also notably, he was not in drag at the time. Vanjie was on this season, I can't recall did she sit on the panel as well that week? Out of drag?

No, I don't recall a situation where RuPaul has shared a judging panel with another queen in drag on her shows. I'm sure that she would ensure that be the case contractually on any show that she did appear out of the WoW world, as well.

• Like 1
On 9/2/2022 at 2:39 PM, Starchild said:

Vanjie did sit on the panel out of drag on the episode he was on. He was in Drag for the rehearsals of the Maxi Challenge.

• Thanks 1

Guys I am trying really hard to like this show. I really enjoyed the main challenge last week. But this week... gurl?!

Are there any Filipinos in this forum who can reassure me that this pageant challenge was just lost in translation? Or was it as boring as it seemed to me? And no one girl seemed significantly better than any of the others.

Once again, the show dragged on so long that we were already at the hour mark before the judging even started.

And then the music over the dialogue was louder than ever. I just checked out for 15 minutes and played with my phone until the winner was announced.

I really want to like this show enough to keep watching, but they are making it really hard.

• Love 1

Episode 4:

I admit, I am usually not for watching the choreography heavy rehearsals, but I loved watching Douglas Nierras drag the girls.

The pageant was okay. The pink runway was also okay.  Xilhouete did look very pretty in pink, but her pageant performance was still shaky.

Eva Le Queen's face card will never be revoked. I love the way she paints her face!

Marina Summers is the one. She is a threat to win.  Condragulations!

Vinas really needed a paddle for wasting a Ru-veal.  Then again, this is the one who came into the Werkroom wearing a towel. I didn't expect her pink runway to be anything more than it was. 

Brigiding and Lady Morgana are in the bottom.

Now I thought that Brigiding would get dinged for her poor posture and the fact that her bodysuit either opened up in the back or she couldn't zip it up.  The well timed split and spray paint in her wig saved her.

Lady Morgana sashays away.  I see that everyone really respected her and I was glad that she let them know that she wasn't dying. I don't want want to cry at the end of every show! 

• Love 1

And I'm going to split the difference between the two of you. My reaction to the episode: "meh".

I didn't really like the main challenge, which wouldn't have been good even if any of the queens bothered to learn the choreo or lipsynch the boring opening number. Canada's pageant exercise was so much more fun.

I didn't really like any of the "Pink Fashion Forward" runway garments except the one that Xilhouette trotted out. I was expecting to love Vinas' outfit after reading so many incendiary comments about it, but again, meh. The "Ruveal" wouldn't have saved it, either.

And I didn't understand the judging. Any of these queens could have won this week (okay, except for the queens who clearly didn't bother to learn the songs to which they were performing), and any of them could have gone home.

It's not like I'm going to stop watching the season at this piont, but Production isn't giving me a good reason to really get behind anyone, anymore. It's the curse of Turing!

• Like 1

Right now there's an outage so I can't watch the episode live. Maybe I'll come here tomorrow to see if there's a compelling reason to chase it up on demand this weekend. If not, maybe I'll use this as a sign that it's OK to give up lol.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Starchild said:

Right now there's an outage so I can't watch the episode live. Maybe I'll come here tomorrow to see if there's a compelling reason to chase it up on demand this weekend. If not, maybe I'll use this as a sign that it's OK to give up lol.

Well, since it was a THIRTY MINUTE LONG shit show, I think you can pass. I didn't see anything that worked, although I had to fast-forward through some especially painful bits: there were zero jokes, the questions were stupid, the answers were incomprehensible, the pacing was wrong, and they played forties Big Band (clearly stolen from the bar scenes in The Shining) over the entire challenge, so you couldn't even hear some of the responses. There was also a terrible costume change; awkward pauses from Mama Pao; a fake mole-catching skit that is as bad as it sounds; endless, and boring, banter between Xilhouette and Vinas while the other queens froze like waxworks.

In keeping with the spirit of the rest of the episode, only half the queens decided to participate in the correct runway category, and the ones who bothered to do this at all sort of fucked up their execution. I did laugh, long and heartily, at Vinas'   "Spectacular Ruveal" of throwing on an ugly and tacky housecoat over a so-so sheath dress.

I will also note, however, that Paolo in boy drag is a million times more attractive than the frightware she showed on the Main Stage. Seriously: Elvira as a zombie going to her prom in Clownville in a toilet paper gown, complete with the crocheted toilet paper cover.  With elf ears and boob moustache for cleavage. WHAT is going on??

Turing bailed at the right time.

Edited by davidcalgary29

Holy cow, David, are you sure you were watching Drag Race? Sounds like you were on an acid trip!

When you say 30 minutes, I presume you're talking about just the snatch game. So how long was the actual episode?

I figure that a foreign Snatch Game is likely to be less than captivating for people outside that country, since most, if not all, of the impressions would be of people we don't know. Even the incidental comedy that a queen could generate would be based on knowing something about that celebrity, in most circumstances. So it doesn't surprise me that Snatch Game would be rough going for folks like me.

I haven't had a chance to watch Drag Race France yet (the only other foreign Drag Race I have access to), has anyone else? Was that Snatch Game also tough for an English-speaking North American to get through?

• Love 1

The entire episode was something like an hour and twenty minutes long; this must be an all-night affair when commercials are inserted -- a terrifying thought.

No, this "experience" was not like any of the other international non-English versions. Holland, France, Italy, and Spain all kept the familiar structure and the watchable length of the main USDR seasons. At least this episode answered one question we've all had over the years: no,we actually do not want to see every single queen answer every single question, especially when THEY"RE ALL TERRIBLE.

And even on those franchises (France) where the queens chose celebrities with zero international footprint or recognition,all the contestants seemed to understand that this is a comedy challenge, even if their final output was lacking. Snatch Game is supposed to be a parody of tacky TV; this episode was the tacky TV.

The closest thing I've seen to this are those horrible "celebrity" talk shows I used to watch on local Canadian TV after shcool in the '80s, which were boring and awful and filled with people I'd never seen before (and never would again). You know, the kind of thing you put on while cleaning the bathroom for white noise and because the kiddie block on basic cable hadn't come on yet. Or maybe it was like a particularly bad episode of "The Gong Show" where nothing was funny, the judges were clearly stoned, and every skit went on for too long.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 1

Good god, I haven't seen that show in about four decades, when I was a kid in the late seventies. And Billy Van in his pre-Bits and Bytes days!

But yep, same tragic level of awfulness. It's worth noting, though, that at least one Philipino recap I read suggested that "there was a lot to like" in this episode. I'm happy that someone was satisfied with it.

Edited by davidcalgary29
3 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Good god, I haven't seen that show in about four decades, when I was a kid in the late seventies. And Billy Van in his pre-Bits and Bytes days!

But yep, same tragic level of awfulness. It's worth noting, though, that at least one Philipino recap I read suggested that "there was a lot to like" in this episode. I'm happy that someone was satisfied with it.

That's what I've been thinking, that there's simply too much here that is not translating culturally. 

And, hey, Party Game was awesome. Billy Van had a level of talent that could have taken him to stardom in the US, but I don't think they were ready for him. He was ahead of Jim Carrey's time.

• Love 1

Am I the only one still watching this? 

The interminable judging sessions are killing it for me -- these episodes could easily be chopped down to 45 minutes. The critiques are also becoming increasingly incomprehensible. Why exactly was Eva Le Queen's constructed outfit "trash" in the "Shop Shop Ladies Ball"? 

I'm guessing that Precious Paula Nicole's being set up for the win, because she's the only contestant left who has said anything "nice" about the other contestants in her confessionals, disingenuous as I think she's being.

I had skipped the previous 3 episodes; having a Drag Race hangover with the amount of shows going on at the same damn time!

First of all, I need DRPH to stop making me cry every damn episode I watch.  Mama Pao is still the fiercest host after Rupaul. This bitch is stunning every week and I can't stan her more!

Episode 8: Twinning!

Mama Pao opens the Library with special guest judge Patrick Starr!  Those reads were hella dry.  Eva Le Queen wins the mini challenge.

The Maxi Challenge is the Family Makeover Challenge!  Seeing the family members and loved ones of the queens started the waterworks for me.

Xilhouete's partner Gel is gorgeous. If they don't win this challenge, it's a travesty.

The judges are crying now. Dammit, where are my tissues? This is too much for me.

Xilhouete and Xhadow wins the challenge, as they should have. Gel should have an invitation to Season 2, if he wishes.

I called Minty Fresh and Brigiding to lip sync based on the judges' critiques. I was right.  Eva, PPN, and Marina  were declared safe.

I guess Minty has finally woke up! 

Brigiding sashays away.  It was time for her to exit the competition.  She and her cousin Tigiding was a delight and she will be a fierce RuGirl!

• Love 1
On 9/29/2022 at 7:08 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

The interminable judging sessions are killing it for me

Yeah that's what made me tap out. The few entertaining parts just weren't enough to balance it. 

So who won? And was it earned?

• Love 1
On 10/19/2022 at 1:45 AM, Starchild said:

Yeah that's what made me tap out. The few entertaining parts just weren't enough to balance it. 

So who won? And was it earned?

The finale for anyone that hasn't watched yet.

Spoiler

The final four lip synced against each other - Eva La Queen against Precious Paula Nicole and Marina Summers against Xilouette. PPN and Marina won their first and went against each other for the crown. The winner was PPN. Personally, I thought Marina Summers killed both songs but she was also a favourite of mine so I was a little disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/21/2022 at 8:51 AM, toomuchtv47 said:

The finale for anyone that hasn't watched yet.

Hide contents

The final four lip synced against each other - Eva La Queen against Precious Paula Nicole and Marina Summers against Xilouette. PPN and Marina won their first and went against each other for the crown. The winner was PPN. Personally, I thought Marina Summers killed both songs but she was also a favourite of mine so I was a little disappointed.

Thanks. I just couldn't commit to the week it would have probably taken to watch the finale. 

I feel like this entire season was Michelle's critique of Darienne Lake in the S6 "Ball" challenge: we started off high, and then didn't just stumble, but jumped off of a cliff. What happened?!

• Love 1

I tapped out too. If the episodes were edited down, it would have been very watchable. I liked the host and many of the queens, but I would just get really frustrated waiting for it to be over! I hope they rein it in next season. 

• Love 1

I only had a problem with the finale, but wow did that feel interminable. Really enjoyed the cast, though, and I also really liked the pairing of Ongina and Rock M. Sakura for Fashion Photo Review. 

• Love 1

So with all the franchises out there I was lagging behind on this one. 

Overall what a fun bunch of queens. Of course there was no budget for an editor (LOL) and some episodes, especially mid-season were interminable ( I put myself through Untucked as well). But mostly I'm glad I stuck with it. 

Condragulations to PPN for the win. I really thought Marina was going to take it, as overall, I think she slayed every week and put no foot wrong (she captivated in the music video and in the semi final lip-sync against Xil). PPN also did not have much of a storyline and to some extent I felt like I did not know her as well as the others.

PPN was nevertheless wow in those final lip-syncs for the crown and I could not take my eyes off her.

I really had a soft spot for Eva La Queen through out the season . Really eloquent and so so beautiful. 

Xilhouette is iconic - really old school Mother bringing the drama and trauma - but she served some lewks and deserved her spot.

My real fave of the Season was Vinas Deluxe - she gave me life every time she was on screen and I was gutted when she left (even with the chaos she wrought on Untucked - I'm attributing it to her injury lol) . I want her back on my screen ASAP.

It took me a while to warm up to Mama Pao as host (at first I thought her too twinky) but she served diva every week  and I cackled at her long- winded rant before every lipync.

The pinoy queens are a shoo-in for future vs the World seasons because they speak English and I look forward to seeing many of them again. 

On to Italia S02 now and Dragula Titans

• Love 2

I'm going to admit it: I lost interest in the season after Turing was eliminated; the endless episode length of the episodes drove me away for good. There really have to be better editing choices -- choices! -- if this is renewed for Season 2.

And Jiggly needs to do Mama Pao's paint -- she looked awful on panel half the time.

• Like 1

Mabuheeey!!!!  Time for Season 2!!!

Episode 1, "Grand Opening, Part 1": 

Arizona Brandy - Eh. 

Matilduh - She is a gorgeous queen! I liked the entrance look.

Tiny Deluxe - Her face. 

Nicole Pardaux - Her face. She paints far older than she looks. 

Captivating Katkat - Should have worn what was on the standee.

Ms. Jade So - Looks better as herself than in her entrance look...

I loves me some Mama Pao! We will see which of these girls she will read for filth later on.

I'm sorry, I would have had to go home first if I had to deal with a spider of any kind. Severe arachnophobic here. That poor thing would never touch my face.

Matilduh wins the spider mini challenge!  I don't think I would have picked that particular photo; I know she had better ones.

Girl group Maxi Challenge!

Main Stage: That Joker lipstick shape didn't do Mama Pao any favors. I loved her dress, though. 

I do not like the "Boogsh!" song.  It will not replace "Pop Off Ate!" in my heart.

Runway: "Feather You Like It Or Not"

Matilduh is the pretty one in this group. Her face card doesn't decline! Nicole and Arizona is not in the same class as the others. Ms. Jade was smart not to be naked on the Runway. Smart queen! Arizona Brandy wins the Maxi Challenge (purely on her Runway look, imho).

Nicole and Tiny were in the bottom 2;  Tiny Deluxe stays, Nicole sashays away.

Episode 1, "Grand Opening, Part 2: 

Dee Dee Marie Holiday - This one is 19? Heh. I knew she wasn't 19. I was about to read her...

Astrid Mercury - I like the dress.

Hana Beshie - She is cute!

Veruschka Levels - Gorgeous in drag and handsome out of drag. Trade of the Season? I think so!

Bernie - Legendary.

OV C*nt? - I loved the Entrance look. I guess Mama Pao will not read these queens for their shoes this season! 

Now snakes I can do. I'm much better with reptiles than spiders! Veruschka Levels wins the mini challenge and yes, her picture with the snake was fierce.

Same Girl Group Maxi Challenge!

Main Stage: I do not like this outfit Mama Pao wore in this episode. What happened to the grand beautiful gowns? And that wig was not it.

Still don't like this song. This group was a bit more expressive with their presentation. Bernie was the standout, of course.

Runway: "Fringe With Benefits"

Astrid looked plain. Dee Dee's look was beautiful with the ornate cape. Bernie was awash in fringe. Hana went campy with Ramen Noodle fringe. OVC went full on Halloween as a haunted tree. Veruschka took the carnival route.  Bernie wins the Maxi Challenge!

Astrid and Hana are the bottom 2; Hana Beshie stays, Astrid Mercury sashays away.

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
Hit the submit button too quickly!
  • Like 1