Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Duets/Solos/Group Routines/Auditions by season!

• Start Topic

@displayname

Thanks for the BENJI dance link. I don't think I've ever seen him dance before and look forward to seeing more of him.

Danny's solos are truly breathtaking - love his varied song choices. He was a talented and gorgeous guy. How sad that he passed away so young.

I'm familiar with his samba with Lacey. Stumbled upon that one day and it became a favorite. Lacey is the star of that dance for me but he is hot!

Lacey and Danny's Viennese Waltz is outstanding as well. The costumes and stage settings seem better in past seasons than the current one that just ended. 

I remember someone here said that the judge(s) picked on Danny a bit. What was their problem with him? He finished toward near the top didn't he?

• Love 1
On 8/17/2022 at 6:41 PM, Mason said:

SYTYCD Canada: House Style!!

Season 1: Lise & Vincent

Season 2 Tara Jean & Everett

And the "costumes" were both cheap and absolutely on.

@Mason
I love these 2 dances and adore cool cat Sho-Tyme too! Dude knows what he's doing when picking songs. Love that he went back in time to grab the song "100% Pure Love" (which I happen to love) LOVE LOVE LOVE everything is all love here.

Now what do they mean by their very own Canadian "House" style. Is it a style of hip hop only one choreographer creates? It's very high energy and takes me back to my days of aerobics.

I see the Canadian SYTYCD has a Cat Deeley-lite as their hostess!

Edited by Melonie77
  • Love 1
On 8/23/2022 at 3:25 PM, displayname said:

And it's not even just he who had amazing solos that season.

I think all these dancers were special soloists in their own way. For me, it'll always be amazing how Logan could effortlessly build moves out of nowhere (like that leap out of the toe rise at 4:24, or the switch leap out of the turns he does later in the same solo). Or how he and Lex both used bboying in their solos, going perfectly with the music. The sheer range of movement and control Lex showed in any solo. Or Kiki and Mark's showmanship. Great season for solos.

Dassy's Soundclash and Kaylee's hip hop infused solos also deserve a mention.

Season 14 was different but it really did have some great soloists.  I remember liking Allison's and Logan's partnership too as well as Koine's and Marko's partnership.  As I mentioned earlier, Season 14 had great group routines since the All Stars were included in a lot of them.  Here's a link to some of them.  You can see glimpses of Koine doing hip hop and she's great at it.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Melonie77 said:

WOW!! He's terrific!!!! What a ball of energy!

What season was he on?

Season 4.  I saw the tour and Gev was funny.  They made him do most if not all the little comedy bits between dances.  Also Joshua might have won the season but based on applause, Twitch was the most popular one at least in Salt Lake City.

• Love 3
On 8/24/2022 at 8:34 AM, Melonie77 said:

I remember someone here said that the judge(s) picked on Danny a bit. What was their problem with him? He finished toward near the top didn't he?

Some of them (Shane Sparks and Mia Michaels) thought he was arrogant.

On 8/24/2022 at 8:58 AM, Melonie77 said:

Now what do they mean by their very own Canadian "House" style. Is it a style of hip hop only one choreographer creates? It's very high energy and takes me back to my days of aerobics.

House is a style of street dance.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, displayname said:

Some of them (Shane Sparks and Mia Michaels) thought he was arrogant.

I remember Nigel defending Danny during one of the live shows.  Saying that he doesn't think that Danny is arrogant.  He said somebody like Blake from Season 1 is somebody that he thought was that way.  I think Danny was just quiet.  My daughters really enjoyed taking ballet from him during dance conventions (before he was on SYTYCD).  They appreciated the beauty of his dancing and didn't think he was arrogant either.  He just didn't have an extroverted personality like some of the other dancers.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

I remember Nigel defending Danny during one of the live shows.  Saying that he doesn't think that Danny is arrogant.  He said somebody like Blake from Season 1 is somebody that he thought was that way.  I think Danny was just quiet.  My daughters really enjoyed taking ballet from him during dance conventions (before he was on SYTYCD).  They appreciated the beauty of his dancing and didn't think he was arrogant either.  He just didn't have an extroverted personality like some of the other dancers.

I think it must have been the way he carried himself. He wasn't cute like a lot of the others in that season. Very erect and proud in his dancing, he danced like he was a king. I don't think he was arrogant, but I think it made him seem invulnerable and aloof to some people. I don't think his pride was a bad thing. He knew he was good, and he showed it.

• Love 2
On 8/23/2022 at 11:28 PM, Melonie77 said:

Canada was the first in the franchise to showcase House style. It's called House because, IIRC, it was developed at the house party level. Toronto has a strong and lively black population from the Caribbean and Jamaicans in particular gravitated towards it. Luther Brown (also Canadian, as is Sean Cheeseman of Afro Jazz choreo fame) for instance remembers the house party scene.

ADDENDUM: I need to make it clear that I'm talking about what Canada calls House style. I believe there is something similar called House style that developed in NYC and Chicago clubs. I hope someone who knows more than I chimes in and corrects/corroborates what I'm saying.

Edited by Mason
Clarification
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, HerkyJerky said:

Not that I'm complaining but why did they get rid of Lauren Sanchez after the first year?

They somehow knew that she was going to eventually date Jeff Bezos. 

I believe she left to have a child. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Season 7 Neil and Kent - don't know why they were paired twice but not complaining.

Season 9 Witney, Lindsay, and Nick - I think Nick was cast as fodder.  They needed him to showcase Witney's and Lindsay's friendship that season.  It helps that all three of them are from Utah and have previously worked together.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 1
  • Love 2

Season 7 Ashley and Ade Cosmic Love - the first contemporary choreographed by Dee Caspary and it was simply gorgeous. It was a showcase for Ashley who I thought was underrated, she finally got to really shine. Also I wanted the Florence and the Machine album after I heard this piece. 

• Love 2

So I spent the better part of a day reviewing Season 16 because I forgot about the winner Bailey. But it all came back with his star partner Mariah. She to me should have won but I get it, As a B-boy he did great on the styles that weren’t his. So every genre was a test for him and he rose to the challenge quite well. Some on this board were talking about Jazz Funk and although it was labeled Jazz, and it certainly felt like a traditional Jazz piece, to me this Ray Leeper routine added elements of hip hop and rockstar funk. It also helped that one of my favourite INXS tunes came to life. It was a showstopper performed by the impossibly cute couple 

Edited by White Dog
  • Love 3

If we didn’t have Season 8 we would never have the Marvelous Mr Marko ! He could do anything!  I Love all of his work. I was particularly impressed by a flip move he did with Melanie in a Louis Van Amstel Tango. The performance was ordinary until it got to that final flip. I watched it then I asked Louis on Twitter if that was the same move that DWTS dancer Kym Johnson tried with her celebrity partner footballer Hines Ward. For those that don’t watch DWTS Hines fell on Kym’s neck trying the stunt and she was severely injured.  Anyway Louis confirmed that it was the same move and that Marko and Melanie were trained properly to do this, implying that Kym should never have tried this with a novice. Ironically That move saved this dance.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It was perfect. Brandon was my pic to win that 5th season. Not only did he have explosive solos I thought all his dances were strong, and he basically shut Mia Michaels up. Mia didn't think he was a good dancer initially because she thought he relied too much on his athleticism. But he was given a lot of technical ballroom and he rose to the challenge better than most contemporary boys on this show. 

I would put Jeanette at the top of the Ballroom girls on this show, her ballroom and Latin dances and the social dances associated with their syllabus 'like that Disco and that Argentine Tango are really unmatched . On the tango I had a double take because at first I thought it was Miriam.  And I haven't seen a Disco performed better. Brandon was an excellent partner,  they were so synchronized on the disco and he didn't try to do what ballroom boys tend to do - make the Argentine Tango too staccato.  Both Jeanette and Brandon really took the notes that Miriam and Leonardo gave them and delivered really strong performances.  Jeanette wasn't as strong in hip hop or jazz, but she was great on the other styles..  

I forgot about that AT and it's perfection.  Haven't re-watched the disco yet but I remember liking it when I first saw it on the show.  It's probably before Doriana went crazy with the lifts.  I did like Brandon during Season 5 but I also liked Jeannine.  I was a fan of Jeannette for certain styles like ballroom but I didn't really like her in jazz/contemporary or hip-hop.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, displayname said:

But I spoke about the Janette and Brandon AT :(

I remember you talking about it but I didn't go and watch it at the time.  I also saw katisha link the dance in the Final Cut topic.  I'm behind and I barely clicked on the AT link yesterday.  After my comment, I also watched their disco.  It was before Doriana went crazy on the lifts and gave both of them a chance to actually dance disco.

• Love 1