Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Pine Barrens

• Start Topic

Nice to see another appearance by SEAN-NAY! Out of all cars, he drives a Honda Element?

Loved that lil Colin Robinson plays Roblox and needs Robux all the time.

It was really nice to see Marwa bonding with the other ladies. LOVE that Nadja's favorite movie is Mama Mia, and Laszlo hates it because it reminds him of "all the bastard children he fathered when he was a human." Nadja does a killer Matt Berry impression, I must say.

Also, loved Nadja bathing in a literal bloodbath.

So Guillermo is one of dem boyz that works the railroad, according to his family. And that he's dating Nadja. I liked that Nadja loved Guillermo's family...but they all became psycho killers the moment they realized Nadja was a vampire. Did it come as any surprise that Guillermo was the gentlest vampire hunter of the family? So happy to see Gizmo finally admit the truth to his family. That he's a familiar for vampires, he wants to be one, that he's gay. Of course the family knew that all along. And like the vamps care that Gizmo is gay. They're all gay. Feels!

I knew that with all the talk about the Jersey Devil (just a story vampires made to explain all the dead bodies they leave behind), we were eventually gonna see it. And he didn't disappoint. It was soothed by Bon Jovi because of course it was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

The busted guns made me laugh, I was expecting for one of the guns to go off in Sean's face.  The pixelated groin of the Jersey Devil was hilarious, but it looks like it didn't hide that much.  Maybe it was the tail that I was seeing.  I didn't realize the vampires could drive!

I like seeing the continuity of the embezzlement, with Guillermo wearing real Versace.  His lies kept getting more ridiculous, I'm surprised Nadja went along with it.  The rage that family feels when they're near a vampire is interesting, I wonder why Guillermo doesn't get that way.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Was it my eyes, or was Lazlo driving without touching the steering wheel? It looked to me like his hands were hovering over it, not actually holding it.

Just watched it again, his hands WERE hovering over the wheel! Such a great detail.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 5

Another triumph!!  Nadja gets the narrow nod here for coining “a proper female fuck-about” (gurrrll I know just what you mean)

Gizmo’s Family Van Helsing was a twist I didn’t see coming, which makes me feel like a moron.  Then Guillermo broke my heart a little when he cried out, “Don’t hurt her!”  As the affectionate confession between Nandor and Laszlo showed: underneath the lewd, the vengeful, and the bitter in-fighting, this is a group who love each other.  I think that’s one of the things that makes the series work.  Certainly it was a sweet undercurrent in the original film.  

• Love 13

It was either going to be Springsteen or Bon Jovi. Sean has been whammied so many times by now his brain should be soup. Loved that all Guillermo's family instinctively respond as Van Helsings in the presence of a vampire, which we really should have seen coming. Things I didn't know I wanted; Nadja and Guillermo doing the talking head interview together. I hope they do that again.

Nadja, Marwa, the Guide and doll Nadja hanging out together could be an episode all by itself. Blood baths, Mama Mia and limbo. I wonder if Nandor used a wish to make Marwa comfortable with 21st century technology?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Fully clothed.

I think it's odd that the de la Cruz family would be descended from the Van Helsings. LOL.

I don't see that as odd per se. It appears Gizmo has the same parentage as someone like Frida Kahlo--German and indigenous.  What I found odd was the fact that the only family of Gizmo's we see is his Van Helsing side and that they all inherited the genes.  I would have expected there to be at least one member who was not afflicted as it were who would be thoroughly confused at seeing the whole De La Cruz clan throwing stakes at Nadja.

• Love 6

Can Nadja turn into a bat? I'd think that would be the fastest way to evade staking.

I had a hard time believing Guillermo didn't think Nadja would be home. Where did he think she would go? The guys went to the cabin, but why wouldn't Nadja and Marwa stay at the house?

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Can Nadja turn into a bat? I'd think that would be the fastest way to evade staking.

I had a hard time believing Guillermo didn't think Nadja would be home. Where did he think she would go? The guys went to the cabin, but why wouldn't Nadja and Marwa stay at the house?

Yes, Nadja can turn into a bat.  She taught Jenna how to do it in season one, and I want to say there was an episode where she and Lazlo fucked in bat form.  

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 4

According to almost all television, nothing good ever happens in Pine Barrens!

As soon as they name-dropped the Jersey Devil, I knew we would be getting this show's version of him.  That was great: especially how Young Colin was able to pacify him thanks to the soothing sounds of Bon Jovi!  And it helped lead to Lazlo and Nandor finally working things out, since both were at each others throats for a bit.  They just need more bonding time!

Guillermo bringing his family to the house and finding out almost all of them have Van Helsings blood was great!  At least Nadja ended up just memory wiping them instead of killing them.  For her, that's a big sign that she does have a soft spot for Guillermo despite all of the many insults and disrespects.

Marwa really did seem way more lively during the "proper female fuck-about."  Spending time with others who aren't Nandor is clearly better for her.

Still love how Sean can be an atypical meathead at times, but also very insightful and level-headed as well.  I do worry that his luck will eventually run out if he keeps hanging out with the gang like this!

• Love 5
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Fully clothed.

I think it's odd that the de la Cruz family would be descended from the Van Helsings. LOL.

8 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't see that as odd per se. It appears Gizmo has the same parentage as someone like Frida Kahlo--German and indigenous.  What I found odd was the fact that the only family of Gizmo's we see is his Van Helsing side and that they all inherited the genes.  I would have expected there to be at least one member who was not afflicted as it were who would be thoroughly confused at seeing the whole De La Cruz clan throwing stakes at Nadja.

7 hours ago, possibilities said:

This was one of those eps that is so packed it seems like it must be extra long, but it's not. I was so happy to see Marwa enjoying herself and becoming one of the girls--I'm hoping that continues. It will make for good conflict. We've got four girls now, so the house is pretty even. 

Loved Guillermo's family and don't have a problem with them all being vampire hunters. When he did his DNA test he was almost all European/Indigenous Mexican, but that one Dutch ancestor just has very strong genes. I think he doesn't react that way to vampires because he loves them. It's all down to Antonio Bandares.

Then we get more great stuff in the Pine Barrens, not only Laz and Nandor having it out, but Colin telling Sean that Guess what? He doesn't think Laszlo likes him. That's going to be a heartbreak laster. He's going to have to learn to love him for who he is--and he will. But it's sad how he's hurting his feelings now. Lucky he's got Daddy Gizmo.

Oh, and also I dno't have a problem with Guillermo and Nadja both thinking they were alone--they both probably thought everyone else went away together. All vampires vs. All dudes.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Love 1

Really good interview with Harvey Guillen talking about Guillermo's pivotal moments, his family and his coming out. He points out the dynamic between Guillermo and Nadja is different because they spent a year working together in Europe by themselves, and she actually appreciates him now.

Can I just saw awww?

We did one take where... the first one, I think, it was very triggering, and it was putting me back into my own personal experience with that and coming out, and it was very emotional. I remember getting teary-eyed as I was doing the lines of the scene, and then my family getting teary-eyed and, the actress playing my mom hugging me, and it was just a sweet moment.

They are totally aware of the shipping.

I'm glad that people are really involved with Guillermo's love life. The fans have been great. The fans have been supportive, and they've made their own aspirational storylines of what they want for these characters — as you do with any character, hetero or queer. But it's definitely something that they've all loved, and I can see it in their artwork, and they've posted on socials, and I can see some homoerotic storylines with Nandor and Guillermo. Those posts really kind of show how much people are invested in this story, and then whatever love interest they have and whatever that is.

We finally know that Guillermo is gay, and he's met someone. He's met someone overseas, and we finally are about to meet them. They are going to be present, and we're going to see what Guillermo's been doing for a year in London. He came back with new fighting techniques as we saw in the Night Market episode. We learned he knows how to use new tools and weapons that we did not expect from him. He's perfected his fighting skills. Remember, at this point, he's taken Nandor down twice, and so he's becoming more powerful by the minute — and in his own human Van Helsing self, not even at the aspirational vampire level that he wanted for the last 13 years, because he thought that's what would make him worthy. That's what would make him hold this space and feel completed. Sometimes you're more powerful than you think in the human body that you hold now, you know?

• Thanks 6
  • Love 6

Marwa really did seem way more lively during the "proper female fuck-about."  Spending time with others who aren't Nandor is clearly better for her.

I'm not convinced Marwa will be around long-term. They really haven't done much to flesh out this character, whereas characters like Sean and Charmaine were well-defined from the start. I don't even recognize her yet whenever she shows up. She still feels more like a prop at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I'm not convinced Marwa will be around long-term. They really haven't done much to flesh out this character, whereas characters like Sean and Charmaine were well-defined from the start. I don't even recognize her yet whenever she shows up. She still feels more like a prop at this point. 

I agree, but I do not want her to die.  We've seen Nandor and the Djinn kill off his fifty-eleven other wives and Marwa's parents.  I want to see her leave the mansion and enjoy life in the 21st century possibly with the Djinn.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

She literally is a prop at this point, since that's what Nandor intentionally turned her into. I don't know if she'll stick around, but I feel like the show has to have some actual story for dealing with this eventually. They've already given us some hints, like how Marwa did want to go to the market, how her mother sees this is a bad idea, how Nadja realized that when she's not with Nandor she has a personality.

• Love 1

As soon as I saw the plot of the episode, I was crossing my fingers for the Jersey Devil, and I was not disappointed. I love that the Jersey Devil looks like a big pink Muppet who has massive balls, that's so hilarious. I love how this show does creatures, its creative and hysterically funny. 

Guillermo's family all attacking Nadja because of their Van Helsing genes is something I never thought about but makes total sense. Nadja really does like Guillermo if she is willing to go along with the whole "this is my girlfriend" bit in the middle of her female fuckabout. Mamma Mia was on! For all their arguing, the gang really do care about each other, in their own weird way. 

How is every season of this show better than the last?

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Sean has almost died a whole lot.  I'm starting to wonder if Sean is going to be baby Colin Robinson's first victim when he reaches energy vampire maturity. 

I loved Guillermo's abuelita both recognizing that Nadia was a vampire and ripping off that chair leg to use as a club.

The Jersey Devil was equal parts creepy and ridiculous.

I'm sure this is a Hulu problem, but my re-watch from Hulu on demand and recording cuts off right where Guillermo announces that he is gay.  I really want to see the Jersey Devil again and I think he was at the end.  I even wondered if it was censored, but that seems unlikely.  So, I just need to find a way to see the Jersey Devil.

Question: has anyone brought up Nadja and Guillermo being together for a year in England? They had a fun plot, even though Nadja almost got killed. Aside from Gizmo's granny, I don't think any other family members were conscious of getting angry in the vicinity of a vampire. Now I have to wondering if Guillermo had similar feeling when he first met Nandor. Maybe being a vampire wannabe is a result of a genetic/physical abnormality? He didn't know about the Van Helsing thing until the end of the first season.

Also fun to see Nandor and Lazlo bitch each other out for most of the episode, peaking at Nandor calling Lazlo a jabroni while Lazlo shot a gun at him. Luckily, they managed to patch things up to kill the Jersey Devil, with a little help from The Thing That Crawled Out Of Colin Robinson's Body. And Bon Jovi. Maybe Jon's ancestors had the same skills with a pipe as Lazlo?

Nice to see Narwa in Nadja's "fuck-about," I'd be happy about her bonding with Nadja and Guide, but she's probably been genie-whammied into not freaking the fuck out over vampires. That, and an animated doll that resembles Nadja. Limbo bit FTW. "Go, me! Go, me!!"

On 8/21/2022 at 4:03 PM, Suzn said:

I'm sure this is a Hulu problem, but my re-watch from Hulu on demand and recording cuts off right where Guillermo announces that he is gay.  I really want to see the Jersey Devil again and I think he was at the end.  I even wondered if it was censored, but that seems unlikely.  So, I just need to find a way to see the Jersey Devil.

FYI, we watched it on Hulu last night with no issues so I hope it was a temporary glitch for you!

On 8/17/2022 at 3:05 PM, thuganomics85 said:

According to almost all television, nothing good ever happens in Pine Barrens!

It appeared to work out well for a character on The Sopranos (Season 3-11).  Christopher and Paulie thought they had killed a guy, and went to the Pine Barrens to bury him.  Surprise!  He was still alive, and escaped from them, and the duo ended up lost on a cold wintry night

As a child I lived close to the Pine Barrens with lots of stories about the Pineys, Jersey Devil, and people who went into there and never came out again..

• Like 1