Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: Saul Gone

• Start Topic

The Odenkirk show is not a spin off. It's based on a book by Richard Russo and has nothing to do with BCS. Bob is executive producer and stars in it. Heard him talk about it onFresh Air with Terry Gross

Edited by SusieQ
Added info
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

The ending makes sense but I feel like it went out with more of a whimper than a bang. Guess I will have to sit with it awhile.

Yeah, but this didn’t have the high stakes of the Breaking Bad finale: no taking out the Nazis, no rescuing Jesse. They simply tied up the loose ends.. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Kim is practicing law again?

Another impossibility that's offensively stupid. Either her statement she gave in Waterworks to the DA's office is true or not. If true, she won't be allowed to practice law again. If it's not true, she committed perjury and won't be permitted to practice law again.

As is the idea she can't resign from the New Mexico bar. Just 3 episodes ago she told a judge she can't argue a motion because she was no longer a lawyer. The judge didn't say, joke's on you, once a lawyer, always a lawyer! Moreover we've been told Kim is a good attorney for 6 seasons. Now she's an ignorant moron for plot reasons.

Did they say she was practicing law again? If they did I missed it. I thought she was just volunteering at that place.

Edited by WritinMan
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Another impossibility that's offensively stupid. Either her statement she gave in Waterworks to the DA's office is true or not. If true, she won't be allowed to practice law again. If it's not true, she committed perjury and won't be permitted to practice law again.

As is the idea she can't resign from the New Mexico bar. Just 3 episodes ago she told a judge she can't argue a motion because she was no longer a lawyer. The judge didn't say, joke's on you, once a lawyer, always a lawyer! Moreover we've been told Kim is a good attorney for 6 seasons. Now she's an ignorant moron for plot reasons.

I thought Kim told Jimmy “My NM law license CARD doesn’t have an expiration date.” So she flashed the prison guards a card, but is still not actually a lawyer anymore.

• Like 6
  • Love 8
Just now, Pj3422 said:

Yeah, but this didn’t have the high stakes of the Breaking Bad finale: no taking out the Nazis, no rescuing Jesse. They simply tied up the loose ends.. 

I don't even really think they did that. Again, I'll be glad to be proven wrong. Walk me through it...

Just now, ahmerali said:

I don't even really think they did that. Again, I'll be glad to be proven wrong. Walk me through it...

He's in jail on an extremely light sentence. and he made it right with Kim and his own conscience, so everything is OK? I'm really not seeing how I'm supposed to be OK with that.

2 minutes ago, dwmarch said:

No but the prison doesn't know that. She said her bar card doesn't have an expiry date on it. So it's not valid but the prison either didn't care or didn't check.

I suspect impersonating a lawyer is a crime, particularly when you impersonate a lawyer to government officials? Why would Kim do that?

• LOL 1
8 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

No, she's volunteering in a law office, the type that helps the people she wanted to help. She's answering phones and might give advice. She has an old card that she used to get into the jail.

Jimmy, too, will probably wind up helping his fellow inmates that way. So they both wound up helping the people they wanted to help, but for free and not as lawyers. 

• Like 3
  • Love 14
Just now, Armchair Critic said:

He is in jail for 86 years. He had it down to 7 years before he confessed.

I see. OK, that part I missed, fair enough.

So let me try this again: Jimmy's conversation with Walt shows that he only wishes he could have been better at getting away with his shenanigans. His conversation with Mike shows that he figures if he just had enough cash he could be beyond anyone's reach. But now in the end he realizes he's going down, and none of that matters, and the only thing that he really cares about is being Jimmy and being able to know that Kim is out there and is OK with him.

Is that about right?

3 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

Viewers who expected a BB-style mega-shootout for this finale: lol what show have you been watching for 6 seasons?

I wasn't expecting anything like that, but...well, I don't know. Maybe after hearing other people's thoughts I'll fill in the blanks in my own mind. Right now I just feel that there was so much more potential here, and it was unfulfilled. But I will be happy to be demonstrated wrong.

• Like 5
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

She's answering phones and might give advice. She has an old card that she used to get into the jail.

You can visit prisoners without fraudulently presenting yourself as an attorney. Kim was identified as an attorney, which means she identified herself as an attorney to federal prison officials. Am I expected to believe that's not a crime?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Did anyone else catch Jimmy break into a slight smile as the bus prisoners chanted his slogan?

Was he realizing his fame might convert to social capital on the inside? When we see him walking to meet Kim the last time, he seems to be friendly with his fellow bakery worker inmates.

I took it as that, but also that he could accept parts of Saul Goodman too, since to guys like this he really had helped them out. He didn't have to run from Saul either. People would know him as that in jail, but not in the same way he used the name before.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9

It's not explicitly clear but my impression is his added time and more confessions helped to keep Kim out of jail and from being prosecuted.  I'm just going with that as the short answer.  How?  Tv law magic. 

And if he had any money left Howard's wife will go after that instead of Kim in a civil suit. Assuming the government didn't seize it already. He probably had some they didn't know about. 

I thought the 7 year sentence was bs anyway. There were multiple charges, many, so it's not just convincing one juror with his story. It's convincing one juror for every single charge against him.  

I liked the finale despite thinking the show was always good but never near breaking bad. Seems many didn't like it. But I never expected a breaking bad style ozymandias episude here.  Not this shows style. The Howard killing was the high drama action moment for the show. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Did anyone else catch Jimmy break into a slight smile as the bus prisoners chanted his slogan?

Was he realizing his fame might convert to social capital on the inside? When we see him walking to meet Kim the last time, he seems to be friendly with his fellow bakery worker inmates.

Yep. "Me on top...like always," he had predicted to Bill Oakley. And then we saw him not doing so badly in prison. It's still prison, but he can have as comfortable existence there as one can. 

• Like 3
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

Jimmy/ saul always seemed more at ease  with that demographic or class, however you want to say it, than other typical lawyers. I would bet he'd be popular in prison. 

• Like 4
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, Sailorgirl26 said:

ADX Montrose is apparently the "Alcatraz of the Rockies" -- a Supermax prison in Colorado. It is unlikely they would have looked up her New Mexico bar license to confirm she was still a practicing lawyer in good standing with the bar.  

As his lawyer, she was able to get one-on-one, no guards around time with him to say goodbye. And it was clearly a goodbye. She had no intention of visiting him over and over again as his "lawyer." She wanted a last farewell with him, so she used her card. 

I didn't take that last scene as clearly goodbye. She wasn't going to be coming in and out as his lawyer, but I think they'll be in touch. They can do that now without hurting others.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, Sailorgirl26 said:

As his lawyer, she was able to get one-on-one, no guards around time with him to say goodbye. And it was clearly a goodbye. She had no intention of visiting him over and over again as his "lawyer." She wanted a last farewell with him, so she used her card. 

Oh, if you’re right, that is sadder than I’m prepared for.

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

Nope, he remembered Chuck's advice: when you don't like the path you're on, change it. Confession and atonement.

I loved that scene (and The Time Machine inclusion). The finale had the elements of Jesse's end (his reflecting back on a conversation with Jane about decisions) and Walt's (I liked it!).

31 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

I’m not clear how this was “Jimmy sacrificed to save Kim.”

Isn’t this more “Jimmy didn’t do the selfish shitty thing for once”?

25 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Vince did such a convincing job that Saul was beyond irredeemable, ready to screw over Kim for ice cream…then it turned out all to be a ploy just to get her to witness his confession.

I may have to watch again bc I don't think it was really clear when and why Jimmy shifted gears. I'm still not clear on how his shiny suit speech exonerates Kim.  And at the time he demanded Blue Bell, he didn't know Kim went to the DA.

I'm not sure about this ending but I did really enjoy watching this episode and I say that as a fan who has not liked this season at all. It was great to see Marie, although I wish she had told everyone that Walt tried to pull that 'I was forced into this!' crap on her & Hank.

It was nice hearing the actors at the end. Will miss this show very much.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

You claimed she was a lawyer again and I was just saying she's not. I don't know what the crime is for identifying yourself to federal prison officials as a lawyer, but it's probably not a stretch that she got away with it without being arrested.

ETA: Also it shows that Kim's real personality is alive again, without controlling her.

Kim's real personality is committing crimes? The point of Waterworks is that she no longer believes that. But now for plot reasons she does?

11 minutes ago, chick binewski said:

'm still not clear on how his shiny suit speech exonerates Kim.  And at the time he demanded Blue Bell, he didn't know Kim went to the DA.

It doesn't exonerate Kim. He lied about crimes she supposedly had a part in to get her there and then confessed to lying about her. Everyone seemed to have the opinion that she would escape criminal charges for everything she confessed too, but she's still open to a civil suit from Howard's widow.

Edited by MrWhyt
  • Like 6
  • Love 9

I can see why they felt it needed to be done to redeem Jimmy but that was a big sacrifice being willing to die in prison. He has Kim's love but he may not ever see her again and that's a long time to be locked up. I don't think I could do it.

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Well, I’ll be damned. Actual accountability and consequences.

Vince did such a convincing job that Saul was beyond irredeemable, ready to screw over Kim for ice cream…then it turned out all to be a ploy just to get her to witness his confession.

I really don't think it was a ploy in the beginning. I think he was absolutely willing to use the information he had to try and get a better deal, and only decided to use it as a ploy to get her to the trial when he realized it wouldn't work.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, chick binewski said:

I may have to watch again bc I don't think it was really clear when and why Jimmy shifted gears. I'm still not clear on how his shiny suit speech exonerates Kim.  And at the time he demanded Blue Bell, he didn't know Kim went to the DA.

I thought he switched gears on the plane ride. His plan was always to pretend he was going to pin more crimes on Kim, but he was always planning to just confess. He had no new info on Howard to give.

4 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Kim's real personality is committing crimes? The point of Waterworks is that she no longer believes that. But now for plot reasons she does?

Kim's real personality was somebody who sometimes liked to break rules and take risks. Florida Kim was afraid to do or say anything. When she came back to herself she made the decision to volunteer for the type of lawyering she could no longer do as a lawyer, and she pulled a scam to get in to see Jimmy like she wanted. She didn't want to hurt people anymore, not just avoid any and all crime.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, CynicalGirl said:

I just hope she got enough of herself back to dump the yup yup guy.

She may have to become Mrs. Yup Yup guy if she wants to do a lot of volunteering.  

This ending was similar to Casablanca.  Ilsa gets sent away with a man she doesn't love.  Rick, until he gets bailed out by Captain Renault, is on his way to a Nazi concentration camp. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Sailorgirl26 said:

ADX Montrose is apparently the "Alcatraz of the Rockies" -- a Supermax prison in Colorado. It is unlikely they would have looked up her New Mexico bar license to confirm she was still a practicing lawyer in good standing with the bar.  

In other words Kim's character development since she left Jimmy, particularly everything in Waterworks, was bullshit.

7 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

In other words Kim's character development since she left Jimmy, particularly everything in Waterworks, was bullshit.

It’s also possible that Kim has learned—the very hard way—that she has to impose constraints on some of her more destructive drives. I find it very believable that she would share a transgressive cigarette with Jimmy (not Saul) but not have to become full-on Giselle ever again.

Edited by Penman61
  • Applause 1
  • Love 21
30 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I didn't take that last scene as clearly goodbye. She wasn't going to be coming in and out as his lawyer, but I think they'll be in touch. They can do that now without hurting others.

The way it was shot? I think it absolutely was a goodbye and the last time she would see him. The way he did the double-finger guns at her and she didn't respond, and we see Jimmy disappear behind the wall and out of Kim's sight as she leaves the prison. That to me was absolutely a visual representation of him disappearing. But in actual prison, not Omaha Cinnabon prison.

Edited by Sailorgirl26
  • Like 11
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12
5 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Yes, thank you. That's part of what still really bothers me...if it's about doing the best atonement you can do, I don't really see it, either for Jimmy or Kim. I'm warming up to the idea that for Jimmy, being a prison lawyer and baking bread for the rest of his life is his 'consequence', but what is hers exactly, for being his enabler of sorts? Yup yup sex?

1 minute ago, Penman61 said:

It’s also possible that Kim has learned—the very hard way—that she has to impose constraints on some of her more destructive drives. I find it very believable that she would share a transgressive cigarette with Jimmy (not Saul) but not have to become full-on Giselle ever again.

So now Kim can leave the prison, saying with absolute truth, "I'm still getting away with it?"

She'll just be good from now on?

Okay, I guess???

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Kim's real personality was somebody who sometimes liked to break rules and take risks. Florida Kim was afraid to do or say anything. When she came back to herself she made the decision to volunteer for the type of lawyering she could no longer do as a lawyer, and she pulled a scam to get in to see Jimmy like she wanted. She didn't want to hurt people anymore, not just avoid any and all crime.

The whole point of what happened to Howard, and Kim's remorse for it, leading to her confession in Waterworks, is that scams and crimes, even apparently "innocent" ones, have unintended, unforseen consequences. Therefore you stop pulling scams and committing crimes because you don't know where they'll lead.

• Love 2