Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Milkmaids

• Start Topic

Welp, we don't watch this show for historical accuracy.  Could Science Girl have been more of an anachronism?  I can't imagine how a milkmaid could even have access to books in that little village.

• Love 5

Between the heart eating and people sucking on an open wound, this was impressively gross, even by AHS standards. That's something at least, because otherwise this one is even worse than last week. Its too bad, I love Cody Fern and I normally enjoy AHS period pieces, but this was embarrassingly bad, although its pretty much what you expect when you hear "AHS in 1700s". Lots of speeches about the evils of religion and the patriarchy, sexy lesbians, pitchfork murders, and a modern anachronistic scientific cool girl who I kept thinking was going to be revealed to be a time traveler because no way is this a person who could have existed in this time and place. How does a poor milkmaid in nowhere 1700s have access to the latest scientific medical advances? 

Interestingly, both the eating hearts to stop an epidemic and the milkmaid pox were based on real things. Very loosely though, the New England Vampire Panic happened in the 19th century and was tied to tuberculosis and ancient folk lore, and the person who did research linking cow pox with smallpox and milkmaids seeming immunity was a British scientist named Edward Jenner in around 1821, however this episode impressively made both of these real life historical events much more boring. Also the phrase "are you ok?" definitely did not exists in this time period, that was just painful. I know that we don't go to this show for historical accuracy, but come on. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3

This wasn't even scary, it was just disgustingly gross. I could barely even watch it. By the time the milkmaid popped one of her pustules like a zit I was about ready to turn it off, and I don't even know why I bothered finishing it. Even worse than last week's, and it wasn't even written by Manny Coto. It was not a name I recognized or anyone who has written for this show before. Boy - never again, I hope.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

The finger sucking scene had me retching and dry heaving, it was only through will that I didn't puke.  I'm pretty certain it is the strongest reaction I've ever had to a TV show and I used to watch Bones while eating dinner.  That being said, this was stupid.  And I'm calling this stupid as someone that watched Bones.

• LOL 4