Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E21: And Life Begins Right Away

In the third-season finale, Bay and Daphne's graduation day arrives, and surprising news about Carlton is revealed. Meanwhile, Daphne fears mistakes from her past will affect her future; and Bay's plans for life after high school displease her parents.

My reaction to the trailer (which I can't embed for some reason)? "Daphne better get jail time." She was put on probation for blackmail, destroyed hundreds of thousands dollars' worth of property, and violated her probation. Just because she's cute and perky and deaf and rich should not be a literal "get out of jail" card. Bay's well-intentioned "we're going to fight this, right?!" in the trailer just made me roll my eyes.

Fingers crossed they DO send her to jail if even for a few months and then do a time jump of 5 years, skipping college entirely. A girl can dream.

• Love 1

Oh Daphne, how, how, HOW could you let Bay do that. I've adored you, I've tried to see your side during all the shit you've pulled. But this, this is beyond the pale. How you could let your poor sister get a record for your careless recklessness after all you've already done to her?!

• Love 7

Well, that sucked.  Of all the ways to keep Bay and Emmett in Kansas, ugh.  And now Daphne will feel so guilty she'll stay too and help Melanie.  And Travis will get into the local Galludet branch and then everyone will still be here.  

I was cheering for Daphne, taking responsibility, willingly going to jail, etc.  And then they did that.  I know Bay did it, but still.  

I loved that Travis' mom came and had been learning sign language, even if it was out of the blue.

• Love 1

One of these days Daphne will actually suffer real consequences for her actions. That probably won't happen until long after the show is over, cos it sure ain't happening now. So over it.

• Love 5

Hear that splash? That's the show jumping the shark.

Daphne would have made her statement when she was arrested, not just before what seemed to be her turning herself in for the magical plea agreement. Parole violators usually don't get bailed out. And plea bargains take months to work out.

Wasn't everyone openly talking in front of the detective at the house? But I guess the story is that Daphne even lied to her parents to protect Bay.

I would have gone for it if it was some sneaky "Bay pleads not guilty because they only have circumstantial evidence to place her at the scene and then is Daphne's alibi if they try to pin it on her." But this? The ski boat was already careening out to sea last week when Class III, Class IV? narcotics went missing from the medicine lock-up and she wasn't arrested for that!!! I was actually thinking that was going to be the surprise the officer laid on them. Hospitals and clinics take missing narcotics very seriously.

There are so many sharks in the water, I guess they couldn't help but jump one.

• Love 3

I really hated that ending.

I know it was Bay's idea, but it feels really wrong that she's giving up everything for Daphne's mistake.  I guess they needed to keep everyone in Kansas City, but this just feels really contrived.  And I can't believe John, Katharine, and Regina will let it happen.

• Love 4

I hate Daphne. I hate this show currently & I hated Bay taking the fall for Daphne. Bay could have decided to stay in Kansas because Daphne went to jail, she could have wanted to help Daphne, her family, etc. Not. This. Crap.

Jump the shark is right.

• Love 2

I think Daphne's hit the Moral Event Horizon for me. I mostly found her spiral believable, and in this episode I was actually proud of her that she realized she needed to accept responsibility and face the consequences of her actions, but that sure went to hell, didn't it? Bay was dumb and impulsive to take the fall (girl, why?) but Daphne was goddamn unforgivable to let her do it.

• Love 6

How the hell did the police even LET Bay take the fall. I'm guessing that they will check the story next season and they will probably pick up where they left off and show Daphne telling everyone. I really hope they figure it out & Daphne actually gets locked up. The "art school cred" argument is BS. But I'm bias because I've always like Bay's character more than Daphne.

What will happen to Daphne's other offenses? Won't she still have a record for taking the narcotics, which means med school is still off the table...but she's perfect so I'm sure it'll resolve itself.

Edited by jb0495
  • Love 3

Holy crap Bay. I was mad enough that once again the writers screwed up her once chance to have a good day by having her have to bail on the graduation party to take Daphne to the police, but then that? That was crap. She'd better just get community service. I agree that this won't hurt her in the way it would Daphne, but Daphne's the one who did it! Daphne should be the one punished! I would have been ok with it if Bay had gone ahead and done that, but Daphne hadn't let her. But nope, Daphne sees an easy way out and takes it. I wonder what will happen when John and Katherine find out. Will they side with Bay, or Daphne?

Edited by stopeslite
  • Love 1

I was just waiting for something magical to happen that would get Daphne out of having to serve time, but I certainly wasn't expecting Bay to take the blame. Wow, I am so angry at this show right now. 

• Love 4

Bay confesses to protect Daphne? All to keep Daphne from spending 3 months in jail for a crime she committed? What in the actual hell, show?

As far as I know, there's no law against Felons going to medical school, keeping them out for their criminal record is up to the school. And Daphne's family has the money and political connections that could get her in.

I think it's going to make Daphne, Regina, John, and Kathryn all look really bad if they let Bay go through with it. I know that the SaB Universe legal system only superficially resembles our own, but, given the amount of property damage Daphne and Nacho committed Bay would certainly be in danger of a felony conviction herself.

Also, this whole story is going to blow up anyway if Nacho is ever caught.

• Love 1

It may be hard for her to go to residency and get a job. On every application you have to say yes or no to ever committing a crime or felon. It's hard to get a license. But Daphne deserves that shit- she's an ungrateful brat who broke the law multiple times. I already erased this episode so I don't have to see Bay get crapped on again. I just CANT with this show anymore.

• Love 4

I screamed at my TV when I saw what Bay did.  Way to ruin what had been, up to that point, a fantastic episode.  I was happy with Daphne earlier, wanting to accept responsibility but way to screw all of that up, show!  I really hope the showrunners realize just how effed up this is and that John, Katherine & Regina refuse to let Bay go through with this.  Or, that the police are smart enough to figure out that no, Bay's story doesn't add up.  How ridiculous was it that the detective just believed Bay's "confession" without bringing anyone else over to interrogate her? 

Other than that, it was a pretty solid episode.  Other than the last 5 minutes, it felt like it could have easily been a series finale had the show not been renewed.

Edited by HighQueenEB
  • Love 4

"I need to take responsibility for my actions."

"I need to own up to what I did."

I was wondering why they were making Daphne sound so reasonable and mature. I almost said I can't believe she'd let Bay take the fall for her, but that would be a lie. Add this to the list of selfish deeds that Daphne won't ever learn from.

I think Bay figures that she will get off easier than Daphne would but I hope her street art doesn't come into play when she gets her punishment.

I am SO done with this show if the parents go along with this.

That being said, I liked a few things about this episode (even though they ruined it at the end). I liked Daphne's speech a lot. They reminded us that Emmett was Daphne's friend first and that the girls were switched. They called back to the switch a few times and I appreciated that. Brother Toby even got an acknowledgement.

I won't talk about how much of a wreck I was with Travis and his mom. Oh my goodness, I just couldn't hold it together!

• Love 3

I may have had something in my eye, or pesky allergies, when Travis' mom showed up.

I was holding it together until she showed up... and signed.  I know it's pat and in reality shouldn't make up for the proceeding 18 years and is not entirely consistent with everything they showed about her before, but I will take it. Damn that was lovely. 

And everything else about this episode was lovely too, until the last 3 minutes. What the actual FUCK show?I agree with those above about the parents going alone with it.  HELL NO!  I realize that for Bay it would be a first offense and that she did some minor graffiti shit herself when she went her spell of rebellion and that she got away with that.  But what Daphne did was on a huge scale and malicious and part of a pattern of behavior that she needed to face up to.  It is NOT OK for this to go forward. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 1

ARE THEY KIDDING WITH THIS?? Will Saint Daphne always come out on top? Will Bay never stop getting crapped on?? Ugh. Loathed the last 5 minutes of the show. [That being said, Bay has committed dozens of acts of vandalism, vis a vis her "art", over the years. She does need to be punished for that, perhaps with lots of community service like cleaning streets and buildings. It's poetic justice in a way but still, Daphne is the one who committed blackmail and serious destruction of property. She does not deserve to get off scot-free as always.]

But otherwise the episode itself was actually really good. Daphne’s speech made me confirm that I am, in fact, a sentimental fool. I almost teared up when the camera panned to Melody and Sharee especially, but also Toby, Bay, Matthew, Natalie, Travis and his mom. Well played, show. Also, this episode really highlighted the fact that Carlton has absurdly attractive students.

Toby should really date Sharee now that they’re no longer in school. It’d be nice to have her around more. (Something I never thought I’d say when she was first introduced.)

Edited by CleoCaesar
  • Love 2

I know it's pat and in reality shouldn't make up for the proceeding 18 years and is not entirely consistent with everything they showed about her before, but I will take it damn that was lovely.

YES. That was the best part of this episode. No, wait, the best part was Bay lining up a job for herself and figuring out how to meet all of their expenses, in defiance of her father's confidence that she couldn't. Travis and his mom were a close second, though.

The writing on this show has gone off the rails. Why did they close Carleton? There was zero reason to do that. They were all graduating. Melody was already going to another job. Toby doesn't need to coach because everyone he knows graduated. It's not like they needed to close it to advance any plot at all. The only person it affects is the new woman who bonks with Toby, and the writers could just have easily just had her job cut due to budget or something. 

And then Daphne will get more time for lying to the police. I just don't understand this. She may be able to walk it back right now if they do another quick lie and say that she wasn't following the conversation with the policewoman properly (due to being deaf and all) and didn't realize that Bay was taking the fall for her, but otherwise... I just don't get it. I'm more worried that it will be that Daphne has to tell Emmett what happened, and he tells Melody and/or Travis, and then they decide that they have to tell the truth, and then everyone gets mad at each other and in more trouble. 

Oh the stupid, it hurts!! It hurts!

FFS, that ending was so stupidly contrived. And SaB does what it unfortunately does best when it turns to ridiculous unbelievable melodrama: ruin real organic character-driven moments.

Such moments: John sitting in his big rich chair weeping. (DW Moffat is so damned good, too good for this shit show much of the time.) How real and truly sad that John would come to that helpless realization that he couldn't help his new daughter? That is real drama. Just like his turning to Kathryn and her being strong in that moment. Another moment: Travis' mom. It's not like she was fluent in sign language -- you could tell she was lost in some of the conversation -- but she was there, trying, because she loved her son. Again, a real organic moment. Daphne in her speech about siblings and Emmett -- a public acknowledgment of everything that's changed, and finally, Bay going with Daphne because she is both sister and sort of best friend. We were doing so good, guys!

And then...yeah, Daphne's fingerprints were there because she was trying to convince Bay to stop. Whoever said that Nacho (still can't believe they named a Latino character Nacho. Is his brother Dorrito?) will shut that shit down right away -- too true. Don't commit a crime in Kansas City because they have the dumbest police force in the history of all time!

(And ohnoohgod don't get me started on Wes and Regina. My eyes. WTF is wrong with that man's wardrobe?)

Edited by Gardencrown
  • Love 4

The Wes and Regina thing seemed so forced.  I knew it was coming because y'all predicted it then I saw the clues but it really felt thrown in.  Wes' whole character changed so much in the last few episodes.  He went from being all about the profit to falling for Regina and giving her law breaking daughter a pass over losing possibly millions on that Riverside project delay.  Then he gives up the whole project?  It makes no sense. 

I cannot believe that Daphne had zero fall out on stealing the drugs. I thought that was why the police were there.  How is the facility explaining the lost drugs to whatever agency oversees this stuff?  Because I am pretty sure you cannot just have a controlled substance disappear and not report it.  Did that doctor really like her that much to take the fall over it.  Surely, if I was on the board of that clinic he would be without a job if he could not trace where those drugs went.

• Love 3

Ha, funny to see all those reactions. I mean writers did just exactly what they are always doing. From the start of the show Bay is the Good sister, but she is underappreciated and overlooked. Daphne is the Bad sister, yet she is everyone´s favorite deaf little princess. I think they are very consistent with this characterization.

I think people overact to the twist because they think the show want us to see Daphne as someone we should root for to get away with everything, but i do not think this is what the show is trying to do. I think it is brave to portray deaf sister from poor background as bad one, and latina sister raised by two rich snobs as good one. It would be so much more easy to portray Daphne as deaf good girl and Bay as rebelious and wild latina spoiled by rich parents, 90% of other shows would choose to do that.

Oh well, maybe i am just biased because i like bad Daphne, she is entertaining. I can not wait how far she will go before the parents will realize, that Daphne have some serious flaws. Bay already know, and she is still very good to her unperfect sister, instead of being predictably resentful and jealous. I find it very sweet.

And that twist is pretty good in my opinion. It was suprising, i doubt many viewers expected THAT. It also offer good possibilities for the future storylines, for possible tension between family members, which i think is good for the show. Much better then supremely boring separate stories of their parents. It would not be good for the show to send Bay alone with Emmett on other side of US. Sisters and their relationship to each other and to their parents are the best part of the show.

• Love 2

The episode was going so well. I was pretty happy with it until I thought that there had to be a moment that would let Daphne get away with everything. And there it was. I certainly wasn't expecting it. And Regina and Wes, urgh. No. The episode was great up until the last 5 minutes. Really emotional and well done. Then they just undid all of that.

I don't dislike Daphne or anything at all. I don't mind any character on this show other than Renzo. But seriously, Daphne and her magically perfect moments and Bay constantly getting crapped on are getting a little ridiculous now. It was already dumb when they were fighting it and decided Daphne would only do 3 months. But even that had to magically fix itself? And Bay? Really? I can't.

Edited by asupercoolusername
  • Love 1

Daphne's speech at the graduation had me in tears. It was beautiful. 

My heart broke when Bay took the blame at the last minute. Not because it was a sad moment, but because I have never seen a more selfless person on this show, and it shows what family truly means. I was impressed, and I love the character of Bay even more now.

• Love 3

The writing on this show has gone off the rails. Why did they close Carleton? There was zero reason to do that. They were all graduating. Melody was already going to another job. Toby doesn't need to coach because everyone he knows graduated. It's not like they needed to close it to advance any plot at all. The only person it affects is the new woman who bonks with Toby, and the writers could just have easily just had her job cut due to budget or something. 

So they can use the same set for the new satellite Galludet campus, probably.  Plus, at least we heard about the budget issues previously - that's what brought about the "hearies" into the school in the first place.

• Love 1

My problem with the twist ending is this -- to redeem Daphne of her past actions -- not just the cocaine, kissing Travis, drugs, vandalism, etc, etc -- she had to own up to what she's done. It was a big character move for her. And they just took that away. Honestly, I'm not sure if her character has ever really faced the consequences for her frequent bad decision making. Sure, she got community service and probation for BLACKMAILING a politician -- but that's nothing. Now, she's committed several criminal acts and she's getting no punishment for them. In trying to portray a loving bond between the girls, they sacrificed Daphne's brave chance to redeem herself. It just makes it frustrating to watch because it feels like Daphne will never get truly pay for what she's done. While it was all in the name of grief, what Daphne did was wrong, Now Bay is sacrificing her own future -- and really her relationship with Emmett -- all for someone that let her take the fall. I'm not sure how Daphne can really be redeemed now. 

Edited by AustenChick
  • Love 2
My heart broke when Bay took the blame at the last minute. Not because it was a sad moment, but because I have never seen a more selfless person on this show, and it shows what family truly means. I was impressed, and I love the character of Bay even more now.

I thought it was quite selfless too... and not unheard of. I'm sure there are cases of family and friends taking the fall for a loved one... because he punishment would be less severe. Of course, it probably happened more when DNA technology wasn't as precise as it is now. But, it's totally in Bay's character to take the fall for Daphne.

But, yeah Daphne should have some consequences for her rebellious, crazy law-breaking ways. I hate to see her get a felony though. I know i'm all over the place. LOL! I'm torn between Daphne being punished and having her life ruined by a felony... because of teenage stupidity. I feel the same way about the countless people who received locked for non-violent crimes.

And then Daphne will get more time for lying to the police. 

I would have to rewatch the final scene, but if I recall Daphne only started collaborating with Bay's story once the police officer mentioned how much trouble Bay would be in if she was lying. Bay was speaking over her until that moment. I don't agree with what Bay did, but I understand why she did. I think she's right that her punishment will be minor compared to Daphne's, and it's possible that John's lawyer could have a real case with Bay. I think this will lead to some interesting plots, far more interesting than Daphne in jail, because everyone will have mixed feelings. How do you feel as a parent knowing one sibling is knowingly covering for another? Which family members will support Bay's decision? Who will be angry at Daphne? 

Next season, I'd like to see Daphne living with the guilt. I want to see her continuing to move forward, while still making amends to her family. The twist worked for me, but only if we continue to see character development next season. I don't want to revert back to Saint Daphne. 

• Love 2

I can't recall, they got the blackmailing of Senator Koto downgraded to a misdemeanor? I thought blackmail was a felony in its own right? 

I really can't wait to see what happens when the parents find out a - Bay took the fall for Daphne and b - Daphne let her. 

I really hope the parents get pissed off at Daphne letting Bay take the blame.  I don't want it to be, "oh that was such a wonderful thing."  I want anger and doses of reality that letting Bay get labeled a felon for something she did not do is simply NOT RIGHT, no matter how selfless and well intention Bay is.  I understand that the sentence Bay will get should be lighter based on the fact that she is a "first time offender" but wasn't she also arrested before? Could this cause problems.

• Love 1

What I'm wondering is ... if it was that easy to poke a hole in the "Daphne did it" story, why couldn't the lawyer come up with other holes?  Why was it such a slam-dunk case?    It wasn't any job site - it was Daphne's MOM's site.   Where her MOM obviously was setting things up.   Maybe Daphne went over to see it before the groundbreaking, maybe she touched things leaving her fingerprints.   Proving that she was THERE does not prove that she vandalized it, at all.   How did they even arrest her on that evidence?

Loved Travis's mom showing up though!   Better late than never.

• Love 4
What I'm wondering is ... if it was that easy to poke a hole in the "Daphne did it" story, why couldn't the lawyer come up with other holes?  Why was it such a slam-dunk case?    It wasn't any job site - it was Daphne's MOM's site.   Where her MOM obviously was setting things up.   Maybe Daphne went over to see it before the groundbreaking, maybe she touched things leaving her fingerprints.   Proving that she was THERE does not prove that she vandalized it, at all.   How did they even arrest her on that evidence?

EXACTLY!!! I thought the lawyer kind of sucked... Wrong or right, a lawyer's goal is to give their client the best defense and get them off by any means necessary (within the law). 

She was ready to plea bargain right off the bat without looking at any other option. But, I think that has more to do with the writers trying to wrap up the storyline quickly. The plea bargain/sentence may very well have been the final conclusion of the lawyer after presenting her defense to the prosecutor... But  that would have taken too long to play out. The writers had to quickly put Daphne and Bay in a tough spot that required to Bay to make her selfless gesture. They apparently didn't have enough time to play it out.

Bay confesses to protect Daphne? All to keep Daphne from spending 3 months in jail for a crime she committed? What in the actual hell, show?

As far as I know, there's no law against Felons going to medical school, keeping them out for their criminal record is up to the school. And Daphne's family has the money and political connections that could get her in.

True. I was really hoping that as Bay was trying to take the fall, Nacho would be lead in wearing handcuffs, and say "they caught you too" to Daphne or something... 

I think people overact to the twist because they think the show want us to see Daphne as someone we should root for to get away with everything, but i do not think this is what the show is trying to do. I think it is brave to portray deaf sister from poor background as bad one, and latina sister raised by two rich snobs as good one. It would be so much more easy to portray Daphne as deaf good girl and Bay as rebelious and wild latina spoiled by rich parents, 90% of other shows would choose to do that.

I thought that was the angle the show has gone with for the most part... until Angelo's death at least.

I cannot believe that Daphne had zero fall out on stealing the drugs. I thought that was why the police were there.

Me too! I thought they were going for a whole switcheroo with leading everyone to believe that the vandalism was the thing Daphne had to worry about, and then it would turn out to be the drug thing instead.But nope.

I think the plea bargain was because the investigator said that the DA was really pushing this for political reasons - they could be seen as really tough on crime and uncorruptible if they gave time to a state senator's daughter. So how tight the case was wouldn't matter; the DA was going in guns blazing no matter what.

Plus, at least we heard about the budget issues previously - that's what brought about the "hearies" into the school in the first place.

Exactly - that was a several-episode arc that took up a huge amount of plot time and had major almost-rioting by the students. But now "oh hey by the way we have to close lol bye" and it was all over?

Is it too soon to start speculating about where they'll go from here? I have a hunch they won't pick up where we left off and Bay will have been given community service or something to that effect.

Just out of curiosity, what would Bay's punishment be in the real world? Destruction of property, first-time offense.

As I recall they said in a previous episode that there'd been thousands on dollars worth of property damage,they'd managed to ruin some of the heavy equipment. According to the internet that'd be a class D felony in Missouri (IIRC that's where East Riverside is supposed to be) which is 1 to 4 years in prison.

I'd guess that they'd plea her down to a misdemeanor charge and maybe get her down to probation.

Of course they also said the DA was out for a high profile conviction of a State Senator's daughter, but I'm not sure the someone like that would be satisfied with letting Bay escape serving any time in jail.

Edited by Perfect Xero
  • Love 1

To answer your question CleoCaesar:

In the state of Missouri, Daphne's offense seems to fall under 2nd degree tampering ( (1) Tampers with property of another for the purpose of causing substantial inconvenience to that person or to another).

According to Missouri revised statutes of Robbery, Arson, Burglary and Related Offenses:

Tampering in the 2nd degree is a Class A misdemeanor which carries a maximum potential sentence of up to one year in jail and $1,000 in fines. Second degree property damage is a Class B misdemeanor which carries a potential sentence of up to 6 months in prison and fines of up to $500.

Alternatively, if they classify it as 1st degree tampering (Knowingly receiving, possessing, selling, altering, defacing, destroying, or operation a vehicle belonging to someone else without the consent of the owner.):

Tampering in the 1st degree is a Class C felony which carries a potential sentence of up to 7 years in prison and fines reaching $5,000.

I believe the former is more plausible in Bay's case fine-wise but with Daphne's previous record I think she could realistically fall in the latter in terms of years.

Edit: Sorry, someone already beat me to it :)

Edited by Eri
  • Love 1

Someone asked the question about a Latino character being called Nacho earlier. I know I may be a bit late to respond but I just wanted to point out that "Nacho" is a common nickname (diminutive) in Spanish speaking countries for someone named Ignacio.  Much like in English speaking countries someone named Robert might often be referred to by close friends and family as Bobby, Robbie, etc.  So there was nothing offensive or ridiculous about naming a Latino character Nacho.  While not an extremely popular boys name for Latinos in the U.S. it has consistently ranked in the top 50 the last few years.  Whether one believes the lore or not the inventor of nachos (the food)  was named Ignacio (although he went by the common nickname "Nacho") and evidently the food was named after him. 

Edited by xman4802
  • Love 1

I loved Daphne's graduation speech - have to admit that I teared up. I also loved seeing Travis' mother show up,speak to him in sign language and meet Melody who took him in. Such a great moment. I also liked how Daphne described meeting Sharee and how she became such a close friend.

I actually thought that Bay taking the blame for Daphne - another switch - was an ingenious way for TPTB to keep the core group in Kansas City next year. Even Sharee is going to St.Louis University so she will be in the vicinity. I agree that Daphne needs to be punished for the destruction of the property but I don't think that her whole life needed to be ruined. As a first time offender, my guess is that Bay will likely not face any jail time and will have to pay restitution. My guess is that the parents will institute their own punishment for Daphne.

• Love 1

I loved Daphne's graduation speech - have to admit that I teared up. I also loved seeing Travis' mother show up,speak to him in sign language and meet Melody who took him in. Such a great moment. I also liked how Daphne described meeting Sharee and how she became such a close friend.

I actually thought that Bay taking the blame for Daphne - another switch - was an ingenious way for TPTB to keep the core group in Kansas City next year. Even Sharee is going to St.Louis University so she will be in the vicinity. I agree that Daphne needs to be punished for the destruction of the property but I don't think that her whole life needed to be ruined. As a first time offender, my guess is that Bay will likely not face any jail time and will have to pay restitution. My guess is that the parents will institute their own punishment for Daphne.

I think TPTB did a great job in that instance but I can't believe Bay would do this. I think it would be more believable if they had agreed to do it together and Bay backed out last minute or something like that.

Is anyone interested in the Switched at Birth Xmas event- as if the switch never happened (which Daphne had a dream sequence about in 1A) which should be interesting. I did enjoy the fantasy episode where Regina had told about the switch.

I agree that Daphne needs to be punished for the destruction of the property but I don't think that her whole life needed to be ruined. As a first time offender, my guess is that Bay will likely not face any jail time and will have to pay restitution. My guess is that the parents will institute their own punishment for Daphne.

I've seen this opinion around and I just cannot get on board with it.

If Daphne didn't want her whole life to be ruined then she shouldn't have done what she did.  It's not like she's being framed or something and her life shouldn't be ruined.  She did it.  What makes her so different from all the other criminals who also have dreams and lives that they messed up because they made bad choices?  Daphne doesn't deserve for her future to be saved just because she's Daphne.  She made choices.  I'm sorry, but she just can't go and allow someone else's life and future to be put in jeopardy because of her own dreams.  She gave up her dreams when she chose to break the law.  Daphne wasn't brave.  She wasn't selfless.  She talked a good game, but jumped at the chance to get out of facing up to her actions.  Bay is 100% wrong and responsible for her part in this, but Daphne knows Bay is innocent, but is content at the moment to let Bay mess up her life for her when she knows she did wrong in order to get what she wants. She's the one talking about doing the right thing, but she sits there and lets Bay take the fall for her.  She's a selfish hypocrite.

And the fact that she wants to be a doctor doesn't somehow exempt her from having to face the consequences of her actions.  I keep seeing that because she wants to be a doctor and Bay wants to be an artist means that Bay can afford to be a felon.  Like WTH.  Bay can want to be a bum on the street, but that doesn't mean her future or her plans are less valuable or worthy than Daphne's dreams of being a doctor.  Daphne is the one who needs to adjust.  She likes cooking so she can open her own restaurant where she doesn't have to worry about her record.  SHE messed up.  Not being able to pursue medicine is the price she should have to pay.  I just don't believe she had the gall to go along with Bay, basically acknowledging that her future meant more than Bay.  She is at the core a very selfish person.  At the end of the day, the only thing that truly matters to her is what she wants.  She never sacrifices or does anything close to what others do for her.  It's maddening.

It's also very sad that Bay doesn't value herself enough that she would even consider doing this.  Her dreams are her dreams.  Just because they aren't doctor, lawyer, businessman doesn't make her any less worthy of having the chance to pursue what she wants.  The fact that she seems to think that Daphne being a doctor is more important than her having a clean record is just really sad.  

And who's to say Bay can recover from having a record so easy.   Sure, she wants to be a free-spirited, independent artist now, but what if she wants to go into a different art related field later on and she won't be able to because she has a record?  Or she does a 180 like Daphne has so many times and decides she does want a more traditional career or job, but can't get the one she wants because she lied for Daphne?  What if she wants to buy a home or get a loan and her having a record puts that all in jeopardy?  So all the "oh having a record won't impact Bay like it will Daphne" is frankly just BS to me.  Bay has no idea how much she could be messing up the rest of her life by doing this.  And why should she or anyone else just give up their good name and clean record willingly for someone else?  Why would anyone even allow it.  

I also don't understand this nonchalant attitude about Bay getting a light sentence because she's a first time offender so that somehow makes it not a big deal or something she can easily recover from.  Having a record is a big deal that will follow her for the rest of her life.  This attitude on the part of some people that, because it's Daphne who will benefit, that Bay is doing the right thing is all kinds of messed up.  Having a criminal record is having a criminal record.  That's a stigma that I wouldn't want to carry around for anyone.  Especially when I wasn't involved in any way shape or form and the person I'm sacrificing my life for has never shown an inkling of doing the same for me.

Daphne is a taker.  Her whole family minus Toby are running around trying to help her and throwing away their futures for her, but she just smiles her big toothy grin, throws out the occasional "I'm sorry," but never comes close to giving back to them what they give to her.

I'm most interested in Emmett's reaction to this.  Both Bay and Daphne are messing with his life as well with their lies.  Emmett had JUST finished telling Daphne how important Bay was to him and she still lets Bay do what she did.  What a great friend she is.  And Bay nonchalantly brushing aside his reaction was not a good moment for her as Emmett's girlfriend/ great love either.  They had made all these plans together and were embarking on this journey together and she just blows it all up without much thought of him.  She's going to make him go?  How you're going to do that Bay?  Do you think he's going to give you his blessing and not be upset that you threw away what you and he had been working towards?  And the whole LA move wasn't just about them being together anymore.  Bay had her own plans independent of him that she's just throwing away.  The museum job, the classes she was going to take.  Those were all better than the nothing she had going on at home in Kansas City.  Emmett deserves a little more consideration than he got from both his best friend and girlfriend.  But that's been an ongoing theme with this show.  As long as Daphne comes out unharmed, the bodies and destruction left in her wake don't really matter.

Edited by KBrownie
  • Love 8

Another thing that keeps gnawing at me - this is all being framed around how awful it is that Daphne might not get into medical school, her dream, if she has a criminal record. Oh, that would be the dream she's had for, what, all of two months or so? She's gone through at least three different "this is absolutely what I want to do with my life" decisions over the course of this show. That's fine, that's what teenagers are supposed to do, but when she was going on about how this was a thing she had "worked so hard for" and how it was all she wanted to do in life, all I could do was roll my eyes. Girl, you had zero interest in medicine until after you were forcibly put into a clinic for your probation. This is nothing like a lifelong dream being crushed. Know where a criminal record isn't as important? Cooking, which is what they showed her wanting to do for pretty much her whole life before this, which she seemingly only gave up on because she had a bad breakup with a chef. Gaaa.

Is anyone interested in the Switched at Birth Xmas event- as if the switch never happened

That kind of made me mad. After the kind of cliffhanger they left us with, next is yet ANOTHER fantasy sequence? Wasn't the dancing episode enough? Or John's death dream? No thanks.

Edited by stopeslite
  • Love 2