Type keyword(s) to search

Alone: Frozen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I would be very surprised if more than one person goes the distance.  I still don't understand why, if you have PTSD from your first season, you would go for a second.

Rooting for Amos, because I liked him during his first season as well as on the skills.  If not Amos, Winoya.

• Love 1
On 8/26/2022 at 7:51 PM, Jeanne222 said:

Might as well tap out on day 6 rather than hang around for 42 days then go home starving, frost bitten toes and a belly full of parasites!

Some came, took a look then said “I’m tapping come and get me”!

I still think they get some kind of $$ for agreeing to do the show!

On 8/26/2022 at 11:52 PM, rmontro said:

I think they have to.  Otherwise, most of the people on this show have put in an awful lot of work for nothing.

It is my understanding that this show films in Canada and Canada has very specific rules regarding paying people for appearing on a tv show. So I think they all get paid some hourly wage regardless of any prize since everything they do will potentially be broadcast for entertainment.

• Useful 1

The episode description for this latest one says "The environment proves too much." Yet all four of them managed to snare some kind of game or fowl this week, so the environment didn't, in fact, prove to be "too much" for any of them. No tap-outs.

Callie's "grouse getter" was pretty clever. Ironic she managed to catch one not with that contraption but with her bow and arrow. 

When Woniya said she was getting less and less mussels, I thought she meant muscles, as in her muscles were growing smaller. It didn't dawn on me she meant actual mussels, which she had been gathering for food, until she elaborated. 

Michelle said after her first appearance in Season 8 she had long term issues with her teeth and her eyesight. I wish they had elaborated more on that, like a helpful caption explaining why. 

Eating sea ice doesn't seem like a good idea.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Spoiler alert...oblique references to the last episode

Woniya: Wowza! That is some dental bill you paid for after coming home from your first Alone stint.  Paid for your dentist's kid college tuition. Use some of your secret weapon for flossing, too.

Michelle: Think you landed on Labrador very slim. Can't be too many lbs away from getting pulled for medical, jay bird soup barely a handful of calories. Already disappearing inside your clothes.

Amos: Even if you had landed the chop on your leg, doubtful your monotone would have changed one iota.

Callie: Hungry, cold, nauseous from cramps...1, 2, 3 get up....grrl's  gotta do what a grrl's gotta do...

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Michelle said after her first appearance in Season 8 she had long term issues with her teeth and her eyesight. I wish they had elaborated more on that, like a helpful caption explaining why. 

Well, she said she lost her enamel and had to have 14 cavities filled and two crowns.  And there was a caption saying that malnutrition can lead to tooth decay, so that seemed like enough info for me.  While we're on the subject, those captions kind of drive me crazy.  By the time I notice them, they're gone, or I've read half of it and it disappears.  Seems to me like you have to read them pretty fast or they'll disappear.  And my semi-OCD self will have to rewind the DVR to read the blasted thing.  Annoying.

Apparently the long term effects of being on this show are more severe than we might have realized.

Looks like Callie gets sick next week, plus they've been dropping hits she might not make it.  And they show a boat.  Too bad, because I'd like to see her go the distance.  When she made her grouse catcher 2000, I thought if that works, I'll be impressed.  We'll see.

This reminds me of something that has been bugging me.  When a contestant taps out, do they go around and pull up all his snares?  Because a lot of the time they're physically spent and probably can't do it themselves.  But in a lot of cases, if you didn't know where they were, you probably wouldn't find them, so I'm not sure the crew could get them all.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Callie’s comment that this time around, knowing how long you have to stay makes it somewhat easier is true.  In life, many things can be endured if you know what the end date is.    Unfortunately, it’s exactly what sucked all the life out of this show.  This season   Is exactly the opposite of what most folks have asked for, which is a season where they are dropped way early, maybe even spring, and given time to really build a shelter, put in provisions and see how long they can last.   I hope this snoozefest of a season doesn’t cause the show a permanent tap out.   

• Love 2

Logic dictates that - like many other competition shows (Survivor does this, I think) - there is a grand prize.  For this season of Alone: Frozen, anyone and everyone who survives 50 days will get an equal share of $500,000.  There is probably a descending pay scale for those who don't get all the way to the end.  

For example:  (Probably not actual figures)

50 days:  Share of $500,000  (would have been each $83,333 if they all made it to 50)

For those who didn't make it the whole 50: 

• Last one standing:  $50,000
  • Next to last:  $40,000
  • Third from last:  $30,000
  • Fourth through sixth place:  $10,000 each

JMO.

• Like 1

Finally got to watch this.  For some reason, I thought this was the last episode.  Good thing it wasn't.

Nice wins for everyone.  Loved the Grouse Catcher 2000, but wouldn't she have to disassemble it if she gets one?  then have to rebuild it?

Again, why are they waiting until day 12-13 to set snares/traps?  Maybe day 2 or 3, after you've had a chance to see where the game runs.

Michelle already looks too thin to go on.  Impressed that Woniya and Michelle actually came back with all those health problems.

On 9/2/2022 at 7:53 PM, rmontro said:

This reminds me of something that has been bugging me.  When a contestant taps out, do they go around and pull up all his snares?  Because a lot of the time they're physically spent and probably can't do it themselves.  But in a lot of cases, if you didn't know where they were, you probably wouldn't find them, so I'm not sure the crew could get them all.  

I literally turned to Mr. Max during the episode and said "I hope someone collects those traps after they leave."

• Love 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

WTF, did they just rerun last week's episode? Why?

I don’t know and was going to ask, myself. Did they even announce anywhere that they were going to do a repeat and not a new episode for some reason? 

3 hours ago, SassyCat said:

I don’t know and was going to ask, myself. Did they even announce anywhere that they were going to do a repeat and not a new episode for some reason? 

Nope.  And the skills challenge episode that followed it was a new one.  

I was mostly watching the 2 BBC channels last night so I don't know if any other US channels did this.  I know the Battlebots episode on Discovery was a new one.

WTF, did they just rerun last week's episode? Why?

Good, it wasn't  just me.  I thought the DVR screwed up again. 

I did manage to watch on demand.  I'm going to spoiler my thoughts, because it looks like most people didn't get to watch it.

Spoiler

So bummed to see Amos leave.  He was my favorite; I hoped he would go all the way.  First time,  we will definitely have a female winner.

Michelle seems to keep getting the meat.  As long as she does, I think she might last, but just a few days of no food could easily take her out.  She didn't start out heavy enough for this.

Callie might be next to go.  The mussels not agreeing with her, or possibly not cooked well enough.  She wasn't in next week's preview, but they could be faking us out.

Woniya's chimney looked good.  I still wonder why they don't do the heavy tasks when they're still fresh, not 19 days in.  Hope  she goes all the way.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, madmax said:

Good, it wasn't  just me.  I thought the DVR screwed up again. 

I did manage to watch on demand.  I'm going to spoiler my thoughts, because it looks like most people didn't get to watch it.

Reveal spoiler

So bummed to see Amos leave.  He was my favorite; I hoped he would go all the way.  First time,  we will definitely have a female winner.

Michelle seems to keep getting the meat.  As long as she does, I think she might last, but just a few days of no food could easily take her out.  She didn't start out heavy enough for this.

Callie might be next to go.  The mussels not agreeing with her, or possibly not cooked well enough.  She wasn't in next week's preview, but they could be faking us out.

Woniya's chimney looked good.  I still wonder why they don't do the heavy tasks when they're still fresh, not 19 days in.  Hope  she goes all the way.

Thanks for that.  On Comcast even On Demand had the wrong episode.  I'm hoping they figure out a way to correct it or a whole lot of people are not going to be able to watch it.  I even saw a Reddit about it.  It seems to be a network error not a provider error because it looks like everyone in the US has the problem - Canada doesn't.  Amazon Prime wanted to charge $2.99 to see it but that might even be the wrong episode. 

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Thanks for that.  On Comcast even On Demand had the wrong episode.  

I'm on Comcast and I got the correct episode On Demand.  But I watched a day later and that's when the new episodes are usually up.  

Edited by madmax
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, madmax said:

I'm on Comcast and I got the correct episode On Demand.  But I watched a day later and that's when the new episodes are usually up.  

I have Comcast also and the new episode isn't On Demand, at least not currently.  Looks like some people got it, and some people didn't, and some people are a week ahead.  Looks like I'll have to avoid this forum the week before the final if I'm going to avoid spoilers.  I don't usually mind spoilers, but finding out the winner of Alone is an exception.

Also, I'd rather see this show bundled together with the main Alone show, instead of separate.  But that's just my two cents.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, rmontro said:

Also, I'd rather see this show bundled together with the main Alone show, instead of separate.  But that's just my two cents.

I think it makes more sense, too, and that's how we started out.  I didn't even realize it had been moved, TBH, but as long as I can find the thread, it's not a big deal. 

• Love 1

This one finally showed up on the Bravo streaming channel. Assuming anyone actually makes it to Day 50 we'll finally have a female winner. 

I've never heard of anyone eating fox before, I wonder what that's like. Not that I expect anyone to actually catch one. 

I hope that Callie wins.  

Doesn't look promising at this point.

I think it's weird that the transitional scenery shows heavy snow but when they cut to the participants talking it's bright and sunny and there's not a flake on the ground. I mean, we get it, they're in a cold climate and it's winter, but . . . it's not snowing yet. Stop showing it snowing!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 9/10/2022 at 7:50 PM, rmontro said:

I have Comcast also and the new episode isn't On Demand, at least not currently.  Looks like some people got it, and some people didn't, and some people are a week ahead.  Looks like I'll have to avoid this forum the week before the final if I'm going to avoid spoilers.  I don't usually mind spoilers, but finding out the winner of Alone is an exception.

I checked Comcast On Demand this evening and it was finally the correct episode.  I feel strange about spoiling anything so I'll post my comments on it in a spoiler box.

BTW, I agree with you that this thread should be a sub-forum of the general "Alone" thread since it's a lesser spin-off of that show.  Too bad it doesn't have separate episode threads either as that would make the spoiler box unnecessary right now.

Spoiler

Finally the "Alone" franchise will have a female winner, on its most difficult season no less.  No small accomplishment!  At this point I'd be happy if any of them win.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think it's weird that the transitional scenery shows heavy snow but when they cut to the participants talking it's bright and sunny and there's not a flake on the ground. I mean, we get it, they're in a cold climate and it's winter, but . . . it's not snowing yet. Stop showing it snowing!

Is it really Winter yet, though?  Because I'm finding it weird that there wouldn't have been a snow cover on the ground already up there in Winter, unless they were having an unusually light season.  Even here in CT we already had a few inches on the ground right before Christmas last year.  And with temps. hovering around 35 degrees during the daytime up there I'm betting we're talking about November.

3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I checked Comcast On Demand this evening and it was finally the correct episode. 

Still not available here.  I don't understand it.  I mean I can wait until Thursday, but it's irritating.

13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I checked Comcast On Demand this evening and it was finally the correct episode.

Yes, I had it, too.  I had to make sure that I deleted the misnumbered recording of it because if you have recorded something, On Demand takes you to that first.  At least mine does.  There is a double episode tomorrow night that includes what was supposed to be aired last week. 

• Like 1
On 9/9/2022 at 6:36 PM, madmax said:

So bummed to see Amos leave.  He was my favorite; I hoped he would go all the way.

He was my favorite too.  I'm glad he went out on his own terms and didn't feel it necessary to justify his decision by claiming he came to prove something and he'd done it.  

On 9/13/2022 at 10:11 AM, iMonrey said:

I've never heard of anyone eating fox before

I think I'd have to be at death's door before I could do that.  Wouldn't it be like eating the family dog?

I was having trouble with my TV last week and didn't realize there had been no new episode.  I thought I'd missed it so I was glad to see it shown tonight.  However, two hours of Alone is really too much.

None of those women had much weight on them at the beginning and Michelle was almost skin and bones to start with so I'm surprised they're all hanging in there.  They all seem to be expending far more calories than they're taking in.

• Love 2

Too bad about Amos.  I can't fault him for leaving, he knows his body best.  He didn't look as skinny as the rest of them, though, on the way out.  He was complaining he wasn't finding enough food but it wasn't like he had let himself get emaciated or anything.  I think these second timers know what a toll the show takes on their bodies so they are less likely to let it get to that point.  He pretty much said that.  He gets my respect but I'm still sorry so see him go.

I notice that they are making the next episode a 2 hour/two parter now to make up for their mistake last week.  The first hour will be "Outfoxed", the episode they should have aired already but didn't and the second will be the new one.

I'm not really partial to any of the women but I wouldn't be unhappy if either Callie or Woniya won.  Right now Woniya strikes me as doing the best out there but this season has been hard to predict based on previous seasons so it's really anyone's game right now. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

It's nice to be caught up finally.  For some reason, I had thought this was going to be the last episode, but it's probably next week?  This is good because now I don't have to worry about being spoiled to the winner.

I like everyone left, although Callie has always been a favorite.  They've been teasing her departure for two shows now, so we'll see if she's a goner or if it's just a red herring.  Wynona seems to be killing it.  At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see her and Michelle go the distance, although Michelle's been doing a lot of whining about missing her husband.  Again, could be a red herring.  I'm the suspicious sort, I guess.

Edited by rmontro
  • Like 2

Finally the "Alone" franchise will have a female winner, on its most difficult season no less.  No small accomplishment!  At this point I'd be happy if any of them win.

That's assuming anyone actually wins this season. I mean, I would assume someone makes it 50 days, but we're not even halfway up to that, so it's hard to believe they will cover 25+ days in just one more episode (if next week's is indeed the last). 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

That's assuming anyone actually wins this season. I mean, I would assume someone makes it 50 days, but we're not even halfway up to that, so it's hard to believe they will cover 25+ days in just one more episode (if next week's is indeed the last). 

That would be an unsatisfying conclusion if no one won.  I'm assuming next week is the conclusion, it's two hours long and there is no episode scheduled for the week after.  There are two new Skill Challenges though, they're probably burning off the last of those.

It is odd that they're covering half the time in the last two hours, but there are less people, and once winter comes it's mostly hunkering down and not a lot goes on.

Heck, just stick Juan Pablo out there and he'll starve himself for 25 days, no problem.  Probably wouldn't even need a fire, he can just lay out in the snow.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Actually they are 25 days in at this point so isn't that half way through?

Plus it isn't unlike this show to compress time to shorten the season, we've seen it before.  So I wouldn't take that to mean at least one of them doesn't last all 50 days.  

7 hours ago, rmontro said:

It is odd that they're covering half the time in the last two hours, but there are less people, and once winter comes it's mostly hunkering down and not a lot goes on.

Yep that's what I'm thinking.  The episodes are getting a little repetitive by now so at least for me, I would welcome them only putting in the more interesting parts.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Yep that's what I'm thinking.  The episodes are getting a little repetitive by now so at least for me, I would welcome them only putting in the more interesting parts.

I hate to say it, but this whole show is getting a little repetitive.  Build shelter, kill animal, complain about missing family, say it's cold, repeat, repeat.  I'm still enjoying it though, the personalities keep it fresh.

• Love 4

Last caption I saw said 21, but I may have missed one after that.

I hate to say it, but this whole show is getting a little repetitive.  Build shelter, kill animal, complain about missing family, say it's cold, repeat, repeat.  I'm still enjoying it though, the personalities keep it fresh.

It really lives and dies with the participants, and I think part of the problem with Frozen is that Michelle, Woniya and Callie are all a little too similar in personality and temperament. 

• Like 1

Speaking of Juan Pablo, I wonder if he's had any long term effects of his time on Labrador.  We've heard numerous contestants on Frozen talk about how their previous stays damaged their health.  And Juan Pablo really deprived himself.  I think he must be from Krypton though.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 9/15/2022 at 11:26 PM, Yeah No said:

I think these second timers know what a toll the show takes on their bodies so they are less likely to let it get to that point. 

I agree, I think that they are quicker to evaluate the food situation and decide it's not sustainable, which is why we saw so many early taps.

• Love 5
On 9/17/2022 at 12:05 AM, Yeah No said:

It's really confusing me that they're counting backward from 50 rather than forward from 1.   I wish they showed both numbers 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
On 9/17/2022 at 11:49 AM, iMonrey said:

Last caption I saw said 21, but I may have missed one after that.

It said 25 days left at the end of the episode which I just confirmed thanks to "On Demand".

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 1

That was a great two episodes. I am so happy for Woniya! So happy that at least one of them made the full 50 days. Maybe if Michelles father hadn’t been an optometrist, she would have tried to stay and figured out a way to keep her eyes from getting worse. Woniya’s eyes were so puffy when she first started feeling the effects of the smoke on them and you could tell at the end, her eyes and skin had been through hell. Its going to take a long time to get that skin back to what she started out with 50 days ago. Now she will be able to afford the finest eye cream available,, which is probably something she could dig up out in her own backyard anyway.

The reunion with her sweetheart was especially heartwarming and emotional. Made me shed a tear myself 🥲

Congratulations Woniya!🏆Congratulations All of you and a special note to all the last three who were all women. 🏅🏅🏅

• Love 7

I really hope the producers of Alone now realize, if they at least have contestants equally balanced between the genders, women have an EXCELLENT chance of actually winning. Personally, I feel that since the first season of Alone was male only, they should have a season of female only. Congratulations to Wonyia, she was awesome.

• Applause 4
16 minutes ago, diebartdie said:

I really hope the producers of Alone now realize, if they at least have contestants equally balanced between the genders, women have an EXCELLENT chance of actually winning. 

Well, I agree.  But I think I heard somewhere that they actually have trouble finding qualified women who want to come on the show.  Maybe more will turn up with the women's success this season though.  And I do think of this as a separate season of Alone, rather than a different show altogether.  Obviously the producers do too, since they called Woniya the first female winner.  Congratulations to her, she definitely deserved it.

How crazy would it have been if smoky shelters would have taken the last two competitors out?  As someone who suffers from frequently red, burning, painful eyes, I kind of thought Michelle might have tapped out too early, but I'm sure there are a lot of psychological factors going into those decisions.  Like her dad being an opthalmologist!  Maybe if her dad had been a brain surgeon, she would have stayed lol.

I don't think I typed Woniya once this season without having to look up how it was spelled.

• Love 5

I'm very happy for Woniya, he win was well deserved. I don't wish to take anything away from her but she's not technically the first female to win Alone since this was a special edition with only six contestants, but she did last 73 days on her first season and that's nothing to sneeze at. 

There was a moment of hilarity and I can't decide if it was intentional or not, but when Michelle caught the grouse and was crying into the camera over her need to find food, a chyron suddenly popped up on the screen saying "this episode brought to you by Dominoes, real food, real ingredients" (or whatever their slogan is). Talk about timing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I didn't think anyone would go the distance. Got choked up when Woniya husband came around the corner to greet her. I hope she didn't take herself to the brink. I can't complain when people run out of food and they tap. That's actually what they should do. This is a challenge to see if you can sustain yourself, not see how close you can come to a heart attack or some other malady. Cassie tapped out when she should have. One thing that marks the three last woman was there positive outlook no matter how bleak the situation was. Woniya is actually set for life not just from the 500k.  She is a good looking woman and who can articulate really well. She can pitch products do shows whatever. Glad she got when she did she really looked beat.

As for the men vs woman it was just a matter of the odds. With fewer woman participating in most seasons it was just a crap shoot. I don't see any real advantage being a man in living off the land.  

My idea of surviving is going out in the wilderness with a full loaded RV.

• Like 1
  • Love 1