Type keyword(s) to search

Alone: Frozen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Consensus seemed to be for one thread, but we can always do more later...in any case, E99: Before the Freeze aired a few weeks back and is up online if you want to meet the cast for this special season, described as:

"In Alone: Frozen six of Alone’s strongest participants from past seasons return to put their survival skills to the test for a second time. Dropped off on the frigid North Atlantic Coast of Labrador, Canada just as winter is setting in, and battling howling winds, constant rain, and North America’s most fierce cold-weather predators, survivalists will set out to last fifty days in a location with the densest population of Polar Bears in Canada and face extreme conditions worse than any previous season of Alone. With just a few supplies and their previous experiences to learn from, the survivalists who go the distance will win their share of the $500,000 cash prize. Returning survivalists of Alone: Frozen include fan favorites Greg Ovens (season three), Woniya Thibeault (season six), Callie Russell (season seven), Mark D’Ambrosio (season seven), Amós Rodriguez (season seven) and Michelle Finn (season eight)."

On 8/8/2022 at 2:40 PM, tljgator said:

Consensus seemed to be for one thread, but we can always do more later...in any case, E99: Before the Freeze aired a few weeks back and is up online if you want to meet the cast for this special season, described as:

"In Alone: Frozen six of Alone’s strongest participants from past seasons return to put their survival skills to the test for a second time. Dropped off on the frigid North Atlantic Coast of Labrador, Canada just as winter is setting in, and battling howling winds, constant rain, and North America’s most fierce cold-weather predators, survivalists will set out to last fifty days in a location with the densest population of Polar Bears in Canada and face extreme conditions worse than any previous season of Alone. With just a few supplies and their previous experiences to learn from, the survivalists who go the distance will win their share of the $500,000 cash prize. Returning survivalists of Alone: Frozen include fan favorites Greg Ovens (season three), Woniya Thibeault (season six), Callie Russell (season seven), Mark D’Ambrosio (season seven), Amós Rodriguez (season seven) and Michelle Finn (season eight)."

Now we get to see people begin to suffer almost immediately. 50 days...I really wonder if any will make it?

I'd like to see a year long challenge with 20 contestants (return and new) for their share of a million dollars starting in early spring. I'd love to see the cabins these people would make, they could get a garden going, smoke food. In this scenario I believe people would tap out due to loneliness or injury, rarely because they couldn't provide for themselves.

• Love 4

Welp...that was a quick, anti-climatic exit. If you didn't want to be there, you shouldn't have gone in the first damn place (and it sounds A LOT like you already knew that was so before you went out there). Was he just trying to be reality-tv-famous and when nobody noticed the first time, he thought he'd try again, but it was hard work and so he gave up? Feh.

Why didn't Callie go ahead and scrounge up some seaweed and mussels to mix in with her meal of watery seal fat? Seemed a bit much on its own, no?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, tljgator said:

Welp...that was a quick, anti-climatic exit. If you didn't want to be there, you shouldn't have gone in the first damn place (and it sounds A LOT like you already knew that was so before you went out there).

Exactly what I said to Mr. Max.  I liked Mark in the first challenge, but he totally lost my respect (as if he cares) on this one. It felt like he didn't want to be there, so give someone else the chance.  Don't tap on day five and say "I don't feel like a quitter."  Uh, you are.

Callie's seal fat soup looked disgusting.  I was worried when they put up the chyron "It has also been used as a laxative" that we'd be treated to something uncontrollable and that she would be tapping out.

I like Amos, liked him the first go 'round.  I hope he makes it this time.

Just think, $100K each if they all last 50.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, madmax said:

Callie's seal fat soup looked disgusting.  I was worried when they put up the chyron "It has also been used as a laxative" that we'd be treated to something uncontrollable and that she would be tapping out.

They kept showing someone vomiting in the in between scenes.  I couldn't quite make out who it was, but I hope Callie's scavenging habit doesn't do her in.  She eats roadkill?  Ick.

I like Amos also.  I got a kick of his "Rain, rain, go away, come again a different day".  I'm not sure if that's just his daughter's version or if that's the way he thinks it goes.

Mark started talking about his son early in the episode, and I thought "Nah, he couldn't be thinking of tapping out so early".  And playing the weak "I miss my family" tune at that.  I'm thinking he wasn't there so much for fame, but maybe to just collect a quick check.  Lame.  Real lame.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Mark was laying it on thick about his son, and how he was going to be missing his birthday. He was talking about missing his family way too early and I guess his heart just wasn't into the hard days he knew he was going to be facing. That shelter he was building was WAY to big, stacking those logs in that split tree base. They looked about 15ft long at least. That was a mistake that maybe became apparent to him once he got those 5 or so logs cut and stacked. What was he thinking!?  It was a daunting task to finish and he just said the hell with it. 

That sheet of seal fat Callie just happened upon was wild! It must have been disgusting to drink a soup of it. I think that was her puking in the previews. She should render it all down and use it in small bits with whatever else she gathers or captures for food. She could win doing that. I don’t know how to or anything about rendering fat, but someone recently did that, I forget who, and something stole his pot o’fat if I remember correctly. I wonder if you could brine those grouse in sea water to get some salt added for flavor. 

I remember Amo’s was doing really well the last time he was on. Those mussels looked delicious, tho a bit of butter and garlic would have made them heavenly. I wonder if theres any wild garlic growing around there. I’ve found it here in the northeast. They’re tiny and not as strongly flavored as domesticated garlic, but would definitely add some good flavor. I hope they both go the distance and collect the extra percentage of $$ that Mark walked away from. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

A barely remember any of these people, and most of them are from very recent seasons. Clearly my memory is shot. I do remember Callie's frostbite and I remember that shelter catching fire and burning down, and I sort of remember when they pulled Mark because of his heart condition. I'll have to wait until we get the backstories of the others. 

Strange, there are only six participants and they still do that thing where they only focus on half of them in one episode. I guess that's just the format so they can stretch it out into more episodes. Either that or they get paid per episode. Except they showed all six at the beginning, so why only focus on three?

I'm so disgusted with Mark just throwing in the towel like that after only five days. Who knows, maybe these were literally the only six people they could get to do this, but I've got to think someone else out there would have loved to have the opportunity and are just as frustrated watching Mark throw it away. What a wuss.

This is the same location that we just left in Season 9 isn't it? I wonder if any of them got former campsites. Someone might be lucky enough to get Juan Pablo's junkyard area.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

This is the same location that we just left in Season 9 isn't it? I wonder if any of them got former campsites. Someone might be lucky enough to get Juan Pablo's junkyard area.

It's the same state (Labrador) but this group was all put on the coast where the earlier contestants were put much further inland (according to Woniya)

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
On 8/12/2022 at 7:22 PM, rmontro said:

They kept showing someone vomiting in the in between scenes.  I couldn't quite make out who it was, but I hope Callie's scavenging habit doesn't do her in.  She eats roadkill?  Ick.

I like Amos also.  I got a kick of his "Rain, rain, go away, come again a different day".  I'm not sure if that's just his daughter's version or if that's the way he thinks it goes.

Mark started talking about his son early in the episode, and I thought "Nah, he couldn't be thinking of tapping out so early".  And playing the weak "I miss my family" tune at that.  I'm thinking he wasn't there so much for fame, but maybe to just collect a quick check.  Lame.  Real lame.

I'm not sure Mark has a missus!  He only talks about his son.

If I were Mark, I would have stuck it out ...if for no other reason than so I didn't have to deal with all the snark! He should have told producers he was having regrets before they dropped him. 

I wish the "family first" taps would just admit THEY want to quit. Their loved ones are most likely not inconsolable without them,  and they have not really "won" some invaluable life prize by realizing that family matters to them. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I wish the "family first" taps would just admit THEY want to quit. Their loved ones are most likely not inconsolable without them,  and they have not really "won" some invaluable life prize by realizing that family matters to them. 

Here's how I look at it.  If the contestant were a traveling salesperson, the family would expect him/her to work hard, put up with some inconveniences (bad hotel, bad food, etc.), but come home with the highest potential amount of money available for their time away.

I'm thinking the family won't be overly excited about a "salesperson" who heads out with a target of a share of $500,000 - just for staying on the road - if he/she quits and comes home because he/she misses the family.  Now the family has had to put up with the absence, but with no reward.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 7

Is it just me, or are these some seriously whiny "survivalists"? "It's harder than I thought it would be!" (You thought it would be easy?) "I have to do all these hard things like finding food or not having food and drying off when I get wet, just like I had to do last time!" (You thought it would be different?)  "All my stuff that I barely covered with a saggy tarp is wet, and it seems like it's going to keep raining here in this place where I was told it rains/snows every day!" (You expected sunshine and rainbows?) "It's been less than a week, but I miss my people." (You know the show is called 'Alone' for a reason, right?!)

Feh. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

I looked on the History Alone Frozen website and noticed that they don’t list the ten chosen items for the Frozen participants like they do for the regular Alone series. 
Has anyone else found the list for each person? I always like to see who chose to bring food rations. Or salt. (My spirit animals!)

• Useful 1

I like Greg and his Canadian accent but I'll be surprised if he decides to tough it out.  He's having plenty of doubts already.  I don't think Michelle will last either.  She's very thin and can't afford to lose much weight.  Right now I'm finding it hard to believe anyone will last 50 days.

Watching this show makes me feel cold.  I actually went and turned the a/c setting up a couple degrees.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, RunningMarket said:

I turned to my husband last night and wondered if this will be shortest season of Alone ever. 

Also, if I took a drink for each time someone mentions a damn polar bear... 😵

Remember Tango64's Rule of Alone: If anyone dies, the season will never air and you'll hear about it right away. Ipso facto, nobody died from a polar bear. 😉

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

@tljgator - I said the same thing to Mr. Max.  What did they expect?  They all tapped during their last challenges, when they actually had warmish weather in which to prepare.  Did they think the weather would be turned off for them?

I don't think Greg or Michelle will make it much longer.  Greg has been pessimistic from day one, so he's going to tap as soon as shit gets any harder.  Michelle is just too thin, which is why she only made 21 days on her last challenge.

I'm hoping for Amos to go the distance, because I really liked him during his first challenge.  Woniya, too, but she's already expressing doubts.

• Love 4

Day 5. Five people remain. And yet? They only show three of them. I simply do not get this.

At this point, it doesn't look like anyone is going to last 10 days let alone 50. Where did they find these people? I mean, every one of them has done this before and knew exactly what they were getting themselves into. I think the problem might be that during their first go-round they had a sort of honeymoon period when they were first dropped off and the weather was tolerable. This time they start off cold and there's no newness to the experience so they sour on it much more quickly. It's still surprising they seemed to have unrealistic expectations of what this time would be like. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
On 8/18/2022 at 10:25 PM, tljgator said:

Is it just me, or are these some seriously whiny "survivalists"? 

Well, they definitely were in the second episode.  Can't say I enjoyed it much.  I don't even understand why Greg is on the show.  From what he says, he has traumatic memories of Patagonia.  I don't get why he came back to do it again.

I'm curious as to what happens if you spray a polar bear with pepper spray?  

• Like 2
On 8/19/2022 at 3:27 PM, Tango64 said:

Remember Tango64's Rule of Alone: If anyone dies, the season will never air and you'll hear about it right away. Ipso facto, nobody died from a polar bear. 😉

There is a similar law relating to any Ghost Hunters-type show:  If they ever really catch a ghost on film, you'd know about it right away.

I did feel bad that they dropped the folks off so late in the day that there wasn't enough daylight left for them to set up a shelter or make a fire.  That just seems mean. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I did feel bad that they dropped the folks off so late in the day that there wasn't enough daylight left for them to set up a shelter or make a fire.  That just seems mean. 

I also wondered how that counted in the tally of days that they spent there.  If they got dropped off late in the day, does that count as their first day, or do they have to spend 24 hours to qualify as their first day?

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I believe I read somewhere that the weather forced them to delay the drop-offs by several hours.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
15 hours ago, rmontro said:

I'm curious as to what happens if you spray a polar bear with pepper spray?  

Not sure about a polar bear, but this is an old Alaskan tour guide joke that seems appropriate here.

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

So everyone wants to go home!  One misses her man, one is having PTSD from the first go round and one is too skinny from the get go!

I’m wondering if there’s some kind of money deal if they apply  and get picked?

Couple of thousand would mean a lot to these folks.

Just speculating on why they showed up!

22 hours ago, rmontro said:

I also wondered how that counted in the tally of days that they spent there.  If they got dropped off late in the day, does that count as their first day, or do they have to spend 24 hours to qualify as their first day?

I'm pretty sure the day they dropped is day one.  The chyron was saying 49 days left when they were dropped off.

21 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I believe I read somewhere that the weather forced them to delay the drop-offs by several hours.

They should have just waited until the next day.  Having only a few hours to set up shelter really put them behind, and it's going to be hard enough to make  it.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

So everyone wants to go home!  One misses her man, one is having PTSD from the first go round and one is too skinny from the get go!

I mean, come on, it's only 50 days.  What would these people do if they had to go on a military trip?  I mean, yeah they're in a hard place where life is a struggle, but as far as being away from family, come on.  It's 50 days.  I could see it more maybe on the regular seasons where they're out there indefinitely, maybe 100 days or more.  But there's a light at the end of the tunnel here.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Goodness, these folks are really engaging in some negative self talk! And tears already?! I can't believe they are so surprised at how cold and hard it is when the show is literally called "Alone: Frozen!" Yeah, it doesn't really make for inspiring viewing to watch a bunch of people bitch, complain and cry. I would think for the sake of their standing as survival experts and their survival-related businesses, they would just resolve to stick it out a decent amount. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Couple of thousand would mean a lot to these folks.

Just speculating on why they showed up!

I'm wondering too.  It looks like some of these people had to be bribed to do this.  Maybe the show had trouble recruiting enough people to do this so they had to sweeten the deal just for showing up.  It's the only way I can explain Mark's quick exit and all the bitching going on about stuff they should have expected.  It feels like some or even most of them were last minute additions, like they weren't mentally or otherwise prepared for what they were getting into.  Because duh, it's going to be harder right away being dropped off as Winter begins anywhere, let alone Labrador.  And here they are acting bummed out about that like it wasn't their idea to have to face that.  But what did they expect?  Maybe they can't help but compare this to the relative ease of their first experience on the show, but of course this is going to be more difficult than that.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 8/13/2022 at 11:30 AM, iMonrey said:

Strange, there are only six participants and they still do that thing where they only focus on half of them in one episode. I guess that's just the format so they can stretch it out into more episodes. Either that or they get paid per episode. Except they showed all six at the beginning, so why only focus on three?

I'm so disgusted with Mark just throwing in the towel like that after only five days. Who knows, maybe these were literally the only six people they could get to do this, but I've got to think someone else out there would have loved to have the opportunity and are just as frustrated watching Mark throw it away. What a wuss.

I'm wondering if there wasn't some overlap between the people in Season 9 and this show.  Because it looks similar to the time of year just before it started to snow on Season 9.  Obviously these people are in a different area so theoretically they could have been dropped off while Season 9 was still going on.  I would think it would be cheaper and easier to do it that way too because they're already out there anyway.

And yeah, I think them focusing on only a few in an episode is a way to stretch things out and that these were the only people they could get to do this.  6 seems like an arbitrary number to me.

• Useful 2
55 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I'm wondering too.  It looks like some of these people had to be bribed to do this.  Maybe the show had trouble recruiting enough people to do this so they had to sweeten the deal just for showing up.  It's the only way I can explain Mark's quick exit and all the bitching going on about stuff they should have expected. 

This season needs Juan Pablo.  He would just sit there and starve without a fire, and go slowly loco.  Shoot, he didn't eat for 20 days on purpose.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I can't believe they are so surprised at how cold and hard it is when the show is literally called "Alone: Frozen!" 

Maybe when they signed up, they had been told the working title was "Alone:  Warm and Dry". 

Or maybe "Alone:  Warm and Dry (with Family)".

Edited by rmontro
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

We also know from the pre-show episode that everyone was out in the general area for 1-2 weeks.  The conditions couldn't have come as that much of a surprise. 

Sure, they were out there for "boot camp" to refamiliarize themselves with the cameras and stuff BUT nobody who gets cast on this show has any idea where in the world they will be dropped off. Could be the arctic, could be Patagonia, could be Vancouver, could be literally anywhere and they will not know until they've signed the dotted line, packed their bag and get on the plane taking them to boot camp. Sure, Greg OUGHT to have known a damn canvas tarp was very, very, very stupid and pairing that with a down filled sleeping bag was really such a rookie mistake no matter where they might end up...honestly though, Greg should not have been invited. He was fairly recently charged with serious violations of wildlife protection and environmental protection laws up in Canada (as well as my beloved Fowler, winner of season 3, the best season). Regardless, he's coming across as even more bumbling and clueless than he did his first go around and that time he ended his run in a very bad place. I don't see anything good coming of having Greg a part of this season. I would have MUCH preferred Callie and Carleigh from season 3, or the grand master of them all, Supreme Musk Ox Killer ROLAND the G.O.A.T...if anyone could find him that is.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Enough with the polar bear talk.  It's just a ploy to make the viewers gasp, "OMG, they're being dropped in dangerous territory" so they keep tuning in to see if there's a sighting.  And I swear that paw print may have been....manufactured because there was a boot print right next to it.  Just like I'm calling foul on Callie just so happening upon a seal hide complete with enough fat to make a soup.  Yuck!

So this episode just focused on the second set of 3 who just whined and complained.  Mr. Ctlady fell asleep during the last 20 minutes, but told him not to bother rewinding because he didn't miss anything.  I was certain one (or all) were going to tap out, but it looks like the producers decided to edit to stretch it out over the course of two episodes.  I mean, - with only 6 people, Mark tapping out on day 1 and these three bellyaching already, there won't be enough contestants left to garner enough episodes or to get to 50 days  I mean, - what if all of them cash it in before day 10?  I'll have to watch this carefully.  If we're 4 weeks in tv wise and only on day 6-7 on the show then you know the producers are just milking boring footage with fake polar bear sightings or the irate fake out of something incredulous before it goes black to a commercial, only to come back and find out it was just their shadow.  It's really becoming BS now.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ctlady said:

And I swear that paw print may have been....manufactured because there was a boot print right next to it.  Just like I'm calling foul on Callie just so happening upon a seal hide complete with enough fat to make a soup.

There have been posters here for years saying that the producers are dropping off items and food for the contestants.  I'm a pretty cynical person, and I know nearly all reality shows are fake to some extent.  But I've never thought they're dropping off food for them.  In some ways, this is a game show, and that would be directly interfering with the game IMO, I'm not even sure that's legal (after the game show scandals in the '50s).

Now the paw print, yeah I wouldn't have any trouble believing that was manufactured, a shot included for drama.  Sort of like the shot of the wolf a few years back that never turned up during the show.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, rmontro said:

There have been posters here for years saying that the producers are dropping off items and food for the contestants.  I'm a pretty cynical person, and I know nearly all reality shows are fake to some extent.  But I've never thought they're dropping off food for them.  In some ways, this is a game show, and that would be directly interfering with the game IMO, I'm not even sure that's legal (after the game show scandals in the '50s).

Now the paw print, yeah I wouldn't have any trouble believing that was manufactured, a shot included for drama.  Sort of like the shot of the wolf a few years back that never turned up during the show.

I don't think there are shenanigans on Alone, but I get a very strong vibe of production assistance on Naked & Afraid.  There can NOT be that many circumstances of people starving for 19 days, but they find some substantial protein on Day 20 to prepare for the ending hike on Day 21.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
On 8/20/2022 at 6:37 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

There is a similar law relating to any Ghost Hunters-type show:  If they ever really catch a ghost on film, you'd know about it right away.

Sounds like the River Monsters rule that Jeremy only catches the fish he's after in the last minute of the show.

Seems like a lot of these folks made poor choices as to what they brought.  And the one who lost his pot?  Now that's stupid.

Man, this just keeps getting worse. I can't see any of these people lasting 50 days. And yet, if they all end up tapping out before Day 50, it would make this whole season totally pointless and a failure, and I wouldn't even think The History Channel would bother airing it. So maybe someone does last 50 days? I'd have to give Amos the edge on that if any of them do.

• Love 1

I agree someone must last the 50 days, or they wouldn't bother to show it, at least I assume so. 

I tend to cut them some slack, I can see  it would be tempting to try again, when they were approached,  I think once they recovered from their first experience, they would..I don't know, not really forget what it was really like maybe, but being offered another chance I could see would make them think it would be easier the second time around, but then they get there, and the reality sinks in, really fast,  building another shelter, hunting for food, freezing etc.  I honestly think some of them forgot how hard it was and how much they suffered.

I felt tired just watching them this time, I mean even more tired than I usually feel in the previous seasons, that's why I watch it sitting in bed, with snacks... you could almost see some of them thinking, what the hell was I thinking?    I just can't critize them and why they decided to do it agian, as I could not do anything like that, ever.  We had Rogers shut down for 2 days and I nearly lost my mind!   

• Like 1

Might as well tap out on day 6 rather than hang around for 42 days then go home starving, frost bitten toes and a belly full of parasites!

Some came, took a look then said “I’m tapping come and get me”!

I still think they get some kind of $$ for agreeing to do the show!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I still think they get some kind of $$ for agreeing to do the show!

I think they have to.  Otherwise, most of the people on this show have put in an awful lot of work for nothing.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

This show looks so bleak it could be shot in black and white.  It makes me depressed and I'm watching from the comfort of my living room. 

They missed the mark on this one!  These poor souls don't seem to have a chance!

A program about sustainability has to offer SOMETHING to sustain on!

A berry, a fish, a rabbit, a bird!  So far nuttin much!

19 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

This show looks so bleak it could be shot in black and white.  It makes me depressed and I'm watching from the comfort of my living room. 

It's a great show if you're a mussel collecting enthusiast.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2