Type keyword(s) to search

S3.E10: The Demon of the End

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

On 8/14/2022 at 2:58 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

Lynn completely ignoring that fact that the nun was beating invisible demons to death with a shovel while they chatted.

I loved that part, too!

"What are you doing"

"Killing demons."

"Okay, so about this nun thing...." 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 8/15/2022 at 11:51 PM, Barbarblacksheep said:

And then she just shrugged it off: "It's an old house" 😱

The Andy storyline promises to be really intriguing and I want to know more about how he was "brought back" (from the dead???) or for that matter, why, in terms of why Leland and Sheryl spared him when the "killed in an avalanche" probably would have worked for their purposes.

My impression was that they spared him because the girls said that the Edward call was fake and that Leland was behind it. We saw Leland and Edward carrying Andy (was he dead or drugged? We don't know). Sheryl looked really panicked when the girls said that the call was fake. We see her making a call and then Andy's back. It seemed to me that they panicked when they found out that the girls knew about Leland's involvement and, in their panicked state, decided to let Andy come back. 

I got the impression that Father Ignatius was gonna be their new handler (for lack of a better word). On the other hand, it could just be wishful thinking 'cause I love Wallace Shawn. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
49 minutes ago, christie said:

I got the impression that Father Ignatius was gonna be their new handler (for lack of a better word). On the other hand, it could just be wishful thinking 'cause I love Wallace Shawn. 

Maybe it’s time to bring back Father Amara. We haven’t seen him in a while. Love his communication with David in S1, he understands him. He asked David to draw his visions for easier interpretation.

150A6185-0443-491C-807F-EAF6B0F62730.jpeg

• Love 4
8 hours ago, christie said:

My impression was that they spared him because the girls said that the Edward call was fake and that Leland was behind it. We saw Leland and Edward carrying Andy (was he dead or drugged? We don't know). Sheryl looked really panicked when the girls said that the call was fake. We see her making a call and then Andy's back. It seemed to me that they panicked when they found out that the girls knew about Leland's involvement and, in their panicked state, decided to let Andy come back. 

My impression was that he wasn't dead yet. I am trusting that God worked through Grace, David and the girls to save Andy and by extension reach out to Kristin; she needs to start believing.

14 hours ago, Niuxita said:

Damn, KH is just fantastic at the heart-wrenching stuff. From Kristen's near-hysterical confession to David in last season's finale to her reaction to being told the fake news about Andy (from the moment she saw someone other than him appear in the video call) to her tearful joy at seeing him again, she never fails to rip my heart into shreads. I just love watching her.

I never got the impression throughout the series that the show was going for a "Chosen One"-type storyline with Kristen (with Lexis, yeah, maybe). He is probably after it because it is a sibling to Lexis, the previous Chosen One, whom he has realized things aren't going to work out with. Also because it comes from RSM, which has spawned its fair share of demonic children with no input from Kristen.

I thought exactly the same thing when she said that all her friends wanted to talk about was boys or something like that. 👀 I definitely would prefer this turn of events to a "Lynn suddenly feels a calling to the church" because the show could use more lesbian content (and no, Kristen and her nun girlfriend Fenna don't count 😜).

Even though I'm a card-carrying member of the "going to hell for still shipping Kristen and David" club, I thought the Bouchard marriage reunion was lovely. I 100% believed Kristen when she said she loved him. It's nice that the show is not going for an awkward love triangle thing with them and is letting them be genuinely in love and happy. Though I feel bad about what is ahead for Andy before someone catches on/he suddenly remembers what happened to him.

I was disappointed by Sister Andrea, a character we are supposed to side with, toeing the party line, as it were, with the whole "That is not how young ladies behave!" wrt Kristen's daughters. Fuck that! Young ladies should be allowed to be loud and obnoxious, the way boys are allowed to be and the way the show allows the 4Ls to be. Anything else is just, as Kristen would say, patriarchal bullshit. That said, the best part of that scene was Laura deadpanning "Mirabella" when Kristen was introducing them to Sister Andrea by name, and her sisters' wordless "WTF" reactions. I love those girls.

Her love for Andy is what let the exorcism she witnessed work on her. She felt such guilt for committing adultery and a desire to commit herself to Andy that she was exorcised.

I didn't realize until this finale that's it is Kristin. 

S 1 begins with Leland engineering her professional downfall however a door opens through David and the Church. Leland corrupts her by forcing her to kill to protect the girls.

S 2 leland goes after her support system. She is exorcised.

S 3 leland has cheryl. He tries to take Andy without realizing his innate power; cheryl initiated that. He comments that if Lexi is not the one she is the ambassador. Grace's vision saves Andy. Grace says she has been blind; I think that this was in regards to what she saw when she was at Kirsten's. She saw that Lexi is fine; that's because Lexi is not the real target.

3. It was in Leland's eyes. The baby is personal. It's not about the baby. It's about Kristin. We know his main goal is finding someone for the royal sigil.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Castiels Cat said:

My impression was that he wasn't dead yet. I am trusting that God worked through Grace, David and the girls to save Andy and by extension reach out to Kristin; she needs to start believing.

Yeah, I don't think Andy was dead yet either.

• Love 4

I thought exactly the same thing when she said that all her friends wanted to talk about was boys or something like that. 👀 I definitely would prefer this turn of events to a "Lynn suddenly feels a calling to the church" because the show could use more lesbian content (and no, Kristen and her nun girlfriend Fenna don't count 😜).

Why do you feel the show "needs" it?  And what does Lynn musing about wanting to be a nun have anything at all to do with being a lesbian?

On 8/17/2022 at 5:41 AM, Niuxita said:

I was disappointed by Sister Andrea, a character we are supposed to side with, toeing the party line, as it were, with the whole "That is not how young ladies behave!" wrt Kristen's daughters. Fuck that! Young ladies should be allowed to be loud and obnoxious, the way boys are allowed to be and the way the show allows the 4Ls to be. Anything else is just, as Kristen would say, patriarchal bullshit.

Perhaps. Being loud and obnoxious isn't something for someone to really aspire to be, but that's just me.

Edited by StarBrand
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
On 8/18/2022 at 7:52 AM, StarBrand said:

Why do you feel the show "needs" it?  And what does Lynn musing about wanting to be a nun have anything at all to do with being a lesbian?

I was being facetious. I just think it would be nice for the show to have a lesbian character because I am one and like to see myself represented. Evil is actually one of the few shows I watch with no lesbian characters, which is fine, not everything I watch has to have them, but sometimes it does feel like something is missing, for me, and it would be cool if it did. That's all. As for what does that have to do with wanting be a nun, you would have to ask the poster I quoted, who was the first one to make the connection. What I reacted to was Lynn's comment about her friends only wanting to talk about boys, implying it wasn't something she wanted to do.

On 8/18/2022 at 7:52 AM, StarBrand said:

Perhaps. Being loud and obnoxious isn't something for someone to really aspire to be, but that's just me.

I didn't say it was something the 4Ls should aspire to be. I said that, if that's how girls like them are at that age, then they should be allowed to be like that instead of being constantly criticized for it, the way some fans of the show and Sister Andrea do/did. Like I said, boys are 10 times worse at that age and it's always just "Boys will be boys."

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5

Wow. There was a lot happening and I still have to take it all in. Season 4 cannot happen soon enough.

One thing that bugged me was when Sister Andrea was reading the message in the extension to Kristin's house, they all thought the message was for our favorite demon-hunting nun. Now, Sister Andrea may not know about Kristin's husband or that his name is Andy. But it never occurred to David or Ben to say, wait Andrea/Andrew/weird shit happening.

It was also odd that Ben didn't immediately ask Laura more about Leland and his creepy pedo pig being behind Andy's disappearance and video feed. Former season Ben would have been all over it, and clued David in. This season, it's not that Ben isn't as sharp, his character feels sidelined into his own stuff.

I'm actually intrigued by Lynn -- not necessarily wanting to be a nun. She could work as an assessor -- but to let Sister Andrea maybe play Giles to her Buffy. With Andy seeing demons in the house, I could actually see a really interesting team up between those three characters.

If Andy can see demons, I wonder if he'll see Lexis' tail? 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Niuxita said:

What I reacted to was Lynn's comment about her friends only wanting to talk about boys, implying it wasn't something she wanted to do.

I took it to mean that she wasn't interested in romantic crap, probably  since being dumped by her boyfriend (although I'm not sure if we had any confirmation on that).  Perhaps it was she wanted to be involved in "serious" stuff, the kind of thing Mom's doing.

2 minutes ago, ZeeEnnui said:

If Andy can see demons, I wonder if he'll see Lexis' tail? 

Good question...that would probably why Lexis herself sees it, but nobody else seems to notice.

Edited by StarBrand
proper spacing is awesome
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, StarBrand said:

I took it to mean that she wasn't interested in romantic crap, probably  since being dumped by her boyfriend (although I'm not sure if we had any confirmation on that).  Perhaps it was she wanted to be involved in "serious" stuff, the kind of thing Mom's doing.

I think that's what the other poster was referring to, that they knew ex-nuns who originally thought not wanting to talk about boys meant they were destined to be nuns, when really they were just uninterested in men that way.

It is frustrating how little attention Kristin sometimes seems to pay to important things. The girls talking about Leland behind Andy's calls and then the obvious connection between Andy's collapse and his staring at the picture that Grace specifically said was from Andy's pov and he needed help. I hope she at least stops letting Sheryl have free access to everybody. Like maybe she might wonder who went to the trouble erasing the prophet's picture.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 8/19/2022 at 11:09 AM, Niuxita said:

I said that, if that's how girls like them are at that age, then they should be allowed to be like that instead of being constantly criticized for it,

They should be criticized for it. Anyone who behaves like them should be criticized. They are fucking annoying and their shrill yelling is obnoxious. Kristin lets them run wild, I loved them finally getting the smackdown for their behavior from someone

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Agree! For the record, if the kids were a pack of boys acting like that I’d absolutely be on the “that’s not how young gentlemen behave” train. It’s not their chromosomes that feed my irritation, it’s their appalling manners.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

I think the girls are delightful. (Caveat, they're delightful on my television. If I knew the 4 Ls in real life, their particular brand of chaos probably would be a little much for me.) I think they bring a lot of levity, life, and energy to the show. I don't know if this is still the case, but in the beginning, the Kings used to let the young actresses just say whatever came to their minds when they were all talking over each other, and some of the stuff they came out with was hilarious.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Leyland and Edward singing "Kids" (from Bye, Bye Birdie) was hilarious, especially the line, "Why can't they be like we were, perfect in every way?"

I thought that Andy was dead by the time the video call happened, but maybe they wanted to try to sell the story first. Amazing that they didn't even think ahead to plant a fake avalanche story somewhere, since Kristin is a climber herself and would of course want to know the details. Goes to show that Evil doesn't = smart. 

I wondered about that first scene where Leyland gets into bed and puts both his hands under the covers, and then later with the missing egg being delivered to DF offices, I thought maybe he had been "preparing" to fertilize it himself, but the woman was very pregnant, so the timeline doesn't really work. Maybe that's just how he gets to sleep after being wounded?

It seems as though the previous "demon baby" was killed along with the mother, hence the autopsy info. I wonder what happened to the dad. Seems as though he could use a great "forensic psychologist" at his trial and neither Kristin nor Leyland were called. 

I thought that Sister Andrea saw the demon mosquito and it was the "Kristin" demon. Great call on the netting! 

That scene with Boggs and Andy - what the heck was that??? Was that demon baby real? Was it a hallucination? What has Boggs gotten himself into? 

• Love 3

My opinions on this season have been up and down. I agree with everyone saying there's a lot of times just talking to each other would help a lot. I don't think Sheryl loves her family, I think she's been evil for a long time. I also wonder why the other girls don't get jealous of Lexis spending so much alone time with Grandma. Dr. Boggs is a huge disappointment,  I was sure he'd be so skeptical about Leland's suggestion that he wouldn't do it. One thing I've never understood, from the first season, is why an atheist and a Buddhist send their kids to catholic school? It seems weird. I love Sister Andrea, but then, I just love Andrea Martin, from way back in the SCTV days. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, SherriAnt said:

One thing I've never understood, from the first season, is why an atheist and a Buddhist send their kids to catholic school?

I have no kids, but if I did I’d send them where they’d get the best education I could afford, regardless of religion.

Kristin was raised Catholic and maybe she had a good experience with Catholic school? I seriously doubt it’s 8 hours a day of catechism.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I seriously doubt it’s 8 hours a day of catechism.

No, but they do have prayers throughout the day, they have mass on or around holidays, and they have religion class, which is pretty much the same as catechism. I was okay with it, I'm an agnostic, and hubs is a lapsed catholic, but if you have strong beliefs in a different deity, I would think it would be difficult. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, SherriAnt said:

No, but they do have prayers throughout the day, they have mass on or around holidays, and they have religion class, which is pretty much the same as catechism. I was okay with it, I'm an agnostic, and hubs is a lapsed catholic, but if you have strong beliefs in a different deity, I would think it would be difficult. 

I think that's definitely a thing that happens, that people choose Catholic schools for the education despite not being Catholic. Each parent probably deals with the religion their own way, and I'm sure some have been dismayed at their kids actually converting. But probably most kids just sit through the prayers etc. and then go home. 

Though these days a parent would need to be really careful about if any religious school was teaching social issues and religion in a way the parent doesn't like. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Though these days a parent would need to be really careful about if any religious school was teaching social issues and religion in a way the parent doesn't 

Yes, absolutely. I did feel lucky that I only had to work with one antiquated belief system, and not all of them! 

6 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

But probably most kids just sit through the prayers etc. and then go home

Actually, according to hubs & son, it was a race to the exit before the doors were shut! 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 9/23/2022 at 7:36 AM, sharifa70 said:

I have no kids, but if I did I’d send them where they’d get the best education I could afford, regardless of religion.

Kristin was raised Catholic and maybe she had a good experience with Catholic school? I seriously doubt it’s 8 hours a day of catechism.

I think that for some years parochial schools weren't that popular. A lot of Catholics sent their kids to local public schools for a variety of reasons, including convenience and money. Also, the stories of strict requirements and corporal punishment from years ago probably contributed, so the schools didn't get enough funding to stay in business.

Once there started to be issues with public schools with stories of gangs, harassment, falling test scores and so on, some parents revisited the idea of going to Catholic schools with their focus on traditional subjects and reputation for high standards of education. I think that some of the students can opt out of the religious part of the curriculum. 

• Useful 2

I was kind of disappointed in this episode when I thought it was the series finale and nothing was going to be tied up, but I'll give it a chance next season. As usual, I enjoy all of your comments and don't have a lot to add, but here are some random thoughts:

Sheryl has gone completely to the dark side and does not care about her daughter and granddaughters except for how they can help her get what she wants (power, wealth, youth?). She is good at faking affection for them, but Kristen should be more suspicious of her. Maybe Kristen's need for Sheryl's help with the kids as well as her emotional need for a mother's love (especially since her father does not seem to be in her life) allows her to ignore the suspicion.

Regarding the potential demon baby that the pregnant woman at the office will give birth to, Sheryl's apparent joy at this impending birth suggests that she sees the baby as her "real" grandchild (from Kristen's egg, and therefore Sheryl's DNA, with no input from Andy)--one that she can love, control, and use without her daughter or son-in-law interfering. However, given Sheryl's apparent continuing disgust at the Manager's physical form, I don't know how comfortable she will be with a grandchild that looks and maybe smells like a demon (if it does). Not to mention that she still doesn't seem to like Leland much, so how is she going to feel about his controlling role in the baby's life?

The scene at the end with Andy horrified by the demon manger seemed so unreal that I suspect it was a nightmare. There have been many terrifying nightmares and night terrors throughout this show, so why couldn't this be another one? 

When this show started, and maybe even into season 2, it seemed to be an open question of whether demons and angels were real, with the writing tending to suggest that they were not literally real but rather metaphorically real (even though some devout Catholics in the show believed they were literally real). And there were at least some possible rational explanations for unexplained phenomena. But this season and especially this episode have apparently insisted that they are literally real, and I don't particularly like that as the basis of the show because it is too easy--just perform an exorcism or bash them with a shovel, and the immediate problem is solved. I prefer some uncertainty in the causes of and solutions to problems.   

I wish Dr. Boggs could be written out for the next season. His idiocy annoys me no end, and he's really not important to the overall story. And I've had more than enough of Leland, but unfortunately he is central to the story.

Finally, and on a lighter note, now that we've found out that Andy was only "mostly dead," my husband was disappointed that the writers didn't find a reason for Father Ignatius to say "Inconceivable!" in this episode. Maybe next season?   

• Like 3
  • Useful 1