Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Clink

• Start Topic

I have to say, Julia in her youth was an apprentice Smurf.  I can't imagine my sister holding my hand and rubbing my knee out there by the pool. 

Either Pope has a long game going that nobody can see, or he really does want to die.  However, I think he planned that attack, knowing the solitary would put him in a  reasonably safe spot for the time being.

$100 to fix a lock is a scam, Deran?  Go get your own deadbolt system from Home Depot ($40-$50) and repair it yourself.  It's like this; you buy cheap, you buy twice.  I do wonder who did steal the board.

That fight between Craig and his sponsor was brutal.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Either Pope has a long game going that nobody can see, or he really does want to die.  However, I think he planned that attack, knowing the solitary would put him in a  reasonably safe spot for the time being.

$100 to fix a lock is a scam, Deran?  Go get your own deadbolt system from Home Depot ($40-$50) and repair it yourself.  It's like this; you buy cheap, you buy twice.  I do wonder who did steal the board.

That fight between Craig and his sponsor was brutal.

I think Pope has a long game.  I saw the series finale coming up the PCH as soon as someone mentioned breaking him out.  Don't see how they can do that if he doesn't cooperate.

I think it was actually $800, but your point still stands. The Codys magically develop trades skills and are able to acquire the necessary specialized tools to pull any job, but Deran doesn't know how to change a lock.

I was amused that when Young Pope was in the pool with his little brothers climbing all over him he still looked miserable. Kid's so psycho he literally isn't capable of having fun.  He probably had a scowl on his face the entire time he was losing his virginity with Smurf's paid surrogate.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, Marley said:

A jail break? How fucking stupid. 

My thoughts exactly. Their jobs don't exactly go as planned!

And J has a HIT out on Pope when he wants...

I loved Craig's revelation that he was basically raised to be stupid and he only has death to look forward to. Very insightful and so sad!

Edited by Kristi800
  • Like 2

Hmm. There's been speculation all along that the Cody's final heist would be a jail break but Pope doesn't seem to want to get out. Meanwhile J is contemplating putting out a hit on Pope as a permanent solution. Which way will it go? Spoiler from the movie:

Spoiler

In the movie J does kill Pope. But then again the TV show has had very little to do with the movie.

The only thing the flashbacks have going for them is the kid playing young Pope, he's got Shawn Hatosy's scowl nailed perfectly. Otherwise they are still a big waste of time and I don't see how they can go anywhere meaningful with only three episodes left. They aren't telling us anything we don't already know and unless they do some major flash forwards or history revisions they are nowhere near the part when Julia eventually abandons her family or telling us who J's father really was.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I continue to fast forward through any flashbacks. I may be missing things but it doesn't add anything to the show. 

Plus, I can't stand Smurf's interactions with the boys that to me, has always felt downright incestuous. Has always given me the creeps from Episode 1. There's a double standard though, I don't think that would be tolerated if Smurf was the dad and the boys were girls. Just sayin'.

Back to the show -- I think Pope has a plan and a scheme, we all saw his slight smile/smirk when he was tossed into solitary. He may be off kilter, but he's smart. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Did the lawyer say Pope would get out while he was still young?  If he is 16 in the flashbacks in 1992, he is 46 now.  Getting out in 25 years isn’t exactly young.  Or maybe I misheard.  I like the flashbacks only for the fact that I was in HS in 1992 and I think they do a pretty good job of representing that time.  

26 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

- I think Pope has a plan and a scheme, we all saw his slight smile/smirk when he was tossed into solitary.

I read that as he was just so happy to be alone without all of the noise and without a roommate.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I don’t like J, never have. His dead pan never smiling or talking personality is boring and not cool, like he thinks it is. He doesn’t try at all to be friendly with his uncles, who were basically youths themselves who were entirely controlled by Smurf. He has met and dealt with Smurf so he now knows they were her victims, and he blames them for not coming to his and his mothers rescue, when it was Baz and Smurf who should have. Not Deran and Craig. Possibly Pope, but he had mental problems on top of being fully controlled by Smurf, which J is fully aware of now. 

There is nothing attractive or compelling about J and his complete personalityless  day in, day out self. 

Now he has put a hit out on Pope because Pope being in the can is possibly a detriment to their criminal activities in the past and now future. He is worse than Smurf with his cold dead and selfish heart. Craig and Deran being Popes brother would never ever think of the easy way out and killing off their brother for their own safety. They know Pope would never rat them out and is only doing now, whats he’s done to accept responsibility in the killing off of Catherine. He’s the type that would die before ratting out the other family members. J has never tried to become friends with his uncles, tho they aren’t easy to befriend, someones got to lighten up and that constant puss on his face and never talking doesn’t help one bit. He is completely humorless. You can be sure if Pope is killed off by a hire of J’s, news will eventually get out about it to Deran and Craig and that will be the end of sourpuss J. Rightfully so.

I am disappointed in Craig and his “I have nothing to lose or gain” attitude and not taking up Rens offer to go with her to Texas. He’s got that precious little Nicholas to live for, and be there for now. Ren is not very good at making good choices concerning the baby, and Craig knows this. He has A LOT to lose, and the baby has even more to lose without Craig being there in his life. I thought his love for his new son would be enough to make him see the best thing he could do is take his new little family far away from the insanity and try to live like normal people. Now is his big chance. How could he let Ren and Nick leave and not go with them.? Bad choice which will probably end up not so good for him, and then leave that poor baby fatherless. 

I wonder who stole the surfboard.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
52 minutes ago, SassyCat said:

when it was Baz and Smurf who should have.

Baz was so totally wrapped up in Smurf's BS as we see in the flashback. Even his squeeze for the party had a Leila George look. J doesn't see this part of course just that he didn't do anything to help Julia and him. 

Yeah, Pope would never rat out his brothers and is willingly in prison because he feels guilty as he should. And even though he knows he has mental issues, he wouldn't take a plea due to that. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Kristi800 said:

Baz was so totally wrapped up in Smurf's BS as we see in the flashback. Even his squeeze for the party had a Leila George look. J doesn't see this part of course just that he didn't do anything to help Julia and him. 

I agree IF it is found that Baz is not J’s father. If he is, then he is a complete POS like Smurf. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Kristi800 said:

Yeah, Pope would never rat out his brothers and is willingly in prison because he feels guilty as he should. And even though he knows he has mental issues, he wouldn't take a plea due to that. 

I do wonder that when Smurf saw her and the reward threesome plan got spiked she grabbed the opportunity to be a MILF to Baz's people as she provided a surrogate in a different way 

Plus, I can't stand Smurf's interactions with the boys that to me, has always felt downright incestuous. Has always given me the creeps from Episode 1. There's a double standard though, I don't think that would be tolerated if Smurf was the dad and the boys were girls.

I don't think it's "tolerated" in this situation either - everyone is pretty squicked out by it.

I wonder who stole the surfboard.

I don't think the "who" is significant, I think the point is that The Codys are now in a weakened position and rivals feel safe coming after them now, just like Tina told Deran. 

Yeah, Pope would never rat out his brothers and is willingly in prison because he feels guilty as he should.

I agree he would never willingly rat out his brothers, but J's point is that if they drug him up they might get him talking and giving things away.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Smurf is one sicko bitch.  It looked to me like she was jealous of Baz and his girlfriend, so Smurf wanted to make him jealous by going off to the bedroom with that kid. 

That's what it looked like to me. "Oh, you have this chick that even sort of looks like me; well, I can play that game" only, it's just Smurf playing that game. He only showed up with a different girl so that Smurf wouldn't be jealous of Julia.

Poor Julia, doesn't even know that she could be going to school and took the test and aced it. It also looks like Julia took money from Smurf and that's the ultimate sin.

9 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I agree he would never willingly rat out his brothers, but J's point is that if they drug him up they might get him talking and giving things away.

I think that would have happened if Pope had plead not guilty due to mental defect, which Pope would never do. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Aren’t they also worried that all the digging into the family affairs while investigating Pope’s crimes will undoubtedly end up implicating them, even if Pope doesn’t sing?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, WatcherUatl10 said:

Will we see the boys next week pretending to fix a leak in the prison plumbing, with nary a haircut or a shave between Deran and Craig?

I was thinking it will be a roadside breakout.  The cop is from Riverside County, where they found Catherine's body.  Logic dictates that Pope would be transferred to the proper jurisdiction for further processing, trial, etc., and Riverside is quite a drive from Oceanside.  Lots of opportunity to commit yet another absurdly impossible crime.

8 hours ago, SassyCat said:

Ren is not very good at making good choices concerning the baby, and Craig knows this.

Nor is Craig.  What skills does he have, except living outside the law?  I doubt that he could even plan heists without the other guys, and he would be lost in San Antonio, unless he hooks up with one or another of the cartels there.  Really bad choice.  He wouldn't last at all on any kind of legit job, and would have to live on anything that was split from the 'family fortune'.  Nick is going to foster care in the end.

• Like 5
19 hours ago, hookedontv said:

Plus, I can't stand Smurf's interactions with the boys that to me, has always felt downright incestuous. Has always given me the creeps from Episode 1. 

I think that's pretty much a given. I've read something to that effect in reviews about the show, and I recall one of the guys alluding to it when they were arguing amongst themselves about her.

14 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Smurf is one sicko bitch.  It looked to me like she was jealous of Baz and his girlfriend, so Smurf wanted to make him jealous by going off to the bedroom with that kid. 

She's manipulative, and she learned early on to use sex as a means of controlling men.  If I liked her I'd be sympathetic because that kind of thinking is indicative of a cycle of abuse that's being passed along, but the entire family is such dirtbags that it's hard to have much empathy for any of them. 

• Like 5
13 hours ago, WatcherUatl10 said:

But, yeah, the Codys are being told "No" more often now, and with Smurf and Pope "gone", they are more vulnerable, and we've seen them do a LOT of dumb stuff this season alone.

This all very meta.  AK took a major downturn after the deaths of the smartest characters Baz and Smurf.  Now that wildcard Pope is in jail limbo, we have to rely on J, Craig and Deran to move the plot.  This show is a shadow of what it once was.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

I don't think the plan to go after Amy was a good one. Even if they make it look like an accident, it would still be very suspicious. 

I think Deran and Craig are done with Oceanside and if they break Pope out, they'll all have to go on the run. I don't think J wants to do that, he's put a lot of work into getting them legit income with all of the properties. 

All the jobs they've done and they don't have $100k for Pope's defense?

Nor is Craig.  What skills does he have, except living outside the law?  I doubt that he could even plan heists without the other guys,

Craig planned the yacht heist a few seasons back. That went off OK except for when Marco cut that lady's finger off.

• Like 1
On 8/8/2022 at 6:13 AM, Lone Wolf said:

I think it was actually $800, but your point still stands. The Codys magically develop trades skills and are able to acquire the necessary specialized tools to pull any job, but Deran doesn't know how to change a lock.

I was amused that when Young Pope was in the pool with his little brothers climbing all over him he still looked miserable. Kid's so psycho he literally isn't capable of having fun.  He probably had a scowl on his face the entire time he was losing his virginity with Smurf's paid surrogate.

Pope is literally the only one who ever developed all of these skillsets. The other two are too lazy to do anything basic. Poor Pope has been out there like Mr. Mom and Mr. Fix It his whole life while Deran and Craig got to be spoiled brats with no actual trade skills. You know if Pope was actually out, he would've changed the locks himself. It's just another thing that shows how Deran and Craig can't function well without Pope. 

Pope gives off peak Big Brother vibes. Every second they've shown or referenced Deran and Craig in the flashbacks, it's the Twins taking care of them or something... Hell, I'd be miserable too. Smurf has them pulling jobs, not in school, he can't skateboard, and they're lowkey taking care of rugrats all the time. What fun?

Pope is literally the only one who ever developed all of these skillsets. The other two are too lazy to do anything basic. Poor Pope has been out there like Mr. Mom and Mr. Fix It his whole life while Deran and Craig got to be spoiled brats with no actual trade skills.

Not true, we've seen both Deran and Craig operate, assemble and utilize all manner of gizmos and machinery during their many heists. J too, for that matter. These abilities seemingly manifest themselves by magic or are hard-coded into Cody genetics, since one assumes J did not grow up learning how to do these things.

• Like 3

it's rather frightening (though not surprising) how quick and willing J is to jump to murder to solve "problems". He has no qualms about it being a child, relative, heck at this point I'm not convinced he didn't kill Julia!    I know he put a tentative hit on Pope but has he killed anyone that wasn't female?  That's a lot of therapy to unpack!  I'd say run Penny but she's stupid and I don't care.

Unfortunately,  as noted with the flashbacks moving at a snails pace we'll be lucky if we even make to Julia getting pregnant let alone seeing her and J move out.  I miss what this show could have been. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Sure, Smurf, Julia's gonna write a college essay about helping her family commit crimes. 🙄

Looks like J is thinking about putting a hit on Amy. But even if she's dead the police still have her deposition. How does J make that go away?

Was Deran actually talking about killing Amy on a jailhouse phone? What a moron. Everyone knows those phones are likely monitored.

Did Smurf have a side gig as a madam? How did she keep finding these very young-looking hookers to put on Pope and Baz? (reddit thinks those girls are indeed teenagers and Smurf is involved in child trafficking)

Craig ain't sh!t, trying to tempt an addict with free coke. Or did he do that because he suspects the guy is a cop?

Heh, Craig's biker buddy sure turned the tables on him. But is that actually a thing, amateur boxing as a substitute for rehab? Either way, Craig can't snort powder with his nose bashed in.

OMG Smurf getting with that kid to make Baz jealous. She is so awful. In her warped mind it's bad for Julia to sleep with Baz because he's "family" but okay for Smurf  to have sex practically in front of him.

Wait, what? Did J put a $25k hit on Pope???!!!???!!!

Look at Smurf using reverse psychology on Julia. Now that Julia's had a taste of being a bag man (with Pope as her enforcer at the ready) she's liking the thrill of it. Going to college seems less exciting and Smurf accomplished her goal of keeping both Pope and Julia in the gangster life.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 2
On 8/8/2022 at 11:14 AM, iMonrey said:

Hmm. There's been speculation all along that the Cody's final heist would be a jail break but Pope doesn't seem to want to get out. Meanwhile J is contemplating putting out a hit on Pope as a permanent solution. Which way will it go? Spoiler from the movie:

Hide contents

In the movie J does kill Pope. But then again the TV show has had very little to do with the movie.

The only thing the flashbacks have going for them is the kid playing young Pope, he's got Shawn Hatosy's scowl nailed perfectly. Otherwise they are still a big waste of time and I don't see how they can go anywhere meaningful with only three episodes left. They aren't telling us anything we don't already know and unless they do some major flash forwards or history revisions they are nowhere near the part when Julia eventually abandons her family or telling us who J's father really was.

As to your spoiler from the movie, yes, but, that Pope was a really bad man, and J was not as bad as this J.  Pope now, has always been victim byan absolute horror of a mother, and young Smurf almost makes me gag, she is so vile.