Type keyword(s) to search

Sprung - General Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Rooster,     Melvin,     Barb,     Jack,     Gloria,     Wiggles
FV9CHv7UUAE5pAv?format=jpg&name=large

Sprung is the 9 (or possibly 10) episode Comedy Series TV Series airing on Amazon Freevee  (formally IMDBtv) on August 19.  Two episodes will air each week on Fridays.

A new comedy from Greg Garcia (My Name is Earl and Raising Hope), filmed in Pittsburgh, Sprung follows a convicted criminal named Jack, who is determined to turn his life around after serving more than two decades (26 years) in prison.

sprung-garret-dillahunt-1014x570.jpg

When Jack is unexpectedly released from prison due to the pandemic with no place to live, Jack moves in with his former cellmate, Rooster, Rooster’s mom Barb, and Jack’s "sort of" girlfriend, Gloria.

sprung-garret-dillahunt-phillip-garcia-1

29_Edp.jpg?v=10

sprung-barrera-plimpton-dillahunt-1420x7

With the world on lockdown, the unlikely group, all former inmates, are determined to turn their lives around and band together to use their criminal skills for good, targeting those people selfishly taking advantage of others during the pandemic.

Who could be a better first target than Melvin, an opportunist conman manipulating access to resources during the pandemic. It doesn't hurt that Melvin is also dating Wiggles, Rooster’s ex-girlfriend.

sprung-clare-gillies-james-earl-1014x570
All Wiggles wants is a baby and a man who can stay out of prison long enough to be a decent father.

Garret Dillahunt as Jack

Zach Strum as 24-Year-Old Jack

Martha Plimpton as Barb

Shakira Barrera as Gloria, a college-educated scam artist who discovered her love for conning people at a young age.

Phillip Garcia as Rooster

James Earl as Melvin

Clare Gillies as Wiggles

Chris Bauer as Stan O’Malley

Mark Christopher Lawrence as Hank Duklon

Mike Rob as Jean Michel Duklon

Fred Grandy as Horace Tackleberry

Kate Walsh as Congresswoman Paula Tackleberry, who is targeted by the group for using insider trading secrets to sell millions of dollars in stocks while assuring the public that the COVID-19 pandemic is nothing to worry about. 

Camden Garcia as Collin, a Congressional Aide who unwittingly gets himself and his boyfriend involved in his boss’s trading scheme surrounding the approval of COVID-19 vaccines. 

Andre Jamal Kinney as Brett, who has a passion for dance. Brett gets wrapped up in the Congresswoman Tackleberry’s schemes  while trying to be supportive of his boyfriend, Collin's career.

Steven Ogg as Spike

Susan Ruttan as Lorraine

David Wells as Herb

S01.E01:  Chapter One
61kHO-lQ-yL._SX536_.jpg
After being unexpectedly released from prison due to the pandemic, a group of former inmates shelter-in-place together and decide to pull a job.

Original Airdate: August 19, 2022       Amazon Freevee / Prime Video 

S01.E02: Chapter Two

The crew gets sidetracked from planning their next job when an unexpected turn of events causes them to put one of their own to the test.

Original Airdate: August 19, 2022       Amazon Freevee / Prime Video 

This debuted without much fanfare but I really enjoyed the first two episodes.  There are a lot of pandemic jokes that should feel too soon but since we've lived 100 years in just two, somehow they did not. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 8/20/2022 at 1:30 PM, Irlandesa said:

This debuted without much fanfare but I really enjoyed the first two episodes.  There are a lot of pandemic jokes that should feel too soon but since we've lived 100 years in just two, somehow they did not. 

I’m pretty sure someone in the first episode (or second?) was wearing a kid’s cardboard birthday hat as a mask. Ahh, the old days …

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 8/21/2022 at 3:27 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I’m pretty sure someone in the first episode (or second?) was wearing a kid’s cardboard birthday hat as a mask. Ahh, the old days …

The guy selling the toilet paper his Mom stole from the hotel! Lol

I saw the preview earlier and couldn’t wait to have enough time to sit down and enjoy.

First episode was sweet. I hope this one gets some good traction. I’ll try anything Garcia writes.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Love 2

Sprung         August 26, 2022       Amazon Freevee / Prime Video

Episodes 3-4      Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E03: Chapter Three

71sVRTyCBRL._SX536_.jpg
In an attempt to win Wiggles back, Rooster gets into trouble with a local drug dealer.

S01.E04: Chapter Four

71EneF0ruTL._SX536_.jpg
Melvin learns that the crew robbed him and has figured out a way for them to pay him back; Barb attempts to get closer to Gloria.

This show falls right into the Greg Garcia canon with its flawed, yet somehow likable characters and silly situations. And they've gotten the feel of the early pandemic so right. I know it was 2 years ago, but it fells like 20 so it doesn't bother me.

I also love things like when the guard said some clothes had moth holes and then Jack's suit is ripped up. They don't even say anything about it - it's just a random visual gag that these shows do so well. Looking forward to watching it.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I love that Dillahunt's character in this show has the heart of his character from Raising Hope but with more brains.  It really does feel like the perfect pandemic show.  It's in the background.  It explains why characters are making certain choices.  But the actual plot could be done without it.

But the pandemic stuff makes it relatable to me.  I laughed so much when Kate Walsh's character finally lost it on her husband and told him he'd go to their vacation home so they can bring back the housekeeper to clean the house.  I am a terrible cleaner.  I had a cleaning service every other week before the pandemic that we didn't bring in during the pandemic.  I definitely thought if there was a way to bring them in.

• Love 1

Susan Ruttan! Roz from L.A. Law  plays Jack’s mom!

i’m going to have to pay closer attention: it looks like the congresswoman’s husband is played by Fred Grandy (Gopher from The Love Boat.)

• Love 1

They're really making prison seem like grad school for criminals. Jack learned nearly everything in there! (I find it really hard to think of him as Jack and not "Burt" though.)

Melvin was surprisingly likeable and I was almost bummed that Jack & em figured out how to get out from under his heel. Maybe once he gets out of jail he can just be a regular part of the crew.

I'm surprised the congresswoman job is moving this fast. I figured it wouldn't be till the last or second last episode of the season, which I think is ten episodes.

On 8/28/2022 at 2:37 PM, arc said:

I'm surprised the congresswoman job is moving this fast. I figured it wouldn't be till the last or second last episode of the season, which I think is ten episodes.

My guess is that the break-in will go wrong: the congresswoman and her hubby will return home early, and the gang will unwillingly have to hold them hostage, things will escalate, etc. That'll be good for a few episodes, and make fuller use of Kate Walsh, who is still kind of a biggish name.

• Useful 1

I just want to go back to episode 3, because that was a very good fight sequence for a non-action series, and made immeasurably more complex for it actually being two fight sequences (the one young Jack merely watched and the one old Jack is in) that needed to be edited together. Also, Garrett Dillahunt is really phenomenal. He's been great at every physical comedy bit in this show and the fight scene was solid too.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Sprung         September 2, 2022       Amazon Freevee / Prime Video

Episodes 5-6      Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E05: Chapter Five

81-TNbXEZwL._SX536_.jpg

In the days leading up to the robbery of the Congresswoman, the crew faces various obstacles that could derail their plan. 

S01.E06: Chapter Six

81EcrMwvUdL._SX536_.jpg

After their art robbery goes wrong, the crew disagrees over what to do next.

On 8/27/2022 at 12:43 PM, Pj3422 said:

i’m going to have to pay closer attention: it looks like the congresswoman’s husband is played by Fred Grandy (Gopher from The Love Boat.)

I didn't think you were right but I paid attention to the guest star credits in the sixth episode and you're right.  That's who it is.

Two more solid episodes that have at least one laugh out loud moment and one heart warming moment per episode. I will have to remember Jack telling Gloria that he had a hard time convincing Barbara and Rooster that cotton candy wasn't made out of real cotton which ended with all three of them taste testing dryer lint for the next Primetimer awards.  Just so unexpected and funny.

Speaking of credit sequences, this show is bringing back the art of the credit sequence.  I think I'll rewatch the end to the 6th ep. 

• Love 2

This has been a fun pair of episodes. Ep 5 was a reverse heist where a cavalcade of errors and mistakes piled up to derail the heist in a bunch of different ways, and then in ep 6, Jack and Gloria break into Barb's place. I also appreciate how the title sequence has a little foreshadowing for something in the episode. I first noticed an ep or two ago with the rabbit's head costume, and then this time with the traffic tickets and the inside view of the freezer.

I also liked Sylvia thoroughly ransacking Barb's place for the shoe, then just as thoroughly cleaning up. The best crimes really are the ones where the victim doesn't know anything happened. 

... though it doesn't look like that's gonna be the case now that a simple single art heist is now a bank (account?) robbery. By the way, it never sat right with me that the gang's initial plan was to steal just one painting, not when the congresswoman presumably had jewelry and other valuable goods around the mansion.

I can't deal with Wiggles. I don't care that there is a character that is a stripper/sex worker(?), but I am bothered that the stripper was the character chosen to be highly sexualized (obviously) while being portrayed as childlike and unintelligent.

In an earlier episode, she had her hair up in two little buns with with ribbons or barrettes, and her cropped, tight shirt said something like "Yes, Daddy". She looked 12. Her overly infantile vocal affectation makes her sound literally like a child. Her name sounds like it belongs to a clown.

I get this is a dark comedy, but the way she's portrayed is just creepy. I'm seriously uncomfortable when she's onscreen.

• Useful 1

Sprung         September 9, 2022       Amazon Freevee / Prime Video

Episodes 7-8      Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E07: Chapter Seven
71vTsL+XvUL._SX536_.jpg
Jack and Gloria make Barb face the truth about her online boyfriend.

Original Airdate: September 9, 2022       Amazon Freevee / Prime Video 

S01.E08: Chapter Eight
713VVQ3BvcL._SX536_.jpg
Jack is forced to confront his past, which reveals a side of him the crew hasn't seen before.

Original Airdate: September 9, 2022       Amazon Freevee / Prime Video 

I kinda figured "Jean-Michel"'s dad was the real guy almost as soon as we saw him. Still a sweeter way for that plot to go than him being a completely unrepentant scammer.

Not sure I'm fully on board with the Jack/Gloria ship. He's 44 in the show, but Dillahunt is 57. He looks great for 57 but he doesn't really look 44. And if there's a 12 year age difference, then Gloria is the same age as Shakira Berrera, and she does look 32.

Ending ep 7 with replacing the fireplace photos was really sweet. The dustbuster thing (it's the urn with Barb's husband's ashes) went unexplained until ep 8 though.

I do like Wiggles and Rooster together. They're sweet and sweetly dumb. I thought it was sweet that Barb got over her selfish reason to keep them apart.

It made sense that Melvin would also get an accelerated release because of covid, and I really do like the character. But I'm a little sad we didn't get any My Name Is Earl cameos for a trip to Camden County.

• Love 2
On 9/1/2022 at 4:09 AM, arc said:

I just want to go back to episode 3, because that was a very good fight sequence for a non-action series, and made immeasurably more complex for it actually being two fight sequences (the one young Jack merely watched and the one old Jack is in) that needed to be edited together.

This was so well done!  Set to "Goody Two Shoes" no less.  The editing was great, along with the other split screens when Jack puts what he learned in prison to use.

I am through ep 6 and keep finding favorite moments:

Jack bounding on the trampoline; the neighbor ransacking Barb's house, finding her shoe and then making everything neat again; Rooster singing to Wiggles and singing well; everyone at the retirement home in the stripper bubbles; the guys in the truck lip synching to "Cheeseburger in Paradise" (the guy with the lighter hair is Camden Garcia).

I'm an "Earl" fan, which this show reminds me a lot of and am thoroughly enjoying this.  I've never seen "Raising Hope" and will definitely watch that now.

• Love 3

I hope there's a season 2.  It's amazing.

So similar--in a good way--to My Name is Earl and Raising Hope.

I'm glad that Barb warmed up to Stan, and they're both happy.

Everybody got to have a good life.

The last episode was intense in getting the plan to work out.  

At first, I didn't like Melvin, who was beating the crap out of Rooster.  Too dark.  In E8, the character became funnier.  If there's a season 2, he'd be a welcome addition.  

Same with Wiggles.  But the focus should be on the main four.

I love the editing, and the tags at the end. 

Well done.  

• Love 4

S01.E09: Chapter Nine
(Season Finale) 
71ZHMFz17NL._SX536_.jpg

The crew is caught unprepared when the timeline of the heist gets moved up. Jack comes face-to-face with the Congresswoman as the crew scrambles to pull off the crime of their lives.
Original Airdate: September 16, 2022       Amazon Freevee / Prime Video 

Oh. My. Gosh. Not to get too sappy or personal, but the Kinks 'Better Days' is a Very Special Song for me. To hear that kick in for the happy ending montage... just wow.

I'm so happy I caught one commercial, and vaguely recognized the recurring frenemy from 'Burn Notice'. Not sure how or if it comes back but that was great.

• Love 2

There's no news of a second season yet and this is what Greg Garcia said in response to someone asking about it.  (Basically, he doesn't know.  He shot it like a limited series but we'll see.)

https://twitter.com/whoisgreggarcia/status/1570873994840244224

And I appreciate that it was shot as a limited series because I can unabashedly recommend it without worrying that people will be left hanging.  But I'd love a second season. 

Loved it.  Just what I expected - LOL funny with heartwarming moments.  Glad they pulled off the job!  It felt realistic that Jack and Gloria wouldn't end up together - he wanted to take care of his parents and that's not her dream.  Rooster and Wiggles open a Dunkin'!

I liked that Barb gave Wiggles a chance after watching Stan and his mother, and that Stan ended up being a hot lover for Barb, hee.  Jack's parents were hilarious - when his father is wandering around in nothing but his underwear, I couldn't stop laughing.

It's great as a standalone but I can see lots of options for a second season - something happens with Jack's new identity and he needs to contact Gloria; Gloria convinces him to do a job with her; someone scams Rooster and Wiggles and they need help - etc.

On 9/16/2022 at 1:28 AM, spaulding said:

If there's a season 2, he'd be a welcome addition.  

Agree about Melvin.  It was nice of him to drive Jack across the country and then point out that the condo Jack had pix of had stairs.  Oh and it was hilarious when Jack asked what to do with the floss in the truck and Melvin tells him "oh I just put it back" LOL!

• Love 1

I just discovered this series and have binged to episode 7.  I like it a lot.  I was shocked to learn that Barbara is played by Martha Plimpton. Unbelievable….she is unrecognizable in that role.  I recall Martha from her long career, starting when she was very young, back in the 80s. I’ve been a fan of hers since way back.  Her dad is actor David Carradine.

I do find characters Barbara and Rooster a little annoying at times, but mostly it’s very funny.  

53 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just discovered this series and have binged to episode 7.  I like it a lot.  I was shocked to learn that Barbara is played by Martha Plimpton. Unbelievable….she is unrecognizable in that role.  I recall Martha from her long career, starting when she was very young, back in the 80s. I’ve been a fan of hers since way back.  Her dad is actor David Carradine.

Just curious if you watched Raising Hope.  I had no trouble recognizing Martha here, but Hope-era Martha is much closer to Sprung-era Martha than to say, Goonies-era Martha.

And I'll put in a plug for Raising Hope for any Sprung fans who aren't familiar with it.  It looks like it's also available on Freevee.  It ran on network tv so there are a lot more episodes to watch.

• Love 5

I've started Raising Hope (it's on Hulu also; also on Hulu is My Name is Earl).  I like it but didn't really start to love it until about halfway through the S1.  It didn't start out as warm-hearted (if you can believe it) as Sprung, but OMG Plimpton and Dillahunt are so, so funny.  I recommend as well, even though I'm not done with S1 yet.   Like the other shows, the side/supporting characters are given lots of personality.   It's nice to see Greg Binkley (Kenny from Earl) again, and Jason Lee makes an appearance as well.

Were there any Earl alumni on Sprung?  I remember a Camden County shout out but don't think we saw anyone.  I'll have to re-watch, not that I need a reason to.

As someone who loved My Name is Earl (from back in my TWOP days), and Raising Hope and also as someone who is like 90% certain these shows (and Sprung) are based around my neck of the woods, I love all of Greg's work.  He really gets this area and we have even heard some shout outs to familiar places.  I was a little uncertain about Sprung at first ,Wiggles voice grates big time, and as someone mentioned up thread, her child like personality and line of work rubs me the wrong way.

Since not a lot of people have watched Raising Hope, the line in the one episode (where he kidnaps Spike), he mentions he could have worked for his Uncles Lawn care company made my husband and I laugh for awhile. 

Also for those of you who are starting Raising Hope, in one of the earlier episodes they talk about bucking the car seat into the car....yeah that totally happened with my mom when I was about 6 months old....she still loves to tell that story and her words "I didn't know you had to buckle it ot the car....."

As a lover of Raising Hope and My Name is Earl, I was excited for this with Burt and Virginia Chance being in it, but wow. The perfect mix of sweet and stupid. I absolutely loved this. So many shows are downers these days, but I love that everyone got what they wanted. I guess the bittersweet was Gloria and Jack not ending up together, but even that feels right. I just loved all of the characters and, as a 90's kid, the whole crew dancing to Groove Is In The Heart was perfection for me.

I can live with this as a limited series because it ended so great, but I would love a season two just to keep hanging with all these wonderful characters.

All of the credit montages at the end of each episode have been awesome, but I loved the final episode showing the show's greatest hits. Wiggles trapped under the weighted blanket was maybe my favorite.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I just finished watching all the eps. I really liked it. I had read a short review of the show before it debuted, but although I'm a big My Name Is Earl fan (and also a fan of Raising Hope), the idea of a show based in the early days of the pandemic didn't appeal to me. 

I'm glad I decided to watch anyway. The first instance of sweetness really surprised me (though it shouldn't have), and I was sold. 

I noticed one (or two?) businesses named Chubby's (like in MNIE). There was also a classic MNIE shot when Jack is in prison getting advice from a fellow con, who says something disgusting (about saving pics of kids), and Jack whacks him across the face with a book, causing the guy to wheel around. I don't know how many times they did that in MNIE, but it always cracked me up.

Garret Dillahunt is so good in this. (He's good in everything.) 

So many great scenes and jokes and surprises and characters.

One thing that pisses me off is one time Freevee skipped an ep and played the finale, and then I went back and found the ep that was skipped. Grrrr. Right now I'm replaying the finale, and now I understand what Melvin is doing on the top of his truck bed cover: He's patching the holes Jack drilled with Silly Putty!

• Love 1

Just finished watching.  Never watched Raising Hope but did watch Earl, which I liked well enough but barely remember now.

I thought the pilot was terrific, probably a lot better than Earl.  Second half didn’t have as much momentum, the complicated caper but still enjoyed it.

It did feel self-contained.  I think it would be a challenge to bring the gang back together again.  Like Jack said he’s not a criminal and he no longer is desperate to restart his life after prison.  Only so much more Robin Hood giving they could do to justify more theft.  Gloria is the only one committed to that life.