Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: ...had a valentine

• Start Topic

I think that’s the point- to show that they shouldn’t be together. Maybe it’s my Ben bias since I prefer them together. 
I’m still enjoying this show. It was nice having a Mohan flashback. I missed those.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 9
  • Love 2

Who would have thought that, of the three couples, it would be Trent/Eleanor that made it? Actually, that makes total sense, I never thought that Ben/Aneesa or Paxton/Devi would last. Ben and Aneesa don't have much in common, and Devi built up her possible romance with Paxton so much that any real relationship would never live up to her expectations. Plus, her insecurity about dating Paxton was an issue even back when they weren't even dating. Meanwhile, turns out Trent has enough of a devious side to keep Eleanor interested, she was absolutely glowing when she realized that Trent was using his uncle to keep her around a bit longer.

Nice to see some Mohan flashbacks, him showing up to tell Devi that she's his Valentine is such sweet dad energy. Count me in as someone else who needs a Mohan bobblehead. Come on Netflix, give the people what they want!

My high school did a personality match up on Valentine Day too, it was the most hilariously awkward day of the year. A lot of people avoiding eye contact in the cafeteria. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

My high school did a personality match up on Valentine Day too, it was the most hilariously awkward day of the year. A lot of people avoiding eye contact in the cafeteria.

Really?!? 
That sounds like a bunch of lawsuits waiting to happen, or at least just a very bad idea.
But I guess it wouldn’t have made it into this show’s script if something similar hadn’t happened somewhere. 
So I’m assuming these school-wide Valentines matches are done outside of the knowledge or approval of the high school faculty and staff. Right?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

That sounds like a bunch of lawsuits waiting to happen, or at least just a very bad idea.

I think they did one at my school too.  It was voluntary.  You didn't have to do it.  It was like a table in the cafeteria.  And the questions weren't deep questions but more like "would you rather read a book or watch a movie" kind of questions.

• Useful 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

So I’m assuming these school-wide Valentines matches are done outside of the knowledge or approval of the high school faculty and staff. Right?

It was actually a student council fundraiser! You paid a few dollars, take the test, and then get your match! It was pretty basic questions, like "do you prefer studying or being outside?" and it was all voluntary, but pretty much everyone did it. It was fun, but could get pretty awkward, as you can imagine. It was mostly student run but the faculty certainly supported it, and probably checked on questions to make sure the student council members were only putting in G rated questions! 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1

That sounds like a lot of fun. We only had Valentine rose grams that led to tears and awkwardness since I went to high school in the  pre-tech days. Now I’m sure there are lots of apps and websites that can match data and make it super easy to do this as a fundraiser.

Mohan was such a sweet father and husband. Continue to love the flashbacks.

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, twoods said:

Mohan was such a sweet father and husband. Continue to love the flashbacks

Yes. The memories of Mohan are a lovely counterpoint to the angst of the Valentine non-matches.

Also (using spoiler tags because I’ve seen episodes 1-5 and am not sure when this first happens):

Spoiler

Manish seems to mirror a lot of Mohan’s qualities as an ideal romantic and life partner.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 8/14/2022 at 11:51 PM, tennisgurl said:

Ben and Aneesa don't have much in common, and Devi built up her possible romance with Paxton so much that any real relationship would never live up to her expectations. Plus, her insecurity about dating Paxton was an issue even back when they weren't even dating.

Oh absolutely! I think Paxton hit the nail on the head - she can't have a lasting relationship if she doesn't like herself and what has she spent the last few seasons doing in the self destruction? Heh. The audience probably knew they didn't make sense, but I got the impression that he was into her more than she was into him due to the insecurity. Paxton had more to gain from that relationship than she did honestly (i.e. gaining self-awareness and less self-absorbed, caring about studying more, having empathy for others, taking responsibility for his actions, etc.), he was becoming a better person. Her only benefit was that her social status elevated her slightly amongst her peers. Even if she didn't have the insecurity, I think she'd have gotten bored of him eventually tbh, never meet your heroes Devi.

As for Ben and Aneesa, they didn't have much in common but that "library card" joke would've been a deal-breaker for me too. I know the "I'm smarter than everyone else" is just a coping mechanism to handle his loneliness, but he still has a way to go to mature. Although, when Devi and Ben briefly dated, he was a better person for it since she challenged him intellectually which brought out his nicer and more vulnerable/relatable side.

Devi brings out the better side in the guys she dates, it's just too bad she overthinks everything where she can't see it.

I'm so glad the girls on this show shut down the toxicity instead of laughing and smiling uncomfortably at rude remarks as if it were truth. They highlighted that a bit with Eleanor and that loser actor from a prior season but it's consistent all around and I like that.

Lastly, I want all of Nalini's wardrobe - her outfits and the hairdo are fab! 😃

Edited by Eri
  • Love 6
On 8/28/2022 at 10:01 PM, Eri said:

Lastly, I want all of Nalini's wardrobe - her outfits and the hairdo are fab! 

Me, too--she is just stunning. Unfortunately, as a short and overweight woman, I could never carry off her looks.

On 8/28/2022 at 10:01 PM, Eri said:

Lastly, I want all of Nalini's wardrobe - her outfits and the hairdo are fab! 😃

57 minutes ago, Paloma said:

Me, too--she is just stunning. Unfortunately, as a short and overweight woman, I could never carry off her looks.

If it makes you feel any better (probably not?) as a short woman whose BMI is exactly in the middle of the normal range, I can't pull off those styles either.
Interestingly (or unfairly?) I just plugged Poorna Jagannathan (Nalini)'s height (5'7") and weight (133lb) into the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute's BMI calculator, and her BMI is exactly the same as mine (20). I was sure she was thinner. 
My sister, who is the same height as I am, but whose BMI is "underweight" would look fabulous in Nalini's outfits (wornontv.net/never-have-i-ever/nalini and instyle.com/fashion/clothing/poorna-jagannathan-never-have-i-ever-fashion-interview and shopyourtv.com/tag/nalini-vishwakumar).

• Love 3

Wow! I too have an immigrant mother and she is also very fashion aware so maybe it rings true LOL 

It's interesting that Nalini still retains her cultural roots through wardrobe to stay connected to her homeland.

• Like 1