Type keyword(s) to search

Unintentionally Funny Moments

• Start Topic

The end of The Mummy Returns.

Rick O'Connell has just defeated the CGI monstrosity that was the Scorpion King and Imhotep runs up, screaming "NNNNNNNOOOOOOO!!!" two seconds too late.

I seriously think Arnold Vosloo just missed his cue and they couldn't reshoot for whatever reason.

• Love 1

It's such a cliche now, but, oh, those glittering vampires in the Twilight movies. The fact that they sparkle is bad enough, but, if you listen closely, it even makes that cartoonish, sparkly fairy dust "ding-a-ling-ling" sound. 

James Franco's acting in Spider-Man 2, especially the scene where, trying to sound outraged, he snarls, "I'm RUINED! It's all because of SPIDER-MAN!" Holy crap, he sounded like every single Kirk Douglas impersonator who ever existed, and it cracked my shit up.

• Love 2

I'm sure the big love scene in Watchmen was intended to be dramatic and meaningful, but between the use of dirgelike "Hallelujah" as its score and the hamfisted symbolism of that flamethrower bit at the climax, I couldn't help but laugh in disbelief.

Pearl Harbor and the "you're going to be a father" scene with Ben Affleck and Josh Harnett.  The intent of the scene was obvious:  they'd been best friends since childhood and Ben's character was trying to remind Josh's character that he had something to fight for, something live for, but it just came off bad and rather funny.

Pearl Harbor and the "you're going to be a father" scene with Ben Affleck and Josh Harnett.  The intent of the scene was obvious:  they'd been best friends since childhood and Ben's character was trying to remind Josh's character that he had something to fight for, something live for, but it just came off bad and rather funny.

I couldn't get past the brown mountains in the background of the Long Island scenes.

• Love 1

I couldn't get past the brown mountains in the background of the Long Island scenes.

How did I not see that?  Pearl Harbor is one of those stupid movies that I tend to stop and watch when I come across it, so I'll have to pay more attention next time.

Being a musical theatre geek, I saw Mamma Mia in the theatre several times with different groups of friends. Every single time, Pierce Brosnan's opening singing line made the audience die laughing. It was the combination of it coming out of nowhere, his dramatic turn over his shoulder as he began, and of course probably the voice itself.

• Love 1

When Brad Pitt gets nailed by the car in Meet Joe Black, the ENTIRE audience erupted in laughter.

I never saw Meet Joe Black, but the description reminds me of when Meg Ryan got hit by a truck in City of Angels lol. That's what her dumb-ass deserved for riding her bike with her eyes closed

• Love 1

Most of the first Twilight movie. I watched it with some girlfriends and I basically laughed at almost every time things got intense and emotional between Bella and Edward.  

After being harangued into seeing the 2nd one, I laughed maniacally every time Bella "saw" Edward.  And the scene where she's by the window as time passes, then screaming in bed is ridiculously hilarious. Good times.

• Love 1

All of Hayden Christiansen's 'acting' in the Star Wars prequels. Especially the utterly dreadful, supposedly romantic dreck in the second one. Now, I know the script and direction was shit as well, but that kid just wasn't ever cut out to be an actor.

The blatant homoerotica of 300 isn't unintentionally funny, in itself, but the fact that the moved is so loved by macho tools (in my experience) makes it hilarious.

I've been ragging on this movie a lot recently, but it definitely applies. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, where the young douchebag starts swinging from vines, with a whole bevy of monkeys following him. The sheer, CG-tastic crapness of it made me laugh out loud.

• Love 1

Even though I actually loved The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (that rare sequel that improves on the first movie's flaws), it does have two unintentionally funny moments for me:

1. The new cat to play Buttercup. Funny because, oh, dear, all the many possible scenarios! Did they realize how utterly unlike the book's Buttercup the previous cat was, and replace it, thinking we'd be too stupid to notice? Did Katniss make good on her promise to cook Buttercup, and did she get Prim a new one to make up for it? Or is sweet little Prim actually a budding sociopath who killed the last cat in order to get a new one? We may never know.

2. That poor old guy getting shot in the head in District 11. No, nothing funny about getting shot in the head… seeing his clean, whole, bloodless corpse get dragged away was. I know, I know, this is PG-13, but, good lord, couldn't they have pulled that off a little better?

Edited by Wiendish Fitch

The end of The Mummy Returns.

Rick O'Connell has just defeated the CGI monstrosity that was the Scorpion King and Imhotep runs up, screaming "NNNNNNNOOOOOOO!!!" two seconds too late.

I seriously think Arnold Vosloo just missed his cue and they couldn't reshoot for whatever reason.

This needs a youtube clup

I think The Mummy Returns was the first movie that I recognized as being bad as an adolescent. Before that, I just ate most things up or didn't like it because it wasn't appealing to kids. It did have this unintentionally funny moment though.

• Love 4

Ha! I have some affection for the (first two) Mummy movies because Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz, separately and together, carry both films.  And I can't forget John Hannah. It was also before I realized the troublesome subtext of such films, so I enjoy them in spite of themselves.

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 3

I have to preface this with the fact that I don't care for Shakespeare (mostly because I struggle with what they are saying), so I haven't read a lot of it--only what was required in high school which was only Julius Caesar and Merchant of Venice. The only Shakespeare production I've seen is the modern day Romeo and Juliet a number of years ago with Claire Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio (?).  But, I'd like to think, when watching it, that I know who is doing a decent job and who isn't.  I watched the 2000 version of Hamlet today (long story), with Ethan Hawke, and had to laugh at Bill Murray.  I just saw a comedian doing his version of serious Shakespeare during a stand up routine or in a comedy.  Not an actor trying to do some serious acting in a drama.  God love him--I think he's great, but it was funny watching him.

I know most people look awful when they cry, but Toby McGuire's cry face in the Spiderman movies is hilarious. On another note, In The Amazing Spiderman 2, I snickered every time Officer Stacy's ghost appeared out of nowhere with his disapproving face.

Edited by BatmanBeatles
  • Love 2

Being a musical theatre geek, I saw Mamma Mia in the theatre several times with different groups of friends. Every single time, Pierce Brosnan's opening singing line made the audience die laughing. It was the combination of it coming out of nowhere, his dramatic turn over his shoulder as he began, and of course probably the voice itself.

I will never ever understand what exactly the casting director was smoking during that movie. I don't think anyone is good exactly, but PB was insane. I love him too, but he cannot sing! Not like "oh he's not a very good singer", more like "tone deaf cat being tortured". It was so bad. I'll never understand why they didn't cast somebody who could at least carry a tune or dub him over.

It's so awful to admit, but I laughed out loud when Anne Hathaway died at the end of One Day. The movie had been going on for so long and then she goes for a bike ride and gets slammed by a truck and it kind of had a Monty Python quality to it. I just burst out laughing and then I realized everybody else was crying and the movie still wasn't over! How long is that movie? 10 hours?

I bought the book The Outsiders for my daughter and was immediately reminded of the scene in the movie when Matt Dillon/Dallas was in the hospital, pissed off that Johnny had died.  When he angrily said "We gotta do it for Johnny!", I laughed.  Not his best work (although, he was damn hot, but that will only get you so far :)

I bought the book The Outsiders for my daughter and was immediately reminded of the scene in the movie when Matt Dillon/Dallas was in the hospital, pissed off that Johnny had died.  When he angrily said "We gotta do it for Johnny!", I laughed.  Not his best work (although, he was damn hot, but that will only get you so far :)

That was kinda funny!

Avatar: Having "unobtanium" be the name of the mineral they're trying to mine.  I know later they said it was supposed to be a cutesy reference to something, but I HOWLED with laughter that everyone in the film kept saying it with a straight face.

When Quaritch get shot with that huge arrow by Neytiri, it looks like he has a huge smile on his face!

I have to preface this with the fact that I don't care for Shakespeare (mostly because I struggle with what they are saying), so I haven't read a lot of it--only what was required in high school which was only Julius Caesar and Merchant of Venice. The only Shakespeare production I've seen is the modern day Romeo and Juliet a number of years ago with Claire Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio (?). But, I'd like to think, when watching it, that I know who is doing a decent job and who isn't. I watched the 2000 version of Hamlet today (long story), with Ethan Hawke, and had to laugh at Bill Murray. I just saw a comedian doing his version of serious Shakespeare during a stand up routine or in a comedy. Not an actor trying to do some serious acting in a drama. God love him--I think he's great, but it was funny watching him.

I haven't watched this particular version in its entirety,so I can't really say how good or bad Bill Murray is, but Polonius is supposed to be comic character. He's a blowhard and most of what comes out his mouth is not to be taken seriously. Actually a lot of Hamlet is darkly comic.

The 1968 version of Romeo and Juliet with Leonard Whiting and Olivia Hussey had a few unintentionally funny moments.  The first has to be when Juliet meets Romeo at the church to get secretly married and they immediately run to each other and start making out so passionately that the friar has to practically pull them apart to start the ceremony.  He's like "Save you're legal, you too."  Hee.

Also what I found funny was how the morning after when Romeo has to leave Verona and Juliet gives the whole "it's not yet day" speech and right when they're about to get hot and heavy again, she suddenly pushes him off and tells him it really is day.  The whole startled look at Romeo's face just made me giggle.

When Brad Pitt gets nailed by the car in Meet Joe Black, the ENTIRE audience erupted in laughter.

I never saw Meet Joe Black, but the description reminds me of when Meg Ryan got hit by a truck in City of Angels lol. That's what her dumb-ass deserved for riding her bike with her eyes closed

I would like to add Sam Jackson's death in "Deep Blue Sea"

and Brad Pitt (again?) in "Burn After Reading".

When I'm feeling down, I just put these movies on and cut straight to these scenes; it cheers me up right away.

• Love 1

I caught the beginning of Case 39 on TV this morning. Renee Zellweger stars as a social worker who adopts a young girl from her murderous parents. Turns out the girl's parents had a very good reason to cooktize (tm Deep Blue Sea)  the girl...

There's this scene near the middle where Renee is terrorized by a demon that looks like something out of Courage the Cowardly Dog. Renee's character is tormented so badly, she's forced to hide under her bed. The demon kicks in her door and enters her bedroom ominously. It stomps over to the bed and then... It turns on the charm!

It gives her to the count of three, in it's most innocent, childlike voice, to come out and give in to it's demands.

The whole time, the camera is focused on Renee's bloated, wrinkled face (she seriously looked awful in this movie, sorry). Her eyes are like saucers and she's shivering with fright. Courage the Cowardly Dog is the only thing I can compare it to. I laughed so hard at this in the theater. I laugh every time I watch it on TV.

Edited by PrincessEnnui

I have to preface this with the fact that I don't care for Shakespeare (mostly because I struggle with what they are saying), so I haven't read a lot of it--only what was required in high school which was only Julius Caesar and Merchant of Venice. The only Shakespeare production I've seen is the modern day Romeo and Juliet a number of years ago with Claire Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio (?).  But, I'd like to think, when watching it, that I know who is doing a decent job and who isn't.  I watched the 2000 version of Hamlet today (long story), with Ethan Hawke, and had to laugh at Bill Murray.  I just saw a comedian doing his version of serious Shakespeare during a stand up routine or in a comedy.  Not an actor trying to do some serious acting in a drama.  God love him--I think he's great, but it was funny watching him.

Speaking of Shakespeare, anytime Keanu Reeves spoke in Much Ado About Nothing I found myself giggling. 

• Love 2
Speaking of Shakespeare, anytime Keanu Reeves spoke in Much Ado About Nothing I found myself giggling.

Amen. We watched this for English class back in high school, and when it got to the part where his character has successfully pulled off his evil plot and basically skips down a tunnel or something while going "Muhahahaha!" the whole class just erupted into laughter. I'm still fond of his portrayal for that memory alone!

• Love 1

Since somebody mentioned Twilight, I have a funny story. One day, I was sitting at the computer surfing the internet. My sister was watching TV channel surfing and suddenly stopped to watch something. I was listening with half an ear and heard a male voice making a weird creepy speech. I thought my sister was watching a Lifetime movie where a teacher or stepfather was making the moves on some poor innocent girl. I finally looked over and it was Twilight! I laughed my ass off and finally understood all the snark about this movie. True story.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 3
(edited)
Speaking of Shakespeare, anytime Keanu Reeves spoke in Much Ado About Nothing I found myself giggling.

How about his accent in Brahm Stoker's Dracula?

I think Keanu is one of those actors who should be seen and not heard ..... just have him stand in the corner looking good - speaking only ruins the illusion. 

Edited by OakGoblinFly

I think Keanu is one of those actors who should be seen and not heard ..... just have him stand in the corner looking good - speaking only ruins the illusion. 

He was spot on perfection in Parenthood, words included.

• Love 1
(edited)

The sex scene in Alexander. All the hissing and scratching. And then Oliver Stone did a new cut for the DVD that shared Colin Farrell's testicles for the world.

Edited by raezen
(edited)

The sex scene in Alexander. All the hissing and scratching. And then Oliver Stone did a new cut for the DVD that shared Colin Farrell's testicles for the world.

In To Live and Die in LA, there is also what we refer to as the nut sack shot, where William Friedkin treats (?) us to a shot of William Peterson's junk.  He's a fine  looking man and all, but I do not need to see that.  Why do these seemingly credible, Oscar-TM winning directors think this is something we want? 

Re Keanu Reeves, CBS Sunday Morning did a piece on him a while back because he's partners in a luxury-type motorcycle company.  When Reeves was talking about this stuff, he opened up, spoke intelligibly and intelligently, and became this whole other person I'd never seen before.  I came away thinking he might not be a total big dumb bohunk, but keeps the non-bohunk side well-hidden.  And as a person who likes her privacy, maybe I don't blame him.  

ETA:  Sorry about that typo - like the topic alone wasn't disturbing enough.

Edited by harrie
  • Love 1